mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Mojo SL 2x10 drivetrain help please!

My '08 SL frame is being replaced under warranty so I'm going to also renew my drivetrain components. I'm currently using XTR 970 3x9 with a 11-34 cassette.

I'm thinking of going with a 2x10 set-up as I rarely used by big ring and I want something the shifts better and is simpler. I also believe that a 2x10 set-up will almost cover all the gears from a 3x9 drivetrain?

I've read and scanned lots of pages here but I'm still confused. Can someone give me some clear guidance. What is the most popular 2x10 combination for all-mountain but NOT downhill?? I'm guessing it's 38-26?. I would like to stay with XTR but their double cranks seem to be more for XC racers (i.e. 40T & 42T)? I'm worried about doing away with the granny ring as I'm certainly no uphill racer.

I used to ride in the Alps (read: big hills!) but I'm now moving back to Ontario Canada so I will not be doing the same kind of long sustained climbs. It will be more twisty singletracks.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    There are some other threads that touch on this question, but briefly: Having done a lot of research on options for my HD, I settled on a double, not 2x10, with bash. That is, triple crankset with 24/36/bash. and Shadow Plus rear der (KEY part of this setup!). Very happy with it for AM riding. You could probably go a couple teeth up on an SL depending on how strong you are and how light you want it set up, but I like the 24/26 combo. spend almost all my time in the 36 but it's great to have the smaller ring there for when it gets grim and I get knackered. Others seem to like this gearing as well, but it all depends on your legs and lungs and terrain I guess.

Race Face makes a nice set of rings in this configuration. Could save you buying a new crankset.

A wholesale drivertrain replacement for this purpose is pricey!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
    There are some other threads that touch on this question, but briefly: Having done a lot of research on options for my HD, I settled on a double, not 2x10, with bash. That is, triple crankset with 24/36/bash. and Shadow Plus rear der (KEY part of this setup!). Very happy with it for AM riding. You could probably go a couple teeth up on an SL depending on how strong you are and how light you want it set up, but I like the 24/26 combo. spend almost all my time in the 36 but it's great to have the smaller ring there for when it gets grim and I get knackered. Others seem to like this gearing as well, but it all depends on your legs and lungs and terrain I guess.

Race Face makes a nice set of rings in this configuration. Could save you buying a new crankset.

A wholesale drivertrain replacement for this purpose is pricey!
    So, if I understand correctly, I need to replace the RD, FD and shifters for 10spd and I can keep my old XTR crank and replace the rings and add a bashguard? Will the shifting still be as good as with a 10spd optimized crank? Which model of FD do I need?

I've read elsewhere that I should just get the 38/26 XT cranks and I can also change the rings on these?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ludwig1 View Post
    So, if I understand correctly, I need to replace the RD, FD and shifters for 10spd and I can keep my old XTR crank and replace the rings and add a bashguard? Will the shifting still be as good as with a 10spd optimized crank? Which model of FD do I need?

I've read elsewhere that I should just get the 38/26 XT cranks and I can also change the rings on these?
    If you want to go 2x10, yes, you will need to replace all that stuff.

In principle, shifting will not be 'as good' as the spacing is slightly different on 10 speed. In practice, Race Face says, and my experience bears out, that the shifting on the smaller two rings works well, and it's the big ring that causes problems when trying to mix 9 speed cranks with 10 speed chain/cogs. I find the shifting to be just fine on my setup (2008 XT cranks with RF rings as described) but I have not had the chance to compare it to 'native' 10speed setup so can't really speak to the differences.

ONE other thing - it's tricky to adjust the F Der around the ibis pivot points when going double front like this, but again it's worked fine for me. Others may be more particular, however, so get other opinions.

Not sure what you mean by the second part: If you just get the 38/26 crankset (I guess you mean for native 2x10), you can't run a bash. That's important for me cause replacing rings gets expensive, and also because of the added security against dropping a chain. Since you say AM, maybe the same for you? I don't know how the 10speed crank spacing would play with 9speed cogset/chain, but they are definitely different systems. If you mean just replace the rings and go 2x9, that'd be a pretty tall easiest gear, at least for me.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hi, I am building similar set up than in original question, but I am still wondering which front derailleur should I get from shimano to my Mojo. Is the FD-M786 going to work or should I get the direct mount version (FD-M786-D) with direct mount adapter?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Any tips for a sl-r, rf sixc 24/36/bash, xtr Direct mount fd 3x? I am having a hell of a time with shifting up front, not smooth from 24 to 36. Everything is adjusted as normal, is there some trick I'm missing?