mtbr member

Mojo SL 1x10 conversion

I'm planning to change my 3x10 to a 1x10 ASAP. I've been running the 3x10 setup since I bought the bike 2 years ago and I'm noticing I rarely shift out of the 32 up front.

I need suggestions/advice on making the change. I'm thinking of maybe getting a zee crank and putting a raceface 32t on it, zee freeride rear derailer and zee shifter.

I run the saint stuff on my DH bike and am really happy with it so I thought it may be a good choice for the SL. That and the price is a big factor.

What are my options on a chain guide with the SL? Any suggestions on parts over the zee stuff?

Thanks

mtbr member

Mojo SL 1x10 conversion

So nobody runs a a 1x10 on the SL?

mtbr member
    I've been running Shimano 2x10, XT 770 crank 26/36, XT Cassette 11-36, XTR shadow rear der. I've got a Raceface Narrow Wide 32t ring that I haven't gotten around to mounting yet....I ran my first Mojo (well, not really "1st") 1x9 32T / 11-34 and liked it. Stoked to have a slightly lower low and higher high with the 1x10 & 650b rear wheel, but just haven't gotten around to setting it up yet.
    Sorry, nothing much to add about your component choices other than it sounds like it will be a solid working kick ass shimano setup that's not stupid expensive...AAAWWWLL Good man. The Zee cranks are available for 68/73mm bb shell, right? Do it and share some pics.

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by trap121 View Post
    So nobody runs a a 1x10 on the SL?
    Easy there, champ. Most people ride on Saturday, rather than sitting in front of the computer eagerly waiting to respond to your queries.

X9 crankset, MRP bling ring direct mount, E13 XCX guide (BB mount). Flawless. If you're on a tight budget, try the Wolf Tooth components chainring sized for your crankset. Even more flawless, and no chain guide needed when running a clutch derailleur.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Op, you dont need new crank.
    I converted last year from slx crank 3x10, now 1x10 with same crank, and used to run it with mrp chainguide.
    I just put raceface narrow wide 32t, no guide, with reg xt rd, no clutch. I did shortened my chain last year just to get more tension. Final weight now just under 26lbs, medium frame.
    This set up is working good for my style, just a bit of chainslap on rocky decent, doesnt really bother me.

mountain biker
    OP, you don't need to replace everything (unless you want to of course). I would take a stepped approach.

You can start by simply replacing your middle ring to a narrow-wide one (Race Face, WolfTooth, Absolute Black) and removing the big and little ring, front derailleur and shifter.

Does your current rd have a clutch? that would be the second thing I would swap out.
    I use to run the Zee rd, and it works super well. I'm testing out a medium cage SLX right now, which works well, but I think it's not as snappy as the SS rd was.

You don't need to swap out cranks unless you want different cranks for whatever reason, but certainly not necessary for 1x...
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member

Mojo SL 1x10 conversion

So after everyone's suggestions I think Im gonna keep the slx crank but take off the big and little ring, and add a narrow/wide 32t.

I'm going with the zee derailleur and E13 guide but keeping everything else stock.

I'll post pics when its done.

Thanks!

mtbr member

Mojo SL 1x10 conversion

Here are the pics of my newly updated 1x10 setup. Decided to go with zee brakes and just got my shock back from a custom tune at Push. Feels like a new bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trap121 View Post
    Here are the pics of my newly updated 1x10 setup. Decided to go with zee brakes and just got my shock back from a custom tune at Push. Feels like a new bike.
    Looks great! I am thinking about going 1x10 as well....I just went to a 2x9 and added a guide since I popped my chain off a couple of times on my frist ride. I have yet to try that but it added some weight that I wish I didn't have. Looks like a fun build, how much you weighing in at?

mtbr member

Mojo SL 1x10 conversion

Not sure on weight, its at the shop right now so I can have them weigh it when I pick it up.