mtbr member

Mojo sizing M or L

Ok so I did the whole bike sizing thing on wrench-science and they tell me I need about 690 effective top tube...

I am 1.80 and currently ride a M switchblade, although i have no issues on the bike I do feel that sometimes I wish I was abit more stretched... attached I have added a spreadsheet I created just looking at all the bikes I was interested and there sizing.
    Mu current bike "as the spread sheet has a effective length of 694 with a 110 stem. the Med Ibis with the same stem would give me 190... rather close.. if I had to take a large i would get a effective length of 700 with a 100mm stem, that way I can always put a shorter stem on to get shorter "like a 90mm," or 110mm to go longer...

Having the M Ibis and the M switchblade so close, what would be the better option... would one generally purchase a DS a size smaller as you don't want to be in a racing position? or should one just take a large and play with shorter stems.

I recently got a picture of one of the races I did and looked very cramped and slouched on my current bike, this maybe triggered something that maybe the frame is perhaps small for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I would certainly get the Large frame and run a 100mm stem to start. I am the same height as you and it fits great. For me, it could actually be a little longer. I was running a Tomac that was a 25mm longer than the Ibis. The Tomac was a little too long, but it worked really well. I may put a 110mm stem on the Ibis, but I don't want to put my weight too far forward for descending, so we'll see. Also, If you got a Med Mojo, it may require that you get an offset seatpost for your knee to be in the right place. The Large fits very well for me. You won't be disappointed!

--MXFanatic

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MXFanatic
    I would certainly get the Large frame and run a 100mm stem to start. I am the same height as you and it fits great. For me, it could actually be a little longer. I was running a Tomac that was a 25mm longer than the Ibis. The Tomac was a little too long, but it worked really well. I may put a 110mm stem on the Ibis, but I don't want to put my weight too far forward for descending, so we'll see. Also, If you got a Med Mojo, it may require that you get an offset seatpost for your knee to be in the right place. The Large fits very well for me. You won't be disappointed!

--MXFanatic
    I'm 5' 11" and I'm riding a Large with a 120mm stem. I bought a 100 mm stem but never bothered to put it on because I'm happy the way it is.
    I was on a Medium NRS before but I felt a little too cramped and the seat was all the way up.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MXFanatic
    ... If you got a Med Mojo, it may require that you get an offset seatpost for your knee to be in the right place. The Large fits very well for me. You won't be disappointed!

--MXFanatic
    Small detail. Size of frame won't matter for knee position over the pedals, because seat tube angle is the same for all sizes, like most bikes. Taller riders extend the post higher but the leg angles are the same.

The Mojo is dimensioned to NORBA Cross Country race "standard" for on centered seat position for a normal leg dimension for best climbing and accelerating efficiency without sacrificing too much handling stability.

If your upper leg is longer proportionately than the norm, or you want a seat position tuned for more tight and rocky trail but little climbing use, then a laid back seat position would be used.

I'm riding the Mojo in a more upright position than any previous mountain bike, and it still climbs easier that any other I've ridden in 25 years. This more upright position allows me to stand back behind the seat further making the Mojo more versatile for downhill and tight technical handling than a lower back stretched out position without sacrificing any climbing ability. Actually step up rocky sections while climbing are easier. I do bend my elbows slightly more when steep climbing than using a flatter back position, but that's a very insignificant tradeoff.