jceahodges

Mojo Sizing - Long Legs - Shorter Torso

Maybe I've missed it in all the other sizing threads, so if I have... my apologies.

I need sizing advice, but everyone else seems to be the opposite of me... I'm 5' 9.5" in sock feet with longer legs and a shorter torso and my inseam is 33"ish.

I currently ride a medium Titus Motolite (23.3" TT) with a straight shaft post and saddle pushed fairly forward coupled with a 105mm stem. From what I can gather... I'm on the fence between a Large and Medium Mojo.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

flow where ever you go
    I'm surprised no one responded yet.

I'd say you are best on a medium but either would work. I'm 5' 7.5" with 31.5" inseam. I'm totally comfortable on my small given a somewhat short torso for my height. I'm running a 110 stem and setback post with the seat forward of center. On a medium I might run a 90-100 stem and a straight seat post and would still be comfortable.

The best way would be to ride one or both, but I'll bet both will feel good for your size.

maybe with the bump you'll get more responses? Tall Tom usually finds these sizing questions sooner or later.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    I am 5'11" with 32" inseam and I ride a medium with 110mm stem. I've got 6 rides under my belt now, and am very happy. I struggled with the sizing decision, and could have easily gone large, but my LBS put a medium up on a block and watched me on it and thought the med looked perfect, and it felt good. I finally called Ibis with my sizing dilemma, and they were helpful. They told me I could go either way with my measurements...and when in doubt to go down. Tall Tom of Ibis summarizing their sizing philosophy this way, which was also helpful to me: Mojo fram e sizes...

With a slack head tube angle like Mojo, you are better off with at least a 100mm stem, and 120 is perfectly acceptable. And since the difference in effective top tube length between med and large is only 0.8", TT length is not a huge consideration here. To me, the main difference between M and L is the seat tube height: 17" vs. 19." In my opinion, the ST height doesn't matter much for someone on the margin, since you can adjust the seat post (and stem height) accordingly.

So when you are on the margin---and if you don't buy the "when in doubt, go down" Ibis philosophy---in a way it boils down to personal aesthetics: Do you like to show more or less seat post? I'm probably showing a bit more than average, and I've seen photos of other people's Mojo's in this forum showing very little post. Fortunately both ways look great.

Bottom line: If you can test drive a M and/or L and have a good LBS (like I do) that will adjust things for you for your test ride, definitely go that way. But if you don't have that luxury, for what it's worth I would recommend a medium for your measurements.

Cheers!

jceahodges

Thanks Guys!

Thanks "noshortcuts" and "getbusyliving," I was wondering if I'd been shunned or something... the feedback is greatly appreciated and it really helps. Unfortunately I don't have the benefit of a dealer within many states, so out of luck there. However, I don't think I can really go wrong with either one. I do believe I will swing towards the medium though. Thanks again and maybe "talltom" will chime in sooner or later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi, I also need help with sizing. I am 5 7" and ride a 17" hardtail with an effective top tube of 22.5". If anything I am wanting a longer top tube but having never ridden a dual suspension I don't know if the same dimensions should apply when swapping from a hardtail to a dually. I have been given different advice ranging from getting the small size to the medium, anyone my size that can help?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    you'll be fin on a med. My HT has 22.5 ( M Cove Stiffee)
    I have a Med Mojo with a 50mm stem. My focus is descending I am 5'10

I tried the large with my stem and felt that I wouldn't be inclined to go to a longer one, So I felt the med would give me better fine tuning options. I run a 160mm fork but I I did do an enduro I go for a 140 with an 80mm stem.

I actually don't think that the Mojo is all that shorter than other bikes on the market, infact it is almost identical to a Blur Lt2

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for that, I'll probably go with the medium. Cheers

half tread will travel
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jceahodges
    Maybe I've missed it in all the other sizing threads, so if I have... my apologies.

I need sizing advice, but everyone else seems to be the opposite of me... I'm 5' 9.5" in sock feet with longer legs and a shorter torso and my inseam is 33"ish.

I currently ride a medium Titus Motolite (23.3" TT) with a straight shaft post and saddle pushed fairly forward coupled with a 105mm stem. From what I can gather... I'm on the fence between a Large and Medium Mojo.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!
    hey ih, mojo's are great bikes...but what is your riding style..medium frame and 90/100mm stem for XC would be chosen by most riders is more flickable and no brainer to find good cornering and climbing traction... large frame and 50/60mm stem for AM would be more stable at higher speeds coupled with low wide bars...with that said i'm the same height as you but with a 34.5 leg extension i went for the large because of the high seat to longer front center ratio...i find this helps me to ride almost too fast with less tendency to get launched over the bars....good luck...
    tread lightly...earth is our playground

I am similar to you, and yet I have a Medium Mojo and I run a 70mm stem for it. I climb with no issues and going down the steep stuff is better with the shorter stem. I also run low rise bars. My front end may be a bit higher because I run the Fox 36 talas.

flow where ever you go
    2 years later and still on the small Mojo with 150mm Pace/DT Swiss fork.

I've experimented more with stem length and am currently running 90mm down from 110mm.

I am very comfortable on the bike running 90-110mm stems and a 15-20mm set back on the saddle.

With any stem between 90 and 110mm I feel stable and confident on the downhills and jumping and have never been over the bars. With less than 90mm the very steep ups lighten the front end which I don't like.

On a medium frame I may not want the set back seat post which would slightly shift my weight forward so maybe I could run a 70-90mm stem and still feel balanced.

There are many variables in finding the best fit including arm length, torso height, inseam, flexibility, riding style and terrain, etc....
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 03-09-2009 at 10:17 PM.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"