Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Mojo Seat Tube Insert Problem

So, I just got my Ibis frame and built up my bike. In the first mile of the first ride, I notice that the aluminum insert that Ibis uses in the seat tube is loose in the frame! The seat tube clamp is secure to both the insert and the seat post, but the insert will rotate and pull up a little. I guess I'll test out that excellent customer service later this morning when I call them. Anyone else have this issue? Or any ideas on how to fix it?

BTW: I think I'm going to really enjoy this bike if the seat tube insert problem can be fixed. It climbs surprisingly well and handles great. I'll post some build pics here in a bit.

--MXFanatic

mtbr member
    Never heard of that problem before. Hopefully there's a quick fix for something like that...

Let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So, I called Ibis and they didn't disappoint. Tom answered immediately and was very helpful! He immediately agreed to send me out a new front triangle. This is fantastic! I knew I picked the right manufacturer.

WAY TO GO IBIS!

--MXFanatic

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by MXFanatic
    So, I called Ibis and they didn't disappoint. Tom answered immediately and was very helpful! He immediately agreed to send me out a new front triangle. This is fantastic! I knew I picked the right manufacturer.

WAY TO GO IBIS!

--MXFanatic
    Wow! That's amazing. I haven't had any problems with mine, but if I do I feel confident it will be handled quickly.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

endorphin addict
    Mar 2006
    Ah yes, please excuse me while I go semi-OT on my soapbox....

I am music producer and studio owner. My recording equipment is my life and bread and butter. When choosing what equipment to base my studio around, instead of subscribing to the marketing rhetoric of mega-companies such as Digidesign (ProTools), etc, I chose to do business with a small manufacturer of a high-integrity audio recording hardware device Same exact story- any time I need anything, they bend over backwards to make it happen. You call tech support, you get a human in 30 sec or less. Their product is amazing, rock-solid, and stable, something you NEVER find with most software based recorders. Some might say you 'pay' for this service with a higher starting price..... compared to how bad so much customer service is in industries across the board right now, can you really put a price on outstanding customer service?

Just goes to show you that commitment to customer base is an invaluable tool and selling point for Ibis and all smaller manufacturers. We know how easy it is for one bad apple to spoil the bunch.... the current level of customer support ensures that we end users continue to sell the heck out of the Mojo/Silk with our exuberance and boundless enthusiasm.... no doubt, priceless.

Nice job, Ibis.

It's the axle
    I found that the seat clamp lever was more decorative than functional. My seat also slipped for the first few rides. Use a wrench and torque the screw until it's about right. Your seat will never slip again. Just my experience.

Hey G-Box, here's the new studio my friend just set up. Go ahead and drool.

http://www.earthwire.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the update on the seat clamp. My problem isn't with the clamp or the post. It is really with the part of the frame that the clamp clamps to. It looks like there is a bonding problem in the frame. The insert doesn't stay in the frame. Even with the clamp tight, the clamp, seat post, and frame insert will rotate and pull out. I'm sure this was just one of those one off situations. I'm excited about getting my replacement and getting back to riding.

--MXFanatic

mtbr member
    Ibis is definitely a stand out company. You can tell that they're comprised of a team of cycling enthusiasts who've created a dream bike of their own to sell to a select group of discriminating buyers.

Of course I wish them great success but at the same time, I hope they remain small... or at least retain that small company image.

You know my steez...

Uh oh, same problem!

Thanks for the update on the seat clamp. My problem isn't with the clamp or the post. It is really with the part of the frame that the clamp clamps to. It looks like there is a bonding problem in the frame. The insert doesn't stay in the frame. Even with the clamp tight, the clamp, seat post, and frame insert will rotate and pull out. I'm sure this was just one of those one off situations. I'm excited about getting my replacement and getting back to riding.

--MXFanatic
    Today while climbing up Caballero - a short but steep and fairly technical single track- I could feel my seat moving side to side slightly. I didn't want to break my momentum to tighten the seat post clamp so I waited until I reached a meeting spot about 3 miles into the ride. I tried to adjust the seat post clamp but noticed it wasn't loose. I moved the seat slightly to the side and the post and seat post clamp moved with it. I pulled up slightly and the whole assembly came right out of the frame with the seat post clamp still attached. I considered abandoning the ride but it was only my second off-road ride on it and I wasn't about to quit after 3 measly miles! So, I rode it with the seat moving around and....(big dramatic pause) it was STILL AWESOME!

I cant say that I'm too happy about the seat post moving around in the sleeve, but I do hope I have the same luck with getting it fixed as MXFanatic. I don't even want a new front triangle, just bond my together so it stays tight! Tom from Ibis, what can I do????

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wut, it seems there is a quality control problem, OMG

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    BunnV,

I'm sure you will get the same great service as I did. I hope that these are isolated issues, and not with the entire batch or dare I say, design. Either way, I'm sure that they will be resolved. I'm not sure if there is a way to bond the two together after the manufacturing. I thought about possible glue methods, but I was unable to come up with one that I was comfortable with at the time. Besides, I'd hate to try and fix it, then have to explain it if I had other issues. Better to have them warranty it now.

If there are any Carbon guru's out there that know about bonding carbon to metal, please enighten us...

--MXFanatic

It's the axle
    Argh. I posted without reading that the whole tube was loose.

It's the only part of the bike design I was nervous about. Just visual inspection. Not a well founded conclusion.

But you know, with Ibis as great a company as they are, I am reassured this won't be a disaster for the bike owners.

Man, you guys really come through. I hope for your sake that this isn't a big problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    BunnV,

If there are any Carbon guru's out there that know about bonding carbon to metal, please enighten us...

--MXFanatic
    Hello Forum!

It sounds like there's more than one of these. Of course call us or email and we'll take care of it.

If you just want to get riding with the least amount of effort here's an excellent, easy and still under warranty no matter what fix:
    JB Weld. at most harware and auto parts stores.
    It is a very strong metal filled 2 part epoxy. Very close to what they use to hold the dropouts in at the factory.

Or contact us and we'll get a new front triangle out to you asap.

Hans from Ibis

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the update Hans! I've used JB Weld in the past on other things, I just didn't know how it would do on the carbon.

I (as I'm sure others) really appreciate you guys reading and posting on the forums.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    When I got home, I thought I'd go ahead and pull out the insert to see what it really looked like before I sent it back. As you can see in the picture below, the insert is about 4 inches long and has a spiral groove in it. I think that the groove is to hold epoxy. Based on the shine on the epoxy, it looks like it cured too much before it was inserted in the frame. (or sandwiched. I''m not sure of the manufacturing process) The clearance into the frame seems nice and tight, so I don't think that's an issue. It will be interesting to see what Ibis thinks of this.

If the insert on the replacement triangle gets loose, I'll certainly use JB Weld on it. I will roughen up the insert and inside of the frame a little to help the epoxy bond. I'll keep posting updates as this goes along.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Smile Ibis Customer Service is Awesome

Hey-

Ibis will take care of you. I had a few minor issues. Mistakes happen etc - nothing is perfect. I was annoyed at first, but Ibis is super cool and laid back. They truly believe in thier product (which is a blast to ride). Hans is awesome, he should be a philosopher. This is by far the best company that I ever delt with. I have owned a number of high end bikes (will not name the companies), but all seem to have some sort of problem. It seems crazy for this to happen, but it does. However, Ibis responded the best....I love the bike! and now the company only adds to the whole experience....

You know my steez...

Ibis gave me options

........ it looks like it cured too much before it was inserted in the frame. (or sandwiched. I’m not sure of the manufacturing process) The clearance into the frame seems nice and tight, so I don't think that's an issue. It will be interesting to see what Ibis thinks of this.
    I think you are right. Mine looks the same. I took my bike to the dealer to show them and they called Ibis while I waited. Hans asked them if I was one of the guys that posted on mtbr about this problem! (How cool is that?) I told them yes and they put me on the phone with Hans.

Hans was very sympathetic to my problem and offered two options to get it handled. Like MXFanatic, he offered me a replacement front triangle. That is great, but I really don't want to wait what could be months for it to come in. The second option was something I really hoped he would say anyway. He told me it could be fixed using JB Weld. I know there is a previous post about that but I didn't see it before I spoke with him. I took my Mojo out of the LBS and drove straight to Pep Boys for the JB Weld.

I took the assembly apart (sleeve, post and clamp) and cleaned it as best I could. I didn't have any contact cleaner or alcohol so I used fine steel wool prep the outer part of the sleeve.

I mixed the JB Weld 50/50 as the directions said. Starting at about 3/4s of the way from the top, I smeared the entire sleeve with the JB Weld. I don't recommend doing it that way again! I should have only put JB Weld on the bottom half. When I pushed the sleeve into the frame (with the clamp attached so it would go in the exact, correct depth) a lot of the epoxy gushed out of the top and onto the paint on the seat tube. Luckily, Hans told me to be careful of that so I had a terry towel ready. The JB Weld wiped right off except for a fine, grey line visible between the seat post clamp and the orange paint.

I'm going to let the JB Weld cure for 24 hours before I touch it. I feel pretty confident that it will be in there tightly and for a long, long time.

Even though Ibis offered to replace my frame, I'd rather just fix this one and take my trip to Cannell Plunge (http://www.mountainbikebill.com/CannellPlunge.htm) on Thursday like I planed!

It's really a win-win option for me anyway since Ibis will STILL replace my frame if the JB Weld trick doesn't work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    BunnV, Thanks for the update and pics! I hope you enjoy your ride!

You know my steez...

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! waiting for the "cure"

BunnV, Thanks for the update and pics! I hope you enjoy your ride!
    My pleasure. I checked the bond this morning...it's really tight. I'm going to give it a full 24 hours to cure before I put the seat post back in and ride it. Of course I'll report the results.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    As promised, my replacement triangle from Ibis showed up yesterday! Fantastic! I put her all back together and she's ready to ride. Thanks Ibis!

You know my steez...

Follow-up on JB Weld fix

I just came back from a three day bike trip in Kernville Ca. I'm happy to report that I had no problems with the seat post insert. The riding in Kernville is really rocky and technical. I found myself adjusting the seat up and down much more than I ever do at my local trails. There was a lot of pounding from riding through rock gardens. The bond held tight and I had a fantastic time riding my Mojo!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Mine came out also

So, I just got my Ibis frame and built up my bike. In the first mile of the first ride, I notice that the aluminum insert that Ibis uses in the seat tube is loose in the frame! The seat tube clamp is secure to both the insert and the seat post, but the insert will rotate and pull up a little. I guess I'll test out that excellent customer service later this morning when I call them. Anyone else have this issue? Or any ideas on how to fix it?

BTW: I think I'm going to really enjoy this bike if the seat tube insert problem can be fixed. It climbs surprisingly well and handles great. I'll post some build pics here in a bit.

--MXFanatic
    Hey MX

Mine came out as well but like you mentioned Ibis has taken care of it with flying colors. I posted my experience on another thread ( I did not see this one)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Mine came out this morning. Will JB Weld it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Mine came out yesterday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Cross my fingers... my replacement triangle has been holding tight! Going to Durango tonight. I hope it stays in. Bringing the JB Weld with me just in case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast