Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Mojo or Racer-X

  1. #1
    The Crow
    Reputation: Iwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    826

    Mojo or Racer-X

    Battling to decide as it seems that the Mojo is billed as more AM and the Racer-X as XC racer.

    Any advise?

    Would adjustable fork (Talas or Revelation) help solve this problem? 100mm for XC and 130 for trail/jumps.

  2. #2
    MTB'er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwan
    Battling to decide as it seems that the Mojo is billed as more AM and the Racer-X as XC racer.

    Any advise?

    Would adjustable fork (Talas or Revelation) help solve this problem? 100mm for XC and 130 for trail/jumps.
    Adjustable fork on Mojo will only help on climbs, but on downhills you definitely need 140mm. So, no, Mojo still a different bike than Racer-X. My advice is, if you spend more time on trails than racing, go Mojo. If you spend (or are planning to) more time racing (or training for races) than just riding trails for fun, then go Racer-X.
    EnRodadera
    "I will not relent"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    147

    racer - out, mojo - in

    I had the Racer X 100 TI for more then 2 years. Got myself a Mojo couple of months ago. Put in about 300 miles on it so far. Transferred almost all of the components and have the same tire setup.
    Here is my 2 cent:
    On the climb
    Smooth and gradual – Mojo climbs as good as Racer
    Smooth and steep – climbing on Mojo requires more effort due to the head/seat angle
    Rough – Mojo wins (surprise, surprise!) It tracks a bit better. The rear does not brake loose as much. Although it has a tendency to dig down a bit to much when the shock is in the open mode.
    On the descend
    Mojo rules, no comparison. Much more stable, much more balanced much more trustworthy. My Racer always felt top heavy and a bit treacherous.
    Handling and cornering
    Mojo again. Very neutral, very predictable. Racer was a bit to edgy, bit to eager.

    Now to the superficial stuff.
    The Racer was indestructible (well, it was made out of TI).
    The Mojo already has some blemishes (due to the rocks that aspire to fly).

    Hope this helps.

    BTW I am running 130 in the front without any problems. As per Scott, both 140 and 130 can be equaly used.
    Last edited by jchembel; 07-18-2007 at 02:57 PM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    410
    I have owned two racer x's now, an 80 and a 100. Both of these bikes were great and I definitely still have an affinity titus bikes in general. Since building up my mojo this spring I am sorry to say, however, that I could never go back. The mojo is simply superior in every regard except perhaps for all out xc racing, as it is what the racer x is designed for. For the riding I do, the mojo surpasses the racer x in every regard. If I actively raced a lot of xc maybe I would still own a racer x, but as it stands now I am all about the mojo. More plush, same weight, climbs equally well, and lets me descend like I am on my dh bike (which now b/c of the mojo is pretty much relegated to resort trips only).

    Also, I have yet to identify a single scratch or nick on my frame despite multiple altercations with the terra firma and me smacking it. Granted most of the frame is covered in clear tape but I still don't think that the paint is as delicate as some have decribed.

    And lastly I have a 140 fork and it climbs great.

  5. #5
    it's the ride....
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    502
    Don't have either Mojo or Racer-X but I own a Motolite which to me is more comparable to the Mojo.. Racer-x is trailworthy race bike and Mojo could be a raceable trailbike (like Motolite). I would think the difference in geometry will reflect in ride balance which not always can be altered by adjustable fork. I feel odd when riding my Motolite with fork adjusted too short (<120mm).
    Pick based on your most ride time, trail or race like others said.

  6. #6
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,788
    You could set up a Mojo with the same fork as the RacerX and limit rear sag and firm up the travel with a good shock and have a bike as light and nimble as the alu RX, and pedal and brake better.

    The Mojo is a new generation XC bike that can cross into almost severe AM and DH use.

    The RacerXis a fine bike but far more limited in uses than the Mojo.

  7. #7
    GMM
    GMM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    821
    I'm late to this thread I know, but I am curious to hear from former RX owners about the differences in handling on steep descents between the Mojo and RX. I currently own an RX-100 that I think climbs fantastically and corners very well, but in my opinion it is downright scary on steep descents. I just have the feeling that I am going to go over the bars all the time (and in fact do occassionally), and I didn't realize how bad it was until I test rode a Blur LT and instantely improved my downhill skills exponentially.

    So I am considering the BLT and Mojo (geometry seems almost identical on large), and if the Mojo handles as well as the BLT (very confidence inspiring on steeps and through the rough stuff), I would be inclined to go Mojo do to lack of VPP maintenance and better lateral rigidity.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    410
    So I think that you pretty much have it all figured out. All I can say is that I believe you are completely correct on all counts. I had a racer x 100 before the mojo and after a period of riding my dh bike almost exclusively I hopped on the racer x again and was seriously freaked out after the first descent. I made the descision right then to find a bike that had a slacker head tube angle and a bit more squish to better match the feel of my longer travel rig. After logging a solid number of miles on the mojo now I am completely confident that I made the right decision. This thing climbs like the racer x did, it weighs the same, and lower the seat a bit and I can descend like I do on the dh bike-totally confidence inspiring. So I think you are on the right track and I think of you decide on the mojo it won't dissapoint.

  9. #9
    GMM
    GMM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by sessionrider
    So I think that you pretty much have it all figured out. All I can say is that I believe you are completely correct on all counts. I had a racer x 100 before the mojo and after a period of riding my dh bike almost exclusively I hopped on the racer x again and was seriously freaked out after the first descent. I made the descision right then to find a bike that had a slacker head tube angle and a bit more squish to better match the feel of my longer travel rig. After logging a solid number of miles on the mojo now I am completely confident that I made the right decision. This thing climbs like the racer x did, it weighs the same, and lower the seat a bit and I can descend like I do on the dh bike-totally confidence inspiring. So I think you are on the right track and I think of you decide on the mojo it won't dissapoint.
    Beautiful, that's the feedback I was looking for.

  10. #10
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,509
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM
    I'm late to this thread I know, but I am curious to hear from former RX owners about the differences in handling on steep descents between the Mojo and RX. I currently own an RX-100 that I think climbs fantastically and corners very well, but in my opinion it is downright scary on steep descents. I just have the feeling that I am going to go over the bars all the time (and in fact do occassionally), and I didn't realize how bad it was until I test rode a Blur LT and instantely improved my downhill skills exponentially.

    So I am considering the BLT and Mojo (geometry seems almost identical on large), and if the Mojo handles as well as the BLT (very confidence inspiring on steeps and through the rough stuff), I would be inclined to go Mojo do to lack of VPP maintenance and better lateral rigidity.
    Steeps and through the rough stuff are the two main places the Mojo bests the BLT. Maintains a line better, front end stays planted on climbs, is more predictable in the rough, more plush and better balanced. Yes, I am a former BLT owner. Love it. Great bike. The Mojo is better in most ways.

    "I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

  11. #11
    GMM
    GMM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    Steeps and through the rough stuff are the two main places the Mojo bests the BLT. Maintains a line better, front end stays planted on climbs, is more predictable in the rough, more plush and better balanced. Yes, I am a former BLT owner. Love it. Great bike. The Mojo is better in most ways.

    Wow, hard to imagine the Mojo is more plush. The BLT felt like I was riding on a magic carpet. I thought it was amazing climbing technical trails, as well as descending of course. In what ways is the BLT better than the Mojo? Just trying to understand the different riding characteristics the best I can. I really was blown away by the BLT, but it seems like the Mojo may be even better.

  12. #12
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,509
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM
    Wow, hard to imagine the Mojo is more plush. The BLT felt like I was riding on a magic carpet. I thought it was amazing climbing technical trails, as well as descending of course. In what ways is the BLT better than the Mojo? Just trying to understand the different riding characteristics the best I can. I really was blown away by the BLT, but it seems like the Mojo may be even better.
    The BLT gave me a feeling of a quicker sprint starting slow or from a stop. Climbing smoother hills it felt more efficient too. I don't know if these are true or just a feeling. Perhaps a difference between stiff aluminum and absorbing carbon providing a real (or felt) difference in power transfer. Perhaps a suspension difference.

    But with any amount of rough stuff, the rougher the better, the Mojo wins. Going up it turns every bump into power forward and coming down it sucks up every bump with plush grace.

    We're in a racer-x / mojo thread, so if you want more BLT / Mojo opinions, do a search in the Ibis / Santa Cruz sections or start a new thread.

    "I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •