mtbr member
    May 2006

MOJO with PUSH RP23

I am reporting on the first ride with a PUSH RP23 on the Mojo.....its early days and I expect to have more to say as I get into the fine tuning so these are the first ride impressions.
    I found I am running the shock at slightly lower pressure to get the same sag. First thing out I notice small bump compliance is much improved. This is great! Feels very smooth at the back.
    Ripping through undulating bomb holes, rather than jumping off them, I was getting full travel in a very linear way, [whereas before the Push the RP23 was giving it up a bit sudden at the end of the travel, which is opposite I what I was expecting]. Also taking off from some sweet kickers I didnt notice bottoming out on landing. There is an improvement deeper in the travel but I find it hard to describe!
    Cornering, first impression there was a litte more traction, but this needs more ride time to give accurate feedback.
    I would say its been worth the $ spent but on the down side the improvement is pretty subtle. Noticible if you are fine tuned rider but maybe a bit subtle for some. It has shown up other things that were not so obvious before, like it was more important to get front and rear sag tuned together, and how the Nobby Nics I am using have a bit of wander on fast descents......also how even an inch difference in the saddle height affects the handling, something I had never noticed before. I will keep you all posted. By the way the bike is one hell of a sweet ride....still can't fault it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Did you opt for the oversized air sleeve with the Push rebuild? I am about 170 lbs w/ riding gear, and wonder if the push upgrade is worthwhile?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsuma
    I am reporting on the first ride with a PUSH RP23 on the Mojo.....its early days and I expect to have more to say as I get into the fine tuning so these are the first ride impressions.
    I found I am running the shock at slightly lower pressure to get the same sag. First thing out I notice small bump compliance is much improved. This is great! Feels very smooth at the back.
    Ripping through undulating bomb holes, rather than jumping off them, I was getting full travel in a very linear way, [whereas before the Push the RP23 was giving it up a bit sudden at the end of the travel, which is opposite I what I was expecting]. Also taking off from some sweet kickers I didnt notice bottoming out on landing. There is an improvement deeper in the travel but I find it hard to describe!
    Cornering, first impression there was a litte more traction, but this needs more ride time to give accurate feedback.
    I would say its been worth the $ spent but on the down side the improvement is pretty subtle. Noticible if you are fine tuned rider but maybe a bit subtle for some. It has shown up other things that were not so obvious before, like it was more important to get front and rear sag tuned together, and how the Nobby Nics I am using have a bit of wander on fast descents......also how even an inch difference in the saddle height affects the handling, something I had never noticed before. I will keep you all posted. By the way the bike is one hell of a sweet ride....still can't fault it!
    Interesting, I used a ROMIC, 2005/6 Rp3 and a 2005/6 RP3 PUSH on my previous bike (a Horst 5-spot) and the difference was quite drammatic. It confirms the sensitivity of old-style linkages to shocks.

Here is a summary of the original review

Three position lever: Main difference with the standard RP3 is the very large diffeence between settings. Plush is Plush (lovely for downhill and for the end-of-ride-sore-butt-time), and Max Platform let me jump on the pedals and hammer. The nice thing is that the positions are all fully usable. You can go around in the plush and be happy. ADVANTAGE PUSH.

Climbing. RP3, ROMIC and PUSH RP3 climb about the same when put at max platfor, still the PUSH is much more reactive (I don't know how they manage to do so) and there is less penalty for using the max platform setting. ADVANTAGE PUSH.

At Speed This is where the PUSH RP3 made a huge difference. It literally transformed the bike. There is level of control in the midstroke that needs to be experienced to be believed. While the ROMIC, and RP3, blew through their travel so much that they gave the impression that the bike was "wobbly", the PUSH seem to put the bike on rails. Smooth. glued to the ground HUGE ADVANTAGE PUSH.

Mid Bumps/Mid speed Some of above. The "support" offered by the push shows in technical situations. Going up stairs, over logs, wheeling uphill are all situations in which one feels a solid platform under his legs ADVANTAGE PUSH.

Small Bumps/low speed For all shocks the performance depends on the setting of the platform. Spotty is not good with small bumps and it suffers no matter what shock you use. I still give the small advantage to PUSH in respect to RP3 because in the mid and plush setting it almost erases small obstacles, while the RP3 is quite bad. Romic is fine, better than RP3.

As you can tell I was quite enthusiastic about PUSH: it was actually the first time after 2 years that Spotty (my 5-spot) performed at least somewhat close to hyperbole. Now, it is interesting that you find small differences. There are 2 possibilities: either Fox as improved, the RP23 is better then the RP3, or the DW-link works so well that the shock makes less of a difference. That can actually be the case: at the end of the story my Mojo with a standard Rp3 ( in the non platform position) climbs and descend better then my previous bike (making full use of the PUSH 3 stages platform positions).

By the way, did PUSH do anything special with the multi-position? Did they set up an ultra plush one (less compression dumping)?
    Last edited by Davide; 03-26-2007 at 07:58 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan
    Did you opt for the oversized air sleeve with the Push rebuild? I am about 170 lbs w/ riding gear, and wonder if the push upgrade is worthwhile?
    No I kept the standard can....took the advice of guys at TF Tuned {UK}.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    As you can tell I was quite enthusiastic about PUSH: it was actually the first time after 2 years that Spotty (my 5-spot) performed at least somewhat close to hyperbole. Now, it is interesting that you find small differences. There are 2 possibilities: either Fox as improved, the RP23 is better then the RP3, or the DW-link works so well that the shock makes less of a difference. That can actually be the case: at the end of the story my Mojo with a standard Rp3 ( in the non platform position) climbs and descend better then my previous bike (making full use of the PUSH 3 stages platform positions).

By the way, did PUSH do anything special with the multi-position? Did they set up an ultra plush one (less compression dumping)?[/QUOTE]

Yea I get your enthusiasm.......I guess I was expecting a bit more from the PUSH....the small bump improvement is great, but the rest is subtle. Cant tell you about the Platform settings as they didnt work after the refit so I sent it back to TF Tuned today. I have never had to use the Propedal setting with the Mojo I will keep updating this as I tune the ride.

It's the axle
    Kidsuma,
    You haven't used the Propedal with the Mojo?

I know this is hijacking the thread, but I'm curious how you pedal up climbs out of the saddle.

Uh oh, beer o'clock. There's an ice cold Sapporo waiting...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Gregg K....well I sort of stand up and spin my feet round and hey presto...I climb.....sorry!...I never noticed a problem without the Propedal.....personally I cant stand platforms.....guess that's why my other ride is a Maverick. Tell me why you use it!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey guys.....my Pushed RP23 is dialled in and the Mojo ride gets better and better. If you have the $ or the then get it done. Also either Hans or Tom mentioned they are looking at having Push do something on the RP23 on all new bikes.....the way to go, especially when you hear that the standard RP23 has a sprung loaded damping thingumajig.