mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Mojo Paint Chipping

Has anybody had any issues with the colored Mojos' paint chipping? I'm trying to decide between getting a colored bike or one of the carbon black ones. The colors (especially the orange and the green) are quite stunning, but they might not look that great in the long run if they chip significantly. Please note that I plan to wrap the chain stay with road handlebar tape or a Lizard Skin so that should be protected. Does anyone have pictures they could post of the chipping? Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks, I searched before, but didn't see this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

The rest of the story:

Hello from Ibis!

That one had a problem with the paint adhesion and we took care of it. It's part of our demo fleet now and looks OK overall after we touched it up.

Clear does seem to be the toughest overall. It's also less noticable when there is a chip.

Hope this is the info you were looking for,

Factory Guy

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks Ibis. This has been very helpful. I was also PMed by a previous poster who was extremely complementary of your exceptional customer service. I think you have built an incredible AM bike and this is by far the best 26er out there for my purposes. At this point, the only thing holding me back is the 26 vs 29er concept as I've been on big wheels for a few months now and really enjoyed it. I'm trying to figure-out whether I can realistically go back and forth between the two wheel sizes without screwing-up the riding style. If I buy a 26er it will definately be the Mojo!

mtbr member
    You can ride both 26 and 29. I do fine having both.

Green Mojo

Green Mojo

I received mine chipped out of the box. (I was told I would eventually get some touch-up paint by Ibis, but I suspect they forgot.....???)

It has incurred a few more chips over the 5 months I have been riding but they are few and far between for the many miles I put on mine. I love my green bike.

Go for the green!

We're going down WHAT??

I was worried about that when I first saw those bikes....

I saw these bikes at Interbike this year and they are gorgeous. I ws really worried about the paint adhering to the carbon fiber. I saw some very light chipping or flaking on the Ibis bikes used on the Shimano XTR booth. I do suppose those frames were used a ton to put on and take off parts and I would expect some wrenching to be a bit heavy handed at times. I also met the group who designs, builds and markets these bikes and they are an absolute first class group, Unfortunately I am not currently in the market for a new bike or else I would have been happy to purchase one from these folks. I think if you do have an issue you will be in good hands. (As seen by the reply above from one of their own.....)
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerneil
    I received mine chipped out of the box. (I was told I would eventually get some touch-up paint by Ibis, but I suspect they forgot.....???)

It has incurred a few more chips over the 5 months I have been riding but they are few and far between for the many miles I put on mine. I love my green bike.

Go for the green!
    Doh! I hate when that happens!
    Please PM your address and we'll send some Green touch up paint your way asap.

Hans