Thread: Mojo Options...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Mojo Options...

Hey folks....

As a longtime lurker and recent New Hampshire transplant into Northern California, I am dying to get back into Mountain Biking.

I used to race cross-country and work at a shop....ridden tons of dualies from my original canary yellow Trek Y33 (love it or hate it, that thing looked amazing and was crazy light...if only the ride was better LOL) to a Rocky Mountain Element Team SC.

Now that I'm 28 and not racing, I want to have more fun on the bike but still be able to ride hard when I want to. I came across an Ibis Mojo at Trail Head Cyclery in San Jose this week and fell in love. I had originally planned on spending $2k or less to get back into the sport (need to get back in riding shape). However, this bike has me looking for a buyer for one of my kidneys on the black market.

Any suggestions for making a Mojo as price-conscious as possible? Although I'd love to just grab the SX group and get an entire bike at once for instant gratification (and just ride from the shop direct to the trails!), I'm thinking I could save some serious cash finding a frame in good condition and starting off with a more modest build kit.

Having ridden on all top-end gear before I dropped out of the sport, I'm wondering how dramatic the difference in components will be.....

I work for a major graphics card company in Santa Clara.....maybe I can find someone into high-end computer parts that wants to part ways with a Mojo! LOL

Any creative ideas? What would you do in my situation?

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    The Ibis builds are very cheap for what you get. You could never spend any less if you wanted to piece the bike together yourself. Even if you happened to get a frame on the cheap....and I mean like 1/2 price which is highly unlikely anyways, there's no way you could get a parts kit together that would be less than the SX build kit. Even if you sprung for a "modest" build kit, the kits are pretty much drive train only. You would still need to buy the fork and the wheels which are the most expensive components. After that, you add the stem, handlebar, seatpost, saddle, tires, and you will be way over just buying the bike complete.

If you could find a complete used Mojo (occasionally seen on ebay or in the classifieds here), that would be a much better option than buying a used frame

OR, just suck it up and get the SX build.

My $.02

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    yea, it's tough to drop 3k on a mojo right away but hey if you buy it new then you still have the warranty and you know how the parts have been treated. Maybe buy the bike and save $1000 on gas for example
    Last edited by sharpshooter; 03-19-2008 at 12:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Looks like a Ramen diet for the foreseeable future...

I'll keep my eyes out for used, but a part of me hopes I don't find one and end up splurging on the new kit....

Gotta love the wild nuclear pesto!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You didn't say what size you are looking for, but if you need a large you might want to jump on this one:

Auction for Large Mojo, closes in 17 hours

Course, you could always sell some of your NVidia stock and splurge on a WTF.

holding back the darkness
    I bought a frame and built mine up mostly from ebay and craigslist and got a few things via a shop hook-up.. I figure that on the whole bike, paying retail for the frame I saved about 45%. Of course it took months and almost cancelled my wedding and made me into an online shopping addict... but hey I got some great deals!
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the input guys!

I'm looking for a Medium.........might just bite the bullet and dump it on the credit card......Then again, I figure I have a little bit of time to weigh all my options and see if any crazy deals come by....