mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Mojo Noise Problem need help... still

I bought my bike in December, I love it, I didn't get to ride during the Tahoe "winter" bad winter but still too much snow to ride. I am back on the bike and training for the Transrockies ride on my Mojo. All is great but I am still have problems with noise. It's basically in anytime I am pushing hard in the top 1-3 rings in the rear and only with the small and med chainring up front. It makes noise like it's not quite right or happy. I have tried many things but it's still there and still drives me crazy. I have new pedals, tried greasing the seat, I still think that it has something to do with the derailler, chain or rear cassette. What could this be and how can I fix it, I have taken it to a few shops and spent a few bucks but no luck. I did notice the chain patch doesn't seem to be as staight as it should be.

Any further ideas would be helpfull, I need to get this dialed. Please please please

Keep Riding !!
    Assuming that by the top 1-3 rear rings you mean the smallest (highest) gears ie 11/12, 13, 14/15 tooth etc its likely that the chain is rubbing against the next chainring ie when in the granny its rubbing against the middle ring & when in the middle ring its rubbing against the large etc. This is quite common on road bikes (9/10 speed cassettes) in that you just can't use you top reag gears when on the smaller chainring
    This is often/usually caused by a narrow offset (space between) in your chainrings.
    To avoid this you simply need to change up on your chainrings before you get into the smaller rear gears.

Of course if my initial assumption is incorrect I can't readily think of a cause without seeing/hearing for myself.
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant lowest gears, (not sure if I have a 32 or 34 or what) it's last years xtr. I thought maybe it was torque related but it does it in the same gears in the middle chain ring too. I have tried borrowing different wheels, cranks, and just about everything to test it. It sounds like chain rubbing but I can't find anyplace that it is or could be when I am off the bike, perhaps something different is happening one the suspension is loaded for sag with my body weight.

Any other ideas?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckeemtb
    Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant lowest gears, (not sure if I have a 32 or 34 or what) it's last years xtr. I thought maybe it was torque related but it does it in the same gears in the middle chain ring too. I have tried borrowing different wheels, cranks, and just about everything to test it. It sounds like chain rubbing but I can't find anyplace that it is or could be when I am off the bike, perhaps something different is happening one the suspension is loaded for sag with my body weight.

Any other ideas?
    Pretty hard to diagnose a creak or rub without hearing and riding the bike.

Is the front derailleur cable adjusted a bit too tight (outward)? It always takes me a few rides of trial and error to fine tune the alignment of a new front der to not rub the chain in any gear, except the small/small gears if any must rub.

Sometime you can isolate strange noises by spraying or dripping a little water from you r water pack in one area then another until the sound changes while riding. Water acts like a short-term lube and creaks and rubs can be silenced or sound different until the water evaporates. And sometimes the water cleans some dust out that causes the noise.