mtbr member
    May 2005

Mojo and MUD (Uk riders got an opinion?)

Looking at a Mojo to replace Iron Horse Hollowpoint (Mark 2.5 - very much like the Mkiii but with a different shock mount point on the down tube. I have absolutely loved the DW-link supension and this is one reasons why i'm looking at Mojo. But I have huge problems with rear tire clearance in the winter though (mud and leaves get crammed in so badly that you can't even pedal).

What are your experiences with this issue on the Mojo? I am particularly concerned with that lower link. It just looks like it could too easily get stuffed with junk flying up off the trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've got 2.1 IRC Mibros on my Mojo and I've never had any tyre clearance problems. The great thing about the linkages is they are easily servicable should the need arise.

www.derbyrims.com
    The Mojo has better mud clearance than the Hollowpoint or MKIII. I'm using a 2.4 tire in mud with no mud clearance issues.

But mud is different everywhere. Some places it's much more sticky or cakes easily to the tires compared to where I ride mostly when muddy.

I've fabricated a mud guard for the rear wheel using a short section of a front fender attached with a zip tie rapped around the chain stay just below and behind the lower link and attached to the seat stays with velcro inside the cable guides. The rear swingarm moves with the wheel so it works pretty well unless I bottom the suspension which pushes the fender to rub the tire and I have to stop to clear it. I just ride easier when the fender is there to avoid the occasional bottoming problem. This fender keeps the rear pivots and front derailleur area nearly dry and clean. I can post a picture when I'm home at my computer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Rider
    Looking at a Mojo to replace Iron Horse Hollowpoint (Mark 2.5 - very much like the Mkiii but with a different shock mount point on the down tube. I have absolutely loved the DW-link supension and this is one reasons why i'm looking at Mojo. But I have huge problems with rear tire clearance in the winter though (mud and leaves get crammed in so badly that you can't even pedal).

What are your experiences with this issue on the Mojo? I am particularly concerned with that lower link. It just looks like it could too easily get stuffed with junk flying up off the trail.
    You are correct that the link area in front of the rear tire (at bottom of seat tube) is a magnet for mud. When I've gotten home I've had to do some serious rinsing to clear that area. However, I haven't had any problems at all with clearance after 4 muddy rides in the past two weeks---though the mud in Marin (N. California) is probably less sticky than what I've heard about the U.K.

The good news is there's a decent amount of frame clearance around on all sides of the rear tire, even with 2.35" Nevegals (which seem more like 2.5" of typical tires), so you're probably still OK...likely no worse than most other frame designs.

Also, I saw Derby on the trail the other day, and he has a serious DIY fender (and then some!) setup that would probably solve most any mud issues, so maybe he'll post some pics. He and his Mojo were alarmingly clean at ride halfway point, while I and my Mojo were pretty much uniformly brown!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by getbusyliving
    Also, I saw Derby on the trail the other day, and he has a serious DIY fender (and then some!) setup that would probably solve most any mud issues, so maybe he'll post some pics. He and his Mojo were alarmingly clean at ride halfway point, while I and my Mojo were pretty much uniformly brown!
    Pictures, pictures, please

www.derbyrims.com

THE ugliest Mojo in the world

Quote Originally Posted by maurocif
    Pictures, pictures, please
    I want to add some close ups I've got stored at home (I'm at work now) but I can post these copied from other posts.

Notice the downtube and swingarm fenders. They protect the drivetrain very well.

Edit: I added close-ups of the swingarm fender (notice the relatively mud-free chain). Also the downtube fender side view - hard to see but the fender wraps back and up to the BB shell area where it's attached by velcro - to give shape to the fender to stay in front of the rings to shield from spray. The downtube fender is attached by sticky-back Velcro at the top of the fender and by one water bottle bolt to solidify the mount. I stuck the Velcro to pieces of wide tape for ease of removal and reuse.

The fork mounted, and seat tube mounted, fenders are by T.H.E. (Toby Henderson Enterprises) Downhill rock protection fenders, which are extended with black plastic sheet pieces cut to size to protect the rider from mud and rain spray. The swingarm fender is the rear half of a downhill fender extended with plastic sheet. The front extension of the front fender is a second front fender piece attached to extend to work for mud and rain. Approximately $60 total cost in fenders, plastic sheet, sticky-back Velcro and tape.

The Downtube fender is an evolution of the original “fugly fender” invented by “Brown-Tooth” who lives in the San Luis Obisbo, CA area (I still owe you a case of beer for the great idea!). My fuctional evolution of the “fugly” is the section that hangs down below the rings – that makes a huge difference protecting the slack chain area behind the rings from front wheel spray.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by derby; 02-06-2008 at 08:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    SWEET! Good idea!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Derby/all, thanks for the feedback. Good news on normal tire clearance. The other area i was worried about was between the lower link and frame/BB. I feared that enough gunk could get stuffed in there to prevent the linkage having full movement but no one has cited that so i am assuming all is good!

Derby, if someone described your eleborate mud guard set up to me i would have laughed and thought it an ugly monstrosity. But i have to admit it looks alright. It blends in fairly well with the naken fiber frame and must do a brilliant job. I'll look to copy some of it. Cheers

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Rider
    Derby/all, thanks for the feedback. Good news on normal tire clearance. The other area i was worried about was between the lower link and frame/BB. I feared that enough gunk could get stuffed in there to prevent the linkage having full movement but no one has cited that so i am assuming all is good!

Derby, if someone described your eleborate mud guard set up to me i would have laughed and thought it an ugly monstrosity. But i have to admit it looks alright. It blends in fairly well with the naken fiber frame and must do a brilliant job. I'll look to copy some of it. Cheers
    The downtube fender especially acts like a small sail. Try to avoid much time riding into headwinds!