18 33.33%
  • Mojo SL

36 66.67%

Thread: Mojo or Mojo SL

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Mojo or Mojo SL

hey folks!

i'm looking to purchase an ibis mojo frame sometime in the next few months... but it comes down to the mojo or the mojo sl...

is the sl worth the extra 300 or so bucks?

sell me on one or the other please! convince me! pros/cons, etc.

for reference, i'm 6'1, 160 lbs with gear, aggressive xc here in socal's san gabriel mtns, blah blah...

i'll be switching over components from an old 03 specialized epic with the retarded "brain" shock. just worth mentioning i think. haha

thanks!

aka dan51
    If I were to make the choice now, I would decide on color and choose which model it came in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Happy when not-last.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    If I were to make the choice now, I would decide on color and choose which model it came in.
    You know, I was thinking the same thing.
    All your base are belong to ME.

Church of the Wheel
    Depends mostly on how much of a weight weenie you are. $300 to cut 1/2 pound or so off a frame is a good deal for the true weight weenie.

I didn't start out as a weight weenie. But it's a disease that you catch, like a cold. Except you don't really get better from it.

By all accounts, both frames ride the same otherwise.

Oh, and the rubberized finish on the matte clear SL is trick.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    haha alrighty... as for the colors, i really dig the SL's trans blue and the white. the regular mojo colors aren't bad also.

when it comes time to pull the trigger, i'll ask about the SL and it's available colors. i do want that rubberized finish to help with scratches and such. it's not that i mind them... they add character!

i'm not a weight weenie perse but i'd rather not have a build more than 30 lbs.

thanks for the replies guys! keep em' coming!

Let the good times roll.
    But didn't Ibis do away with the rubberized finish on the matte clear? I remember reading that somewhere.

mtbr member
    I think they offer the rubber finish on only the matte clear of the SL bike.

I want a white ibis, so I would have to pick the SL...
    I like Guinness Foam a lot, I would just buy the titanium bolt kit separately and viola! you have a Mojo SL with a QR seat collar

mtbr member
    To me it wasn't the weight, it was the lopes link, Ti bolts, and the stiffer carbon.

Church of the Wheel
    Ti bolt kit can be had for less than $300, nobody reports being able to feel stiffness difference between Mojo and Mojo SL, and both already come standard with Lopes links. Only differences that are actually noticeable are the weight and the rubberized paint option.

mtbr member
    I'm just saying why I went with the SL, regardless of whatever you read it is made of a different stiffer carbon, and regardless you would have to still pay for the ti bolts, and third I didn't realize the standard mojo came with the lopes.

Church of the Wheel
    They used the higher modulus carbon in the SL so they could use less of it. That's why the frame weighs less. That and the carbon seat tube insert, head tube cups, and brake caliper mount. Quite some time ago Hans stated in some old thread that both frames are about the same stiffness. People who've ridden both say they feel the same. That's all I'm saying. Don't get me wrong, I'm an SL fanboy. I just think the only really significant differences are the weight and the rubber paint.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The rubberized paint is gone. My matte clear 2010 Mojo SL doesn't have it, so you would have to find a 2009 model if you want that paint.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    colors aside... the extra $300 encompasses a lighter yet higher modulus carbon weave, titanium bolts and what not, the already standard lopes' link, and as mentioned before, about a 0.5 lb in weight savings... anything i missed?

damn, i really like the white and the trans blue...

thanks again for the replies! i just really really really want to justify shelling out the extra three bills...! having said that, this will be the 'ONE' bike in my arsenal.

meh
    carbon drop outs, headset cups, and seat tube insert on the SL (AL on the standard)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    carbon drop outs, headset cups, and seat tube insert on the SL (AL on the standard)
    ah gotcha! but are the carbon components worth it over their aluminum counterparts?

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow209
    ah gotcha! but are the carbon components worth it over their aluminum counterparts?
    For me, no. Especially not to drop only 1/2 pound. I probably carry #10+ of water, tools, and emergency overnight supplies on my back and... uh... something similar on my backside, lol.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ibis website FAQ:

What’s the weight savings/difference between the Mojo Carbon and the Mojo SL?
    The Mojo SL uses higher strength, higher modulus carbon, so we can use less of it, resulting in a weight savings. Additionally, the Mojo SL has carbon fiber headcups, dropouts and seat tube insert vs the aluminum found on the Mojo Carbon. The SL also comes with a complement of Titanium fasteners.
    Here are the weight savings you can expect to find on the SL.
    Weight savings Frame: 130g
    Weight savings if you use the DT Swiss Shock: 65 g
    Weight savings Ti Bolts: 40 g
    Weight savings bolt seat binder (vs QR): 45g.
    Total, 280g = .61 lbs

Finally, note that painted frames are 60 g heavier than clear

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by bosco1
    Ibis website FAQ:

What’s the weight savings/difference between the Mojo Carbon and the Mojo SL?
    The Mojo SL uses higher strength, higher modulus carbon, so we can use less of it, resulting in a weight savings. Additionally, the Mojo SL has carbon fiber headcups, dropouts and seat tube insert vs the aluminum found on the Mojo Carbon. The SL also comes with a complement of Titanium fasteners.
    Here are the weight savings you can expect to find on the SL.
    Weight savings Frame: 130g
    Weight savings if you use the DT Swiss Shock: 65 g
    Weight savings Ti Bolts: 40 g
    Weight savings bolt seat binder (vs QR): 45g.
    Total, 280g = .61 lbs

Finally, note that painted frames are 60 g heavier than clear
    thanks! i've read this though and often frequent the ibis site to absorb it's glory that i've yet to be apart of... haha.

anyways, i wanted to know the non-scientific details and differences from you guys, the day-to-day riders, the ones who own and have ridden them and understand the comparison. i don't care about grams and savings (unless when talking about cannabis). haha

at the moment, i'm leaning towards the SL. i'm already dropping at least 2 grand... and for an extra three bills, i get a stronger yet lighter frame, upgraded components, and a sexy choice of colors! we'll see when it comes down to it.

thanks again for the input!

Too Much Fun

Good job! SL, no question

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow209
    at the moment, i'm leaning towards the SL. i'm already dropping at least 2 grand...
    Of course it's worth it.

I struggled with the same tortured decision and came down on the side of the SL. I got the XT kit with the Talas 150QR. The damn thing is around 25.5lbs and frankly that's just dumb nice.

Hell, my Ti Mojo was only 3lbs lighter! To have a 25.5lb 5.5" bouncy bike is just nuts to me.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Of course it's worth it.

I struggled with the same tortured decision and came down on the side of the SL. I got the XT kit with the Talas 150QR. The damn thing is around 25.5lbs and frankly that's just dumb nice.

Hell, my Ti Mojo was only 3lbs lighter! To have a 25.5lb 5.5" bouncy bike is just nuts to me.
    ok sweet. hell yeah, when i demo'ed the standard mojo, it was off the hook! super light yet it took everything i could throw at it during those short 8 hours...

i'm sure the SL will instill the same feeling!

Mal Ad Osteo
    IMO, no. Unless you are a HUGE weight weenie or race on a daily basis then no.