mtbr member

Mojo Maiden Voyage..

I finally got a day off to take my Mojo out. Too soon to fully describe the bike's character, but I'd have to agree with most of the other descriptions. The bike climbs substantially better than any of my FSRs or Ventana bikes I've owned. Still on the downhills the tires remain glued to the ground while riding over sharp-edges rocks. Handling is very neutral and there no surprises. Oh, and frame noise and chain slap was way less than I had anticipated (partially attributed to the rear derailleur mod explained below).

As for the new XTR stuff, it works as you'd probably expect--totally precise and intuative. The shifters were the biggest surprise. The double-tap upshift feature, as well as the bi-directional release, of the rear shifter isn't a gimmick. It was actually very useful on several technical sections. Brakes were consistant and easy to modulate, although I could still use more power. Perhaps after they bed in after a few more rides...

Weight with the XTR pedals came in at 24.92 pounds.

I ordered the bike with the XTR build kit. Here are the parts I changed:

XTR Rear Derailleur: I modified the spring tension by disassembling the main pivot spring, re-drilling the spring tab hole about 90 degrees from the original and reassembling. This keeps the derailleur from banging against the frame and does not affect derailleur performance.

Wheels: DT 190 Ceramic Hubs with DT Revolution spokes and DT XR 4.2d rims. I hand-built these and saved a bit of weight. Front and rear were 655 and 741 grams (vs. 696 and 845 grams for the XTR).

Tires: WTB MotoRaptor 2.24 K front and rear. Some of my favorite tires and super-light at 620 grams each.

Seat Post: Ritchey WCS carbon 31.8mm

Handlebars: Ritchey WCS Lo Rizer carbon

Saddle: WTB Silverado SLT (195 grams)

Headset: Ritchey WCS carbon

Seat collar: Ibis Silk bolt-on

Here's the pictures from the maiden voyage on Cuesta Ridge (San Luis Obispo, CA):

My Wanted List:

1. '87 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue (small)

It's the axle
    That view! It's my old home.

I used to ride from where your bike is to the other side of the valley on the horizon.

It's like my heart gets excited just looking at your pictures. Thanks.

Now I have to wonder if the pile of old antique cars is still on the stage coach road along the grade.

I remember when it snowed there. And I rode up to the top of the grade and rode down without my hands on the bars past all the cars just waiting for the snow to be cleared. Memories.

And oddly enough I got back from a ride today and was looking at the rear derailleur thinking of doing just what you did. I guess it's time for modifications.

All I can say is every ride just gets better on the Mojo.

Here's a picture of the bridge I finished building this last week. Chainsaw in backpack. And a lot of blisters from getting the one foot diameter redwood logs across the creek. Not the best photo, but...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K
    That view! It's my old home.

Now I have to wonder if the pile of old antique cars is still on the stage coach road along the grade.
    No more old cars with the exception of one on Pick-N-Shovel and one on Shooters.

And oddly enough I got back from a ride today and was looking at the rear derailleur thinking of doing just what you did. I guess it's time for modifications.
    Let me know how it goes--I should have taken pictures, but it isn't too difficult. The hardest part was winding the cage back up and pushing the whole thing together as it will have a lot more tension. Eye protection recommended!

All I can say is every ride just gets better on the Mojo.
    I can imagine. I'm making a few minor tweaks and hope to be out on the trail soon. After this month (currently working 6 days a week on 13 hour shifts) I will certainly be getting in more ride time.
    My Wanted List:

mtbr member
    What size Lizard skins is that in the first pic? I need something to tide me over until they come out with the custom solution.

mtbr member
    It's the "super jumbo" size. That along with the XTR rear derailleur modification I mentioned keeps it very quiet back there.
    My Wanted List:

mtbr member
    Link me to the derailleur mod if you can.

aka Jesse Palmer
    Damn that thing is pretty nice, I don't even want to know how much its worth... There are a couple other Mojo owners in SLO as well. Nate just got his built up about a month ago (raced DS and DH at sea otter on it)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
    Link me to the derailleur mod if you can.
    I just created a new thread with more detail as a few people have asked about it.
    My Wanted List: