Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread

My 650b Mojo HDR... LOVE IT!
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b Blog

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-ibis-mojo-hdr-over-edge-melrose.jpg

Mtb Guide
    Looking good DH, do the full specc, size setup thing bud, jmo but this should be a dedicated 650build thread, HDR std should have its own build thread, gonna be massive I think

How's that Pike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Is that a Pike? Any difference over the Fox?

mtbr member

Re: Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread

I love it. I'm so on the fence. I really wanted a 150-160mm travel DW-Link 650b rig. I'm just a little uneasy about the BB height here and the tweaks that have to be made reducing travel. That bike is bad ass though. Are you running it in the 130 travel mode? Let us know how this bad boy handles.

Specialized Epic 29
    Intense Tracer 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    I love it. I'm so on the fence. I really wanted a 150-160mm travel DW-Link 650b rig. I'm just a little uneasy about the BB height here and the tweaks that have to be made reducing travel. That bike is bad ass though. Are you running it in the 130 travel mode? Let us know how this bad boy handles.

Specialized Epic 29
    Intense Tracer 29
    The travel-reduction tweak takes no time, just a simple shim that clicks onto the air rod in the shock. BB height is another issue, not much can be done there except for playing with offset bushings (however I think that will require further travel reduction)...

I love that new black/yellow paint scheme!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotrider View Post
    The travel-reduction tweak takes no time, just a simple shim that clicks onto the air rod in the shock. BB height is another issue, not much can be done there except for playing with offset bushings (however I think that will require further travel reduction)...

I love that new black/yellow paint scheme!
    An angleset will also help with the BB height as well assuming you want a 66 HA.

mtbr member
    I wonder why they didn't drop the BB a bit more. With 130 travel I think 13.1-13.2 is a good call, especially since they call for 25% sag. Then in 160 mode it would be in the 13.6-13.8 range. It seems like a compromise to me.

In DH's review he seems to like the 130/27.5 setting a lot more. I wonder how much of this is due To the lower BB?

My 140 mm bike sits at 13.2 and I love it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hippie - are you running the 2.35 HD on the front or 2.25?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    and what about the rear tire?
    I'm hoping an DH 2.35 fits back there...wishful thinking?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nice build. Is ibis gonna add additional color option on their HD-R lineup? I am really ready to purchase a frame but still holding cuz I'm not diggin the colors.

Too Much Fun

Good job! Let's see those HDRs!

BUMP! Can't wait to see some of the new builds.

Peeps have to be taking some deliveries soon....
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    im getting mine tomorrow, will build it Wednesday, so pics available maybe on thursday!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Mine is supposed to be here by the end of the week.

mtbr member
    I posted this on another thread, but here she is:

Ibis Mojo HDR 650b Carbon Fiber Frame (Large)
    2014 Fox Float 34 CTD 27.5 140mm Travel with Kashima Coat and 15mm QR thru-axle
    2014 Fox Float CTD ADjust Factory Series with Kashima Coat (7.875 x 2.0)
    ENVE Twenty7.5 (650b) XC Wheels with DT Swiss 240 hubs
    ENVE 90mm Stem
    Shwalbe Nobby Nics Tires (2.25)
    E*13 TRS+ Crank (Bash/34/24T)
    Shimano CS-M771-10 XT Rear Cassette (11-13-15-17-19-21-24-32-36T)
    Shimano XT M785 Brakes (front and rear)
    Shimano XT M780 I-Spec Shifters
    Shimano FD-781D XT Down-Swing, Dual-Pull Front Derailleur
    Shimano M786 SGS Rear Derailleur Shadow Plus
    Shimano RT86 XT Ice-Tech 6 Bolt Rotors (180mm front/160mm rear)
    Shimano PD-M785 XT All Mountain Clipless Pedal
    Cane Creek 40: ZS44 1 1/8" to/EC49/40 Traditional 1.5" bottom Headset
    Ibis Hi-Fi Carbon Bar 740mm, 20mm rise, 9 x 5 degree bend
    Ibis 2D forged 31.8 clamp/28.6 Steerer 50-120 in 10mm increments Stem
    Thomson Elite Dropper Post
    WTB Rocket V Saddle
    3T MTB PRO Grips
    Ibis Polycarbon Bash Guard

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-hdr12_zps8f614112.jpg
    Whether you're peddling or twisting the wrist...you're still riding on two wheels...and that's good enough for me

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Getting my XL in blue tomorrow with XX1 and cane creek DB air. 650b AM carbon rims not available from ENVE until August. Going with I9 jpulll and ZTR FLOW Ex for now.

Too Much Fun

Quote Originally Posted by tapcon View Post
    I posted this on another thread, but here she is:

Ibis Mojo HDR 650b Carbon Fiber Frame (Large)
    Nice! Weight?
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Nice! Weight?
    Without the ENVE stem, she weighed in at 28 lbs 2oz
    Whether you're peddling or twisting the wrist...you're still riding on two wheels...and that's good enough for me

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

My hdr

Here is my new 160mm 26" HDR, AWESOME bike!!
    36 fox float 160mmMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-image.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-image.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-image.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-image.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-image.jpg
    Fox ctd shock
    Xt crankset 2x10 38/24
    Xt front and rear derraileur
    CB mallet 3 pedals
    CB iodine wheels
    KS lev dropper post
    Hans dampf tires
    Xt brakes
    60 stem ibis
    740 handlebar ibis
    Ibis seat
    Odi grips

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I should get some better pics but I went riding as soon as she was ready. 29.2lbs. Only the wheels are new. Everything else came straight off my SL.

IMG_0744 by rboskind, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    @MysticFalcon: I was planning to do the same sell my mojo c and just transfer everything to the new frame. I see you're running a single chainring. I was just wondering if the MRP mini G will still fit in the HDR the bb fit type?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baltik View Post
    Hippie - are you running the 2.35 HD on the front or 2.25?
    Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    and what about the rear tire? I'm hoping an DH 2.35 fits back there...wishful thinking?
    Sorry guys, lost track of stuff lately... life changes and whatnot!

On the front of the Mojo HDR I've been running the Hans Dampf 2.35, love it. Huge tire, confidence inspiring, nice feel. Inflates to a much larger than an average 2.35 I reckon. The only negative is the weight of the tyre.

Thanks to Bikebox (AU distributor of Schwalbe) I also have a Nobby Nic 2.35 Snakeskin to test as a front tyre which is what is on the HDR atm. It's 685 grams, 130 grams lighter vs my Hans... that's a good chunk less of rotating mass! It inflates quite a bit smaller than the Hans Dampf. The Nobby Nic 2.35 reminds me a lot of the Purgatory 2.3, similar profile etc when fitted and similar behaviour on the trail. Very good performance overall esp for XC/Trail, but not as uber confidence inspiring as genuinely big tires like the Hans for Trail/AM.

On the rear I've been running a Racing Ralph 2.25. Plenty of clearance but I am used to running a much tougher/armored rear tyre. Bikebox did their own run of Racing Ralph 27.5x2.25 with Snakeskin, so that's what I'm running now on the rear. So far so good. The tread isn't super deep and is relatively soft so will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

@riderup: with the rear, it'll depend on what 2.35 you run. I did fit a Hans Dampf on the rear just to check if it would fit, and yes it did technically clear the frame but IMO the clearance isn't adequate. FWIW there isn't a lot of clearance with the Dampf on the Pike fork either - it is a big tyre. Something like Nobby Nic 2.35 would be fine. I don't run tyres that large on the rear anyway - 2.25 is about the max for me and there is plenty of clearance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tapcon View Post
    Without the ENVE stem, she weighed in at 28 lbs 2oz
    Not too caught up with exact total weight overall but my HDR is a good chunk lighter than my HD which feels nice out on the trail. Will have to re-weigh mine as it came it ~12.4kg. Medium frame plus 1x drivetrain vs yours probably accounts for that.

Pretty happy with my wheel build so far, the Tune King Kong hubs are slick! Probably the other slick light thing is the Syntace Vector handlebar. At some point will probably go to 1x11, which will drop the weight further with some nicer cranks etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ibismojo09 View Post
    @MysticFalcon: I was planning to do the same sell my mojo c and just transfer everything to the new frame. I see you're running a single chainring. I was just wondering if the MRP mini G will still fit in the HDR the bb fit type?
    I am using the MRP 1X bottom bracket mount and it works great. Im actually thinking of changing to something using the new iscg mount since my HDR will see a lot more rough stuff than my SL ever saw.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here is mine - stock XX1 build with the following mods
    Light bicycle wide 650B wheels w Hope hubs
    Swapped out the Fox 34 for a Pike 150mm (19mm A2C bump)
    Swapped out the lower headset cup for the 2.5mm stack height FSA Orbit E (net gain of 9mm up front)
    Swapped stock saddle for WTB rocket V SLT
    Shimano XT brakes
    27lbs even

Still need to shorten the brake lines and clean up the routing
    Waiting for the custom shock options to sort themselves out then will bump the travel into the 150mm range
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-img_18162.jpg  

Mtb Guide
    Great looking HDRs all.

Tap that Shelby color is so sweet though, nice light in that shot really captures the color.

I wish they're were more color options though just so I won't see too many Shelby blues out they're less is more if you get my meaning!

Sic boys n girls keep it em HDRs flowing

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalcon View Post
    I am using the MRP 1X bottom bracket mount and it works great. Im actually thinking of changing to something using the new iscg mount since my HDR will see a lot more rough stuff than my SL ever saw.
    That's great to hear. Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    First off. I want to thank bikeco for helping me process my cracked ibis mojo sl frameset and shimano for upgrading me to xtr shadow plus. Reason shimano upgraded was because my xt shadow+ broke the day before my mtb race.
    It was a long wait, well worth it.
    Mojo HDR 160 (L)
    Pike solo air 150
    Bikeco marzocchi rear shock currently set up with 147mm travel
    Wheels:front xtr m988 with/dt comp spokes alloy nipples arch ex 650b stan's sticker removed schwalbe Hans dampf snake skin
    Rear wheel:dt 240s dt comp spokes w/ alloy nipples stan's arch ex 650b rim schwalbe nobby nic snakeskin
    Sram x0 crank with race face narrow/wide 32t
    SLX 10spd cassette
    KMC X10SL CHAIN
    Formula rx brakeset
    Stem:syntace 70mm
    Bar: ibis DH bar
    Grip: Esi with safety wire
    WTB off Mojo SL
    Shimano xt spd pedals with Ti spindle.
    Weighs 27. 05 lbs on park's scale. W/O dropper.

Shock I-I 8.25" measurement was taken from center to center of shock bolt.

Had some more seat time. Bike rides so much better then the SL I used to owned. Hdr with 650b set up I'm riding the bike faster and coming into turns a lot faster speed. Bike is just confident inspiring. Now I need to trim steered tube down and save up for shorter stem wider bars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-20130721_073231.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-20130721_073320.jpg  

Last edited by tw0leftskis; 08-08-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: measured bbh incorrectly.

mtbr member
    cool, how's the Bikeco marzocchi rear shock 147mm for ya?

which reminds me gotta pull the stickers off those ZTR rims too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Stans sticker weigh approximately 7gm/rim. I really didn't have a real shake down ride. The rear shock is real nice. The suspension is plush/soft. There's an on/switch pro pedal type deal.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalhippie13 View Post
    cool, how's the Bikeco marzocchi rear shock 147mm for ya?

which reminds me gotta pull the stickers off those ZTR rims too.

Too Much Fun

Quote Originally Posted by tw0leftskis View Post
    I'll say, brilliant HDR.

Add me to the list of heads waiting for more feedback on the Bikeco 147 setup.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Measured bbh around 13".
    whoa, that is lower than I would have expected.

Nice bike. I have a very similar one on order.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

First off. I want to thank bikeco for helping me process my cracked ibis mojo sl frameset and shimano for upgrading me to xtr shadow plus. Reason shimano upgraded was because my xt shadow+ broke the day before my mtb race.
    Mojo HDR 160 (L)
    Pike solo air 150
    Bikeco marzocchi rear shock currently set up with 147mm travel
    Wheels:front xtr m988 with/dt comp spokes alloy nipples arch ex 650b stan's sticker removed schwalbe Hans damp snake skin
    Rear wheel:dt 240s dt comp spokes w/ alloy nipples stan's arch ex 650b rim schwalbe nobby nic snakeskin
    Sram x0 crank with race face narrow/wide 32t
    Formula rx brakeset
    Stem:syntace 70mma
    Bar: ibis DH bar
    Weigh w/o rear brakes(had to lengthen brake hose) 26.1lbs
    Measured bbh around 13".
    Really nice build. Is that the Bike Co short shock option?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes. Its bikeco shock option. I did not get a chance really test out the shock. Landing 6-8" step/drops. The rear end is plush. I'm still playing around with pike. Currently rear shock air pressure is 100psi, that's how it was from them. Fork I just went off the setting on the sram chart @ 70 psi.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes. Its bikeco shock option. I did not get a chance really test out the shock. Landing 6-8" step/drops. The rear end is plush. I'm still playing around with pike. Currently rear shock air pressure is 100psi, that's how it was from them. Fork I just went off the setting on the sram chart @ 70 psi.
    I could measure rear shock I-I.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks. Cool. Looks like the "long" 8.5x2.5 option - yes? What's the HA and are there offset bushings on the shock? How's the rear tire clearance?

I could measure rear shock I-I.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Thanks. Cool. Looks like the "long" 8.5x2.5 option - yes? What's the HA and are there offset bushings on the shock? How's the rear tire clearance?
    I didn't see any offset bushing. Bike is currently at shop for suspension tuning. I'll post up more measurements when I pick up the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks. I really appreciate it. You'd have to pull one end of the shock off. Instead of being centered, the hole is offset. Here's a pic of one.

I didn't see any offset bushing. Bike is currently at shop for suspension tuning. I'll post up more measurements when I pick up the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Shock does not have offset bushing. Rode whiting ranch this evening. Suspension was really plush. Bike just felt like a dirt bike absorbing everything on the trail. It is a night and day different compared to my mojo sl (fox kashima rp23 with rockshox revelation @ 150mm)

mtbr member
    Bike looks great.

Do you happen to know how much clearance you have at full compression between the tire and seat post?

And any idea how much travel the shocks got?

Sounds like BikeCo have come up with a winner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalhippie13 View Post
    My 650b Mojo HDR... LOVE IT!
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b Blog

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibis-mojo-hdr-over-the-edge-melrose.jpg 
Views:	6403 
Size:	287.7 KB 
ID:	808032
    Hey Hippie. What travel is your Pike set to?.... appears that all Pike setups willl result in longer A-C, higher bb, and slacker angles than the stock Ibis Fox 140 option.

Leftskis, I'm curious about your bb height when you get a chance to remeasure it.

STOKE STOKE STOKE!!!!!!! I've finished spending too much money on a 29er HT for my son....now to start saving my HDR pennies. This is the bike I've been waiting for since the introduction of the HD!

mtboise
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b:
    XT brakes (used to ship swag brakes, now they ship XTR... dammit), Specialized saddle, ESI grips and Schwalbe tires. Otherwise stock XX1 build.

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-photo-1-.jpg

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Hey Hippie. What travel is your Pike set to?.... appears that all Pike setups willl result in longer A-C, higher bb, and slacker angles than the stock Ibis Fox 140 option.
    I believe the pike 27.5 is only offered in 150mm & 160mm travel. The fork itself is actually a few mm shorter A2C than the equivalent float 34. They say the pike rides high in its travel so the bike may be slacker when actually riding.
    "Less yappin' more braapin" - IFHT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk View Post
    I believe the pike 27.5 is only offered in 150mm & 160mm travel. The fork itself is actually a few mm shorter A2C than the equivalent float 34. They say the pike rides high in its travel so the bike may be slacker when actually riding.

Yeah, that's exactly why I'm asking him what his is set to.... having read his reviews, I'm wondering how far off he is from Ibis' stated geometry with a Fox 34 @ 140mm w/ a 535mm axle to crown... if 150, then about a 8mm difference.....not much. If 160 then it's 18mm longer, and he's 3/4 of a degree slacker than stock.... just want to consider his ride impressions in light of the actual numbers. With 42mm offset I'm pretty sure I'd be leaning toward the 150mm setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I remeasured bbh ground to the center bolt hole of crank is a little pass 13 3/4".
    If someone know an easy way to measure HA. Let me know. I tried the angle finder on my cell fone. Was not an accurate measurement.

mtbr member
    I just use my iPad. It's a little fiddly but you can get there.

It helps if you can get someone to hold the bike and bars straight so you are only having to focus on one thing.

Also, not holding your 'angle finder' vertical (parallel to your wheel) seems to upset things as well.

Good luck,

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Rode her hard on her first ride. It was muddy, no clearance issues with the 27.5 2.25 HDampf in the rear. It felt much stiffer than my 27.5 HD. Super fun bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk-hd1375151303.654302.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    extreme, what does your bike weigh in at? Great lookin bike btw:

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    anyone in the UK had their HDR yet? still waiting on mine

Lightly salted
    Picked up my hdr frame today along with a Ripley. Excited to get these built!

mtbr member
    After a 40+ mile ride on Monday I rode by the bike shop to find my new frame had arrived, figured it would be a 3 beer build

Mostly a parts swap from another bike, don't have a pic of the completed bike but it came in right at 29 pounds.

XL Frame - 160
    Talas 34 160
    Thomsen 80mm and Thomsen bar
    King headset
    26" mavic 819 rims with King hubs
    XT Front / XT Shadow
    X0 9 speed shifters, cassette, 3x crank
    XO Brakes
    XTR pedals
    Oury ODI grips
    KS-Lev
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 08-02-2013 at 09:10 AM.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Picked up my hdr frame today along with a Ripley. Excited to get these built!

Life is good, eh?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Nice build...how tall r u? I'm 6'1" and can't figure out whether to go with large or XL...help

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Life is good, eh?
    what an arsenal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cgnreno View Post
    Nice build...how tall r u? I'm 6'1" and can't figure out whether to go with large or XL...help
    If this is directed at me, I'm 6' 2", Still working on dialing it in, pretty sure I got the right size. Demo if you can everyone is different, I tried an SLR XL and the bike fit me like a glove. Demoed an XL HD after I ordered the HDR I think the stem length was off for me a bit but still felt it was the right size. I have a 80mm stem on the HDR, I think I need to move down a little to get it more dialed in.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Has anyone weighed an HDR with stock XT build--or better yet a XT build with 150 pike?

mtbr member

Hdr

650B, oops, I mean 27.5"!
    Medium
    XT group, XTR shifters, XTR cassette, Stans Flow Ex...
    Pike 150mm 650b
    K-LEV
    28ish lbs, depending on tires that day...
    Rides awesome, needed a shim inside rear shock, still to big of an air can.
    Both shims in the Pike, keep it more progressive, best fork out of the box to date though! Bummer on the rear tire clearance, Ibis should have done a better job at that. Need a 145mm travel 650 HD with tire clearance, pls.
    Thanks to Mike @ Elevation Cycles in Littleton, CO & Maverick suspension Inc. in Denver!
    Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-hdr.jpg

Too Much Fun
    Nice rig! When you say "both shims" in the Pike, are those just volume reducers?
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Yeah, volume reducers! Fox says "shims", RS uses tuning thingies....!
    Fork is really linear, nice they include those, I'm only 140lb and run 60psi with the 2 spacers! But feels great, no Fox "spike or dive".

mtbr member
    Looks nice!
    Did you demo an HDR with the Fox 140? Wondering if you notice any geometry change going to the Pike 150.

Lightly salted
    My pike fork is backordered so to pass the time I removed the color from the down tube on my frame. Looks like the down tube was never painted. I like the more subtle look. 1000 then 1600 wet sand, being very carful to only remove color. Ill seal it with a high grade carbon safe wax before building it up.

mtbr member
    Looks good

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ditto on the looks good. So much better than the "retired 80 year old gets a hold of safety yellow tape and proceeds to cover every last square inch on the back of his pick up" look.
    Last edited by rodeoj; 08-12-2013 at 09:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodeoj View Post
    so much better than the "retired 80 year old get a hold of safety yellow tape and proceeds to cover every last square inch on the back of his pick up" look.
    aaaaaoooooooowwwww.....zing!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I do have one question for you, is the reverse P just matte black or is it semi translucent with some visual carbon weave like the original black HD?

meh
    looks great fuenstock, does the area where the paint was removed look any different than the surrounding non painted areas, or is it pretty seamless?

its a nude carbon rodeoj, not black paint

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    looks great fuenstock, does the area where the paint was removed look any different than the surrounding non painted areas, or is it pretty seamless?

its a nude carbon rodeoj, not black paint
    Its seemless. It pretty much looks as if it was never painted in the first place. I did 1000 grit wet sand to remove the green, which exposed white primer. I then rubbed isopropyl alcohol on the primer with cotton balls to remove the white primer. This is what took longest as I didn't want to damage finish. I just kept rubbing with cotton and isopropyl alcohol until all the primer was gone. I used 1600 grit wet sand very lightly to remove any stubborn primer, which there was almost none of. Im going to seal it with Jetseal 109 before I build it up. Its a carbon safe wipe on sealer that is very durable and highly recommended. I used it for years when I had offshore fishing boats and it held up to sun and saltwater very well. Im happy with the results! I had to get rid of the downtube color, to distracting and over done for me. I like a more subtle look.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Its seemless. It pretty much looks as if it was never painted in the first place. I did 1000 grit wet sand to remove the green, which exposed white primer. I then rubbed isopropyl alcohol on the primer with cotton balls to remove the white primer. This is what took longest as I didn't want to damage finish. I just kept rubbing with cotton and isopropyl alcohol until all the primer was gone. I used 1600 grit wet sand very lightly to remove any stubborn primer, which there was almost none of. Im going to seal it with Jetseal 109 before I build it up. Its a carbon safe wipe on sealer that is very durable and highly recommended. I used it for years when I had offshore fishing boats and it held up to sun and saltwater very well. Im happy with the results! I had to get rid of the downtube color, to distracting and over done for me. I like a more subtle look.

I'd love the look of a pure black Ripley. What are your plans there?

mtbr member
    No sanding needed, get some 91% or stronger isopropyl alcohol and a reg or blue shop towel and have at it! Its all carbon/epoxy no clear under coat, just unidirectional weave.
    You can clean up the micro rubbing marks with rubbing compound, viola, no more decals!

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan F View Post
    No sanding needed, get some 91% or stronger isopropyl alcohol
    Does the alcohol eat at the carbon or just the paint/decals?
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

The resin/epoxy is fine with isopropyl and even acetone. Stay away from MEK tho, I've personally witnessed the resin destruction while cleaning a couple CF aircraft wing spars. Kinda freaky when you go to remove a few paint pen marks and then realize that you are wiping the fibers around! Somebody in the lab put acetone in an iso alcohol bottle = scrap.

My HD-R is shipping out tomorrow so I will be erasing some stripes soon. w00t!

mtbr member
    They look good. Think I'll wait for future color changes, angle changes and maybe internal cable routing and a stealth port?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

What about the painter Cobra Blue HDR's?

I'm assuming the isopropyl will only work for the Vit P since it's paint on carbon? I've got a Cobra Blue I'm picking up today (woo hoo!) and while I was fine with the stock paint scheme, I'm liking this a look a LOT more. Think it might be tough to do without messing up the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by conekilr View Post
    The resin/epoxy is fine with isopropyl and even acetone. Stay away from MEK tho, I've personally witnessed the resin destruction while cleaning a couple CF aircraft wing spars. Kinda freaky when you go to remove a few paint pen marks and then realize that you are wiping the fibers around! Somebody in the lab put acetone in an iso alcohol bottle = scrap.

My HD-R is shipping out tomorrow so I will be erasing some stripes soon. w00t!

mtbr member
    Carbon is pretty impervious to most acids. Since the Epoxy is a catalyst type of glue, those are quite save against almost everything! So yes, the Alcohol only eats the paint only!
    I think these are water transfer decals that are supposed to be clear coated, or might be a "pad" print on the frame? In any event, makes for easy removal!

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I'd love the look of a pure black Ripley. What are your plans there?
    I happen to like my black/green Ripley so will be keeping the stock paint. I do get the feeling the Ripley may be harder to raw. The paint seems more durable on the ripley than hdr. The hdr frame even came with warning stickers saying only to clean with mild soap and water or risk ruining paint where the ripley frame had no warning stickers.

Lightly salted
    No sanding needed, get some 91% or stronger isopropyl alcohol and a reg or blue shop towel and have at it! Its all carbon/epoxy no clear under coat, just unidirectional weave.
    You can clean up the micro rubbing marks with rubbing compound, viola, no more decals!
    I did have to sand away the green to expose the white primer for the iso alcohol to work for me, it didn't do much to the green. Once the green was mostly gone the alcohol just dissolved the primer fairly easy. It could be that I was using old iso alc and maybe it had lost some of its power through evaporation. Its a pretty simple job for anyone interest in doing it. Maybe an hours worth of work start to finish.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by phat_tony View Post
    I'm assuming the isopropyl will only work for the Vit P since it's paint on carbon? I've got a Cobra Blue I'm picking up today (woo hoo!) and while I was fine with the stock paint scheme, I'm liking this a look a LOT more. Think it might be tough to do without messing up the blue.
    I think you might be better off taping off the downtube white scuffing the finish and repainting a more subtle color than trying to remove it. Im going to guess it would be hard to remove the white with out damaging the blue.

Mtb Guide
    Fork options become more and more legit, Suntour is a real contender imo, not ridden one but only hear good things!

XFusion def a fan of.

Pike vs XF Sweep!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://mpora.com/videos/AAdjpw5sleko/embed" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
    BIKE MAGIC TESTED: 2014 All Mountain Forks - Rockshox Pike, X-Fusion Sweep a Mountain Biking video by Carsick John
    Last edited by Maverick005; 08-09-2013 at 02:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I posted this on the new Ibis thread earlier. I did not see this tread until last night.

Large frame with CCDB shock 160mm
    Pike 160mm fork
    I9 Trail wheels 26 inch
    XX1 with Gripshift
    XTR brakesj
    King Headset
    Lev seatpost
    San Marco seat
    Havoc Bars
    Haven Stem
    Hans Damph 2.35 front
    Nic 2.25 rear
    26.8 pounds

mtbr member
    Nice build! I'm suddenly leaning toward cobra blue. <27 is impressive for a 160mm travel bike--especially with the CCDB.

mtbr member
    That bike Magic test has me all excited for saving $400 and buying the x-fusion fork. I'm loving that it's internally adjustable too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The fork and wheels play a big part in the weight savings. The cane creek added about 1/2 pound but its worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

My dream-bike has occupied countless gigabytes of my mental hard drive for well over a year now. This machine that only existed in my mind or in pictures is now a reality! Just in time for my birthday and just in time to get acquainted for the Big Mountain Enduro race in Moab, w00t!

Still need to cut the steerer and ditch a spacer or two. Will post more pics from the trail once I get it out in some better light.

Here are the deets if you're into that...

Mojo HD-R 275 (BikeCo 147mm config)
    Medium, Reverse Vit P
    28lbs. 10oz.

Headset: Chris King InSet
    Bar: Ibis Hi-Fi
    Grips: ESI Chunky
    Stem: Thomson X4 70mm
    Seat Post: Rock Shox Reverb Stealth
    Seat: Thrones, Soleus

Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf, SnakeSkin TrailStar (2.35 front, 2.25 rear)
    Rims: Novatec Diablo 275
    Spokes: DT Swiss SuperComp, Competition for rear drive-side
    Nipples: DT Swiss, Brass
    Hubs: Chris King ISO

Fork: Rock Shox Pike 150mm
    Shock: BikeCo Custom TSTr

Brakes: Formula "The One"
    Rotors: 180mm front, 160mm rear

Shifter: Sram XO GripShift
    Derailleur: SRAM X9 T2
    Cranks: E-Thirteen TRSr
    BB: E-Thirteen XC TiNi
    Chain: KMC X10SL-Ti
    Chain Guide: MRP 1x
    Pedals: Point One Racing, Podium

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Looks great - very similar to my build, would love to hear more feedback on how the 147mm rides - also can you post up a closeup of how the drilled your frame for the reverb stealth?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Looking for feedback on the Bikeco shock!!!! V/interested in this

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by recleaver View Post
    Looking for feedback on the Bikeco shock!!!! V/interested in this
    Same. There's a thread in here with a little bit of commentary that seems very praising.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by baltik View Post
    Looks great - very similar to my build, would love to hear more feedback on how the 147mm rides - also can you post up a closeup of how the drilled your frame for the reverb stealth?
    Yeah I will post up some close-ups of the hose routing. Yody detailed this about a year ago but the pics are gone now. I used the same method on my previous bike (drill out rivnut) except now I have a downtube shield to help route the hose nice and close to the frame.

Also will try and write a useful review of the whole long(er) travel set-up and BikeCo shock as I get it all closer to dialed in. Just had the first proper ride last night w/ out any hiccups.

mtbr member
    Looks very nice!! Can you measure the "TRUE" head tube angle for us?
    Since the shock is a standard 8.5x2.5 Roco with the 26" mounts, then the travel is limited etc... With the 150mm Pike and a higher BB, is it steeper than the 67d?

Rides a Bike

Frame protection for Mojo HDR

I received a reverse Vitamin P matte finish HDR frame from an interstate bike shop on Monday and spent a couple days designing a frame protection kit for it. It is one of my most detailed kits, offering comprehensive protection. The ultra matte film looks great on this frame and so does a new material I use low on the downtube (i'll call it megatex for now). I'm quite happy with the result.
    Occupational hazard: Now i've seen one up close, I wants it!
    Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_4.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_13.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_16.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_28.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_34.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_7.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_37.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_12.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_15.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_27.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_18.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_6.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_36.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_26.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_20.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_35.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_9.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_10.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_25.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_19.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_31.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_2.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_30.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_33.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_3.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_11.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_14.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_17.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_29.jpg  

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-2013_mojo_hdr_32.jpg  

Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    How much is the frameskin kit for the hdr? And I'm also concern of the inner rear triangle, there should be a protection too. So it will protect the inner frame from mud when the tire is spinning.

Rides a Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ibismojo09 View Post
    How much is the frameskin kit for the hdr?
    This will be on my website soon. The back of the seat tube has protection and while i've tried decal protection lower down in the triangle it is problematic to make work well. A rubber mini skirt is a better solution, which you can make yourself pretty easily. I have a description on the site about this too.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Nice looking frame skin!

Just got back from my 2nd ride, this time on a proper rocky & rooty trail. Snapped a couple lazy pics with the phone before pedaling away...

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-image.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-image.jpg

Lightly salted
    Nice looking frame skin!

Just got back from my 2nd ride, this time on a proper rocky & rooty trail. Snapped a couple lazy pics with the phone before pedaling away...

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	673 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	826170Click image for larger version. 

Views:	454 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	826169
    Nice job on the down tube color removal, Looks clean!

mtbr member
    +1 on feedback please.
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

mtbr member
    How much does a frameskin set weigh?

mtbr member
    Nice looking frame skin!

Views:	673 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	826170Click image for larger version. 

Views:	454 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	826169
    Bike looks great! Chinese carbon rims?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Bike looks great! Chinese carbon rims?
    Thanks! They are actually de-badged Novatec Diablos.

As for the Stealth routing, here are a few close-ups. Sorry about the crappy lighting. Although it's a simple mod that I expected to do myself, full credit goes to the crew at the BikeCo for saving me the trouble, thus getting me out on the trails that much sooner. They did a nice clean job with zip ties added for routing along the outside and a patch of electrical splicing tape (aka mastic tape) around the hose to keep crud out and keep the guard snug against the downtube. Also, there is a thin layer of foam on the guard (which I'm assuming is stock from Ibis?) to keep it snug and rattle-free.

Mojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-image.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-image.jpgMojo HDR Picture and Build Thread-image.jpg

mtbr member

Looks very nice!! Can you measure the "TRUE" head tube angle for us?
    Since the shock is a standard 8.5x2.5 Roco with the 26" mounts, then the travel is limited etc... With the 150mm Pike and a higher BB, is it steeper than the 67d?
    According to Bikeco the shock they're using is neither standard length nor stroke. I'm not aware of the exact sizes available from Marz, but apparently it's shorter both in length and stroke than the Ibis-stock 8.5x2.5. Another owner posted that it was 8.25 somewhere on here. This would explain the lower bb and shorter travel vs what you'd get w std shock and 160 chips w/27.5" wheels.
    I realize that this doesn't answer your head angle question, but just wanted to point out that your assumption of std length/stroke shock is not correct according to the email Bikeco sent me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    is the bikco mod something i can do to my mojo hd?
    anyone have the details of this modification?

mtbr member
    This has probably been asked somewhere already but I could not find it.

Does the BikeCo 147mm mod affect the Ibis frame warranty?

How about the BikeCo frame mod for Reverb Stealth routing a la conekilr's sweet ride?
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

mtbr member
    Murrdogg, BikeCo can only mod the Marzocchi shock as its the only one that can have both its length and travel adjusted to non standard sizes. Pretty much everything else can only have its travel adjusted and its length set to the common shock lengths, eg 7.875", 8.0", 8.5" etc.

If you're happy to swap in a new shock though, then yes they can.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast