mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Mojo HDR - frame bent or true manufacture?

Evening guys and gals -

I just received the HDR frame I purchased from PB (used). I noticed on the frame, down near where the seat tube and lower pivot meet, there's a fairly large "dent" on the drive side, and a very minimal indent on the non-drive side. Having not owned an Ibis before, can anyone confirm on their HDR whether this is normal? I assumed that carbon would crack and not bend, but.....

Mojo HDR - frame bent or true manufacture?-2014-08-28-20.41.46.jpgMojo HDR - frame bent or true manufacture?-2014-08-28-20.42.17.jpgMojo HDR - frame bent or true manufacture?-2014-08-28-20.42.48.jpgMojo HDR - frame bent or true manufacture?-2014-08-28-20.43.18.jpgMojo HDR - frame bent or true manufacture?-2014-08-28-20.43.47.jpgMojo HDR - frame bent or true manufacture?-2014-08-28-20.44.12.jpgMojo HDR - frame bent or true manufacture?-2014-08-28-20.45.14.jpgMojo HDR - frame bent or true manufacture?-2014-08-28-20.45.41.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hard to see on the pic but the second pic looks like a dent to me. Try to email Ibis I'm sure they will attend to you regarding this matter.

Super Lurker
    Feb 2010
    Just checked mine and it is the same. Don't sweat it too much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ibismojo09 View Post
    Hard to see on the pic but the second pic looks like a dent to me. Try to email Ibis I'm sure they will attend to you regarding this matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by itsajoke View Post
    Just checked mine and it is the same. Don't sweat it too much.
    Thanks for feeding in here guys. Appreciate it. I did send an email to Scot at Ibis last night, hoping I could get his input.

The linkage doesn't traveel up into that recess/notch, I'm curious what it's for. The seat tube is carbon, so I can't imagine it's a joint area. Very peculiar design, and definitely has me concerned.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Looks like it's there to allow more clearance for the front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    Thanks for feeding in here guys. Appreciate it. I did send an email to Scot at Ibis last night, hoping I could get his input.

The linkage doesn't traveel up into that recess/notch, I'm curious what it's for. The seat tube is carbon, so I can't imagine it's a joint area. Very peculiar design, and definitely has me concerned.
    I can't see much in the photos, but there is a small clearance cut for front derailleur clearance on a particular FD that's out there, so maybe that's what you are seeing. There is no way the frame is "bent" or "warped". There's just no way for that to physically happen. All the paint would be burnt off ; ) All is well.

H

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You guys are all absolutely correct. Spoke to Todd at Ibis and the frame is molded like that for additional clearance of a SRAM FD. I don't think I've ever seen that type of mold design on a frame before (from any mftr), so it had me quite concerned.

Good folks at Ibis, and even better folks on MTBR. Thanks everyone, I'll be joining to Ibis build community soon.

Chris

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hans is actually an Ibis employee