mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Mojo HDR + CK BB + chainguide adaptor....help

Hey everyone -

Thanks for your time. I'm currently racking my brain a bit here, quite confused.

I have a '13 HDR, a CK BB that I snagged off pinkbike with the adaptor stepped conv. kit (going to run XX1). I'm wanting to install the BB so that I can also run the chainguide adaptor plate, but it doesn't look possible.

I watched the Ibis install video, but it shows that all I need to do is put the adaptor plate on the BB, and REMOVE one of the 2.5mm black metal spacers from the drive side, and then re-install the BB with only one spacer. Except the problem is that, according to CK's directions, their GXP BB's don't use any of these 2.5mm spacers. At all. So there's nothing I can "remove" from the BB setup in order to run the adaptor plate.

Yes, I know the whole thing about "you don't need to run a guide with XX1." I probably won't run a guide, but I want the adaptor plate installed just so I don't happen to lose it.

What am I missing here? Thanks in advance.

Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    Hey everyone -

Thanks for your time. I'm currently racking my brain a bit here, quite confused.

I have a '13 HDR, a CK BB that I snagged off pinkbike with the adaptor stepped conv. kit (going to run XX1). I'm wanting to install the BB so that I can also run the chainguide adaptor plate, but it doesn't look possible.

I watched the Ibis install video, but it shows that all I need to do is put the adaptor plate on the BB, and REMOVE one of the 2.5mm black metal spacers from the drive side, and then re-install the BB with only one spacer. Except the problem is that, according to CK's directions, their GXP BB's don't use any of these 2.5mm spacers. At all. So there's nothing I can "remove" from the BB setup in order to run the adaptor plate.

Yes, I know the whole thing about "you don't need to run a guide with XX1." I probably won't run a guide, but I want the adaptor plate installed just so I don't happen to lose it.

What am I missing here? Thanks in advance.

Chris
    There should be an old thread about xx1 and the HD that details what I did. Essentially you don't use all the spacers on the crank spindle and instead use outboard spacers. (i.e., if you remove 2.4mm worth of spindle spacers, you can run 2.5mm of outboard spacers).

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by das recht View Post
    There should be an old thread about xx1 and the HD that details what I did. Essentially you don't use all the spacers on the crank spindle and instead use outboard spacers. (i.e., if you remove 2.4mm worth of spindle spacers, you can run 2.5mm of outboard spacers).
    I'll search through your started threads. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Found the thread you were posting in. Good info, but you were working on an HD; I'm trying to set up an HDR.

The difference is that I have a chainguide adaptor plate that we can take on/off at will, which according to IBIS, takes the place of a 2.5mm BB spacer. So, based on the info you posted for your HD build, it sounds like each side of the CK BB would get one 2.5mm spacer. Therefore, if I want to install my chainguide adaptor plate, I would not run a single spacer on the DS of the BB, but still have one on the NDS. That sounds really odd, but seems like what I need to do.

Does that sound right? Ultimately though, is the goal to get the spacing between the crank arm and chainstay the exact same for both sides of the bike? I feel like that's the ultimate goal here.....
    Last edited by chrisingrassia; 09-22-2014 at 11:13 PM.