Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bodhisattva

Mojo HDR 650 sizing - did I go too small?

I have two rides on a new medium HDRb and think the frame may be too small. I'm 5 foot, 9.5 "with a 32" inseam. Stem is 90 deg and rails on saddle are all the way back. Pedaling position (KOP) is OK, but on descents I feel like I'm constantly pushing my rear back behind the saddle far more than to which I am accustomed. On climbs the front end wanders a bit and it takes a lot of concentration to keep the nose planted. I tried a 100mm stem which helped the front end, but I still wasn't very confident descending. A lay-back seatpost is not an option.

I'm comparing the Mojo sizing on paper to the Bronson, Solo & new Mach 6. Each of those bikes, for a given size, have a significantly longer reach. In fact, the reach of the L Mojo is roughly the same as the reach of those others in M.

I can't swap the frame since I purchased from Competitive. I'm curious what others my size have done and if Ibis is known to "run small" in general. I have plenty of seattube and standover should I elect to go one size bigger.

Other than that, this is a great frame with one caveat: rear tire clearance is minimal. A 2.3 Ardent leaves minimal clearance and after only 2 rides the paint in the chainstay yoke has completely eroded away from rocks tossed up by the tire. For kicks, I put a 2.35 Hans Dampf in there and, while it clears dry, there is zero room for error.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    All I can say is, I'm getting a medium and I be all of 5'7". Currently I'm riding sml frames from various makers, I see your dilemma, raise you a large with a 60mm stem. ?
    Last edited by ISharted; 07-29-2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Sell it whilst its new

mtbr member
    May 2011
    5'9" seems to be the in between height for these frames. I ride a medium and always felt that I should be on a large.

Started with a 90mm stem. After a couple of years I have shortened my stem to 70mm and have the seat centered and feel good on it. Occasionally I try a longer stem but always go back to the 70mm. I really like the fit of this bike now and probably wouldn't go to a large.

Remember, that it's not a XC bike but a Trail bike. It handles XC very well so it's easy to want to stretch out on it. Also, if you go shorter in the stem try riding it with the same stack height or a little higher. Most people feel that you need to lower it. Longer and lower is better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm 5'9" & my brother is 5'10" & we've both been on larges for the last year & love them. But I've seen threads like this before & it seems more like a personal preference than anything else. As more people post, you'll probably see 1/2 the guys say med and the other 1/2 large.

What width bar are you running? If short, trying running a 750mm wide bar.

Team Chilidog!

Mojo HDR 650 sizing - did I go too small?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    5'9" seems to be the in between height for these frames. I ride a medium and always felt that I should be on a large.

Started with a 90mm stem. After a couple of years I have shortened my stem to 70mm and have the seat centered and feel good on it. Occasionally I try a longer stem but always go back to the 70mm. I really like the fit of this bike now and probably wouldn't go to a large.

Remember, that it's not a XC bike but a Trail bike. It handles XC very well so it's easy to want to stretch out on it. Also, if you go shorter in the stem try riding it with the same stack height or a little higher. Most people feel that you need to lower it. Longer and lower is better.
    The other thing you could try is a wider bar if you go to a shorter stem. Otherwise it might be too twitchy.

I like my fit with a 50mm stem and 29" bar. The bike feels almost like a DJ compared to most other AM bikes, which is what I like about it.

The reach on the Ibis is about 1.5" shorter than the small of the last bike I rode. Took a few rides but I really like it much better.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Bodhisattva
    Thanks for the feedback. Good to see I'm not alone. Given that 5'9" is the average male American height, it's odd that that it's a common "tweener" size for Ibis.

i'm still thinking the medium is too small and that Large with a 70mm stem may be the ticket.

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Good to see I'm not alone. Given that 5'9" is the average male American height, it's odd that that it's a common "tweener" size for Ibis.

i'm still thinking the medium is too small and that Large with a 70mm stem may be the ticket.
    That's the size I am running. I am about 5'11"/6'

I also noticed the needing to get back behind the saddle more on descents too.
    That's just how the HD works, you'll get used to it.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    That's the size I am running. I am about 5'11"/6'

I also noticed the needing to get back behind the saddle more on descents too.
    That's just how the HD works, you'll get used to it.
    Please clarify - you are running a M or L at 5' 11.5" ?

Also, are others chainstay yokes holding up on the 650? After only 2 rides with an Ardent (not the hugest volume tire) the paint in the chainstay yoke has completely eroded away. Tire clearance is far from optimal, IMO. Otherwise, killer bike.

― Albert Einstein

Bodhisattva
    My bar is 740mm. Stem 90 x0. bars about even with saddle, maybe a smidge below

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sorry about the confusion, I am running a size large with a 70 mm stem, at 5'11" /6'

This size lets me run a 5" dropper, which really helped me with the needing to get behind the saddle part of the HD.
    Now that I am about 15 rides in to the bike it's starting to feel really good, but getting used to this bike does take time.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    but getting used to this bike does take time.
    I'm hoping this is the heart of it. I've been on 29ers for 5 years exclusively, which tend to have extended cockpits.

I spoke to Ibis-the guys at the shop my size tend to go medium as well.

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm 6' 1/2" and am about to pull the trigger on this bike. Scot at Ibis says I should go with large but it looks a bit too small (I've been riding large SC blurs and now a Tallboy and I've always felt these bikes were a smidgen too small.)

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cgnreno View Post
    I'm 6' 1/2" and am about to pull the trigger on this bike. Scot at Ibis says I should go with large but it looks a bit too small (I've been riding large SC blurs and now a Tallboy and I've always felt these bikes were a smidgen too small.)

Any thoughts?
    You are also on the borderline in sizing. A lot of people at your height will get an XL with a 50mm stem or the large with a 70mm stem.

If you can see when/if they have any demo days coming near you.

This bike does have a little bit shorter top tube and wheel base.

mtbr member
    When I demoed the HDR, the dealer tried to put me on a medium. It felt tiny and I insisted on a large. With a 60mm stem, the large felt good both climbing and descending. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and I agree that 5'9" puts you in between size medium and large for a lot of bikes out there.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
    When I demoed the HDR, the dealer tried to put me on a medium. It felt tiny and I insisted on a large. With a 60mm stem, the large felt good both climbing and descending. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and I agree that 5'9" puts you in between size medium and large for a lot of bikes out there.
    Thanks.
    I've owned a lot of bikes and my TT is always 23-23.5 with around 17" ST. It's never been an issue. The Mojo is the smallest fitting medium I've ever ridden. Looking at the geo more closely, the Mojo large's Reach is about the same as other comparable bikes medium (solo, bronson, mach 6 650). This tends to validate my opinion.

― Albert Einstein

Levi Early
    I tossed a leg over both the medium and large this last weekend to get an idea of what I will be ordering. The large felt great with the reach but I was dragging nuts on the standover clearance. The medium ended up having the best standover for me but we moved the saddle all the way back and swapped the stem out for whatever is 10mm longer than what they spec it at normally. It fit spot on for me then. I am 5'9" w a 31" inseam for what it is worth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm 6' 1/2" on a Large with 70mm stem, 785mm bars, and a dropper post. Get wider bars and a dropper post.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' and ride a large. After a couple of rides, I was really nervous that I had gotten too small of a frame. The top tube was a good inch shorter than my previous bike (Trek Fuel EX 7 with a 17.5" frame). After pushing the saddle back, lengthening the stem and widening the bars, I felt as though the bike fit much better.
    Whether you're peddling or twisting the wrist...you're still riding on two wheels...and that's good enough for me

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    As I stated before, you are going to get about a 50:50 answer. Obviously it comes down to personal preference, but it seems if you believe in the new style of short stems 50mm & wide bars 750 or wider, you'll usually ride one size larger in the Ibis line up than other bike makers.

Again I'm 5'9" & love my large Mojo HD. My saddle is pushed forward & my stem is 50mm with 770mm wide bars. This bike in my opinion rips & feels like a mini DH bike on the descends, but yet still climbs incredible for a bike so capable on the DHs!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey Guys.
    I'm a new member here and this is my first post.

I'm 6' 1 1/2" and I was anguishing over the Large / X large question for some time...
    All my previous bikes have been XL, or 20.5" measured seat post lengths.

I was worried that the specified XL Mojo HDR seat post length of 21" might be a touch too much.. I was wrong, the frame is perfect and the actual measurement is closer to 20.5".. The seal / wiper ring on my KS LEV 125mm. dropper post sits approx. 3/4" above the top of the seat binder clamp allowing full leg extension when the post is fully extended...
    I prefer having the seat post sit lower/deeper into the frame as opposed to running the Lev closer to it's maximum extension , which would occur if I had chosen a 19" Large frame...

I feel that choosing an XL frame places less stress on the carbon fiber material at the seat post area due to less leverage applied by the shorter length of extended seat post......... I also feel that the top tube length of the XL frame works well with my choice of a shorter 70mm. stem...
    I hope the above makes sense...

Cheers T.

aka dan51
    6'2" on a L with 70mm stem, 750 bars, and the seat pushed forward most of the way.
    Rode an XL for 1.5 years and always felt it was a little big while cornering.
    This is a 26" hd, but I can't imagine geometry is much different between the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm a bigger guy, and in the past, I've purchased bikes / frames based proportionally to my size.
    We can't dictate what frame size is best for everyone....

mtbr member
    Just to bring another thought on this...aren't you guys going about this the wrong way? putting 80, 90 and 100mm stems on a bike like this seems crazy. It seems to me that's a very road bike way of sizing.
    There's a school of thought that stem length is so important on mountain bikes that you size your frame around a stem, not the other way around.
    I hardly think the move to short stems is a fad. On a bike like the HD a 50mm would DRAMATICALLY increase stability and confidence on the downs while giving up very little everywhere else. It's considered the sweet spot in stem length.
    Many manufacturers have already gone to longer top tubes to accommodate for a short stem, and more are moving that way for their 2014 bikes.
    Ibis has not and their Reach numbers really show it. My vote would be to go a size larger on the HDR.
    Anyway, just a thought.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It is really about personal preferences.
    In this month Mountain Bike Action, Brian Lopes (5 foot 9) says: "I'm riding a size large for my cross-country-type setup, but I also ride a medium for a more agressive all-mountain setup".
    Whether you are aggressive or not, try the M & L sizes and get your feelings!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    Just to bring another thought on this...aren't you guys going about this the wrong way? putting 80, 90 and 100mm stems on a bike like this seems crazy. It seems to me that's a very road bike way of sizing.
    There's a school of thought that stem length is so important on mountain bikes that you size your frame around a stem, not the other way around.
    I hardly think the move to short stems is a fad. On a bike like the HD a 50mm would DRAMATICALLY increase stability and confidence on the downs while giving up very little everywhere else. It's considered the sweet spot in stem length.
    Many manufacturers have already gone to longer top tubes to accommodate for a short stem, and more are moving that way for their 2014 bikes.
    Ibis has not and their Reach numbers really show it. My vote would be to go a size larger on the HDR.
    Anyway, just a thought.
    Exactly. Very good points Jon.

I also need the reach of a longer top tube but it was hard to find in most bikes until recently. I bought a 70mm. stem for my XL HDR and may go down to 50mm. if it's comfortable. The Large frame's top tube is under 24" and that's no good for me. The XL is around 24.5 or so and that's more like it...My son is taller than me and I like the top tube length of the new Pivot Mach 6 and may go that route for him. Longer top tube shorter stems, that makes sense to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast