screamer

Mojo HD, XF Sweep & some thoughts about offset

Had a couple rides on the new XFusion Sweep & wanted to pass on general impressions. The gist is that I really, really like this fork.

Setup: Mojo HD 140, XF O2 RCX shock, LB/Hope 27.5 wheels w/2.3 NeoMotos, mongrel 1x10 drivetrain, XT brakes, Reverb, 70mm stem slammed & 745mm low rise bars. Sweep set to 150mm from factory. 28.5 pounds incl. pedals.

Ride context: Typical SF Bay Area brand of techy XC (CC backside, Rockville, Skeggs, Tamo + Fight Club, Demo...) + lots of summer riding in Downieville & Tahoe (Mr Toads, Armstrong, Sayles, HITG...).

I've been swapping a Revelation Dual air & Marz 55 Micro Ti for the past couple of years depending on the ride, and was looking for something to split the difference. The revelation is great, but I always felt was the weak link on the bike. The Marz is great for straight line plowing chunk, but at the same time felt a bit sluggish in the corners & just not all that refined in terms of traction. The Sweep seems to cover all the bases w/o the deficiencies. Like the Rev it suits the HD's tight & precise "carve a corner" tendencies, and like the Marz it refuses to be deflected off line. You can just dive it into corners and have it track exactly where you want it to, which are attributes that I think jive perfectly with the HD's personality. Supple & controlled. So that's all good, and exactly the sort of goldilocks solution I was looking for.

What was unexpected -- and here's where the offset discussion comes into play -- is the effect on overall bike/body position. With the Marz I always felt a little behind & that the front end was a bit floppy. With the Rev it just got overwhelmed in high speed chunk, which also tended to throw me back and off line. So to compensate I really had to concentrate on keeping forward aggressively, and weighting the front end. That worked fine -- until I got tired or came into something particularly sketchy. Then the bad habits reappeared, and I'd find myself shifting back with a corresponding loss of handling. I'd attribute this to a combo of fatigue, bad technique, and also the high/long attributes of 27.5 wheels on a frame/fork not designed for that.

With the sweep, it's just a lot more comfortable & intuitive to stay in that forward attack position, which would make sense given the shorter trail/longer offset. Gone is the wheel flop and any trace of vague steering, and instead a much more "in the bike" sensation. Overall I'm a firm believer that equipment & setup shouldn't be used as a crutch for poor technique, but the corollary is that sometimes one finds a setup that really encourages proper technique, makes it seem effortless & flat out "clicks." With the Sweep, I've found one of those moments.

So who knows: there could be all sorts of reasons behind this. But since it has exactly the same A-C as the Marz, and since this seems like a geometry issue rather than actual suspension performance, I have to believe it has to do with the offset. Initially I was a bit skeptical that it would make any difference: but the difference is there, and I've come around to the conclusion that there might be something to it after all.

Minor quibbles: I was expecting the same detent compression adjustment that I like so much on the O2 -- actually usable unlike the RP23! -- but it's just a two-setting lockout. My fault for not researching properly, but still having some compression adjustment would be nice. That said, I think they nailed it from the factory. Shock pump is a piece of garbage. Haven't opened the fork up yet, but still seems as if XF is a bit behind w/publishing service manuals. Rebound has a whopping 36 detents! Nice for making minor adjustments, but it sort of takes forever to make all those turns...

Overall, I recommend anyone who's in the market for a 34mm replacement fork give the Sweep/Slant a look.
    Last edited by budgie; 02-02-2014 at 05:25 PM.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Thanks budgie... good review

mtbr member
    Was your Revelation a 650b model w/ 42 offset, or a 26" w/ 40? .... and what's the offset of the Marz?

I felt exactly the same about that damper in the Velvet...."What!? No compression adjustment?" But it works so well I ended up not missing it too much

screamer
    26" revelation, so 40mm. Not sure about the Marz.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I ran one of those for a while too, and felt like the offset was a little shorter than ideal with a 650b front wheel. Looks like on an HDR 650b, a 150mm sweep would result in a about 101mm trail... That's at the top end of what I'd like to have for all-around aggressive trail riding, and combined with the price difference and my positive Velvet experience may sway me away from a Pike when I (finally, hopefully) order an HDR later this year.
    Post up more impressions as you get some more time on it.

screamer
    Yeah, in an ideal world I would have tested out a Pike for comparison, but it's just hard to organize. I like RS products, but I'm none too keen on their CS/warranty/service policy. XFusion is just down the road for me, so it's easy to drop off for routine service. Like you I've had really good impressions of their stuff in the past: the 02 is awesome. And I'd be lying if I said the Lopes/ACC fanboi syndrome wasn't a factor. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. Then there's the price difference...

mtbr member
    Great right up budgie, I hope to give mine a good flogging this weekend but initial ride impressions are positive!

On a related note there was a rumor of one of the XF guys running a mod'd Sweep with the HLR vs. RL2 dampner, makes you wonder how modular they are? Ive alo heard that a HLR version might be showing up in the future but man that would pretty much kill Vengeance sales I'd think (especially with the Metric out).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Based on your experience it is probably no coincidence that the Sweep RL2 is on the HDR Special Blend. Ibis Mojo HDR 27.5" Special Blend Bike > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Man thats a good price. Its like getting a free wheelset and SLX/Deore drivetrain.

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000 View Post
    On a related note there was a rumor of one of the XF guys running a mod'd Sweep with the HLR vs. RL2 dampner, makes you wonder how modular they are?
    That would be super awesome. Not that I have any complaints with the RL2 so far, but I'm a tinkerer and more knobs & dials the better.

(Wait, did that sound dirty?)

mtbr member
    Thank you for posting this. The 27.5 Pike is only a 42 offset and would've screwed my bike's handling (Going from a 32 F150 to a 27.5 34/Pike/Sweep).

Looking at the Sweep's 46mm offset, my trail comes back in line (after being raised by the extra a2c length of the 34/35 mm and 27.5 sized fork).

I think I just found my fork!

mtbr member
    Was your offset comparison more towards the 26" Rev (40mm offset) or the Marz?

Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    26" revelation, so 40mm. Not sure about the Marz.
    The Marz 55 Micro Ti shows a 44mm offset (same as a Fox 34)
    (Tenneco Marzocchi Suspension - 2012 All Mountain forks - 55 MICRO TI)

Could you really feel a substantial difference between it and the Sweep? Surprised 2mm offset makes that big of a difference.

I've got another week to decide on a fork and return the other.

I've currently got a Talas 150/120 34 or a Sweep 150.

The offset of the Sweep sounds great, but the TALAS would probably yield a better climber (we have lots of sustained climbing along the Denver Front Range, so dropping the front end would probably be nicer for a 45-60 min sustained climb).

mtbr member
    Why not consider the DLA version of the sweep? If I recall its also lighter than the talas.

mtbr member
    Why not consider the DLA version of the sweep? If I recall its also lighter than the talas.
    I'd love too, but you can't get them. I just got off the phone with XFusion and they are redesigning the DLA as they admitted it was problematic. Availability is end of summer, maybe.

It would be reverse compatible with an existing Sweep, but he said it'll be 160/130 only. (Not 160-150 adjustable max travel like the Fox 34). That would kick my HA down to 65.5*, which is quite slack... Even with a 46mm offset.

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Could you really feel a substantial difference between it and the Sweep? Surprised 2mm offset makes that big of a difference.
    Yeah, it's really hard to say exactly what to attribute the difference to, and I'll be the first to admit that this very well could be a princess & pea situation... But given that the Marz 55 A) has the same A-C, and B) is likely to be as stiff (if not more stiff) than the Sweep, I'm not sure what else it could be other than offset. The Sweep is notably more precise and sharper-handling. I think the only way to be 100% certain whether offset makes a substantial difference would be to ride the Sweep & the Slant back-to-back. Everything else is just speculation!

Let's put it this way. I'm really happy with the fork, and would heartily recommend it to anyone.

EDIT: And so far I've been pretty happy with how it climbs at 150mm. We have some nasty steep & technical climbs in our area, and I've had no trouble even compared to my Revelation (429mm A-C). I have the regular RL2, non-DLA version of the Sweep.

mtbr member
    No issues with mine (so far), what was the problem?

mtbr member
    No issues with mine (so far), what was the issue?
    Something about leaking/loosing air pressure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    EDIT: And so far I've been pretty happy with how it climbs at 150mm. We have some nasty steep & technical climbs in our area, and I've had no trouble even compared to my Revelation (429mm A-C). I have the regular RL2, non-DLA version of the Sweep.
    Great. Thanks for responding.

BTW: any idea what your head angle is now?

I'm still really interested in the Sweep, sounds like a great fork and perfect for my needs.

I've got one of the super cheap Backcountry 34 Talas 150's... I think my plan is to ride it for awhile and see how I like all of the geo changes of my 650b conversion and see if I really feel the need to run a travel adjust fork, or if I'll be fine at 150mm.

Then (towards the end of the summer) I'll sell off the 34 and pick the best fork for my bike.

mtbr member
    Ok good to know, will keep an eye out on mine.

mtbr member
    Reading more in this thread and others, I think I'm about to recommit to the Sweep.

It simply offers the best package of what I want:

1) stiffness to weight to plushness ratio (everything I read puts it in par with a Pike and ahead of a 34)
    2) low cost
    3) set and forget damper (CTD didn't work for me... I also had a Mission Control damper on the Lyrik on my old Enduro and simply never took the time to really dial it in... I just wanted to ride)
    4) lowest a2c of 27.5 trail/Enduro forks (34/Pike/Sweep)
    5) highest offset (to reduce trail/speed up handling on a slacked out 650b conversion)