mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Mojo HD on a workstand

I was wondering how everyone was putting their mojo on a workstand with a dropper post. I don't want to mess up my dropper post but at the same time can the front opening/ top tube take that kind of stress?

So the options are:

1. Clamp to the dropper post shaft.
    2. Clamp to the front part of the top tube.
    3. Take dropper off and put another seat post on for maintenance.

What's the consensus?

Patrick

mountain biker
    Ha! I was about to post the same question. I resorted to buying a cheap seatpost for $20 to replace the dropper post for use in the stand. Would still be curious to know what others have done/do.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    Which dropper you running?

I have two bikes with Specialized Blacklite command post and I store the bikes on two repair stands clamping them by the post with no issues. Before the command post I ran a Mavrick speedball for 5 years and clamped it the same way with no issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The KS LEV 125. It's just a pain to take off, I just didn't want to mess up any internals or scratch it. If you have to torque a BB do you just take it off the stand?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I run the Specialized Command Post and notice that my park stand clamp can put some stress on the post's cable when it's clamped to the post's inner tube (the tube the raises/lowers with the saddle). Due to the stress on the cable (it's just a derailleur cable), I've had to replace the cable already (only 7-8 months of use).

I'm now loosening the seat post collar and moving the entire command post up so that the park stand clamps onto the base outside diameter of the seat post itself. Though I generally have to lower the saddle to lowest position on the command post to ensure there's enough slack in the cable when the post itself is raised. This approach is effectively the same as raising your standard non-dropper seat post to put your bike on the stand.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I take my dropper post out, let it hang and put in a cheap post that I bought for this purpose

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pat656 View Post
    The KS LEV 125. It's just a pain to take off, I just didn't want to mess up any internals or scratch it. If you have to torque a BB do you just take it off the stand?
    It's a seat post that holds up to my 230lbs while riding and I have hit it so hard on bad landings that I have bent the seat rails. If the post can't hold my bike while I do some maintenance on it then the post won't last when I ride with it.

Simple thing to do is have enough post showing so your stands clamp can grab it around the bigger outer diameter.

mtbr member
    I just clamp right to my lev post also.. Though my stand has soft rubbery inserts around where the clamping is done.. Though if im working up front ill clamp onto the stem and hold the bike up that way.. This way im not attached to the lev unless i need to be.. Hope that makes sense..

As for torquing your BB.. I just turned the bike over so its upside down on the ground(seat and bars)-- and then torqued my bb that way.. Things were just tooo wonky on the stand and this way i felt like a got a lot more umph...
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com