Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Mojo HD weaknesses

Hi,

I am a firm believer that everything is a compromise out there. As such, as great as the design on the Mojo HD is, the bike is built on compromises. I think that, part of being a happy owner is to understand the compromises of the bike, hence why I am asking the questions: What are the weaknesses of the Mojo HD?

As a potential buyer, I want to understand what I will potentially have to compromise on, if I get this bike. Just a bit of background, I currently ride a 140mm bike and I am really happy with the travel. I don't necessarily need more, but I am looking for a slacker head angle, around , as I am getting into more technical riding. I don't really do jumps or gaps and have a preference in having my 2 wheels on the ground. I ride Colorado Front Range type of terrain, i.e. lots of rocks, roots, rock gardens. etc... I ride trails with long fireroad climbs, short steep and technical climbs. On the down side, we have everything from tight switchbacks to long flowy downhills to technical steep trails... all of these can sometimes be found in a single ride.

Thanks a lot in advance.

The reason why I am looking at changing from my current bike
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm totally not answering your question, but if you're happy with your current bike and travel, you could try using something like Cane Creek's Angleset to slacken the head angle. I have the Mojo SL-R (so can't comment on HD weaknesses specifically) with the Angleset at -1.5 degrees, moving the HA from 69 degrees (spec'd with a 140 mm fork, which is what I have) to 67.5 degrees. I like it a lot and haven't had any issues with it. Just a thought given that $150 headset is much cheaper than a $5,000 bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Not sure if mine is an "SL" or an "R", but I roll 650B on a 130 fork and I'm not sure how the head angle is now...But I like it!
    (way better when rockin' it)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Weakness is in the eye of the beholder as what I might think is a strength you might think its a weakness.

A better question is to ask what your looking for and then we can tell you if it's a strength of the HD or a weakness.

If you don't leave the ground then I would say any 6 inch travel bike is a weakness as it has more travel then you need. Also the added weight is not needed so it's a weakness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Weakness is the sizing runs small

mtbr member
    Only a couple small complaints.
    1) Sizing runs small imo
    2) Clearance for rotors in back is tight. I run a hope 183 and there's barely any room between rotor and stay.
    It was a real close call with my 5.7 before going with the HD but im happy(er) now..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Rides high in the rear so it feels a little unerving at first. But that's a strength when you climbing.

mtbr member
    The price? Other than that, the bike is the greatest thing in the whole world, at least as far as bikes go.

Lightly salted
    I think the cable mounts and routing could be better on the HD. Maybe a re-route that leaves the top tube clean and also the lower down tube clean so you don't have to run the poly guard to protect the hose and cable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I second this.
    I don't like the rear brake going through the frame.
    The bolt head on the lope link nearly cut through my rear brake line while doing shuttle runs at Mt Stromlo. Now I have a piece of plastic tube taped to the cable.
    Cable runs down the side of the down tube would be a reasonable solution but would distract from the aesthetics. I prefer the top tube routing on my classic. Although I do like the way my 1x10 HD looks without any cables on the top tube, so much that I haven't bothered buying a remote kit for my Joplin seatpost.

I also don't like the front derailleur mounting it is too high if you want to run 2x10 with a 32 to 36 largest ring. This is due to the location of the lower pivots. The main problem with this is the gap between the outer cage of the derailleur and the chainring means the chain can fall off. That is on of the reasons I run 1x10. This problem could be solved if someone would make a front derailleur specifically for these smaller 2x10 chainring combination, which are becoming more popular with AM riding as it allows more clearance for technical riding. I don't like to run a bashgaurd as it cuts down on clearance and I rarely hit my chainring. If I'm going to go somewhere really technical I just carry a spare ring which is lighter than most bash gaurds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    the new down tube protector could scretch a little more over the bottom bracket

color/carbon cracks at the top of the seat tube

very very minimal chain clearance at the cassette in the small ring

you have to take off the brake hose to pull it between the seat tube and the rear triangle

head tube could be straight 1.5

look like the x12 "holders" could be moved a little outwards... had to take some material off when moving the hub from a specialized SX

more clearance for tyre in the back is nice but a few mm more would be better (could probably even fit some offset bushings at this moment with ex823 and butchers sx 2.35 but it would be tights ... not sure about the link though)

should be slacker per default giving a 64 HA with 180 and angleset

OH YEAH
    its true, good thing i noticed from the start (empty air can test) that the brake hose gets clamped between the link and the rear triangle after the suspension is compressed enough ... had to tweaked cable lenght in that section or there would be a serious problem some day all of a sudden
    _______
    i hate every single moronic website/magazine review-er out there .
    Last edited by random; 05-10-2012 at 07:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi,

thanks a lot for your suggestion and I wish I could use it to slacken the head angle of my existing bike, unfortunately, it isn't an option as the frame doesn't support the Angleset, hence why I am potentially looking for a new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by anwleung View Post
    I'm totally not answering your question, but if you're happy with your current bike and travel, you could try using something like Cane Creek's Angleset to slacken the head angle. I have the Mojo SL-R (so can't comment on HD weaknesses specifically) with the Angleset at -1.5 degrees, moving the HA from 69 degrees (spec'd with a 140 mm fork, which is what I have) to 67.5 degrees. I like it a lot and haven't had any issues with it. Just a thought given that $150 headset is much cheaper than a $5,000 bike.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    - Lack of ISCG tabs limits chain management options
    - Tire clearance (not width, but diameter - interference with seat post on bottom-out with some tires)

No weaknesses in the ride itself that I can identify. The bike does everything well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    btw there was a huge improvement for tyre clearance in 2012 ...

-direct mount derailleur
    -shaved seat tube where the tyre comes closest (and its also shaved in the link area... not sure if it was before)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmoonracer View Post
    Not sure if mine is an "SL" or an "R", but I roll 650B on a 130 fork and I'm not sure how the head angle is now...But I like it!
    (way better when rockin' it)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    You don't know which bike you have? It is written on the side of the bike.

mtbr member
    It's expensive. It weighs more than bikes that can do less. It doesn't have a beer fridge.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    It doesn't have a beer fridge.
    imo, this is the biggest drawback. At least with a re-turner, you can drink cold beer when it cracks and they reweld it.

mtbr member
    The biggest issue I have seen are from people who do not have any clue how they like to ride and explain that to someone tuning the rear shock. As with other high end bike frames, you will see threads from time to time about how the HD is bad at this or that. These come from people who don't know much about bikes or tuning. The HD may be the most versatile 140/160mm bike in the world. You can make the bike do anything you want, you just have to tune it to do so. Want it plush, there is a shock and setting for that, want a downhill racer and climber, there is a shock and setting for that. You normally could never get an all mountain bike to ride like a trail racer, but you can with the HD. You can also set it up for a downhill jumping machine. My biggest complaint, is listening to people tell people on fourms after they ride one, tuned or not tuned to the new riders weight, or riding style, how it did not work for them. They don't understand tuning at all and like any other good bike, Ibis, Santa Cruz, specialized, you must take time and tune your bike to your style. Once you have done that, this bike will reward you in ways that will bring a big smile to your face.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    The biggest issue I have seen are from people who do not have any clue how they like to ride and explain that to someone tuning the rear shock. As with other high end bike frames, you will see threads from time to time about how the HD is bad at this or that. These come from people who don't know much about bikes or tuning. The HD may be the most versatile 140/160mm bike in the world. You can make the bike do anything you want, you just have to tune it to do so. Want it plush, there is a shock and setting for that, want a downhill racer and climber, there is a shock and setting for that. You normally could never get an all mountain bike to ride like a trail racer, but you can with the HD. You can also set it up for a downhill jumping machine. My biggest complaint, is listening to people tell people on fourms after they ride one, tuned or not tuned to the new riders weight, or riding style, how it did not work for them. They don't understand tuning at all and like any other good bike, Ibis, Santa Cruz, specialized, you must take time and tune your bike to your style. Once you have done that, this bike will reward you in ways that will bring a big smile to your face.
    I completely agree with this. It's taken me almost 4 years to get my SL to where I want it. No fault of the bike but it took that long for me to understand how I want to ride, experiment with different set-ups and afford the time and money to change things around. It's all part of the hobby.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Beautiful frame but no water bottle holder of any use so practically it's a backpack or go thirsty. Probably makes the frame more rigid.
    Oddly most of the boutique companies build AM frames with no bottle holders inside the triangle, but the biggies design their frames to fit water bottles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's biggest weakness by far is the rider.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Ralph View Post
    Beautiful frame but no water bottle holder of any use so practically it's a backpack or go thirsty. Probably makes the frame more rigid.
    Oddly most of the boutique companies build AM frames with no bottle holders inside the triangle, but the biggies design their frames to fit water bottles.
    It's annoying...You can always get a Roadie Jersey and throw water bottles in the back pockets if you like to ride without a pack. I will do that on easier, XC style rides.

mtbr member
    The only actual weakness I can think of is that the suspension was really finicky to get dialed. It took me a dozen rides and a lot of experimentation to get it to where I'm totally happy with it. Could be a function of the stock rp23 (which I'm still not very impressed with). Ibis should really offer some other shocks as options. I'm interested in trying a monarch and seeing if that matches the bike better.

Lack of chainguide mounts is a bit of a glaring omission with a bike this capable. I'm running dual rings and haven't had any chain droppage at all though.

Other than that, the only real weaknesses are things that are just a given with this sort of bike. It pedals fantastic for a 160mm bike, but it will never be an XC rocket. The long wheelbase and slack front end definitely make it a handful in tight, twisty trail or on steep climbs. It does run a bit small (I've run small frames my entire cycling career, but I'm on a medium HD). If you're seriously looking at it, you probably understand what you're getting into. I consider it an XC bike for people who seriously love nasty terrain or have a lot of DH experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Ralph View Post
    See I see this as a strength not a weakness, I don't use water bottles so I don't need a frame that is designed around them instead of making the bike better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    the only tradeoff i would point to is the bike does not feel plush - Ie my 160mm HD is not nearly as plush as a comparable horst link frame.. So in a way you are buying a jeep with BMW suspension. Now mind you I am focusing on the feel vs effectiveness. The DW suspension IS very effective, but I was thrown for a loop when my 160mm HD (push tuned for a plush setup) feels about the same as my 140mm turner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast