Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mojo HD weaknesses

8K views 55 replies 31 participants last post by  Huck Pitueee 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am a firm believer that everything is a compromise out there. As such, as great as the design on the Mojo HD is, the bike is built on compromises. I think that, part of being a happy owner is to understand the compromises of the bike, hence why I am asking the questions: What are the weaknesses of the Mojo HD?

As a potential buyer, I want to understand what I will potentially have to compromise on, if I get this bike. Just a bit of background, I currently ride a 140mm bike and I am really happy with the travel. I don't necessarily need more, but I am looking for a slacker head angle, around , as I am getting into more technical riding. I don't really do jumps or gaps and have a preference in having my 2 wheels on the ground. I ride Colorado Front Range type of terrain, i.e. lots of rocks, roots, rock gardens. etc... I ride trails with long fireroad climbs, short steep and technical climbs. On the down side, we have everything from tight switchbacks to long flowy downhills to technical steep trails... all of these can sometimes be found in a single ride.

Thanks a lot in advance.

The reason why I am looking at changing from my current bike

See less See more
#42 ·
Not sure who is referring to the pre or post 2012 model HD's (IMO it is important to clarify due to the model differences), but I've had no tire clearance issues with my 2012 in either 140mm or 160mm guise (running a 2.25 Ardent, renowned as being a large tire). No shifting or drivetrain setup issues either (2012 XT gear + SRAM X0 2sp cranks).

Cable routing would be a minor gripe of mine, but very few manufacturers get it spot on IMO (Nicolai being one such exception).

Think I've rubbed the rear stay a couple of times when running flats but its similar to some other bikes I've ridden TBH. Clipped in I am yet to rub the stay.

RP23? Well I don't mind mine at all for trail riding (2012 model) but don't run one in 160mm travel mode (use Vivid 5.1 coil instead, which is great!).

I also don't ride with bottles so lack if cage mounts is trivial to me, but understand those that don't like riding with packs would expect better bottle mount positions.

ISCG tabs? Well many have run BB-mounted devices with great success, besides the fact there are the Ibis specific 1x and now 2x guides available... IMO this point is now rather mute.

All bikes have weaknesses, but the HD, IMO, is as close to perfect as anyone is yet to get.

#44 ·
Just a clarification on tire clearance.

The original HD160 has some tire to seat tube rub problems with some taller tires that could clear the stays.

The July 2011, second generation frame, added almost 1/4 inch more seat tube clearance, which only rubs now with 650b wheels with 2.3 tires. A shorter than 650b wheel, up to 26x 2.6 DH tire will clear the HD160 seat tube now if it was narrow enough to clear the stays.

#48 ·
I've got a 2012 HD. No problems at all with FD set up and shifting, but tolerances are tight for sure. I could be wrong, but modifying the FD cage with a grinder as some have done seems to be treating a symptom rather than addressing the real issue (improper set-up maybe?)

Also, I don't find cable routing a weakness at all, provided you use the down tube protector (I doubt anyone isn't). Routing is clean, secure, and with proper lengths, there is virtually no rub at all.

The only significant weakness IMO is the rp23. Great for climbing efficiency, but very harsh on the high speed chunk. I'm looking forward to switching to a monarch plus based on what I've heard about it.

#50 ·
The fixed mount front with XT der was, by far, the easiest time ever to mount and adjust a FD I have experienced. Simply bolt on an slide down to the optimum height. No contact with frame or links. No 10 speed chain rub in any gear. Adjust low and high limit screws. Presto! Done! Perfect fit! I'm using a triple crank with duel rings and bash guard, the der cage is as low as possible without rubbing the bash guard.

The RP23 is not a weakness of the HD. It's the OEM low end default option. Most riders are very happy with the RP23, being about the same level or a step up from their prior bike's shock. The HD works great with any air or coil shock after decent tuning adjustment. The better the shock the better the HD performs. Unlike many 5 to 6 inch bikes including the Mojo SL, the HD suspension leverage works excellently, ideally, with any good quality coil shock.

Weakness? ... I guess the lack of ISCG tabs to run ISCG compatible guides or Hammershmit. MRP makes HD compatible chain guides. I've heard from a pro DH racer that the new Shadow Plus and Sram's version rear derailleurs have eliminated chain drop, chain guides may become obsolete?

#51 ·
I've had mine for 2 seasons and the pivot bearings died too soon but Ibis rolled out the red carpet and treated me like royalty. The rp23 was ok but an upgrade to a RS monarch plus was huge. If Ibis builds a 650-b specific frame I'd jump on it. All around performance of the HD is insane!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.