mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Mojo HD vs Pivot Firebird

I inadvertently sparked a heated debate in the all mountain forum by choosing a poor title for my thread. As a result I am taking a suggestion and moving my question here. I recently sold my Nomad, which I liked a lot, and am in need of a new all mountain rig. I want to try something different and have pretty much decided on a DW link bike. I am between the Mojo HD and the Pivot Firebird. Has anyone ridden both? I am going to demo a Mojo on Tuesday. I am having a hard time finding a pivot to try out. I have never owned/tried a carbon bike and I am kind of leaning toward the ibis in the spirit of really trying something new. Any input would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have not rode the Firebird, but IMHO it would be Mojo HD all the way. Reasons are: it is carbon which holds up great, it is stiffer, and lighter. Also I believe the Firebird to be more on the freeride side of things, and the Mojo HD is more pure all-mountain. HD, HD, HD!

www.derbyrims.com
    First impression demoing both is the HD 160 feels lighter, more climbable, and more nimble handling. But the demos were in different places and the builds were different, HD was XT Dyna-Sys with light CB Cobalt wheel and Mutano tires, the FB had XTR 9-Speed and I don't remember the wheels.

The geometry posted on the Pivot and Ibis site shows nearly identical numbers except the Large (my size) is 0.3 inch shorter TT and 0.5 shorter wheelbase with the HD. The geo difference was felt when demoing, the Firebird felt a little more stable, bigger, and slower handling in a Large size.

I'm buying an HD over a Firebird due to a few things....

1. I'm a clyde, 200 lbs ride weight, plus gear, and heavier during the winter. My 5 year old Mojo Carbon has been, by far, the most durable full suspension frame I've ever owned in 15 years of owning FS bikes frequently riding harsh conditions.

2. I like experimenting with handling geometry. The HD geometry is very versatile. The 140mm rear travel option opens up many geometry options.

3. Totally subjective... I like the appearance of the Ibis bikes more than the Pivot design.

I don't think you can go wrong in any way with either bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks guys.

Derby, I too tip the scales at around 200 lbs depending on the season. The more I read, the more I like the flexability of the mojo. Being able to change out the rear shock to change the travel is appealing as well as the possibility of running the 650b wheel option. The latter has been intriguing to me for a couple years now, just not enough to buy a separate bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Doesn't the HD have some tire clearance issues with the largest rubber? As in the tire rubbing the seat tube?

HD has somewhat shorter chainstays I believe, making it a little more playful for lofting the front wheel, while by the same token the FB is maybe a bit more stable. From my brief HD test, the HD is a little more compliant going uphill while FB has a stiffer pedaling feel. Depends on what you're into.

To me the FB is a little more on the burly side of things with the 1.5 head tube and aluminum construction. The HD would be a good choice if you're looking to have a 28 lb 160mm trailbike. Not that you can't build the FB up light if you want to, its just tougher to do it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I live in CT and I would say that my bikes probably see 70/30% trail/bike park use. I ride the local trails here and take several trips a season to Highland Bike Park. I am not a super aggressive rider. Being 200+ lbs when I throw a leg over the bike I am not overly concerned with a few grams here and there. In the end, 2 lbs will not keep me from making a climb. There are many other factors working against me on that one. I think the big thing is going to be the dealer and, I'm sorry to say, neither option has a "local" bike shop. I am driving to NY to ride the Mojo and I have yet to find a FB to ride outside of a parking lot. I have to say that so far I have been very happy with the service of the Ibis dealer. Time will tell, but the owner is actually taking me out for an hour or two on the local trails near the shop to explain the bike and show me the best variety of terrain to test it out on. That is a first for me. The more I read, the more I think the Mojo will work best for me. I just need to pull the trigger and start ordering parts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Go with the Mojo HD, I had the same issue when i purchased the HD 4 months ago. I also mainly ride in CT and the HD fits my riding perfectly. I took it to Mount Snow and it handled everything there, no problem. Also, the main local Ibis dealer, Briarcliff Bike Works is run by Lou who is awesome, I now won't have my bike worked on by anyone else. It makes a huge difference. Service is top notch. GO WITH THE IBIS!!

Dropshot Champ!
    I demo'd a large firebird with xtr and some nice wheels. The guy said it was sub 30. It felt like 35 climbing though. Just kinda felt slow. Was a damn great bike, but I wasn't overly impressed. The trail was aggressive xc with a nice chunk of climbing though, so it was a little out of it's element.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by recleaver View Post
    Go with the Mojo HD, I had the same issue when i purchased the HD 4 months ago. I also mainly ride in CT and the HD fits my riding perfectly. I took it to Mount Snow and it handled everything there, no problem. Also, the main local Ibis dealer, Briarcliff Bike Works is run by Lou who is awesome, I now won't have my bike worked on by anyone else. It makes a huge difference. Service is top notch. GO WITH THE IBIS!!
    Thanks, I'm happy to hear that. I have been on the phone and swapping emails with Lou and he has been great so far. I look forward to meeting him in person tomorrow and riding the HD for a bit. Did you get the 160 or the 140 HD? I think that is my next decision to make.

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I demo'd a large firebird with xtr and some nice wheels. The guy said it was sub 30. It felt like 35 climbing though. Just kinda felt slow. Was a damn great bike, but I wasn't overly impressed. The trail was aggressive xc with a nice chunk of climbing though, so it was a little out of it's element.
    Thanks for the info. As it stands right now I think the FB is almost out of the picture. Not because I don't think I would like the bike, but the dealer support doesn't seem to compare to what I am getting with Lou at Briarcliff Bike Works. In the end I think I would probably be happy with either bike but I think the Mojo is a little better suited to my riding.

Gonna have to wait to see if I pull the trigger before I leave the shop tomorrow...

Dropshot Champ!
    definitely try to ride both first if you can. It's my opinion that you'll be even more happy with your hd purchase after riding a firebird hehe.

I do what I want
    Why dont you go ask this question in the Pivot forum as well. Not to piss in anyone's backyard, but this whole point of which bike to buy is mute and completely one sided if you don't ask in both forums. Unless your choice had already been made to purchase an Ibis and you just wanted the fanboys to confirm your thoughts??

Im pretty sure if you went into any brand specific forum and asked about that brands bike vs brandx your going to get a whole bunch of fanboys jumping all over their brand saying its the best in the buisness and saying brandx bike is lacking somehow.

FWIW, I ride a Kona, so I have no vested interest in either brand, other than I like them both equally and think if your going compare, at least give them both a fair comparison.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Why dont you go ask this question in the Pivot forum as well. Not to piss in anyone's backyard, but this whole point of which bike to buy is mute and completely one sided if you don't ask in both forums. Unless your choice had already been made to purchase an Ibis and you just wanted the fanboys to confirm your thoughts??

Im pretty sure if you went into any brand specific forum and asked about that brands bike vs brandx your going to get a whole bunch of fanboys jumping all over their brand saying its the best in the buisness and saying brandx bike is lacking somehow.

FWIW, I ride a Kona, so I have no vested interest in either brand, other than I like them both equally and think if your going compare, at least give them both a fair comparison.
    Point taken. I have been posting in some of the Pivot threads as well but haven't started my own. I tried to get a completely unbiased thread started in the All Mountain forum but as I mentioned earlier, it turned into a debate over the frame material more than anything. My fault for using the wrong title.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by charmon2 View Post
    Thanks, I'm happy to hear that. I have been on the phone and swapping emails with Lou and he has been great so far. I look forward to meeting him in person tomorrow and riding the HD for a bit. Did you get the 160 or the 140 HD? I think that is my next decision to make.

:
    To be honest I haven't tried it at 140, but i couldn't be happier with it at 160. I was so shocked at how well it pedaled at 160, i never looked back. If you do the occasional park ride, def. go with 160. One thing to note: I bought the XT spec model with the Talas, I rarely use the travel adjust (only on extreme almost can't pedal inclines) and now would prabably have opted for the float or Lyrik. The bike is super tough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Having a good local dealer is a big plus whichever you choose.

I played a bit on both...currently have a Reign X and now an HD on order. I went HD for the carbon frame and therefore ~1.5lb weight savings over the FB. I also, just wanted to get on a Carbon mountain bike. I actually prefer the geo on the FB as it's closer to my Reign X and has a much lower top tube which I love. I really think Ibis is blowing it on making very short top tubes for their seat tube length. I would buy the large but I don't want longer then a 17" seattube. I know people that have to run their Reverbs 1" low on large Mojo's because there just isn't the space for it to fit fully extended, but they want the longer top tube of the Large frame. rant over...

I found it much easier to pop wheelies and manual on the FB as well, even with it being a heavier build. Setup is huge, so it's always hard to compare bikes that you haven't setup specifically for yourself over weeks of trial and error. My initial impression was that both are stiffer then my Reign X and both can move through rough baby head terrain and smooth it out quite well. I felt that the FB has a tad less response to pedal strokes, but I bet that also makes it a supple climber like my Reign X. The HD has less movement under pedal power and we'll see how that translates on steep loose and rocky climbs. I think the FB feels like the ultimate Reign X while the HD feels like a noticeable divergence in favor of pedaling efficiency. One thing I'm not a fan of is the floating front derailleur on the FB. Cool thought, but really hard to pull off. The bike I rode make a squeaky sound and I was told it goes away with a little lube, but comes back so he just lives with it.

Both are awesome bikes in this class and to say one is more freeride oriented is just silly. Both can be built to handle resort park riding days very solidly, or even 40+ mile XC days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I rode the HD with Lou yesterday. What a great bike! Pedals like a champ, even better than my Nomad did. I rode it in the 140 trim but I think I will end up on a 160. I was very impressed with the bike and even more so with the shop (Briarcliff bike works) and the owner, Lou, who took several hours out of his day to go over the bike and take me out for a ride on the local trails. The shop is about 90 minutes from my house and it was worth the drive.

Can't wait to put an order in for my new frame, it sounds like ibis is catching up on their inventory so I shouldn't have to wait too long. Doesn't matter too much, I still have a lot of parts to buy before I have a complete bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Awesome great to hear it, Lou has great suggestion as to build kits etc. PM me if you want my 2c, once it's done hit me up and we'll go for a ride, I want to test it out at Diablo or Highland.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Isn't it great to have such a dilemma? Both are incredible bikes. I came down to the same choice, FB or HD. The HD was my choice. I know the dimensions are about the same, but the HD cockpit seems more balanced, it pedals up hills like a cross country bike...but comfortable. Coming down hill was awesome on both, it was the climbing that sold me. Either way, you will have an awesome bike...good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawyerdog View Post
    Isn't it great to have such a dilemma? Both are incredible bikes. I came down to the same choice, FB or HD. The HD was my choice. I know the dimensions are about the same, but the HD cockpit seems more balanced, it pedals up hills like a cross country bike...but comfortable. Coming down hill was awesome on both, it was the climbing that sold me. Either way, you will have an awesome bike...good luck!
    Ya, life is full of hard choices, ha ha! I was very impressed with the climbing of the HD as well. I think it will fit my riding style very well. Now the hardest part of this is working all of these 16 hour shifts to pay for my new bike build. I can't wait!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawyerdog View Post
    You absolutely right and now i have same thing thebird or HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Best way I can put this is that they are different feeling bikes, both outstanding, but different. Best to ride both, but I think you'll favor the hd if coming from a shorter travel background (meaning most of your riding has been on bikes less than 6") and the firebird if you are coming from a longer travel background (freeride, dh and bike parks)