Thread: Mojo HD sizing

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Mojo HD sizing

I need a bit of help if anyone can advise me.

I am looking to buy a Mojo HD140 but I want to test ride one first. I am 177cm (5'9") tall and wondered what size I should test, a medium or a large? In the past I have had a SC LT and a LTc in medium then in large. Both felt ok and I know the Mojo comes up a bit short but not as short as the SC frames do.

One problem Jeff at Ibis said was if I went for a large I would not be able to use a 125cm dropper post. I had forgotten about this as I had that exact problem on my LTc in large. The reverb fully inserted was too long when extended and I ended up selling it and it was a pain riding along adjusting it to get to the right height.

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    I recommend the longer wheelbase -> L

What is it that prevents from using the 125cm dropper post? That the "fixed" part is too long so it can't be inserted as far as you want to?
    I can report that I run my 125mm dropper post in my L frame with additional ~5cm outside. I am 1.84 (6'0") with long legs (35.43 inseam) though. My dropper psot is a Kind Shock i900R, which is overall shorter than the Reverb. If my sources are right, the 125mm KS is 385mm long, whereas the 125mm Reverb is 420mm (Reverb | SRAM). So with a shorter post you'll find relieve for this issue! (For KindShock you'll prefer the latest model LEV, whichs seems to have similar measures: LEV — KS | Get Down and Dirty)

If you already own the Reverb, consider to change it. I'd say a optimal frame size is more important, so adjust the post.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hi,
    you could use the 125mm Reverb plus the enduro collar. The Enduro Collar clamps to the upper shaft and allows the rider to customize (set a limit) the overall travel of the seatpost.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    I need a bit of help if anyone can advise me.

I am looking to buy a Mojo HD140 but I want to test ride one first. I am 177cm (5'9") tall and wondered what size I should test, a medium or a large? In the past I have had a SC LT and a LTc in medium then in large. Both felt ok and I know the Mojo comes up a bit short but not as short as the SC frames do.

One problem Jeff at Ibis said was if I went for a large I would not be able to use a 125cm dropper post. I had forgotten about this as I had that exact problem on my LTc in large. The reverb fully inserted was too long when extended and I ended up selling it and it was a pain riding along adjusting it to get to the right height.
    I am also 5'9" and prefer the medium. I like the medium in technical terrain, and just use a longer stem (70-80mm). The large with its longer wheelbase offers stability on steep and fast sections, while the medium gives quicker directional changes, like on twisting trails (it slices and dices).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I am also 5'9" and have demoed both the large and medium hd160 so not sure about the hd140 but here goes. Like pastajet says the large felt very stable on steep and fast sections but for me I just couldn't get it to flow in the tight twisty stuff which is what I mostly ride. I then had a chance to demo a medium with a 90mm stem in Moab. I rode it for 2 days riding "The whole enchilada and Amasa Back." The medium was amazing, I was able to take rocky lines that my friends were avoiding with no problem and it climbed like a goat. It really does slice and dice. I currently ride a large Mojo Classic but a medium hd160 is my next bike.
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had this same problem a week ago when ordering my HD from the LBS. I too am 5'9". I tried a large for fit and it seemed good, but maybe a little stretched. I'm used to this feeling though as I ride a large Cannondale Flash which is probably a little big for me. When adjusting the seat post we realized a 125mm Reverb wouldn't work for me. They didn't have any mediums to try so I just ordered one blindly off of their recommendation. Now that I have the bike all built I can say that a medium was the way to go for me. I'm only going to swap the stem for an 80 or 90mm one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My issue with the reverb was fully inserted in my large blur it was still to long fully extended so I had to mess about and sit on it slightly pushing it down to get it at my right saddle height. Looking at those enduro things they adjust the bottom out and not the top out. I guess I could just run a 100mm reverb though.

I usually ride with a stem around 70-80 so thats normal. It will mostly be used for trails rather than big all mountain stuff. Its going to be used when my anthem is out of its depth, most places then LOL.

mtbr member
    I'd say Medium as well for someone your size.

mtbr member
    I am 5'9" and the Med is the size I prefer, and therefore ride. I like a smaller frame myself, though the Medium is by no means small. My single greatest complaint about this bike is that the stand over is taller than I wish and the Chain stays are a smidge too long. I'm not sure why people consider the HD to be any smaller than other AM bikes. The Top Tube on a medium is 23.1 which is longer than an:

SC Nomad (22.8)
    Blur LT (22.5)
    Tracer 2 (23)

They are also taller than most, stand over for the HD is 29.8

SC Nomad (28.8)
    SC Blur LT (28.7)
    Tracer 2 is undefined on their website.

Are there some giant bikes out there that I am not taking into consideration? I just picked these three comparison bikes off of the top of my head, but they seem representative of what is out there. I'm just one guy talking here, but I think a bike that is even remotely too big is a huge bummer. Remember trying to ride your Dad's Schwinn Varsity around when you were a kid?

Bottom line. My answer to your question is, Medium. The bike size you want is a Medium if you buy an HD. They are most excellent bikes.

aka dan51
    Get a medium.
    I'm 6'1" and was on an XL for over a year and thought it was great. Then I switched to a L and have been way happier. Words cannot express how much better the bike is for me. It handles so much better and the loss of stability is far outweighed by the increased handling.
    Plus with the smaller frame I can run the KS6" dropper post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    Get a medium.
    I'm 6'1" and was on an XL for over a year and thought it was great. Then I switched to a L and have been way happier. Words cannot express how much better the bike is for me. It handles so much better and the loss of stability is far outweighed by the increased handling.
    Plus with the smaller frame I can run the KS6" dropper post.
    I'm 6'2" and run a XL with a 70mm stem. If I ran it any shorter (or a size smaller) my knees would hit the handlebars and my back would hurt even more than it does now. I don't know how you do it.