mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Mojo hd- road bike?

I want to start training for some enduros and I'm looking for the endurance road bike training gives you. Has any one swapped the tires or made any changes to the bike that make it more "road" friendly? Btw, I can't afford a road bike that's why I'm asking 😥

More Torque
    Can't say that I've done that to the Mojo, but I have made the change to other mountain bikes before. Putting a set of slicks on there will make it feel much more efficient. This would be a good use for a spare wheel set, so you can swap back and forth easily. A longer stem will likely help as well, since you hopefully won't be doing any 3' drops while on the road. Do what you can to minimize suspension movement. Increase damping, increase spring pressure, etc.

-D

mtbr member
    Just ride your bike as it is. It will be more of a workout, but also make you stronger. What you are trying to do with road riding is get more stable HR/efforts over longer periods of time. You can achieve this with any tires on your bike. Changing the tires will allow you to get more distance in the same amount of time, but it will not change the effectiveness of your workout.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Did you get any feedback on the comfort compared to a road bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    These have good reviews and work great on my SL-R for commuting with a flipped stem

Forté Metro-K Road and Mountain Tires - City Bike Tires

but I can't compare to a real road frame feel. They are on old Tioga Factory DH rims (guessing 25 mm wide?) and at 70 PSI the sidewall width is approx. even with the rim walls. It is very comfortable long distance (>50 mi), the biggest drawback is probably lower top-end gearing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That's ok if you don't mined killing your knobbies on the road.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_rider View Post
    These have good reviews and work great on my SL-R for commuting with a flipped stem

Forté Metro-K Road and Mountain Tires - City Bike Tires

but I can't compare to a real road frame feel. They are on old Tioga Factory DH rims (guessing 25 mm wide?) and at 70 PSI the sidewall width is approx. even with the rim walls. It is very comfortable long distance (>50 mi), the biggest drawback is probably lower top-end gearing.
    Great recommendation. The quality of the Performance tires is fine, and as MTBMILES mentioned, it's way better than burning through an $80 Schwalbe. Not to mention that riding on the road with a slick tire is so much more enjoyable than grinding away on a set of heavy, buzzy tires.

-D

mtbr member
    Slicks work fine, but depending on your drivetrain setup, you will likely run out of gears quickly on the road, which will nullify some of the training benefits to riding the road. Before spending $ on new tires, etc. I would take a look at road bikes on craigslist. Used aluminum road bikes are super inexpensive nowadays with everyone flocking to CF. Make a lowball offer on one that has been on CL for a few weeks and you'll be much happier in the long run.