Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

MOJO HD retrofit swingarm coming!!!

Hans posted this in the "new ibis" thread on page 11, this DEFINITELY needs it's own thread...

Retrofit to HD
    The HDR swing arm does not directly retrofit on to the HD.
    Yet.
    In addition to adding a bunch more tire clearance, we offset the link attachment points to get more clearance for FD and ISCG. We are planning on making some retrofit swing arms for people would want to put them on HDs. It will be several months away before we can do it, maybe around the end of the year, but we're planning on it. It is a 2mm shift in the suspension pivot tubes, so we can make a special run of swing arms for retrofit. Then you'd have more tire and chain clearance. Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    I'm assuming this swingarm means 11 speed compatible and much better tire clearance for 650's .. I want one now!! haha.. honestly though.. this is why I own an ibis, and why I'm thinking of buying another (ripley)!! I guess it'll come down to price for the updated swingarms for me.. significantly cheaper than new HDR frame? hopefully.. I can't wait!
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    I can see many more years and miles on my HD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ibis quite simply RULE!

mtbr member
    Yeah!!
    Thats great news. I'm in on that! Thanks Guys!

mtbr member
    I'm surprised at all the excitement over the rear triangle retrofit. Until today, I never heard much complaining from people riding converted HDs about rear triangle clearance. More clearance is always better, but I thought most folks were getting by just fine on 2.25 snakeskin Hans Dampfs and similar options.

I don't know how much the new triangles will cost, but I doubt they'll be cheap enough to be worth it to me anytime soon. I'm much more eager to trade my 26" fork than I am to trade my rear triangle, because the front is where I miss having a big tire.

Am I the only one?

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    Am I the only one?
    The moment you get a fork with ample clearance for large 650b tires, you will begin to lust for larger tires in the rear as well. I experienced this, I switched from Lyrik to Vengeance and all the new meaty tires are now mighty tempting. Hans Dampf 2.25 Snake Skin is about the largest tire that fits in the HD safely but I have already had bad experience with it when it ruptured in one of the seams. I have had bad experience with Schwalbe tires lately and there is little there available from other manufacturers that I like and that would work in the HD. Even larger 2.25s like the Ardent, Grip'r (my experience) or Wolverine are pretty much a no-no, a week on the 2.25 Grip'r on wet and sandy trails caused serious mayhem to my swing arm (my bad). The HD is a superb AM machine so not being able to run true AM tires is, well, sucky. After my failed Grip'r experiment, I am switching back to Neo Moto 2.3.

mtbr member
    I guess that's the biggest thing for me. Want to still be able to run a 2.4 tire through mud an not have to destroy my swing arm. It will definitely come down to price... I mean, if it's 1000 for a new rear triangle.. I"ll say screw it, not worth it. At that point you could just sell the HD frame an put the money towards a new HDR if your really that bent on goin 650b. For me, I'm looking at building up a ripley for xc, so, if the new swingarm is on the ridongculous side price wise, I'll just keep the HD as my AM/FR rig in 26"... But I'm staying positive that Ibis will offer the new swingarm to existing HD owners at a somewhat reasonable pricepoint...
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    The moment you get a fork with ample clearance for large 650b tires, you will begin to lust for larger tires in the rear as well. I experienced this, I switched from Lyrik to Vengeance and all the new meaty tires are now mighty tempting.
    Well, you might be right. We'll see how much it costs and what 2.35 tires it can clear.

Hans Dampf 2.25 Snake Skin is about the largest tire that fits in the HD safely but I have already had bad experience with it when it ruptured in one of the seams.
    My 2.25 HD has been solid so far. I burped a RaRa in the rocks at a super D, that's the closest thing to a gripe I've got with Schwalbe this season.

mtbr member
    A new rear triangle for the tranny is $350.

Anybody fit a 650b 2.35 Hans Dampf or NN on a Fox 34 160?

mtbr member
    Hans Dampf 2.25 Snake Skin is about the largest tire that fits in the HD safely but I have already had bad experience with it when it ruptured in one of the seams. I have had bad experience with Schwalbe tires lately and there is little there available from other manufacturers that I like and that would work in the HD. Even larger 2.25s like the Ardent, Grip'r (my experience) or Wolverine are pretty much a no-no, a week on the 2.25 Grip'r on wet and sandy trails caused serious mayhem to my swing arm (my bad). The HD is a superb AM machine so not being able to run true AM tires is, well, sucky. After my failed Grip'r experiment, I am switching back to Neo Moto 2.3.
    I originally built my HD with a 2.25 Ardent in the rear and ran it for an entire season (over 500 miles) with no problems. I have also run a 2.3 purgatory, 2.3 conti, and other 2.3s without a problem. I ride all sorts of conditions & weigh about 155, & like to ride the rear shock fairly plush. Are there other factors that limit the clearance? Is it possible there is an issue that is limiting your clearance?

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    I originally built my HD with a 2.25 Ardent in the rear and ran it for an entire season (over 500 miles) with no problems. I have also run a 2.3 purgatory, 2.3 conti, and other 2.3s without a problem. I ride all sorts of conditions & weigh about 155, & like to ride the rear shock fairly plush. Are there other factors that limit the clearance? Is it possible there is an issue that is limiting your clearance?
    Are we talking about 650b tires? Ardent 2.25 has been out for a few months only now, Spesh or Conti 650b tires either do not exist or are very fresh.

mtbr member
    Are we talking about 650b tires? Ardent 2.25 has been out for a few months only now, Spesh or Conti 650b tires either do not exist or are very fresh.
    Sorry - I'm an idiot! - that's what I get for just browsing a thread instead of reading it thoroughly - I was originally browsing the thread to learn about the potential for compatibility of the new swingarm with 1x11 so wasn't even thinking 27.5", then when I came across those statements I was thinking "mine works fine with plenty of clearance, why are others having these issues?" , but now it makes sense - I'm running 26" - scratch it from the record!

Dissolved member
    Heheh no worries, we kind took the Ibis forum by storm in the past two days. Happy days indeed!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    I'm assuming this swingarm means 11 speed compatible and much better tire clearance for 650's .. I want one now!! haha.. honestly though.. this is why I own an ibis, and why I'm thinking of buying another (ripley)!! I guess it'll come down to price for the updated swingarms for me.. significantly cheaper than new HDR frame? hopefully.. I can't wait!
    I wish Hans of Ibis can produce the retrofit swing arm much earlier, hundreds of hd owners are very much eager to try 27.5 wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeze6700 View Post
    A new rear triangle for the tranny is $350.

Anybody fit a 650b 2.35 Hans Dampf or NN on a Fox 34 160?
    Keen to hear about the 34 clearence also...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm tempted for this new retrofit triangle too. But the idea of saving 0.3-0.4 lbs is nice too. Dang. And i JUST put on new $60 meats on the HD too.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mountain biker
    Is the new swingarm also 26" compatible? or only 650b? I'm curious about 650b, but not enough to buy a new fork, a new shock, new rims and tires. I wouldn't mind the added clearance for my current 26" tires though.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    Is the new swingarm also 26" compatible? or only 650b? I'm curious about 650b, but not enough to buy a new fork, a new shock, new rims and tires. I wouldn't mind the added clearance for my current 26" tires though.
    The new swing arm will offer exactly the same geometry as the current one so it will work with 26" wheels just fine. Thanks to a slightly different design, it will be a little lighter with more space for 650b (and large 26") tires.

Grams Light Bikes
    The Ardent 2.25 650B fix just fine in the back of the HD, and have plenty of room especially when compared to the really fat tires, though on hucks or big G-Outs when the rear shock pressure is low, the tire will hit the seat tube. Big tires like the NN 2.35 and Vee Rubber Trail Taker fit poorly (usually need to be deflated to install), and can cause issues if they pick up mud, etc., and you'll quickly scrape away paint and a small layer of carbon fiber. Big tires rule, especially if you like to ride AM, and it's tough to go back to medium size ones. There isn't any issue with any 650B tires fitting in the fork if you are using a 650B fork

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Spike w Tom at ibis today: they are way too busy with getting the hdrs out to be worried about the retrofit. The only real reason for the upgrade is tire clearance as the 650 still needs to be in 140 mode just as it is in the HDR. Then he explained to me a scary thing that happens when you play with a shorter shock and it causes the suspension pivot to move over the top (12 o'clock) backwards causing catastrophic failure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deofour View Post
    Spike w Tom at ibis today: they are way too busy with getting the hdrs out to be worried about the retrofit. The only real reason for the upgrade is tire clearance as the 650 still needs to be in 140 mode just as it is in the HDR. Then he explained to me a scary thing that happens when you play with a shorter shock and it causes the suspension pivot to move over the top (12 o'clock) backwards causing catastrophic failure.
    Yeah, I neved liked the idea of retrofitting parts that weren't made for the intended purpose in the first place. Too many things that can go wrong. I'm really disappointed that Ibis didn't do the 650b AM HD/HDR frame right; from the ground up. A totally redesigned 650-specific frame would be a huge success from an already successful legend - the HD.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Ibis mojo hd retrofit swing arm

Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    Yeah, I neved liked the idea of retrofitting parts that weren't made for the intended purpose in the first place. Too many things that can go wrong. I'm really disappointed that Ibis didn't do the 650b AM HD/HDR frame right; from the ground up. A totally redesigned 650-specific frame would be a huge success from an already successful legend - the HD.
    As an ibis mojo hd owner I agree that hd was a legend, but I am still hopeful ibis Scot and Hans will come out with better conversion to 650b effectively at less cost as possible. We don't want to sacrifice our bikes of self conversion that will damage flawless ness of hd. Let's be patient.

mtbr member
    Any update on this or has it been shelved?

mtbr member
    I think I'll wait for a true 650b Ibis to be honest. HDR isn't in my opinion.

I'll rock my HD for a few years when it all settles down.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast