Page 76 of 94 FirstFirst ... 26 66 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 86 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 2345
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

it looks even better than your earlier post, i like the fatbar and renthal stem, are they a good colour match for the bos stanchions? i've got some easton carbon bars but like the bars match fork look

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stejekyll View Post
    it looks even better than your earlier post, i like the fatbar and renthal stem, are they a good colour match for the bos stanchions? i've got some easton carbon bars but like the bars match fork look
    I don't think it match very well with the fork , but it's very rigid, strong but not heavy. I had a Eston Haven Carbon 2 years ago, and after one season it look like a chewing gum and make some noise. now I want something strong.

mtbr member
    The new whip is finally finished! I took her up to Solstice in Fairfax for her maiden voyage.
    The bottom line: This thing freaking rips uphill and downhill!!! I couldn't be happier!

Frame: Ibis Mojo HD 160 with Kashima Fox Float CTD
    Fork: Kashima Fox Talas 36 RC2 180-140
    Wheels: Mavic Crossmax ST
    Tires: WTB Bronson UST 2.3
    Cranks: Sram X9, 2x10, 26/39
    Guide/Bash: MRP 2X
    Front derailleur: Sram X0
    Rear Derailleur: Sram X9
    Triggers: Sram X0
    Brakes: Hope Tech M4, 203 front/160 rear
    Bars: Chromag Fubar OSX
    Stem: Easton Havoc
    Grips: Odi Rufian
    Saddle: T.H.E. Icon
    Headset: King
    Pedals: Shimano XT
    Casette: Shimano XTR
    Chain: KMC

08 Master DH World champ'

Cool-blue Rhythm

Looks like you're totally sold to FOX

So what about this seatpost & ugly (my opinion) command ?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams ...
    05 DH French champ'
    08 DH World champ'
    10 DH Euro champ'

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Sram xx1

Hello Maverick,

Nice rig, I am going to order a sram xx1 group for my Ibis HD 160mm, but firts I would like to be sure about the size of the cranks GXP Q156 or Q168, and also if the frame needs a modification to install the group (Based on your experience)?

Thank you for your attention and time, waiting for your reply.

Regards,

Carlos Vélez

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    Here she is definitley worth the wait, thanx to my awesome LBS/ for getting her together for me today, wouldnt let me leave lol and also to our importer who was also awesome, cheers guys.

Frame: IBIS Mojo HD Large
    Colour & Mode: Vitamin P red links /140mm flip chips
    Headset: Chris King inset Red
    Fork: Fox 34 Float ctd Kashima set @ 150mm
    Shock: Fox Ctd Kashima
    Bar: Chromag OSX
    Stem: Chromag Ranger black 50mm
    Grips: Odi TLD
    Seatpost: RockShox Reverb dropper post
    Seat: SDG Duster green (temp one on at mo only blem till in stock)
    Shifters: Sram XX1 rear
    Cranks: Sram XX1 175mm carbon
    Chain ring: Sram XX1 34t
    Chain: Sram XX1 11spd
    Cassette: Sram XX1 9/42 t
    Rear D: Sram XX1
    Brakes: Avid Trail XO 180/180
    Wheels: Enve's /Chris King 15mm front 32h / rear DT 240s, 142x12
    XX1 XD driver hub shell
    Tires: Maxxis
    Front Maxxis Ardent 2.25, rear Maxxis Icon 2.2 exc/exo I run tubes, maxxis superlight 0.87mm Presta valves.
    Pedals: Crank Bros Mallet 3s

Also thanx to Hans for putting up with my pms
    but I do appreciate the replies gave me lots of confidence to hang in there and wait.

Mtb Guide
    Hi Carlos, cheers mate,
    Ive posted details here, hope this helps, Mavs XX1 setup
    Cheers Mav

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Andres Velez View Post
    Hello Maverick,

Nice rig, I am going to order a sram xx1 group for my Ibis HD 160mm, but firts I would like to be sure about the size of the cranks GXP Q156 or Q168, and also if the frame needs a modification to install the group (Based on your experience)?

Thank you for your attention and time, waiting for your reply.

Regards,

Carlos Vélez
    You can run either. I am running 156 without issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

SRAM XX1 on a MOJO HD

Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    You can run either. I am running 156 without issue.
    Hello Salespunk,

Thank you for your reply. Nice to hear that, today I am going to install the group, finally I ordered the Q156... do you have any advice for the installation, did you make any modification?

Regards,

Carlos Vélez

mtbr member
    No modification and it bolts right up. One spacer on each side of the BB and the chainline is perfect. Easiest group change I have ever done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Good job! Hi Guys!

Hi everyone,

My name is Dan, and I've been a lurker. At least on these forums. At least until today. This forum pumped me up for biking after about a 10 year hiatus. For that, I really thank all of you.

I came from a ... wait for it ... 1995 Crosstrac Sonoma - indigo in color because I wanted to know what indigo looked like - which I was super stoked for when I got it, but I went off to college and soon found other interests and, sometimes, time just gets away and you forget about some of the things that you love deep down. Anyway, the idea of mountain biking swirled back after catching up with great friend after a few beers at a brewery the fall before last. He bought a couple Stumpjumpers on eBay (yes, two) and I got re-hooked riding his extra (the 4" of Crosstrac suspension wasn't cutting it any more). It inspired me to demo a 29er SJ over a week in Santa Cruz, and after those sick trails, there was no turning back. My friend was really thoughtful about about the riding technology and, after having found a really cool and willing riding buddy, I became intrigued by this long forgotten anti-real-life diversion called "all-mountain riding/buying" and became a compulsive online bike builder, constantly playing around with the ultimate builds. Last winter, when my wife wasn't looking, I bought an Ibis Tranny frame on ebay, and kept buying parts until there were no more places to fill with carbon and titanium and alloy. A very satisfying experience that I recommend to anyone for any reason imaginable. I went with something that was solid and reliable and wouldn't need to be taken to the shop as often as my friend's two Stumpy's. Let me say, that bike, over-built the right way, is pure fun! Plus, it's orangish.

Well, sometimes you just can't enough. Last summer, I demo'ed an SL and an HD to see what y'all were talking about, and had a blast on both - although I will say, my "woohoo's!" on the HD echoed much louder. Those rides confirmed what all of you have been saying about the climbing ability and descending prowess yada yada - the only twist is that, up here in the Northeast, we have annoying rocks and roots that I think might require some 650b action. So that's what I went with. I debated about building it myself, like most of you have seemed to have done, versus going through a bike shop. I ended up picking Bikeco to handle my build for the simple reason that they seem to do suspension, the hardest part, like no one else. I had a great, month-and-a-half long dialogue over email, debating parts and specs and learned quite a bit. I feel good about this bike, but that's all on paper. This very moment, it is, according to UPS, waiting for me at the local distribution center, scheduled for delivery on Monday. This is turning into the longest weekend of all time. But soon enough, I will see whether this thing is as good as I've been dreaming it to be!

Some pics are on the Bikeco website and FB page. I'm hoping what comes out of the box looks as sick as what they've been telling me it will be. Will post pics and ride impressions as soon as I can, but just wanted to share my thanks for getting me back into the sport and my excitement in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Right on man welcome to the club. I'm in lower ct any time you want to ride let me know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Cuadro Ibis Mojo HD talla M 2013 (fox CTD)
    Horquilla Fox Float 160 RC2
    Llantas Notubes
    Mazas Hope
    Frenos Hope M4
    Transmision Sram XX1
    Taco MRP
    Neumas MAxxis High Roller II
    Tubo de asiento KS Lev
    Asiento Selle Italia
    Manubrio Enve DH
    Tee Renthal
    Puños odiMojo HD Picture & Build Thread-2.jpgMojo HD Picture & Build Thread-3.jpgMojo HD Picture & Build Thread-4.jpgMojo HD Picture & Build Thread-5.jpgMojo HD Picture & Build Thread-6.jpgMojo HD Picture & Build Thread-la-foto.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HD Picture & Build Thread-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by deofour View Post
    Right on man welcome to the club. I'm in lower ct any time you want to ride let me know.
    Thanks a lot deofour - will take you up on a ride for sure!
    Ibis Mojo HD 160mm / 650b conversion
    Ibis Tranny 140mm (yup)
    Crosstrac Sonoma

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Meet "Dark Horse"

My Ibis HD 160mm/650b conversion has finally arrived, and I am totally stoked to ride it! The only problem is the one to two feet of snow that are going to fall here in New England before the weekend. In the meantime, here are some pics of "Dark Horse" - named partially in honor of the all matte/black color scheme, with touches of gray, gold and red. I'll post more pics as soon as this bike escapes the dingy basement and sees daylight. For those who are or will be similarly snowbound and aiming to kill time until spring, here are the specs in excruciating detail with color commentary:

Frame: Ibis Mojo HD (160mm links; size large) (I went back and forth with the idea of an SL-R or Ripley, but after reading these forums and demo'ing the HD, there was no turning back; I would gradually get over any buyer's remorse arising from Ibis introducing a 650b frame by moving the parts from my Tranny onto this frame, and moving the parts on this bike to the true 650b frame, but based on that photo of the latest Ibis shipping boxes that someone posted on one of threads (which suggested the Ripley and the 29er Tranny are the only bikes in the immediate pipeline), I feel less nervous about a 650b showing up in the immediate future).
    Fork: X-Fusion Vengeance Coil (170mm, shimmed for 650b conversion by Bikeco; 20mm thru axle) (I haven't had much success setting air forks to my liking repeatedly, and really wanted to go with a highly tunable and adjustable coil fork).
    Shock: X-Fusion Vector Air (DW-link tuned by X-Fusion; shimmed for 650b conversion by Bikeco) (Bikeco doesn't do coil 650b conversions, so I opted for this coil-like feeling air shock, which they were able to tune for my specific weight, riding style and aspirations).
    Handle Bars: Easton Havoc 35 Carbon (cut down to about 800mm; surprisingly, I like the feel of these - they don't feel that wide with a short stem).
    Stem: Easton Havoc 35 (0 degree rise; 50mm) (the graphics are a little busy, but nothing a few scrapes won't handle).
    Grips: Ergon GA1-L Evo (I have the large versions of these on my Tranny and love 'em!).
    Saddle: Fizik Aliante Gamma XM (according to Fizik, I'm a "bull"; I have this on the Tranny too, and it is the most comfortable saddle for me).
    Seatpost: KS LEV (125mm) (I have a RS Reverb on the Tranny, but wanted to try something else (the least of the "other evils"?), at least until the Thomson comes along....).
    Crank: RaceFace SixC double (chainrings removed; 175mm) (I knew nothing about these before, but have been assured of their "trail muting" properties).
    Chainring: MRP Podium (32T) (I was wondering whether I should move down to 30T, given the larger wheel size, but decided to try to bulk up instead).
    Chain Guide: MRP Mini-G2 (seems like the only game in town on this frame).
    Pedals: Straightline AMPs (I have De Facto's on my other bike and like the feel and grippiness a lot, but was curious about trying a slightly different design from the same guys).
    Bottom Bracket: Chris King MTB (I went for reliability here; I was convinced out of using ceramic bearings on a mountain bike).
    Rear Shifter: Shimano XTR M986 Direct Mount Shadow Plus (I like XX's crisp shifting, but prefer the shift to engage as soon as the paddle is depressed, rather than when the paddle returns, and like that I can use a thumb or trigger on the up-shifts).
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR (awesome and surreal-ly quiet!).
    Cassette: Shimano XTR CS-M980 11T-36T (I was debating the benefits of going with XX1 drivetrain to get the 42T for climbs, but decided to go with tried and true).
    Chain: KMC X10-SL Ti Nitride/Gold (never tried it, but the Bikeco staff swore by it, and it looks subtly trick with the gold on the Ibis logo and the Saint brakes).
    Frame Protection: Ibis polycarbonate down tube protection; 3M Helocopter tape on the chainstay (they did this great, subtle application that covers just the parts that matter); and I have Frameskin that I am afraid to apply for fear of messing up the look of the frame.
    Brakes: Shimano Saint M820 (they weigh a little more than XTRs, and I couldn't resist the overbuild).
    Rotors: Shimano XTR/Saint/XT RT-86 (203mm overkill upfront; 180mm rear; unfortunately, the new, sweet-looking Saint RT-99 203mm rotors only comes in CenterLock for now).
    Rims: Stan's ZTR Arch EX 650b (with red decals removed to preserve the all-black scheme; surprisingly, Bikeco convinced me out of carbon rims).
    Front Hub: Chris King 20mm ISO (I wanted bombproof wheels).
    Rear Hub: Chris King Rear ISO (142mmx12mm) (same, but I would have thought the 'angry bee" sound would be louder; maybe I need to go faster).
    Spokes/Nipples: DT Swiss Competition 14/15 / DT Brass (nothing fancy, but I was convinced that these wheels would be incredibly strong).
    Tubeless: Stan's rim tape and mix (of course).
    Front Tire: Schwalbe Hans Dampf TrailStar TL-R (650b x 2.35) (I like the massive width of these tires on a 26er when it's at the right pressure; can't wait to compare the larger footprint of this tire).
    Rear Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic PaceStar TL-R (650b x 2.25) (I wanted something with great grip, but we are really limited on this frame; the shop said that, after a while, I might start leanings towards a faster rolling tire like the Racing Ralph for the rear).

Thanks again to the Ibis community for sharing such great, technical information and your personal experiences - this group (especially you, Derby!) has singlehandedly pushed the HD 650b movement forward, and I am really glad to have jumped on the band wagon!

I also wanted to commend and whole-heartedly recommend Kara and Nate at The Bike Company for working with me for months as we pulled together the perfect build for me, my real and aspirational riding styles and the trails I encounter here in New England. Not to sound like a commercial, but their knowledge about what really works was invaluable to me as I was cutting through the marketing hype, their capabilities around suspension choices and tuning are unmatched (I have heard of no other shops even talking about suspension on the same level), and the large amount of their real world testing and experience with 650b conversions made me feel comfortable about this build. I'm sure that time on the trails (instead of the cobblestones of Boston, where I have taken my only test rides so far) will confirm all of this.

I just hope that I learn to ride well enough not to embarrass this bike.

Mojo HD Picture & Build Thread-dark-horse-2.jpgMojo HD Picture & Build Thread-dark-horse-5.jpgMojo HD Picture & Build Thread-dark-horse-4.jpg

(I borrowed the last two of these pics of my bike from Bikeco's website)
    Ibis Tranny 140mm (yup)
    Crosstrac Sonoma

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Absolutely beautiful bike Dan. Hard to argue with any of your choices.

mtbr member
    Very nice Dan! Sounds like you had a knowledge shop to work with. Why did you choose the Arch rims as opposed to the flows? I'm going back and forth between the two, are the Arch's burly enough for the type of riding the HD is capable of?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nice bike Dan. I'm just not sure if I understand the combination of Saint brakes and ZTR Arch rims. I ride ZTR Flows on my HD and they are far from stiff (I'm ±85kg geared up).. They regularly need truing after a day at a bike park, too. Archs are 3.4mm narrower than ZTR, so I can't really imagine, how they will hold up.

Why have you decided for a long cage XTR with a 1x10 setup? Short cage Saint or Zee derailleur with XTR or Saint shifter would give you almost the same feel with much better clearance at a fraction of the cost.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesto View Post
    Why have you decided for a long cage XTR with a 1x10 setup? Short cage Saint or Zee derailleur with XTR or Saint shifter would give you almost the same feel with much better clearance at a fraction of the cost.
    FYI:
    Long cage vs. med cage on 2x10? Does it matter?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Dan has 1x10 setup, same as me. Both Zee and Saint are compatible with 36t cassettes.. (Shimano doesn't recommend 36t for Saint, but there are people reporting it's working fine). Here is a Pinkbike review of Zee with 1x10 36t cassette: Tested: Shimano Zee Rear Mech - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesto View Post
    Dan has 1x10 setup, same as me. Both Zee and Saint are compatible with 36t cassettes.. (Shimano doesn't recommend 36t for Saint, but there are people reporting it's working fine). Here is a Pinkbike review of Zee with 1x10 36t cassette: Tested: Shimano Zee Rear Mech - Pinkbike
    Gotcha - for 1x10 I didn't explore, but when I spoke with Ibis one of their staff suggested that the HD has enough chain growth that even with 1x10 they run long cage. Haven't tried it out on my ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There are some people running short cage on HD Ibis Mojo HD - bajaguy's Bike Check - Vital MTB

Anyway, it's a good idea to be careful with chain length then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the compliments, questions and second-guessing - that's what makes the building and the post-shopping dialogue fun!

Admittedly, the match-up of the Arch rims and Saint brakes looks screwy, and I know some of you are scratching your heads, but I assure you there was a method to the madness. I'm not a downhiller/park rider (though I do hope to hit Highland this summer to see what I am missing out on). I have XT brakes on my Tranny and absolutely love them, so I was debating between XTR Trail (my early favorite) and Saint. In the end, I chose Saint for a few reasons. (1) I may not need the double caliper stopping power of a downhiller, but my thought was that the excess power would afford more modulation. I had the chance today to take the bike out for its maiden voyage, and I can confirm that this extra modulation is not just a gain on paper - these brakes have such a precise feel to them, you can subtly adjust the pressure of your braking at various points of a trail section, and the bike responds instantly and as expected. This is the dreamy control I was hoping for! I really think all-mountain riders should give these a serious look. (2) The on-frame weight disadvantage of the Saints (maybe around 150g?) wasn't a big deal to me, if the first reason proved to be true (which it did). (3) And lastly, the "vanity reason" - the black/gold matched the rest of the build better.

In terms of the rims, I went back and forth between carbon, Flow's and Arch's. The shop discounted the reliability of carbon rims, which was really surprising to me - not sure if they had some bad experiences with the early Easton hubs or something with Enves, but they made it a big point to steer me away. (I may regret that choice, since I cashed in all my chips with the wife to get this bike, and doubt I'll get a chance to re-up anytime soon!) So the decision came down to Flow's vs. Arch's, and they got me comfortable that they could build an incredibly strong and light wheel with Arch's, CK and heavier DT Competition spokes. Maybe that's me being a little naive. I'm about 195 with gear and, though I haven't downhilled yet, I do like to ride through the occasional New England minefield. We will see how these hold up with the Hans Dampf up front and Nobby Nic in the rear (each currently at 25 lbs), but based on a number of responses, people seem to vehemently prefer the Flow's. I'll let you all know if I encounter any problems.

On the derailleur, I went with what I knew and loved - XTR, which I have on my Tranny. Saints crossed my mind, but I just wasn't sure. In terms of long-cage vs. short-cage, I didn't discuss that with the shop, they just went with the long-cage, maybe in part based on my 32T chainring up front. Looking at the build now, the part of the chain running under the chainstay comes awfully close to hitting the metal guard - maybe using a shorter cage would have caused the chain to rub against guard.

Dan
    Ibis Tranny 140mm (yup)
    Crosstrac Sonoma

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Ok here she is, all done and ready to rock.

Mojo HD Picture & Build Thread-photo_1%5B1%5D.jpg

Size:.........Medium black with blue linkage
    Fork:.........2013 Fox Float 36, 160mm
    Shock:......Fox RP23 (Stock)
    Wheelset:..Easton Havoc, grey/white/black
    Headset:....Chris King lower Cane Creek upper.
    Handlebar: Easton Havoc Carbon, will prob cut to about 710mm
    Stem:........Chromag Ranger 50mm, blue (to match linkage)
    Brakes:......XT with 160mm ice-tech rotors front and rear
    Grips:........ODI rogue lock on, black.
    Shifters:.....XT I-Spec 2x10
    Front Der:..XT direct mount 2x10
    Rear Der:...XTR Shadow M-986
    Crank:.......XT 2x10, black @175mm
    Cassette:...XT 11-36
    Chain:.......XTR dyna-sys 114 links
    Seatpost:...Rock Shox Reverb dropper
    Saddle:.....Chromag trailmaster DT, white to match fork.
    Tires:........Schwalbe Hans Dampf 26 x 2.35
    Pedals:.....XT trail with wide platform
    Last edited by Brady Boy 811; 02-09-2013 at 01:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Here mine. Just added the carbon haven's. 31.15 lbs as she sits.
    Large Mojo Frame w db air
    Fox 36 van rc2 160
    Haven Carbon wheels
    xo cranks
    xtr shadow plus rear
    xt shifters, front mech, and brakes w icetech 180 160
    raceface sixc bars and atlas stem
    lev post
    mountain king 2 protection 2.4 front, trail king 2.2 ust black chili rear

Last edited by jimarin; 02-09-2013 at 02:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Now that is a sweet ride!

Page 76 of 94 FirstFirst ... 26 66 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 86 ... LastLast