Page 70 of 94 FirstFirst ... 20 60 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 2341
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by deofour View Post
    The 40/28 xtr race is compatible, as per Set-Up Guide | Support | Ibis Cycles US. I chose the 3 ring because I use lower gearing quite a bit especially with the larger 650b wheels.
    Yeah, I saw that too...What I don't understand is why a 38/26 will not work? Isn't the only thing different are the number of teeth? The chain line will be the same no? I need at least a 26 (pref a 24) for AM climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Not sure but I was on the fence, the bike shop I bought my frame at kept needling me to run it single in the front but I went triple because you just never know. At the least I have a really expensive bash ring in the large ring. I can tell you as a function of the 10spd in combo with the 650bs I have used all three rings up front. I have never ever used the large ring on my 9spd/26. This past weekend I was riding in the white mountains of NH and I was never more glad to have the granny gear up front. The guy I was riding with had a single ring up front and it was the first time I've ever seen a bike set up with only the small ring. Should have taken it for the sign that I was in for 3 miles straight up the mountain..... ALMOST lost my breakfast on that one. Go for all three, I'm all about weight savings but not at the expense of performance.

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/mojo-hd-...ld-815365.html

mtbr member
    The reason the 38 might not work is because you will not be able to get the derailer low enough. Just a guess though.

mtbr member
    My freshly built Mojo HD:

Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti
    Fox RP23 Kashima
    Industry Nine AM wheelset
    Formula RXO brakes
    1x10 Shimano/Truvativ/E*13 drivetrain
    Unofficial Balfa Cycles website and forum
    Ibis Mojo HD / Giant Trance X / GT Karakoram

Mtb Guide
    IBIS Mojo HD 140mm flip chips and shock
    Vitamin P Green
    Headset: Chris King inset Red
    Fork: Fox 34 Float ctd Kashima
    Shock: Fox Ctd Kashima
    Bar: Chromag OSX ano lime green
    Stem: Chromag Ranger black 50mm
    Grips: Odi TLD
    Seatpost: Sram Reverb dropper post
    Seat: Chromag Moon DT black
    Shifters: Sram XX1 rear
    Cranks: Sram XX1 175mm carbon
    Chain ring: Sram XX1 34t
    Chain: Sram XX1 11spd
    Cassette: Sram XX1 9/42 t
    Rear D Sram XX1
    Avid Trail XO 180/180
    ENVE 32h Chris King Iso 142/15mm swapping out my rear King to a DT for the XX1 XD driver hub shell darn it CK.
    Frame ordered and confirmned by IBIS in stock, prepaid for in full eta end of this week 16/11/2012, confirmned 2 Fridays ago.

So just had a call from our importer to my LBS your frame in stock has disapeared only black now available, Vitamin P n Red Links sometime in December?

My impression of Ibis on this forum has been of top CS, I have pre paid first time ever in full to my LBS for this bike, so in shock at mo, I hope this is a mistake have been so excitied to get this bike as much from the great vibe here and feedback of the bike, I was so hoping to post a pic here this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The reason the 38 might not work is because you will not be able to get the derailer low enough. Just a guess though.
    I don't know why ibis says it's not compatible, in my case and also my buddy has a sram x0 FD, and we both have sram x0 2x10 with 22-36 chainrings and still there's space enough for the FD to go lower. With two spacers in the driveside and no spacers in the non drive side the chain line is perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by anrive View Post
    Thanks, its a Puerto Rico theme. The cool thing is I can change the colors when I get sick of this one as my buddy, who made this, saved the stencils on his computer.
    do you mind sharing the stencils?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    [QUOTE=bikeboardorblade;9819448]
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarshack View Post
    I made a few changes to mine...

Now:

-Carbon Hoops w/Chris King 27.5
    -2x9 w/BBG Bash
    -125 LEV
    -C-Guide (Already ripped off though)

What issues has the C-Guide been giving you? Also, what Carbon rims are you running? There's a chinese carbon rims thread I've been following. would those happen to be the ones?
    I just saw this post, sorry for the late reply.

the problem I had with my c-guide is that it fell off! I don't think it actually broke though, because my mount was still intact on the frame. What I think happened was the little screw that hold the guide together fell out. I did buy another one and now the directions state to put lock-tite on that little screw...I highly recommend doing this!

As for the hoops, yes they are the Light Bicycle rims. I was the first on here to get them and I have nothing but great things to say so far!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

HD Transformed

Here's what I've got....in the Philippines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HD Picture & Build Thread-my-hd.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks, cmarshack. For the price and the weight, the Light Bicycle rims are very tempting. Too tempting, almost. Also, thanks for the tip on the C-Guide, its amazing what a bit of lock-tite can do!

mtbr member
    Check the wheels and tire forum. There has been an uptick in failures the last few weeks and it looks as though the side walls are getting crushed by impacts. That is the difference between Easton/Enve and the Chinese versions.

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by johnperez View Post
    Here's what I've got....in the Philippines.
    I like that! All but that massive downtube protector actually.

What chrome style bar is that? Matches nice with the chromium Formula (?) brakes.

yep
    Can a decent Mojo HD build be done with $4000? Thats my budget for my first bike, and I still am learning about all the components so I'm trying to figure out if that would be enough. Any ideas? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you get a good deal you might get out for $4k. My son managed to do it with his SLX/Rockshox equipped HD. I got a recent quote for about 10%-15% higher than that for a SLX bike with a FOX 34, a LEV post and an upgrade on the wheels. (I ended up going for the XT bike for a bit more.) Seems like you are close - I recommend going for it, it is an awesome bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks.

The magnesium bar is an Easton Haven one. Yup it matches just right on the Formula RO brakes.

The downtube protector really comes in handy actually with rocks that go up flying. You can hear it like popcorn popping when it hits the frame. Would have been better if the protector that comes with the frame goes all the way up, rather than like 3/4's of the way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Can anyone tell me which version of the XTR front mech I need on a HD running a XTR triple chainset? Shimano do two, M981-D6 and M981-D6A which is for bikes with a chainstay angle between 66-68deg.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

What might you have done differently?

Well its taken me a long time to wade through this thread but I'm very happy to have done so (its also changed my mind on the colour I got - I wanted black but there was only white available at a disgustingly good price).

I've just got the bike home and am waiting to swap some parts over. I've started making a list of things to do but thought I'd ask everyone what they might have done differently from the beginning.

A bit of background info:

Bike:
    HD 160, XL with downtube guard
    RC4 shock, Kardashian coating, steel spring.
    Solo air Lyrics 170mm
    Stans ZTR rims (currently with tubes - these will be converted).
    Kenda Nevegals, 2.35.
    IBIS hubs
    X9, 9 speed rear
    33t front with MRP guide and taco
    Stylo OCT cranks
    Formula RX brakes 180 F, 160 R
    IBIS seat post
    WTB Bel Air saddle
    IBIS Handlebar and stem
    IBIS grips
    Current weight 13.9kg / 30.58lb

Me:
    6'4
    115 kg / 253lb
    The bike will be used for technical trails, general riding and some easy DH / FR - basically my do it all bike although I have a DH rig as well.

I will be swapping over the following from my current 2011 Trek Remedy:
    Carbon Easton Havoc bars and stem.
    KS Supernatural seatpost
    SDG Saddle (I Beam)
    ODI lock ons

I have a set of Saint brakes that I can swap with the Formulas. Having no experience with Formulas I am leaning to the Saints (run on the other 2 bikes). What are other people's experience with them? Does the stopping power compare?

I am considering buying the following:
    203 rotor for front (and move the 180 to the rear).
    Would such a rotor size with Formulas equal Saints with 180/160 F&R?

I also intend to apply a protective clear tape for cable rub or gravel rash areas - is there anywhere that you've found is vulnerable (you wish you'd protected it from day one)?

I'm also thinking that I should wrap an old tube around the chain stay to prevent chain slap. I figure that white electrical tape on top should look very subtle when finished.

Whereas i'm not the tiniest bloke and the bike is not intended to be the lightest out there, I do want to keep the weight sub 14.5kg / 32lb as this will be my general bike.

Ok, so with all of that in mind, what would you have done differently and what could you recommend to me?

Cheers

Matt
    (Sydney, Australia)

mtbr member
    I'd go Saints. My experience has been that the levers are incredibly hard to adjust, and the range you can adjust them is minimal. Also, Formula's scream like a banshee. They're no as powerful as the Saints, but likley powerful enough. As you're already having good experiences with the Saints (who hasn't?) I'd go that route.

I know the Stylo OCT is a light and stiff crankset, is it stiff enough for a person of your stature? This is my preference, but I can't stand the slightest amount of flex and I'm only 155 lbs. I haven't ridden the Stylo, maybe others can provide some more helpful input in this area.

mtbr member

HD suggestion

Matt

I used to run Formulas on my HD - my experience was that they are good brakes, but are very noisy and I found the levers to be awkward.

I switched out to Shimano XTs - noticed improvement in every aspect of the brakes (noise, ergonomics, feel) - I have not used Saints but I would have to imagine they are amazing

The only other change I would consider down the line after you wear out the cassette would be to get rid of the X9 and pick up a Shadow XTR+ rear deral. - far superior in my opinion and worth every penny - even though you will have to change out the shift levers; also, I like the newest Reverb better than the KS, but it looks like you already have that post; and I'm not a huge fan of the Nevegals because of the rolling resistance when climbing

Otherwise I like all the changes you are making and that bike will be a beast! Have fun!

Mtb Guide
    If your X9 is a type 2 then don't waste your money going to Shimano just installed type 2 on my buddies bike and its better than the clutch type XTRs Ive tried, Im not a Shimano fan, even though I talked the same guy into new XT cranks, the cranks are good can't argue they're SLX my fav on that front.

X9 t2 has cage lock so simple, works great such a great idea wonder no one has not done this before, less parts why would you want to switch the clutch on or off don't get that either.

Still Sram Shimano seems a personal thing, I get my way as I maintain my mates bikes and I save them money improve ride experience enjoy the new system more positive and lest against more fun riding so no brainer they just do it haha.
    Personally I think the new X9, type 2 or last gen were stunning, better looking than XX and XO.

I don't run Shimano cranks myself, diehard Raceface or now Sram XX1 prev XO crank runner but I usually advise buds who are not so mechcanically minded to run XT or SLX on cranks, but Sram drive trains, all about relibility and ease of service same reason I get them.

Also advise to them to go Avid brakes, maybe not be the best of the best but theyre simple to bleed setup easy to get parts low cost maintain and integrate nicely with shifters brakes dropper post clamps especially the Reverb and I hate cluttered bar setups even on my mates bikes drives me crazy.

Saints seem overkill to me but its a personal thing so I'd go with what works for you.
    Options though if set on Shimano new gen XTs, even SLXs or Zees with A 203 rotor front/180 rear should be heaps on an HD, DH bike Saints for sure, then even Saints hit my radar, I will be running Avid XO trails and just running 180 fr n rear, instead of a 203/180 my usual setup, so powerful.

shocks Id maybe have looked at XFusion, nothing but great feedback I can see from HD owners who have tried XFusion.
    X Fusion Shox - HLR
    For a lighter setup but still able to support your ride size, HD is optimised for air shocks, better match to your Lyrik, I will myself be looking to run XFusion in both fork and shocks next year.

Vengence for 160 mode/ Vector air
    Slant 34 for 140 mode / microlite

Cockpit short wide sweet, not so sure on Ibis stem bar seem bit narrow and stems seem long to me.
    Chromag, cockpit done for life.

Jmt on yr setup options.

mtbr member
    I ran The Ones for a long time and switched to XTR recently. Awesome change, same power with much more modulation and lower maintenance.

For the chain protector I run an old tube wrapped in hockey grip tape. Works awesome.

I would also definitely swap the tires. There much better options available.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I also recently switched out the Formulas after 5 months of constant tweaking, adjusting and general frustration. They feel good when you get them adjusted just right but that lasts for about 5 minutes and then the pads start rubbing, the squeal, etc. their fundamental flaw (which formula has acknowledged and says they've fixed for 2013) is lack of pad clearance. The formula breaks were honestly the only disappointing component(s) from the stock XT build.

I swapped them out for a set of XT's and they're perfect! If you have Saints, go with them. Shimano is leading the break technology in my opinion right now.

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    I feel I need to say that I run Formula The One for about 2 years now without any issue. Amazing power, no noise, no need to bleed.
    But I also don't like the lever very much, I'd like to have it closer to the grip than possible. I used 2012 XTs on various test bikes and found the levers ergonomically perfect, slimmer and closer (with me having glove size 10).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the responses guys. The bike is slowly coming together now. I'm awaiting a few parts to get everything dialed in.

However a quick question.

I need to somehow disconnect the rear triangle so that I can remove the old brakes and install the Saints. Is there a best method to use? It looks as if I need to disconnect the shock and the rear triangle from the upper link or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for all of your help.

Page 70 of 94 FirstFirst ... 20 60 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 80 ... LastLast