Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by c-wal
    That's awesome! Is that the XL that was at Trailhead for a while?
    yup, I finally broke down. I can't believe it sat on the wall for 2 months!

mtbr member
    I called today about the demo next Tuesday and found out that it was gone. It was there for so long I felt comforted knowing that one so was close, and I knew that I did not have to play the waiting game if I decided to get off the pot and pull the trigger.
    However, today when I heard that they didn't have anymore HDs in stock I was saddened for a moment -- it was like loosing a booty call...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    yup, I finally broke down. I can't believe it sat on the wall for 2 months!
    It wasn't sitting there on the wall the whole time.. a couple of us built it up, rode it around everywhere, then cleaned it up and put it back. Hope Dan doesn't notice where I spilled some gu on the top tube..

Noice bike btw!

mtbr member
    EDIT: Going for the XT 3x10. One thing would like to know though: are those forks we are seeing on the HDs with the new decals, are those 2010s or 2011s? I read at the website all models are shipping with 2010 shocks and forks, so I wonder if Fox only gave a new look for their remaining 2010 models, since they don't sport the new Kashima coat. What's the deal? When the new 2011 models come in, will they come with the Kashima coat?
    Last edited by Black RONIN; 07-02-2010 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    A brief yet nice review of the HD @ Feed The Habit. Vid log included.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    When the new 2011 models come in, will they come with the Kashima coat?
    Ibis build kits come with 2011 forks, NON KASHIMA coating. Have a look at mine and that is what it will look like, 2011 but non kashima.

mtbr member
    I read somewhere that the OEM forks don't have Kashima coating, only the aftermarket ones, if you opt to spend the extra money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow
    Ibis build kits come with 2011 forks, NON KASHIMA coating. Have a look at mine and that is what it will look like, 2011 but non kashima.
    Yeah, I thought so, but I was confused by the note at the HD build kits page. Thanks!

And any word on how much better (if any) are the forks with the famed Kashima coat? Is there any noticeable difference or does it just looks cool?
    Last edited by Black RONIN; 07-03-2010 at 05:47 PM.

mtbr member
    I believe that the forks from Ibis are made to their specific specs.
    For example the Talas 36 from Fox is 120mm-160mm travel while the fork from Ibis with their kits comes with 130mm-160mm travel, without the Kashima coating.

mtbr member
    I'm almost considering buying a frame only and spec the bike myself. I wasn't aware of all this OEM characteristics of the fork. Can't really complain about the other parts spec though. The Formulas are nonetheless the best part of it. The 3x10 XT is also very nice. Only wish they had the option to upgrade to CK or Hope hubs, but that's minor.

But are the OEM forks that much different in performance compared with the ones with Kashima coating?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Ronin- thats the route I chose. That way I get to spec every part myself and can only blame myself if it isn't exactly what I wanted. Got my forks the other day, kashima coating and all. Frame is due in about 2 weeks! Cant wait. Have been researching parts for the last 3 months solid. Seems like I am getting pretty good deals on everything too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If I was in the States like I'm thinking most of you are, I would have probably gone with specing the bike myself as for you guys, I don't think it would be that much more expensive to go this way.

In Canada however, there was a significant difference with going with the Ibis build kit. It was also a lot cheaper for my LBS to get the parts through Ibis than dealing with the Canuck distributors on perspective parts, but of course stuck with choices. For example the Fox distributor in Canada charges (I really don't know but speculating) ~30% more than in the US, but going through Ibis to get the fork are only getting charged Ibis' American rate. Definitely would have preferred to spec it myself but was on a budget, and as is went above and beyond the primary number I was shooting for. I speculated correctly too that Ibis would have been one of the first to get the '11 Fox and Shimano since both companies used the HD to showcase the new products at Sea Otter. I didn't NEED the DynaSys but for same purchase price figured resale would have been much better.

As far as what I have received on the Ibis XT build kit:
    '11 XT DynaSys
    '11 Fox Talas - 160/120 adjust, non kashima
    Elixer CRs and not Formula "The Ones FR" - best to talk to your shop or Ibis about whats going on with the brakes but apparently they are still waiting on receiving the Formula shipments and in the meantime supplying CRs. I have no idea for how long.

My thoughts on the Non-Kashima Talas:
    - Very smooth, really if there is stiction then is very minimal. Probably most of this due to supposed much simpler internals because of 2-step instead of 3, no idea how much better Kashima is but could not imagine much improvement. Gold does look very cool though.
    - Take this with a grain of salt as I am no suspension/fork expert due to a VERY LONG biking lay-off.
    Last edited by robnow; 07-03-2010 at 11:54 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I got my Mojo HD. It is such a beautiful frame.
    Last edited by Fadl; 07-06-2010 at 02:48 PM.

the refurbished one
    was soll er denn kosten?
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

The Crow
    My frame is on its way. One of two frames making their way to South Africa at the moment. Going frame only with custom parts. Nothing much has changed in my build since I placed my order and by now all the parts have arrived except for the CK headset that's on its way. So if all goes well my bike will be up and running by the end of the month. Shop, agent and Hans said Jun/Jul and Jul it will be!
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadl
    I got my Mojo HD. It is such a beautiful frame. I tried so hard to get my hands on one and finally I got it. But at the same time I received an order I made weeks ago which was dated on early september. But a customer got off the line and I got the frame. So I have 2 brandnew Mojo HD laying around here at the moment. Vitamin P color, size L as seen on the picture.

If someone (I am from europe) is interested in one frame I will sell it.

Hi what sort of price would you be looking for and where in Europe are you.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Last edited by Fadl; 07-06-2010 at 02:48 PM.

mtbr member
    C'mon, stop posting these pics! It's the second time I ask to put a hold on my order because of the color! Boy, this flashy yellow Vit P is stunning! Fadl, is it more towards to yellow as seen in the pic (guess you used a flash to take the pic, what have brought the bright yellow to life?) or does it have a bit of green? Nonetheless, this is absolutely stunning. Oh boy...

BTW, you got the fork from Ibis or from your LBS (or from a Fox dealer actually)?

aka dan51
    C'mon, stop posting these pics! It's the second time I ask to put a hold on my order because of the color! Boy, this flashy yellow Vit P is stunning! Fadl, is it more towards to yellow as seen in the pic (guess you used a flash to take the pic, what have brought the bright yellow to life?) or does it have a bit of green? Nonetheless, this is absolutely stunning. Oh boy...

BTW, you got the fork from Ibis or from your LBS (or from a Fox dealer actually)?
    I have yet to see a picture that comes close to accurately representing the Vit-p. I don't think cameras or monitors can properly capture/process the color.
    Mine looks more green in the shade, and more yellow in the sun.
    The only way to truly see the color is in person.
    It's a pretty electric looking color. I think it looks best in direct sunlight.
    Fadl's pics make it look quite yellow, which it is not.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It is really hard to display the correct color of the vitamin p.
    Maybe this one is a bit closer

I will complete my build this week or on the weekend. I am just waiting for my shimano 1x10 and don't know yet which brakes I should put on. I have a few Hope V2 laying around but those are really heavy. Thinking about some Formula The One or R1 or maybe Elixir CR Mag with 200mm in front and 180/185mm discs on the rear wheel.

mtbr member

I will complete my build this week or on the weekend. I am just waiting for my shimano 1x10 and don't know yet which brakes I should put on. I have a few Hope V2 laying around but those are really heavy. Thinking about some Formula The One or R1 or maybe Elixir CR Mag with 200mm in front and 180/185mm discs on the rear wheel.
    "spank spank spank spank"

mtbr member

Let me try and clear this up regarding the Fork selection, travel and Kashima coating.
    I will put up a separate post for those who are not interested in this thread.
    I visited the Ibis warehouse in Santa Cruz, CA a few days ago and got a mini tour of the place.
    Lots of HD and Mojo frames hung up getting ready to be shipped out.
    I also saw boxes full of Fox Talas and other Forks, and none of them have the Kashima coating.
    The way it works is when you place an order for either a Mojo or HD with an Ibis build kit, and you are ordering a Fox fork, it will not come with the Kashima coating from Ibis.
    You can ask your local bike shop to delete the Fork from the kit and then add on a Fox fork with the Kashima coating which I assume would come from Fox directly.
    I asked the bike shop I am dealing with what the difference would be, and was told around $500, which I thought was definitely not worth it.
    If you order a Fox Talas 32 fork with an Ibis build kit, it will come with 2-position travel adjustability set at 130 and 150mm, which is unique to Ibis.
    The Talas 32 from Fox comes with a 2-position TALAS system that instantly changes travel between 150-120 mm, or 140-110 mm.
    If you order a Fox Talas 36 Fork with a build kit, it will come with the same travel settings as from Fox, 2-position travel adjustability set at 120 and 160 mm.
    Once again, Fox forks in an Ibis build kit do not come with the Kashima coating.
    Hope this clears everything up.

mtbr member
    150/130 sounds perfect for the standard Mojo, if one were to want a Talas fork.

mtbr member
    Thanks Maverick. I can't ask my LBS to exchange the fork for me, since, in Brazil, Ibis and Fox importers are non-related, even for warranty issues - just don't ask me why. Anyway, knowing the difference between the Kashima and non-Kashima is as much as $500, I also don't see the point in get it instead of the fork that comes with the Ibis kit, I'd rather upgrade the wheelset or something else instead. But I was hoping Ibis was starting sending the Kashima forks, since some here have it on their HDs and others not. But thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Matte Clear HD

The build begins!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HD Picture & Build Thread-img_0413.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Holding
    The build begins!
    OMG you guys are killing me over here!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Thats coming along nicely, that pic definately captures the color more accurately. When I opened the box mine arrived in I had to take a deep breath and pray the color was what I had hoped it was.

I can assure you guys that the vitamin p is one of the loudest colors i've ever seen, i was sweating it for sure after seeing some of the pics around that make the bike look a 'not good' yellow shade

Heres a pic i snapped of mine which to me is extremely similar:

Fadl she's in good hands bro!

Well Biked
    Thanks Maverick. I can't ask my LBS to exchange the fork for me, since, in Brazil, Ibis and Fox importers are non-related, even for warranty issues - just don't ask me why. Anyway, knowing the difference between the Kashima and non-Kashima is as much as $500, I also don't see the point in get it instead of the fork that comes with the Ibis kit, I'd rather upgrade the wheelset or something else instead. But I was hoping Ibis was starting sending the Kashima forks, since some here have it on their HDs and others not. But thanks again.
    I can't see how that coating can be such a big deal. It certainly can't counter the negative affect of changing the damper to a lock out without high speed damping adjustment. IMO they are just making room for the 180mm forks.

mtbr member
    I only see it as a big deal if the regular forks perform poorly compared to the Kashima coated forks - what wouldn't be such a surprise, since Fox will prefer to sell their top end tinted forks instead. I'm looking for more reviews, and if that's the case, I check for a Lyrik 2-step instead.

For now, this the only mention on how the fork performs comes from Bike Radar's review of the HD:

We wish we could heap similar praise on the Fox 36 Float FIT RLC fork but alas, it just wasn't to be. Though wonderfully stiff and precise, this one felt persistently notchier than older open-bath variants we've faithfully used in the past, even well after the recommended break-in period and despite repeated attempts at tuning and oil bath servicing.

Hopefully the latest low-friction Kashima Coat stanchions will help (ours was a preproduction sample that came without), but we'd recommend the adjustable-travel TALAS model instead to better take advantage of the Mojo HD's climbing prowess.

EDIT: RockShox seems to be testing low friction coating on their forks too, so hopefully it won't be optional (at a higher cost) and will be available as default (at least for the top forks) on the 2011 lineup.

Last edited by Black RONIN; 07-12-2010 at 06:51 PM.

mtbr member
    The build begins!
    Hey Kenny, YOU SUCK
    My matte clear is supposedly shipping on the 20th. You're killing me
    Can't wait looks saweeeeet!

mtbr member
    Fadl didn't you just tell us a Chris King headset wouldn't work????

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Graet to see Kenny what steed are you currently riding is it still the specialized enduro?
    Great looking frame will be interested to here about your impressions when you finally get to ride the beast.
    What are your build specs going to be?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GbrNole
    Fadl she's in good hands bro!

Nice to see yours too. I am very interesting in final pictures from your rig. I am sure it is in best hands

Quote Originally Posted by Ineedmorecowbell
    Fadl didn't you just tell us a Chris King headset wouldn't work????
    Yes, I just got the lower King cup. The upper is from CaneCreek right now.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    We wish we could heap similar praise on the Fox 36 Float FIT RLC fork but alas, it just wasn't to be. Though wonderfully stiff and precise, this one felt persistently notchier than older open-bath variants we've faithfully used in the past, even well after the recommended break-in period and despite repeated attempts at tuning and oil bath servicing.

Hopefully the latest low-friction Kashima Coat stanchions will help (ours was a preproduction sample that came without), but we'd recommend the adjustable-travel TALAS model instead to better take advantage of the Mojo HD's climbing prowess.
    That's why I got a Van instead of a Talas. Talas always had been bad in the past. I don'T know yet for 2011 but I wanted to be sure to have a great performing fork. And it is only a few gr. heavier.
    Last edited by Fadl; 07-12-2010 at 08:55 PM.

aka dan51
    I only see it as a big deal if the regular forks perform poorly compared to the Kashima coated forks - what wouldn't be such a surprise, since Fox will prefer to sell their top end tinted forks instead. I'm looking for more reviews, and if that's the case, I check for a Lyrik 2-step instead.
    Don't pass up on the Lyrik coil u-turn.
    It's a beefy fork with adjustable travel. I like running my HD at 145mm travel, then going to 160 for more DH stuff.

mtbr member
    Thanks Dan, I'll sure take the Lyrik in consideration - it's a great fork which I already have on my Pitch Pro, and it's fantastic. But I decided hold on till late this year to get the HD, on the frame itself there's nothing to decide, but there is so much going on right now, so I want to wait and see what's coming until then, I say, component-wise.

For now, Ibis is only speccing Solo Air Lyriks with the old X-9 set, so I really want to see the new 2011 parts pick first - maybe lighter 2011 Lyriks with low friction coat on a 2x10 X-9 or X-0 or even a full 3x10 XTR set with Kashima coat Fox forks - I can only wonder. Anyway, getting a full kit is the best way for me, since it would come for half the price I'd have to pay for the same parts separatelly. So I better be patient, although not always the easiest thing...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

My new MOJO HD

Just received my new HD yesterday,What a great bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HD Picture & Build Thread-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

My new MOJO HD

Just received my new HD. Such a great bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HD Picture & Build Thread-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thor, sold my Pivot Firebird to go with the HD. The build so far is this:

Medium HD frame
    FOX Talas 36
    Cane Creek 110 HS
    Straightline 50mm stem
    Stans Flow rims/Hope Pro 2 hubs
    Gravity carbon riser bars
    2011 SRAM X0 2x10 cranks/shifters/derailleurs
    PointOne racing podium pedals

Just waiting for the SRAM stuff to ship in the next 2 weeks!!! I'm hoping to be under 28lbs overall. Will see how it turns out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HD Picture & Build Thread-img_0420.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thor, sold my Pivot Firebird to go with the HD. The build so far is this:

Medium HD frame
    FOX Talas 36
    Cane Creek 110 HS
    Straightline 50mm stem
    Stans Flow rims/Hope Pro 2 hubs
    Gravity carbon riser bars
    2011 SRAM X0 2x10 cranks/shifters/derailleurs
    PointOne racing podium pedals

Just waiting for the SRAM stuff to ship in the next 2 weeks!!! I'm hoping to be under 28lbs overall. Will see how it turns out.
    I'm guessing 29ilbs, as long as your under 30 it will be rockin! (well even if it was over it would be but you know!)

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    I'm guessing 29ilbs, as long as your under 30 it will be rockin! (well even if it was over it would be but you know!)
    Mine currently weighs in at 33lbs. That weight is all in tires and fork. I could easily drop 3+ lbs with an air fork and lighter tires; but then I'd be giving up awesomeness.

mtbr member
    I know it's bit off topic, but just an update to what have been said about the new Lyriks so far:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/ar...-shimano-26991

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Finished my build!

Here's some pictures of my completed build, I'm dropping it in the bike shop later to get it weighed, I'm thinking around 28lbs.

meh
    really like that blue on green, did you consider the blue links?

mtbr member
    Just picked up a white hd demo from the ibis van. Will be riding it in an hour. Btw the vitamin p looks different in person lets just say that's the color for you if you want to be seen!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    really like that blue on green, did you consider the blue links?
    Guess the black with blue links would look cool!

The Crow

My HD

Frame arrived in South Africa today. Will build it tom AM..so tomorrow PM is HD time! Just waiting for my I9 wheelset 12mm adapter to arrive so will use Hope for now.

Med frame with all hardware is 2.88kg, 2.91 incl polycarbon guide
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HD Picture & Build Thread-ibis.jpg  

There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    GbrNole- man, those Formula levers look HUGE! Does it feel like the lever reach is really far when you are on the bike??? The bike looks great. Good job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwan
    Frame arrived in South Africa today.

Med frame with all hardware is 2.88kg, 2.91 incl polycarbon guide

Congrats Iwan! What shock you ordered?

The Crow
    RP23

Had a DHX on my Mbuzi and it was a pain to get it dialled. So I decided to go with RP and see how it goes. I'm more of an AM rider than 21:49:45 trail, but I'm sure new RP will be able to keep up. Will keep you guys posted and will post some more pics tom once its up and running.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast