Page 5 of 94 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hey guys, mine arrived last night

The swingarm molding is insane:

I can't believe how gorgeous this bike is. I was originally on the fence between white and vit p, and am so glad I went with this color. It's a very pretty tennis ball yellow in direct sun, but the green comes out in the shadows. It looks super trick.

Spec is pretty much the X9 bike with 160mm 36 Talas, DHX, and Elixir CRs. My Heim2, Turbocharger, and 36t ring should be here this week, KS i950r as soon as they're not backordered. Recommendations on a light 2.5 tire for the front? Otherwise just gotta chop that steerer low and she's good to go. Don't have a scale to put it on, but it is noticeably lighter than my Heckler (DUC32, DHX coil, X9) when picking them up. Thrash report in a few days.

I need to give huge props to Avi and the dudes at Wrench Science for making this bike happen for me. There's some negativity about WS above me in this thread, but I can't imagine receiving better customer service from a shop, online or otherwise. Avi kept me well informed on the status of my frame's arrival, phoned Ibis more than once at my urging, hooked me up with a suspension upgrade, and rushed my ride to me even more quickly than anticipated. I mean, serial #00012 means there really aren't a lot of these bikes around. I doubt that I would have this one right now if I'd tried to get it elsewhere, especially since I put my order in a month to the day before receiving my bike. The WS crew kill it for sure, and I will be stoked when I have the chance to buy another bike from them.

Ibis makes the sickest bikes I've ever seen, I'm so stoked that this one's mine. I'll let you know how it rides, but I bet I like it a lot

The Crow
    Man, that IS good looking!
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That vit p is definately sweet looking, i kind of figured the green would come out in the shadows. Cant wait to get mine but im losing faith in it being anytime soon - how the heck did you get the frame so quick, 30 day wait?!

Im beginning to think the UK orders are definately lower down the priority list here, UK distributors have no idea when the next hd's are coming.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Maxle Rear?...

Ok, quick question regarding the 12x135mm maxle rear end. Does this limit the wheels I am looking at for my HD? I have no experience with this axle as I have always had QR rear. Can all wheels be converted to this rear axle? I have been looking at Crossmax ST, SunRingle Charger Pro and Easton Havoc AM. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Holding
    Ok, quick question regarding the 12x135mm maxle rear end. Does this limit the wheels I am looking at for my HD? I have no experience with this axle as I have always had QR rear. Can all wheels be converted to this rear axle? I have been looking at Crossmax ST, SunRingle Charger Pro and Easton Havoc AM. Thanks.
    Go with the new Easton Haven's! They are available with a maxle rear and are super light, wide, and strong!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I had looked at the Havens but have a 20mm front axle (Fox Talas fork). I really want a lightweight but durable all mountain wheel set (who doesn't right!). Any suggestions are welcomed. Also, is the new SRAM XX group a good choice for the Mojo HD? Is it too XC (weak?). I am 5'7" 165lbs and ride somewhat aggressive. I'm not hitting 20' drops, but don't shy away from the jump park or rock gardens at speed. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I had looked at the Havens but have a 20mm front axle (Fox Talas fork). I really want a lightweight but durable all mountain wheel set (who doesn't right!). Any suggestions are welcomed. Also, is the new SRAM XX group a good choice for the Mojo HD? Is it too XC (weak?). I am 5'7" 165lbs and ride somewhat aggressive. I'm not hitting 20' drops, but don't shy away from the jump park or rock gardens at speed. Thanks.
    Ok, first the wheels. The 12mm rear axle is not available for all wheelsets. You have to look for those which are compatible with this standard. Think of it as the 20mm front, the rear axle comes with the HD, guess it's Rock Shox's. The Havens are compatible with the 12mm rear, but the the Havocs aren't, the rear hub doesn't have enough space to be converted. Ibis offers the Iodines, and if they are as good as the Cobalts, they would be my weapon (in this case, wheelset!) of choice. I'm using the Cobalts for a couple months now and they are strong. Guess the STs are not compatible, but I haven't checked it, but the Crossmax SX are. A good way to go is also assembling a wheelset from the start, Hope and CK hubs are awesome and Flows, 819s and EX500s are all strong rims. The Flows and EX500 are lighter, but the 819 is UST (Flows can go tubeless too).

Now concerning the groupset, I wouldn't go XX. It is still too limited (you can only go with 28-42 crankset and the XX cassette is not compatible with the Cobalt hubs, so I assume it's not with Iodine's as well) and a bit too XC-ish for the HD, I think. If you want to go lighter, the 3x9 X-0 or XTR is still the best choice. Maybe if SRAM make a 26-39 FD that is compatible with the HD, but right now I'd go with the most common sets and wait a bit before jump into the 2x10 wagon. I say that, because we tried the XX and we found it not compatible with the Cobalts, so we reported it to Hans, which asked Sean to test it and then he informed us that they had the same problem with the XX cassette not fitting Cobalt hub and the chain rubbing the frame. Also, we couldn't run the 26-39 due FD issues - the Mojo is only compatible with the 28-42.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Wow. Great information. Thanks. I know the Havens are spec'd for 15mm front axle, can this (or my fork) be converted to work? Was there a particular model Flow rim you were referring to? Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Wow. Great information. Thanks. I know the Havens are spec'd for 15mm front axle, can this (or my fork) be converted to work? Was there a particular model Flow rim you were referring to? Thanks again.
    I suppose you can find info about the Havens at www.eastonbike.com. I really don't recall if they are 15mm only, but I guess not, guess they will work with 20mm as well, like the Havocs. According to Easton, on an email reply, the Havens are 12mm compatible due to the new rear hub. The Havocs can't be converted.

The ZTR Flows are made by No Tubes (www.notubes.com) and they are 28mm wide and very strong, yet very light at only 470g. I built a set with them and Hope Pro2 hubs front and rear, which are convertible to every standard, and DT Swiss Comp spokes. The wheelset is nearly undestructible and they came at only 1900g the set.

If you want lighter without compromising strenght, then the Mavics SX and the DT Swiss Ex1750 may be what you want. They weight under 1800g and they are pretty burly. The Fulcrums are in the spotlight now, they are costy, but they are said to be just as good.

For the fork question, you can't convert from 15QR to 20mm and vice versa. For the HD, the recommended light/strong fork (and the one I'm going with) is the 2011 36 Float 160. It weighs a hair over 2kg. Guess you can't go lighter for such fork and travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks. After researching the Havens, they are coming out with a 20mm version. Unfortunately, they are matched with carbon rims for $2300! Wow. Nice rims but maybe a little much for me. I was trying to stay around 1700 grams for the wheels without giving up too much strength. The 20mm front and 12x135mm rear are really narrowing down that field! Custom wheels might have to be it. I have the 2011 Fox Talas 160mm on order now. Was having a hard time deciding between that and the Float. Figured for the minimal weight difference, I have the travel options. Still trying to figure out WHEN they are going to finalize the matte black HD frame. Guess the last word was they couldn't quite get the graphics right? Not really sure what that means since I saw a picture of one on singlecrown.com...Trying to get together all my parts for when it does arrive. The wheel decision is a tough one so far. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Thanks. After researching the Havens, they are coming out with a 20mm version. Unfortunately, they are matched with carbon rims for $2300! Wow. Nice rims but maybe a little much for me. I was trying to stay around 1700 grams for the wheels without giving up too much strength. The 20mm front and 12x135mm rear are really narrowing down that field! Custom wheels might have to be it. I have the 2011 Fox Talas 160mm on order now. Was having a hard time deciding between that and the Float. Figured for the minimal weight difference, I have the travel options. Still trying to figure out WHEN they are going to finalize the matte black HD frame. Guess the last word was they couldn't quite get the graphics right? Not really sure what that means since I saw a picture of one on singlecrown.com...Trying to get together all my parts for when it does arrive. The wheel decision is a tough one so far. Thanks again.
    If you can possibly wait just a bit longer, I believe the aluminum havens will be optioned with the 20mm thru axle as well

Iodines look cool i fyou're into the look, but they're heavy and have those silly proprietary spokes, no thanks!

mtbr member
    The grey Iodines or the Crossmax SX would match your black HD perfectly!

But if you choose the DIY way, I recomend going for the Hope Pro2/ ZTR Flow combo. Have been using them for big events on my Mojo SL and they can handle a punch, so they will probably go on the HD late this year. Just to mention, I'm also running Havocs on my Pitch (which I spec'ed more as a mini-DH bike) but I had the same desapointment as you when Easton said they couldn't be converted to 12mm rear, this set is simply bomb proof.

And Industry 9 has some decent Enduro wheelsets, and they are very light. Definitely worth checking!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Can someone with a large and medium HD measure their seatpost length please? Is it exactly 17" and 19" long?

It would also be great if you can post a picture with a saddle to center BB setting of 29" (73-74cm).
    This would be helpful for me. Thanks!

MPI
    mtbr member
    Forgot to order CC conversion crown race (HD1406) for Wotan . Now I am just waiting if Jenson can deliver it to Finland. None in my knowledge in Europe

http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

mtbr member
    That HD looks bigger than your Mojo. Why did you go with a bigger frame, if that's the case?

Anyway, the frame alone is amazing. Congratulations!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Been researching wheels all day. I think you are right. A custom build with the Hope hubs and Flows seem like the ticket. Not too expensive either! Gonna try Formula "The One" brakes as well. Unless anyone has had bad experiences with them? Next dilema is Travativ Noir carbon cranks or XTR? It doesn's specify bottom bracket size on the Ibis website (or I didn't see it). Anyone have info on this?

Let the good times roll.
    Did you find the "Hope Hoops" deal on chainreactioncycles.com ? That's where I got mine, and I've been happy with the build quality over the past year or so of riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Prowheelbuilder.com Wheels came in under $600! Anyone have experience between Formula "The Ones" vs. Formula R1 brakes? Gonna buy one or the other, just not sure if the R1 is up to the "all mountain" task. Checking reviews now but any input is appreciated.

mtbr member
    You mean either standard or BB30? The BB is standard if it's what you asking. I used both the XTR and the Noir, and they are both amazing cranks. Maybe the only noticiable difference is the front shifting, that with the XTR seems smoother and with the Noir seems crispier.

But from what you saying, your build will be awesome! Pics as soon as you get it done, please!
    Last edited by Black RONIN; 05-25-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Let the good times roll.
    Prowheelbuilder.com Wheels came in under $600! Anyone have experience between Formula "The Ones" vs. Formula R1 brakes? Gonna buy one or the other, just not sure if the R1 is up to the "all mountain" task. Checking reviews now but any input is appreciated.
    That's expensive! Mine were $380 shipped, and it looks like the price has dropped since.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=40780

MPI
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    That HD looks bigger than your Mojo. Why did you go with a bigger frame, if that's the case?

Anyway, the frame alone is amazing. Congratulations!
    Both are XL frames. It is just composition and camera lens that makes the difference. I have been riding that standard Mojo from 2007. To your knowledge I measured the weights of both frames. Mojo 2820g and HD 2975g

mtbr member
    That can't be only 155 grams? And its not even an SL? Somethings not right I think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

I upgraded to "the Ones" on my classic Ibis last year. When I sold in in preparation for the HD it was the only part I kept! I also have the RX's, but have not tried the R1's. Would definitely recommend the Ones if you ever do lift riding or shuttles...

MPI
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    That can't be only 155 grams? And its not even an SL? Somethings not right I think.
    I weighted them with Berkley fishing scale FS50 which has been very accurate in the past.

From Ibiscycles website: "Weight for the frame (HD) and shock, size large: 6.3 lbs, 2.86Kg". So difference between L (according to Ibis) and my XL is 115g.

Maybe I made something wrong. Maybe Hans can confirm the weight difference?

I had Frameskins in Mojo. Maybe them add some weight to frame.

mtbr member
    Guess you are about right MPI. My SL frame came at even 2450g for a size M, so your HD frame is about 525g heavier, which confirms the estimate extra pound over the SL. That is sounding pretty ok to me.

Page 5 of 94 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast