Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748
Results 2,351 to 2,396 of 2396
    mtbr member
    Took the HD in 170/160 coil mode to Rotorua recently. Here is a shot at the entrance to one of the best trails I've ever ridden... (rear Haven wheel replaced with 26" XTR due to casing a creek gap just prior to the trip... Woops!).

On the lake where we stayed...

150mm 27.5 Pike, 1x11 & 650b wheelset inbound too... 😁

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Nice bike. Are you going to put 650b on the back too or just the front?
    Cheers man! I ran this bike mostly as an HD140 (150mm Revelations up front) for ages as a stiff, progressive, playful trail bike but must admit the bike totally comes alive in 160 mode with coil front and rear (170mm Marz 66RC2X! ), even with the added weight.

As for 650b, I was going to go all the way. I realize that converting even an HD to 650b is a bit of a compromise compared to the current crop of ground up 650b bikes, but in all honesty I can't afford a completely new bike, so after 4 years of loyal service from the HD I figured I'd try and at least upgrade it and it should satisfy me for another 12-18 months at least.

My plan is to run LightBicycle Carbon 35mm 650b rims (30mm internal) laced to DT350's (with upgraded 56t ratchet), with Maxxis Ardent 2.25" rear, Maxxis HR2 2.4" or 2.3" front (same setup as I normally run and it works great for me, i generally aren't left wanting for a larger rear tyre, though in Rotorua I ran an old HR on the rear due to the wet weather).

I've already got a Pike 150mm 650b fork, and I'm going to run 140 limbo chips with my factory "140mm" Fox RP23 running a Vorsprung Corset (if it ever turns up - paid for it in August, still don't have it...!).

With just all the above the BB will likely be a bit high for my tastes, so I will also run offset bushings to lower the BB as well as slacken the front end (exact offset still TBD). I'm hoping running a 2.25 Ardent on a 30mm internal rim with offset bushings on a "140mm" (less than that in reality) shock doesn't add up to loosing paint off my lovely seat tube... I guess there is only one way to find out! Fingers crossed!

Oh and I've already got a full 1x11 XT M8000 drivetrain to go on too. My M785 brakes are still sweet, so no need for an upgrade there.

Cheers,
    *3o3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Nice bike. Are you going to put 650b on the back too or just the front?
    I run a 27.5 on the front of my HD and a 26 in the rear. I really, really like it. The 2015 fox float 160/36mm is so good, it's made a tremendous improvement, and you can keep the travel at both ends. The fox has a 10mm shorter crown height- so with a 27.5 front wheel geometry stays pretty much the same. A new rear shock would help a lot too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by starship303 View Post
    Cheers man! I ran this bike mostly as an HD140 (150mm Revelations up front) for ages as a stiff, progressive, playful trail bike but must admit the bike totally comes alive in 160 mode with coil front and rear (170mm Marz 66RC2X! ), even with the added weight.

As for 650b, I was going to go all the way. I realize that converting even an HD to 650b is a bit of a compromise compared to the current crop of ground up 650b bikes, but in all honesty I can't afford a completely new bike, so after 4 years of loyal service from the HD I figured I'd try and at least upgrade it and it should satisfy me for another 12-18 months at least.

My plan is to run LightBicycle Carbon 35mm 650b rims (30mm internal) laced to DT350's (with upgraded 56t ratchet), with Maxxis Ardent 2.25" rear, Maxxis HR2 2.4" or 2.3" front (same setup as I normally run and it works great for me, i generally aren't left wanting for a larger rear tyre, though in Rotorua I ran an old HR on the rear due to the wet weather).

I've already got a Pike 150mm 650b fork, and I'm going to run 140 limbo chips with my factory "140mm" Fox RP23 running a Vorsprung Corset (if it ever turns up - paid for it in August, still don't have it...!).

With just all the above the BB will likely be a bit high for my tastes, so I will also run offset bushings to lower the BB as well as slacken the front end (exact offset still TBD). I'm hoping running a 2.25 Ardent on a 30mm internal rim with offset bushings on a "140mm" (less than that in reality) shock doesn't add up to loosing paint off my lovely seat tube... I guess there is only one way to find out! Fingers crossed!

Oh and I've already got a full 1x11 XT M8000 drivetrain to go on too. My M785 brakes are still sweet, so no need for an upgrade there.

Cheers,
    *3o3
    Do you already have the DT hubs? If not shoot me a PM.

mtbr member
    Bit of an update on me keeping the HD alive and healthy. Here it is in 650b glory (with new M8000 1x11 drivetrain). Wheels as previously mentioned are Light Bicycle 35mm (30mm internal) carbon rims laced to DT Swiss 350 hubs, with the 36t ratchet upgrade installed. Light is the word too, quoted at 1480g!! Running HR2 27.5x2.3 up front and Ardent 27.5x2.25 out back, a setup I'm very familiar with in 26" guise....

"Got Slack?" Testing the bottom out clearance...

This is what the clearance looks like at the seat tube with a 27.5x2.25 Ardent... Not sure now if I can run offset bushings. Thoughts ??? To me thats about as close as you want to go without taking into account flex in the frame or wheels...

Yes, my shock is bottomed out, i appear to have a bit of extra shaft ("that's what she said").

Thinking I might need to turn it into an HDR650b and reduce the shock travel instead of using offset bushes to lower the BB. 😒 For the cost of one set of bushes maybe its worth a try??

No ride report as this thing is yet to see the dirt unfortunately.

*3o3

mtbr member
    Oh and Pike is a 150mm 👍

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Starship,
    What size shock are you using? Are you also using the proper limbo chips?
    Eric

mtbr member
    Hi Eric, its the standard HD140 shock on the 140 chips (bike was originally bought as HD140, though I ran it as HD160 coil for some time too so have those chips as well). The HD140 shock is 7.875" x 2.0" or 200mm x 50mm (same as Mojo or SLR).

Its a 2012 (142mm rear) frame BTW, you can see the extra little bit of seat tube clearance doing its thing in the last pic. 👍

I've also got a Vorsprung Corset on the way to replace the Fox can too, so will re-test bottom out with that (though obviously shouldn't change things!).

*3o3

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

No ride report as this thing is yet to see the dirt unfortunately.

*3o3
    I would appreciate, if you could give a ride report, when you can.
    I have HD160mm, which i may convert to 150/140mm 650B
    I have 160mm Fox 34 26" fork, which could be shortened to 150mm.
    Then i would need limbo chips and 200x50 shock and wheelset.
    I just am not sure, if this conversion is worth it and would like to know more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Starship,
    Thanks for the info.
    Eric

mtbr member
    No worries, will do. Having a newborn now means my riding time is cut to basically zero which is why I've not turned these 650b wheels under pedal power yet... Will get there eventually.

Also, something else arrived in the mail yesterday...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yes, my shock is bottomed out, i appear to have a bit of extra shaft ("that's what she said").
    The 7.875 x 2 if i recall correctly is just a 7.875 x 2.25 shock with a .25 internal spacer added to limit the stroke.

AL

mtbr member
    Well I finally had a chance to get out on the HD650b, and although there is still some fiddling to do with suspension setup, this thing felt great!

[/URL]

This was a brilliant chance to work out the differences just a wheel and fork change can make going from 26" to 27.5". I ran the same spec tyres (2.3 HR2 front, Ardent 2.25" rear) which also helped. Although I dropped a decent amount of weight from its previous 170/160 coil setup, its essentially now sitting at the same weight as it was in HD140 guise, the way I rode it for the majority of its life.

Anyway below are some interesting observations...

Parts changed:

Fork - from a 2012 150mm Revelation RLT Ti 20mm maxle (or a 170mm Marzocchi 66RCX 20mm thru axle) to a 150mm Pike RCT3 Solo Air 15mm maxle lite.

Wheels - from 26" Easton Haven to 27.5" LightBicycle 35mm ext (30mm int) AM carbon rims on DT Swiss 350's (with 36t star ratchet upgrade).

Tyres - HR2 2.3 fr, Ardent 2.25 rr (same tyres just different dia.).

Clearance:

This it's an easy one - no clearance issues! Remember this is just a fork and wheel change, no other geometry was (yet) harmed in the making of this 6-fiddie... The guys at Ibis say it works set as a HD140 wothout any mods, and it's the thruth.

Clearance on bottom out as posted previously... (with OEM HD140 limbo chips and shock)

Acceleration:

Due to the lighter wheelset (1480g vs 1650g) it was always going to accelerate a bit better, and it does! Physics may suggest that the larger wheel should slow it down in this department, but I guess wheel weight trumps wheel size in this case! Out of corners in particular I noticed the added acceleration. Combined with the lighter feeling front end it seemed to pop out of corners better than ever before! (heavier fork + lighter wheel seems to feel lighter than a lighter fork + heavier wheel of equivalent weight... If that makes sense? Makes sense from a physics perspective, lever arm/moment/etc).

Cornering:

On entry into and through the corner I could definitely feel additional grip. The salesmen are right! 😨😉 Of course, my rims are quite a bit wider so that could have attributed to the added grip as well, along with added stiffness of the wheels. One drawback I felt from this conversion was the higher BB. From memory mine measures bang on 14" static, so I was running a little more sag to compensate. It wasn't a deal breaker by any means, but it was there in the flatter corners. I had always planned on installing offset bushings to counter this (along with shortening the travel slightly, making it essentially an HDR), but wanted to test the bike first beforehand. Turns out, yep I prefer a lower BB. The added pedal clearance was however a bonus on a trail with lots of little rocky pedal snags. I could just motor through sections that I would have normally had to time my pedal stokes.

Change of direction/playfulness/jumping:

Wow! This was something I was a little worried about as I find the HD a very playful bike, its why I'm still riding it over 4 years later. I guess this all comes down to wheel weight, but the bike felt more playful than previous! Even jumping felt more comfortable, and that's coming from someone who tends to prefer keeping pretty close to terra firma.

Climbing:

Better through the rough climbs, no real disadvantage on smooth climbs. Not much else to say but win win!

All in all, stoked! It should only get better from here with the Corset can to go in along with offset bushes! 😁

Cheers

*3o3

mtbr member
    Few more pix as it is the build thread after all...

Any questions, shoot. �

*3o3
    Last edited by starship303; 05-17-2016 at 04:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Few more pix as it is the build thread after
    Bike looks great, I kinda miss my Vit P.
    Give that Vorsprung air can a try, It should give you a little smoother ride over the small bumps. Overall I think it's a pretty cheap upgrade for the CTD.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My friend came for a coffee with Trek Stache...
    Just a moment later

and result

Click for better pictures

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748