• 04-10-2014
    Ramjm_2000
    Updated with LB 40mm Hookless/Hope 40T Wheelset. Next project will be to play with my Factory DW tuned RLX (will be interested to see the difference b/w my stock H3 200x56 and the DW 200x51 RLX). Will also be testing out a Wolf Tooth 42/XX1 30 1x setup as I shredded the chainring bolts on my Northshore Billet XX1 104 2x setup. Too pissed to mess with them right now but an easyout should get the broken bits out.

• 04-12-2014
    Lobanovskyy
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 04-27-2014
    Ramjm_2000
    Update from above. Now running Wolftooth 42/30 1x combo and finally set up my hookless LB wheels tubeless. Both tire got nice and plump but man the NN got massive. I run the same tire setup on my hardtail and the difference is huge. I also swapped out my piggy back H3 for a Factory Tunned DW RLX. Weight is right at 26.5 lbs.

New 650b/HDR rear triangle is the next step.
  • 05-05-2014
    xixo one
    Mojo HD Picture & Build Thread
    Hi , I whould like to mount a 240s rear hub and I need to know if my axle is compatible with it
    Thanks!
  • 05-05-2014
    Danimal1
    2 Attachment(s)
    My Ibis HD
    I decided to give the HD a little love this weekend. Brand new enduro bearings in all the pivots, and both hubs.

I thought it looked so good all cleaned up that I decided I had to take some pictures and post it up.

Frame: Ibis HD, Medium Black (enduro pivot bearing upgrade)
    Rear Shock: Fox DHX Air
    Fork: Marzocchi 55RC3 Ti
    Headset: Cane Creek 110
    Stem: Thompson X-4 50mm
    Bar: Enve DH (cut to 780mm)
    Seat post: Rock Shox Reverb
    Saddle: Chromag Trailmaster LTD
    Grips: ODI Troy Lee Designs
    Shifter: Sram X01
    Rear Der: Sram X01
    Cassette: Sram X01 10-42
    Chain: Sram XX1
    Bottom Bracket: Chris King Gold
    Crank: Shimano XTR-980
    Chainring: Sram X01 32t
    Brakes: Shimano Saint front and rear 203 rotors
    Wheels: Gold Hadley Hubs, Stans Flow rims 32h black 14/15guage black brass nipples
    Tires: WTB Vigalante front, Wolverine Rear tubeless.

*The bike was purchased at The Bike Company in Lake Forest, CA
  • 05-05-2014
    Maverick005
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xixo one View Post
    Hi , I whould like to mount a 240s rear hub and I need to know if my axle is compatible with it
    Thanks!

DT 240 you can order it how you want it, if your HD I assume, HD is model 2012 onwards or 12x142 axle std, then the DT 240 can be ordered in that configuration I run that on my HD with XX1.

:thumbsup:
  • 05-05-2014
    xixo one
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    DT 240 you can order it how you want it, if your HD I assume, HD is model 2012 onwards or 12x142 axle std, then the DT 240 can be ordered in that configuration I run that on my HD with XX1.

Thank you very much :)
  • 06-09-2014
    Gunnar-man
    3 Attachment(s)
    Love my bike but not much of a fan of the primer grey/blue that HD's came with.

So, after attempting to cover the grey with plastidip ( a whole lotta work of masking, spraying, peeling and then it didn't last long) and wetsanding (again, a whole lotta work for a small area) I went out and bought some black vinyl frame protector. A marker, some scissors, the wife's hair blower and two hours later, I have a "new" bike.

I like black because it never goes outta style

Specs
    2012 HD Large
    RS Pike 160 solo
    RS Monarch plus
    RS Reverb
    XTR Brakes and derailleur,
    XT Shifter and pedals, XT cassette with Wolftooth 42 tooth
    RaceFace Next crankset 32 tooth
    Easton Haven Carbon Wheels with Maxxis Ardents 2.4/2.25
    Enve Riser bar 740mm
    Syntace Stem 50mm
    Fizik Tundra 2
    Weight: 27.8
  • 06-09-2014
    R3D2
    looks awesome!!
  • 06-24-2014
    davidindiano
    My bike
  • 07-07-2014
    mogne
    hello to all owners of ibis mojo HD I created this funpage on facebook, if you want to contribute ... of course I am a happy owner of HD 26
    https://www.facebook.com/ibisMojoHd
  • 07-13-2014
    juu-zo
    1 Attachment(s)
    Some updates since march.

Frame: Ibis Mojo HD 140 Vitamin P (Small)
    Fork: Rock Shox Pike 160mm
    Shox: Fox Float RP23 CTD Boost Valve (kashima)
    Grips: Lizard Skin DSP
    Handlebar: Easton Haven carbon 711mm
    Stem: Easton Haven 70 mm
    Headset: Hope mixed tapered
    Shifter: Sram XO1 with matshi matchmaker
    Brakes: Shimano XT M785
    Discs: Shimano XT 180mm and 160mm
    Cranks: Sram XO1 34t
    Pedals: Shimano xt M780
    Rear derailleur: Sram XO1
    Cassette: Sram XG-1195 10-42t
    Chain: Sram PC-XX1
    Seatpost: Rock Shox Reverb
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLR TT
    Rims: Light-Bicycle Wide AM Hookles
    Hubs: DT Swiss 240s
    Spokes: DT Swiss Supercomp
    Nipples: DT Swiss brass
    Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph Snakeskin 2,25"
    Total weight: 12,13kg

Attachment 907799

Almost dream bike and build for me.
  • 07-16-2014
    davidindiano
  • 09-11-2014
    Daypack
    1 Attachment(s)

Attachment 922586
  • 10-27-2014
    m1na
    1 Attachment(s)
    few g under 13Kg :-)
    Attachment 934419

Thinking about getting works headset -1.5 to bring it to 65 but not 100% sure ...
  • 10-27-2014
    fabricio fracchia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by m1na View Post
    few g under 13Kg :-)
    Attachment 934419

Thinking about getting works headset -1.5 to bring it to 65 but not 100% sure ...

I got mine with CC Angleset at 65.5 (1.5 deg les than stock) fork is a TALAS 34 2014, the bike go nice downhill but uphill need some extra weight over the bar on step climbs.If you are like me, that don't care too much while climb and like enjoy going fast downhill, go for the slack headset.

Regards.
  • 10-27-2014
    wilks
    I have a -1 degree angleset. The bike climbs well.
  • 01-03-2015
    trap121
    It's no HDR, or HD3 but love it none the less. Bought it new a few months back in a close out deal for a crazy low price. Stock special blend.

Then swapped out most of the stock components......for a much better ride.....

• 01-03-2015
    doismellbacon
    Yeah, really looks sharp. Love what you've done with it! Gonna shred!
  • 01-06-2015
    trap121
    Not sure the weight, I'll find out though.

Any recommendations on a chain guide for it?
  • 01-06-2015
    Shane_CA
    I've had a MRP AMg for a year and am real happy with it. Works great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trap121 View Post
    Not sure the weight, I'll find out though.

Any recommendations on a chain guide for it?

• 01-13-2015
    Evans
    Hi all, three days ago I got my mojo HD finished by my LBS and i have ridden it 3 times now and it is amazing. I put a fox float 34 on it and on my biggest jump i an not getting 2 centimeters of travel, and i was wondering if it is true that you should be bottoming out the shock and fork on the biggest jump.
  • 01-13-2015
    doismellbacon
    You should be getting at least 2 cm of sag just sitting stationary on the bike, if not more. How much air pressure do you have in the fork? Is the knob on the top of the leg in "climb" mode? That's basically a lockout, so you won't get much travel at all in climb mode, and you should always set your sag with that knob switched to the open, or "descend" mode.

To make the most use of your suspension, you should at least be coming close to full bottom out on the hardest hits you regularly encounter.
  • 01-13-2015
    doismellbacon
    After rereading your post, I'm wondering if what you're saying is that you're getting all but 2cm of travel....as in 120mm out of 140mm, for instance. ????
  • 01-14-2015
    Evans
    It is the 160mm version of the float 34 and I was getting about 140mm, then last ride i reduced the psi to 58, which got me another 5mm of travel usage, tomorrow I am going to try it at 55, and then 50. I do wonder how low I can go as i weigh around 165-170lbs with gear on. thanks
  • 01-19-2015
    shmoodiver
    Looks like i've got a 14 HDR in large coming....
    build will be

Xtr shifters and mechs
    XT drive
    Zee brakes 200/180
    WTB i25's on hope pro II's
    reverb 125mm
    marzocchi 55 rc3 Ti 160mm
    CC 40 series h/s
    Not sure what shock it's coming with yet but i'm pretty sure i can get my hands on a CCDBAIR for not too much, will I miss the climb switch?
    I live and ride in Nelson NZ and the riding down here is quite varied but generally steep and techy with some super tight switchbacks.... do I drop in a -1 headset?

chur
  • 02-06-2015
    cmarshack
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quick snap after a morning ride...still lovin' the HD while I wait for my HD3!

Attachment 962163
  • 02-08-2015
    bajaguy

I had a white HD I picked up when they first came almost 5 years ago and got rid of it 2 years ago. Picked up a killer deal on a used frame and had a bunch of parts laying around so I decided to pick the frame up and build another HD as a back up bike/trail XC bike to my Nomad 3. Set it up with a Fox 34 150 and a 2.25 shock with 140 chips to bump up the rear travel. Im also running a -1.5 degree headset to slacken the bike out and this bike rips with how I set it up. BB height is only 13.3 inches and I am guessing HA to be around 67 degrees. It came in at 28lbs which is the same as my Nomad 3. The picture is from a 25 miler this weekend.
  • 02-09-2015
    gallorody
    2 Attachment(s)
    Just bought an Ibis Mojo HD this week and I'm in loveAttachment 962756[ATTACH=CONFIG]962757[/ATTACH
  • 02-09-2015
    Shane_CA
    Bajaguy - looks like a ton of fun. Thinking of doing something similar to my old HD once I get my HD3 frame. How do you like the 34 Float 150 fork? What wheelset did you put on it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajaguy View Post

I had a white HD I picked up when they first came almost 5 years ago and got rid of it 2 years ago. Picked up a killer deal on a used frame and had a bunch of parts laying around so I decided to pick the frame up and build another HD as a back up bike/trail XC bike to my Nomad 3. Set it up with a Fox 34 150 and a 2.25 shock with 140 chips to bump up the rear travel. Im also running a -1.5 degree headset to slacken the bike out and this bike rips with how I set it up. BB height is only 13.3 inches and I am guessing HA to be around 67 degrees. It came in at 28lbs which is the same as my Nomad 3. The picture is from a 25 miler this weekend.

• 02-10-2015
    bajaguy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Bajaguy - looks like a ton of fun. Thinking of doing something similar to my old HD once I get my HD3 frame. How do you like the 34 Float 150 fork? What wheelset did you put on it?

The Fox 34 is good, it's no Fox 36 but it's fine for what I expect from the bike. It's the 2014 model so no fork dive issues and I just keep it in trail mode all the time. The Pike is more sensitive but I didn't want to drop a lot of money into this bike and I picked up the 26" Fox 34 brand new super cheap.

Wheels are LB AM Carbon rims laced to 350 hubs I had laying around from my old Ibis.

• 02-13-2015
    mkb5150
    need help with headset
    Hey all, I bought a used HDR frame set up for 26". Doing a parts swap from my SC Heckler but need a new cockpit. Pretty sure I'm getting a Pike 160mm and a 70mm Race Face Turbine stem, but I need some help with the headset. This is my first frame build-up and I'm getting confused by all the options, if I buy an upper and lower separately, if they come together, etc. I saw that this Chris King I3 should work but is there a better bang-for-the-buck option? Closest Cane Creek 40 set I can find is this ZS44 EC49 but it says EC49/30 when the Ibis website says EC49/40. Also I just noticed it's for straight forks rather than tapered. Can someone link me to the correct item(s)? Thanks!
  • 02-13-2015
    StiHacka
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mkb5150 View Post
    Can someone link me to the correct item(s)? Thanks!

This one should work: http://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-40-.../dp/B009F9475Q
  • 02-13-2015
    mkb5150
    Thank you, that helps a ton! Oh, and sorry I posted this in the HD build thread instead of HDR...
  • 02-16-2015
    cmarshack
    2 Attachment(s)
    A couple of pics from a session at the Crows Nest hosted by the Gravity Pirates...one shot hittin a double at the top and one shot clearing the big gap at the bottom:

Attachment 964975

Attachment 964976
  • 04-13-2015
    eshew
    2 Attachment(s)
    Bringing it back. New shredmobile.
    Built on a budget but it rocks!

Used:
    Frame w/Chubie
    Fork (from previous bike)
    Rims and tires
    Forte Pedals (Cheap and they are fantastic)
    Seat & Seatpost

New-Newish
    Easton Havoc 750mm bars
    Easton Havoc stem (On sale Orange, 65mm perhaps a bit long)
    Saint shifer
    XT brakes
    SLX crank w/ 34t Blackspire nw
    Bash & manual granny (Which I haven't used yet!)
    XT rear derailluer & cassette

I've only got a few pre-season rides on the bike, not ideal conditions but I like it so far. Huge upgrade across the board compared to anything I've ridden before. I ran the same fork on my last bike and the performance of the Mojo HD frame and Avalanche Chubie is incredible. Bottomless controlled travel, no spike, compression is spot on, consistent and controlled. And stupid fast...
  • 04-18-2015
    future9398
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 05-06-2015
    radnasty
    2 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 986443

Attachment 986444

Lyric and DB Coil
    1x10 Wolftooth conversion
    Avid Trail brakes
  • 05-06-2015
    hani1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by future9398 View Post

What rims are those?
  • 05-06-2015
    Nutta
    Hi all from West Australia
    I have been going to post here for a long time, so here it is

Spec.
    Pike 160
    CCDBA (200x57)
    650b LB 30mm on DT240
    Kore bar, stem, grips.
    Elixir CR brakes(looking at upgrading to X0 trail)
    XX1 cranks and X0 10 speed
    Reverb
    shimano pedals

Love this bike and I am looking forward to building up some good 26 wheels and trying 160mm mode.
  • 05-09-2015
    future9398
    That's Nextie Rims , they made me my own designed decal
  • 05-13-2015
    Nicolo38
    1 Attachment(s)
    My new Ibis Mojo HD (frame bought 2nd hand), just finished the setup, first rides are great :D
    Attachment 988069

Setup:
    Frame Mojo HD with Fox RP23 HV
    Fork XFusion Sweep
    Wheels MAvix Crossmax ST /Easton EA90 (26")
    Drive 3x9 ->I'll upgrade that to 2x10

The bike is pretty light with this setup, ready for Alpine trails :)

Only concern is on the shox, missing mid stroke support, as it's not new it may only need to be serviced.
  • 05-14-2015
    Salespunk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolo38 View Post
    My new Ibis Mojo HD (frame bought 2nd hand), just finished the setup, first rides are great :D
    Attachment 988069

Setup:
    Frame Mojo HD with Fox RP23 HV
    Fork XFusion Sweep
    Wheels MAvix Crossmax ST /Easton EA90 (26")
    Drive 3x9 ->I'll upgrade that to 2x10

The bike is pretty light with this setup, ready for Alpine trails :)

Only concern is on the shox, missing mid stroke support, as it's not new it may only need to be serviced.

That is just the way the RP23 rides. Swap it out for a Monarch Plus especially if you can find one that has been Pushed. It will feel like an entirely different bike in a good way.
  • 05-14-2015
    doismellbacon
    Couldn't agree more with Salespunk.

If you don't want to spend the money on a Monarch, at least put a fox volume reduction kit on there...that will help some.
  • 07-13-2015
    Abagrizzli
    Was

Became

Now

Let's see how it rides with 27.5/26 wheels... For now no alterations were made to the fork. Riding at full 170mm.

Front Purgatory Control, rear Eskar Armadillo Elite. Don't know why, went Spesh on this one...
  • 07-17-2015
    Nicolo38
    1 Attachment(s)
    Soem news about my Mojo HD, after several week of riding in the Alps, including some bike park trails. I really enjoy the bike :D
    Attachment 1002582

I've been riding 650B front wheel for several weeks and I wouldn't go back to 26" front...
    Next step is to move to 1x11 speed, I'll probably install Shimano new XT 11s once available.
  • 07-17-2015
    Abagrizzli
    Nicolo, are you using Sweep at full 160 with 27.5 wheel? Great fork choice by the way, installed that on my wife's HD, very plush, much better than any others.
  • 07-18-2015
    Nicolo38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Abagrizzli View Post
    Nicolo, are you using Sweep at full 160 with 27.5 wheel? Great fork choice by the way, installed that on my wife's HD, very plush, much better than any others.

Yes, full travel 160mm, and no issue.
    I like the sweep, limits are in bike park on hard terrain where it feels harsch, but it's not my main playground.
  • 07-18-2015
    Abagrizzli
    I'm using my Vengeance at full 170, and it's wonderful in every way, besides on steep climbs, when the front needs to be pushed down... Do you have troubles like these at 160?
  • 01-07-2016
    philstone
    1 Attachment(s)
    Time for an update..
    Haven't updated my build list for ages...!

Frame: Ibis HD
    Rear Shock: Monarch Plus RCT3 Debonair
    Fork: '15 Fox 36 Float RC2
    Headset: Hope
    Stem: Joystick
    Bar: Ibis HiFI Carbon
    Seat post: Rock Shox Reverb Stealth
    Saddle: Joystick Digital Feather LT
    Grips: Ergon
    Shifter: Saint
    Rear Der: Saint
    Cassette: XT 11-36
    Chain: KMC SLC Red/Black
    Bottom Bracket: Hope Ceramic
    Crank: SRAM X0 DH
    Chainring: Absolute Black 32
    Pedals: CB Mallet E
    Brakes: Saint
    Wheels: Hope Pro 2 SP with Arch EX
    Tyres: Bontrager XR4 Team Issue 2.2 rear 2.35 front

Weight is around 28lbs

Attachment 1040935
  • 01-15-2016
    starship303
    Took the HD in 170/160 coil mode to Rotorua recently. Here is a shot at the entrance to one of the best trails I've ever ridden... (rear Haven wheel replaced with 26" XTR due to casing a creek gap just prior to the trip... Woops!).

On the lake where we stayed...

150mm 27.5 Pike, 1x11 & 650b wheelset inbound too... 😁
  • 01-17-2016
    starship303
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Nice bike. Are you going to put 650b on the back too or just the front?

Cheers man! I ran this bike mostly as an HD140 (150mm Revelations up front) for ages as a stiff, progressive, playful trail bike but must admit the bike totally comes alive in 160 mode with coil front and rear (170mm Marz 66RC2X! :thumbsup: ), even with the added weight.

As for 650b, I was going to go all the way. I realize that converting even an HD to 650b is a bit of a compromise compared to the current crop of ground up 650b bikes, but in all honesty I can't afford a completely new bike, so after 4 years of loyal service from the HD I figured I'd try and at least upgrade it and it should satisfy me for another 12-18 months at least.

My plan is to run LightBicycle Carbon 35mm 650b rims (30mm internal) laced to DT350's (with upgraded 56t ratchet), with Maxxis Ardent 2.25" rear, Maxxis HR2 2.4" or 2.3" front (same setup as I normally run and it works great for me, i generally aren't left wanting for a larger rear tyre, though in Rotorua I ran an old HR on the rear due to the wet weather).

I've already got a Pike 150mm 650b fork, and I'm going to run 140 limbo chips with my factory "140mm" Fox RP23 running a Vorsprung Corset (if it ever turns up - paid for it in August, still don't have it...!).

With just all the above the BB will likely be a bit high for my tastes, so I will also run offset bushings to lower the BB as well as slacken the front end (exact offset still TBD). I'm hoping running a 2.25 Ardent on a 30mm internal rim with offset bushings on a "140mm" (less than that in reality) shock doesn't add up to loosing paint off my lovely seat tube... I guess there is only one way to find out! Fingers crossed!

Oh and I've already got a full 1x11 XT M8000 drivetrain to go on too. My M785 brakes are still sweet, so no need for an upgrade there.

Cheers,
    *3o3
  • 01-17-2016
    Trackho
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Nice bike. Are you going to put 650b on the back too or just the front?

I run a 27.5 on the front of my HD and a 26 in the rear. I really, really like it. The 2015 fox float 160/36mm is so good, it's made a tremendous improvement, and you can keep the travel at both ends. The fox has a 10mm shorter crown height- so with a 27.5 front wheel geometry stays pretty much the same. A new rear shock would help a lot too
  • 01-19-2016
    cmarshack
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starship303 View Post
    Cheers man! I ran this bike mostly as an HD140 (150mm Revelations up front) for ages as a stiff, progressive, playful trail bike but must admit the bike totally comes alive in 160 mode with coil front and rear (170mm Marz 66RC2X! :thumbsup: ), even with the added weight.

As for 650b, I was going to go all the way. I realize that converting even an HD to 650b is a bit of a compromise compared to the current crop of ground up 650b bikes, but in all honesty I can't afford a completely new bike, so after 4 years of loyal service from the HD I figured I'd try and at least upgrade it and it should satisfy me for another 12-18 months at least.

My plan is to run LightBicycle Carbon 35mm 650b rims (30mm internal) laced to DT350's (with upgraded 56t ratchet), with Maxxis Ardent 2.25" rear, Maxxis HR2 2.4" or 2.3" front (same setup as I normally run and it works great for me, i generally aren't left wanting for a larger rear tyre, though in Rotorua I ran an old HR on the rear due to the wet weather).

I've already got a Pike 150mm 650b fork, and I'm going to run 140 limbo chips with my factory "140mm" Fox RP23 running a Vorsprung Corset (if it ever turns up - paid for it in August, still don't have it...!).

With just all the above the BB will likely be a bit high for my tastes, so I will also run offset bushings to lower the BB as well as slacken the front end (exact offset still TBD). I'm hoping running a 2.25 Ardent on a 30mm internal rim with offset bushings on a "140mm" (less than that in reality) shock doesn't add up to loosing paint off my lovely seat tube... I guess there is only one way to find out! Fingers crossed!

Oh and I've already got a full 1x11 XT M8000 drivetrain to go on too. My M785 brakes are still sweet, so no need for an upgrade there.

Cheers,
    *3o3

Do you already have the DT hubs? If not shoot me a PM.
  • 03-29-2016
    starship303
    Bit of an update on me keeping the HD alive and healthy. Here it is in 650b glory (with new M8000 1x11 drivetrain). Wheels as previously mentioned are Light Bicycle 35mm (30mm internal) carbon rims laced to DT Swiss 350 hubs, with the 36t ratchet upgrade installed. Light is the word too, quoted at 1480g!! Running HR2 27.5x2.3 up front and Ardent 27.5x2.25 out back, a setup I'm very familiar with in 26" guise....

"Got Slack?" Testing the bottom out clearance...

This is what the clearance looks like at the seat tube with a 27.5x2.25 Ardent... Not sure now if I can run offset bushings. Thoughts ??? To me thats about as close as you want to go without taking into account flex in the frame or wheels...

Yes, my shock is bottomed out, i appear to have a bit of extra shaft ("that's what she said").

Thinking I might need to turn it into an HDR650b and reduce the shock travel instead of using offset bushes to lower the BB. 😒 For the cost of one set of bushes maybe its worth a try??

No ride report as this thing is yet to see the dirt unfortunately.

*3o3
  • 03-29-2016
    starship303
    Oh and Pike is a 150mm 👍
  • 03-29-2016
    rugbyred
    Starship,
    What size shock are you using? Are you also using the proper limbo chips?
    Eric
  • 03-29-2016
    starship303
    Hi Eric, its the standard HD140 shock on the 140 chips (bike was originally bought as HD140, though I ran it as HD160 coil for some time too so have those chips as well). The HD140 shock is 7.875" x 2.0" or 200mm x 50mm (same as Mojo or SLR).

Its a 2012 (142mm rear) frame BTW, you can see the extra little bit of seat tube clearance doing its thing in the last pic. 👍

I've also got a Vorsprung Corset on the way to replace the Fox can too, so will re-test bottom out with that (though obviously shouldn't change things!).

*3o3
  • 03-31-2016
    Scooby349
    Quote:

No ride report as this thing is yet to see the dirt unfortunately.

*3o3

I would appreciate, if you could give a ride report, when you can.
    I have HD160mm, which i may convert to 150/140mm 650B
    I have 160mm Fox 34 26" fork, which could be shortened to 150mm.
    Then i would need limbo chips and 200x50 shock and wheelset.
    I just am not sure, if this conversion is worth it and would like to know more.
  • 03-31-2016
    rugbyred
    Starship,
    Thanks for the info.
    Eric
  • 04-01-2016
    starship303
    No worries, will do. Having a newborn now means my riding time is cut to basically zero which is why I've not turned these 650b wheels under pedal power yet... Will get there eventually.

Also, something else arrived in the mail yesterday...

• 04-03-2016
    allen mueller
    Quote:

Yes, my shock is bottomed out, i appear to have a bit of extra shaft ("that's what she said").

The 7.875 x 2 if i recall correctly is just a 7.875 x 2.25 shock with a .25 internal spacer added to limit the stroke.

AL
  • 05-17-2016
    starship303
    Well I finally had a chance to get out on the HD650b, and although there is still some fiddling to do with suspension setup, this thing felt great!

[/URL]

This was a brilliant chance to work out the differences just a wheel and fork change can make going from 26" to 27.5". I ran the same spec tyres (2.3 HR2 front, Ardent 2.25" rear) which also helped. Although I dropped a decent amount of weight from its previous 170/160 coil setup, its essentially now sitting at the same weight as it was in HD140 guise, the way I rode it for the majority of its life.

Anyway below are some interesting observations...

Parts changed:

Fork - from a 2012 150mm Revelation RLT Ti 20mm maxle (or a 170mm Marzocchi 66RCX 20mm thru axle) to a 150mm Pike RCT3 Solo Air 15mm maxle lite.

Wheels - from 26" Easton Haven to 27.5" LightBicycle 35mm ext (30mm int) AM carbon rims on DT Swiss 350's (with 36t star ratchet upgrade).

Tyres - HR2 2.3 fr, Ardent 2.25 rr (same tyres just different dia.).

Clearance:

This it's an easy one - no clearance issues! Remember this is just a fork and wheel change, no other geometry was (yet) harmed in the making of this 6-fiddie... The guys at Ibis say it works set as a HD140 wothout any mods, and it's the thruth.

Clearance on bottom out as posted previously... (with OEM HD140 limbo chips and shock)

Acceleration:

Due to the lighter wheelset (1480g vs 1650g) it was always going to accelerate a bit better, and it does! Physics may suggest that the larger wheel should slow it down in this department, but I guess wheel weight trumps wheel size in this case! Out of corners in particular I noticed the added acceleration. Combined with the lighter feeling front end it seemed to pop out of corners better than ever before! (heavier fork + lighter wheel seems to feel lighter than a lighter fork + heavier wheel of equivalent weight... If that makes sense? Makes sense from a physics perspective, lever arm/moment/etc).

Cornering:

On entry into and through the corner I could definitely feel additional grip. The salesmen are right! 😨😉 Of course, my rims are quite a bit wider so that could have attributed to the added grip as well, along with added stiffness of the wheels. One drawback I felt from this conversion was the higher BB. From memory mine measures bang on 14" static, so I was running a little more sag to compensate. It wasn't a deal breaker by any means, but it was there in the flatter corners. I had always planned on installing offset bushings to counter this (along with shortening the travel slightly, making it essentially an HDR), but wanted to test the bike first beforehand. Turns out, yep I prefer a lower BB. The added pedal clearance was however a bonus on a trail with lots of little rocky pedal snags. I could just motor through sections that I would have normally had to time my pedal stokes.

Change of direction/playfulness/jumping:

Wow! This was something I was a little worried about as I find the HD a very playful bike, its why I'm still riding it over 4 years later. I guess this all comes down to wheel weight, but the bike felt more playful than previous! Even jumping felt more comfortable, and that's coming from someone who tends to prefer keeping pretty close to terra firma.

Climbing:

Better through the rough climbs, no real disadvantage on smooth climbs. Not much else to say but win win!

All in all, stoked! It should only get better from here with the Corset can to go in along with offset bushes! 😁

Cheers

*3o3
  • 05-17-2016
    starship303
    Few more pix as it is the build thread after all...

Any questions, shoot. �

*3o3
  • 05-17-2016
    crconsulting
    Quote:

Few more pix as it is the build thread after

Bike looks great, I kinda miss my Vit P.
    Give that Vorsprung air can a try, It should give you a little smoother ride over the small bumps. Overall I think it's a pretty cheap upgrade for the CTD.
  • 05-31-2016
    Scooby349
    My friend came for a coffee with Trek Stache...
    Just a moment later

and result

Click for better pictures

:eekster:
  • 11-17-2016
    imkick
    My mojo
  • 12-14-2016
    yem999
    I have a 2014 HDR 27.5 with the rockshox rtc3 front fork. Just bought the seals to service the fork and to change the travel to 150mm. Have any of you done this to your bike any noticeable difference, pros and cons?
  • 01-10-2017
    ictire
    Would anyone have rear wheel clearance pics of an HD running 27.5?

Thanks.
  • 01-11-2017
    yem999
    Im running a maxxis ardent 2.25 front and rear and its clear but I personally wouldn't go bigger, seems like a rock can easily get lodged between.
  • 01-11-2017
    yem999
    Mojo hdr 2014, 27.5
  • 04-19-2017
    wakebrdr142
    3 Attachment(s)
    Here's an update to this sweet old ride! New Eagle to replace the old Shimano 3x XT drive train. Also trying out some new Minion DHF 2.5's on the front and rear. I was previously running Hans Dampf all around and loved them. They could be a little tougher though. We'll see how the new treads compare.
  • 04-20-2017
    OLEAJE
    wakebrdr142,Could you tell me the configuration of your drivetrain?
    1 X12?
    1 x 11?
    64BCD or 104BCD ??
    Thanks in avance !!
  • 04-20-2017
    wakebrdr142
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OLEAJE View Post
    wakebrdr142,Could you tell me the configuration of your drivetrain?
    1 X12?
    1 x 11?
    64BCD or 104BCD ??
    Thanks in avance !!

It's all SRAM Eagle XX1. Their new 1X12 system.
    Eagle XX1 175mm GXP Crank/32 Chainring
    Eagle XX1 Derailleur/Chain/Shifter

Had my first ride on it today and I simply love it. Such an improvement and very quiet. Sorry I'd have to look up the BCD. Picture attached is the previous configuration.
    This is my second ride on the DHF tires. First ride: I wasn't thrilled with these tires. The trail was full of fallen leaves and pine needles and the Hans Dampf was better in the corners in these conditions. Today the trail was dirt and the tires hooked up really well in the corners. Better than the Hans. Rolling resistance is slightly better with the DHF tires. Overall, I'm really liking them.
  • 06-11-2017
    imkick
    My mojo