mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Mojo HD maxle threading problem with new wheels

I found this previous thread:

Anyone have trouble threading in Mojo HD rear maxle?

My problem threading in the maxle on the girlfriend's HD is a bit more severe. It was stiff enough on the wheels that have previously been used on the bike, but with a new set of wheels it is impossible to thread the axle. I have removed the dropout/hanger and tested the alignment against the wheel. The combination of wheel and dropout/hanger is enough to cause the problem.

Obviously this sounds like the wheel has introduced the problem which is why I mention that it was marginal but just about bearable with the old wheels. It seems to me that it is a tolerance problem between the dropout and the 142x12 wheel adaptors. I'm therefore interested in whether I can fix this by finding a more tolerant dropout/hanger rather than machining the spacer. The problem has been common to two sets of wheels that work perfectly fine on other 142x12 bikes (Fulcrum Red Zone XLR and Reynolds Carbon AM). It is beginning to look like the Ibis dropout is the common factor.

Does this problem vary from dropout to dropout?

Does the Ibis dropout attempt to gain assembly stiffness from an intentionally tight tolerance to the axle support guide in the dropout?

Has anybody else used the same wheels on an HD without problem?
    Last edited by petercarm; 12-17-2012 at 03:13 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The 142 system's ridges are there to aid in putting the wheel on. The main support is done by the axle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm View Post
    I found this previous thread:

Anyone have trouble threading in Mojo HD rear maxle?

Does the Ibis dropout attempt to gain assembly stiffness from an intentionally tight tolerance to the axle support guide in the dropout?

Has anybody else used the same wheels on an HD without problem?
    Drop us an email and we'll send out a new drop out hanger with a little bigger hole in it. Alternately, if you have the tools, if you increase the diameter by .5 mm it will go together much easier. It was an arbitrarily tight tolerance, but easy to fix!

Take care,

H

hans@ibiscycles.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the responses.

I've taken everything apart and had the verniers measuring everything. It looks like the 142x12 spacer on the drive side of the wheel axle is oversize at 19.4mm. I'd have been expecting it to be a straightforward 19.0mm.

The OD on the spacer prevents it sitting properly in the hanger. All very obvious when you get around to measuring everything.

I'm in discussions with the LBS from whom I bought the wheels and they are in discussions with the importer. Should get a result.

Hans,

Any chance you could verify what the axle diameter tolerance that Ibis work to should be? The wheel didn't fit the back end of a Devinci Dixon but did fit a Yeti SB-66.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sorted by machining the drive side spacer. All good now and no issue with any of the Ibis componentry.