mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Mojo HD + Lefty?

I have had a Cannondale Rize for 4 years, and everything is beginning to wear out at an accelerating pace. I can still ride, but maintenance is becoming rate-limiting. I'd rather spend my time riding instead of replacing brakes/cranks/bearings/etc all weekends. Hence I am considering buying a new bike.

For many reasons I want to get away from Cannondale (very unpleasant European customer service, severe QC issues with cranks, etc.). I have set my eyes on the Ibis Mojo HD.

On the other hand, I love the Lefty fork. Hence I would like to buy a Mojo HD frame and put a Lefty Carbon 2013 on it. Can you advise me on (1) whether this is a good/bad idea, (2) what needs to be purchased to make the two fit, and (3) if any of you has done the same, what are your experiences.

many thanks in advance

mtbr member
    You can buy a tapered adapter. Personally I think the head angle would be too steep. What's the A/C measurement of the Lefty? I have seen some Mojo's on here with Lefty's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have not personally worked with this guys, but they are Lopes mechanics. They do some great work on Mojo's, they could probably assist with this. They are "TheBikeCompany"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I did a Lefty on My Mojo SL... the HD might be a little unbalanced at 160mm rear travel and the Lefty Max at 140mm... but if you did the 140 version you should be sweet!

A2C is spec'd at 510mm, I measure 507mm... but I have not reset the bearings in a while...

Mine looked like this (scroll down below the Tallboy...)

My Lefty bikes HERE

Cheers,
    B
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade View Post
    I did a Lefty on My Mojo SL... the HD might be a little unbalanced at 160mm rear travel and the Lefty Max at 140mm... but if you did the 140 version you should be sweet!

A2C is spec'd at 510mm, I measure 507mm... but I have not reset the bearings in a while...

Mine looked like this (scroll down below the Tallboy...)

My Lefty bikes HERE

Cheers,
    B
    If the OP were to go the route of a Lefty, I would think that he would want to opt for the 140 Limbo chip in the the rear to keep the travel matched front/rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks everybody for your thoughts. The travel options for the 2013 Lefties are apparently 90, 100, and 130mm. I would go for this one, as I like the idea of having a remote lock. I do not mind having a bit more travel in the back than in the front. Comments are very welcome!

Dibbs, what do you mean when you say that the head angle would be too steep? Is that because the Lefty is shorter than conventional forks? Do you believe that the stability of the bike on steep downhills may be compromised? Sorry for the naive questions, I am not (yet) really into the finesses of bike geometry!
    Last edited by adriano; 01-06-2013 at 01:52 AM.

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    Thanks everybody for your thoughts. The travel options for the 2013 Lefties are apparently 90, 100, and 130mm. I would go for this one, as I like the idea of having a remote lock. I do not mind having a bit more travel in the back than in the front. Comments are very welcome!

Dibbs, what do you mean when you say that the head angle would be too steep? Is that because the Lefty is shorter than conventional forks? Do you believe that the stability of the bike on steep downhills may be compromised? Sorry for the naive questions, I am not (yet) really into the finesses of bike geometry!
    I really think that anything less than 140mm up front is doing the HD frame an injustice. We are talking about a frame that can take up to a 180mm fork. It's whole purpose is to be able to build a longer travel bike that can still climb similarly to an XC rig. I personally have 140 in the rear and 150 up front, and am glad that I ended up with a 150 fork rather than the 140 I originally intended upon. If you really want to go the route of a 130 Lefty, you might look into the SL-R instead of the HD. It's about a pound lighter and a little bit steeper head angle. Still extremely capable, just not as burly as the HD.

Just my honest option.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Very good point, gbug. I am not a big "downhiller", I actually prefer climbs to descents! So, you really think I should opt fo the SL-R, eh? Are there any disadvantages to this choice? What are the implications of the steeper head angle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    One thing I keep in mind is that 140mm Fox Fork does not travel a true 140mm unless set up way too soft. My Lefties get FULL travel and the ride much more plush. IMO the Lefty 130 would have same/similar travel to a 140 Fox.... if you think the axle to crown height is OK.
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    For the riding you describe the SL-R is a much better choice.

insert sarcasm here
    Adriano, have you made a decision on an HD or SL-R?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not really. I agree with your point that the SL-R may be a better fit to my riding. However, I am scared by the steep head angle! I am 52-yr old medical doctor and, as you probably also know, bone density starts declining at age 40 - I wouldn't want to go flying upside-down and break all my expensive bones because of the head angle...

So, for the time being I am sticking to my Cannondale Rize Carbon (summer) and Yeti Alloy (winter, with a customized frame and studded tires).

I still love the Mojo's silhouette - but I am holding out and hoping that something as light and beautiful but slightly less aggressive comes out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would think you are a good candidate for the trail build of the HD.
    With a Fox 34 CTD 160mm.
    Climb like a goat and still have slack geometry for going downhill.

Too Much Fun
    No. Just don't. Don't put a Lefty on an HD. You are doing a disservice to the bike and yourself. Get an SL-R if you must stick with the Lefty.
    - -benja- -

insert sarcasm here
    Whats the head tube angle on your Rize? SL-R with a Lefty would be about 69.5, certainly not the steepest out there.

mtbr member
    SL-R with an Angleset would be my recommendation. If you are going HD then go 140 with at least a 34 or Revelation. Fox has redone their air springs are supposed to be much less progressive. If you go HD 160 then get a 36/Lyrik/Vengance. BTW it climbs great in 160 mode, just as well as 140.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The head-tube angle for the 2009 Rize is spec'ed as 68.5 and the 2010+ RZ 140 at 68. I will likely put on a Lefty on my SL-R eventually and I already have an Angleset installed to slack it out 1, with the Fox Float 140 32mm 2013 model fork.
    Last edited by DRSpalding; 02-24-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would have thought angle set also would take care of the HA issue on the SLR but I'm not sure it can work with a Lefty fork (no idea what the steerer tube size is on that thing). Hey, you could run a nice big 650B wheel up front and that would slack it out about a degree and improve the roll over.

The guys at Works Components might have something that might fit or could possibly even custom make something.

Works Components - Angle Headsets to fit Most Frame Types & CNC Bicycle Components Proudly Made in the UK
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    The head-tube angle for the 2009 Rize is spec'ed as 68.5 and the 2010+ RZ 140 at 68. I will likely put on a Lefty on my SL-R eventually and I have an Angleset adjust to slack it out 1 already, with the Fox Float 140 32mm 2013 model fork.
    Now, this is extremely useful and interesting. Thank you all for digging out the angle specs.

So, you are saying that I am already riding at 68.5, and gbug says the SL-R with Lefty would give ca. 69.5. That doesn't sound like a huge difference!

I'd rather stay away from the angleset if at all possible, since I read mixed reviews of that contraption (creaking noises etc.).

mtbr member
    May 2005

No need to worry with the Works Components angle set

I'd rather stay away from the angleset if at all possible, since I read mixed reviews of that contraption (creaking noises etc.).
    You're thinking the Cane Creek angle set which if not installed just right can have issues.

The Works Components is totally sound and I've yet to read of any issues. You do have to pick the degree you want and it's set....and probably why it's so reliable and without issue.

SLR with the 130 Lefty and a 650B would be a great start. Add angle set as needed. That would be a trail ripper and climbing fool IMO.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b