mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Mojo HD gets Vivid Air'd at Rockshox Ride Experience

Yesterday I drove over Hertitage Park near Athens, GA to finally try out the Rockshox Vivid Air on my Mojo HD. Since I am already running the outstanding Cane Creek DB- Air I thought it would be a good comparison.

Mike was the friendly RS tech who set me up a with a Lyric Air and the Vivid, I really wanted to try the Lyric coil instead but they weren't available.
    I let him set everything up and didn't pay much attention.

The Vivid Air really impressed me with how well it soaked up pretty much everything I threw at it. It kind of had that super plush motocross rear suspension feel I've been trying to find.

Bigger hits were no problem at my 215 without equip. weight, more like I would think a coil would feel but I haven't been on one yet. I had no issues going up hill which I though might be the case with the rear being so active. You can see the Shock O-ring is close to the end of travel in the photo.

I really didn't think I would be this impressed after riding the BD-Air now for several weeks.

I meant to go back for further adjustments but kind of spent way too much time in the trails and was way over my allotted time.

I'd definitely would like to try the Vivid Air for a much longer test as now I'm kinda hooked.

Big thanks to Mike and Rockshox for setting this up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I had the exact same experience as you. The RS rear shock completely transformed the bike. What were your thoughts on the Lyrik?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I had the exact same experience as you. The RS rear shock completely transformed the bike. What were your thoughts on the Lyrik?
    That is good to hear.

The optimal set up for me would have been the RockShox Lyrik DH Coil with the Vivid Air.

The lyric seemed to be a solid fork, felt stiff and it started out plush but 2 hours later it had some stiction going on. Mike said it was brand new out of the box so maybe that was the cause.

I'm used to my Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti so it's a hard benchmark to beat.

Here is a well written review on the 2011 RockShox Lyrik Solo Air RC2DH 160/170 mm.

Rock Shox Lyric RC2 DH | NSMB.e.MAGAZINE - Freeride, Extreme and North Shore style Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I can get a set of 55 RC3 ti for a good price (s/h) worth a punt MB?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The rear shock I am looking for is something that is a lot plusher on square edge rough stuff.
    Even with the RS Vivid coil I feel like I am being pinged about on some sections.
    Thoughts? Would either the CCBD Air or Vivid air get me what I am after?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
    I can get a set of 55 RC3 ti for a good price (s/h) worth a punt MB?
    All long as it's 2011 or later I would go for it, 11 has better adjustment dials.

Best Suspension Forks Of 2011 - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
    The rear shock I am looking for is something that is a lot plusher on square edge rough stuff.
    Even with the RS Vivid coil I feel like I am being pinged about on some sections.
    Thoughts? Would either the CCBD Air or Vivid air get me what I am after?
    Are you on a Mojo HD?

Is your coil properly set up?

I feel the DB- Air is the benchmark for all mountain riding but if you do heavier type of stuff then maybe go for the Vivid Air.
    Only way to know is to try both.

Check out this video, they compare the vivid coil to the air.
    RockShox Vivid Air Rear Downhill Shock.

Introducing RockShox Vivid Air Rear Downhill Shock - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbikerguy View Post

I feel the DB- Air is the benchmark for all mountain riding but if you do heavier type of stuff then maybe go for the Vivid Air.
    [/url]
    You managed to decimate any potential credibility in one sentence.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwdrums00 View Post
    You managed to decimate any potential credibility in one sentence.
    Seems like you're a big fan of the Cane Creek DB as well.

Get a CCDB and be done with it.
    Fox DHX 5.0 Coil on an Uzzi - not very impressed

MPI
    mtbr member
    I have both but havenīt had enough time to make a decent comparison. Vivid Air was good until I blew it in last enduro race. Just only two rides with CCDBA and still tuning it. It is not bad either.

BR
    MPI
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MPI View Post
    I have both but havenīt had enough time to make a decent comparison. Vivid Air was good until I blew it in last enduro race. Just only two rides with CCDBA and still tuning it. It is not bad either.

BR
    MPI

Oh cool, I would like to hear more as you gain more ride time on both.

What amount of sag are you running on the DB-Air?

mtbr member
    Thanks for coming to check it out, Joe! Next time, we'll dump a few psi out of the fork before you ride. I think that would have done it.

mk

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I got to take the DBair out to Moab last weekend and the harshness of Procupine Rim forced me to spend a good bit of time with adjustments. I'm 185lbs+ with nothing on. I started off with 135psi; zero HS Comp and a few clicks of LS Comp. It felt like crap in the chunk and did a poor job on larger drops; it never would get even close to full travel and it felt wooden.

By the time I got to the bottom of Porc I was at ~120psi, a couple of turns of HS Comp and LS Comp roughly where it started. It isn't perfect, yet, but it feels MUCH better. Still need to play with the rebound; that should help high speed mid-size stuff which isn't prefect yet.

The DBair is designed for the damper to be doing a lot of work; that is very apparent after a long weekend of riding in the desert. Hefty sag. I've got no volume strips in mine.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Thanks for coming to check it out, Joe! Next time, we'll dump a few psi out of the fork before you ride. I think that would have done it.

mk
    Cool, or maybe try the coil next time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Another Vivid air review.

I wouldn't believe anyone that hasn't tried both. Most reviews are from those that like what the bought.

That said, I recently (with the last two weeks) tested 4 shocks on one bike.

I have a new carbon nomad. I also am a signals analysis engineer, working nor proper dampening... From an electrical point of view, but the principles are the same.

I tested a Dhx 5.0 air, RC4, rp23, and a vivid air. I ran different settings on each to get it as dialed in as possible. Sag was the same on all. I am not a RS fan typically, hence all the fox shocks I own.

I'll spare the reviews for those that you don't mention, unless you'd like me to elaborate.

rp23: brand new 2012 Kashima coated shock. Nice shock! For the nomad platform, it did better than the Dhx. Most small bump absorption was still a little harsh, despite modifying the rebound and compression,mi couldn't get this smoother no matter what. I removed the air a little, and got better small bump absorption, but at the cost of blowing through travel faster. Bigger hits were nice, but again you need to increase the compression dampening to get that endless feel; but at the cost of no small bump compliance.

Dhx 5.0 air. A 2010 model, recently serviced. I struggled with this shock on my original nomad. With the piggy back air chamber, this helped the small bump compliance balance out with the big hit category ( see above). However, when I stepped on the gas, the larger air chamber gave me some odd kickback on the bike. I could minimize this with by making the top air chamber a little smaller in volume ( bottom out setting makes it more or less progressive). This was my first really good shock I had on my original nomad... But I hadn't ridden anything else.

Vivid air: I had the ability to test one of these shocks out last fall on my original nomad. I was a complete skeptic. RS doesn't make good shocks, right? Fox is the defecto standard. I opened up and tried it out, trying to keep an open mind.
    This shock is simply amazing. When it first started my ride, I swear I thought my tires were going flat. I checked the, twice. What it was, was the incredibly smooth small bump absorption. Once is figured that out, I thought it might not be in the right sag setting. Hmmm, duped again. The sag was still as we had set it up. This was completely new compared to both the rp23 and the Dhx air. I started with some technical up hills. Usually my fox shocks lose their travel, and lose traction over the small bumps when the shock was compressed into half it's travel (cg is mostly on the rear tire). The vivid air simply did as advertised.... It smoothed out the ups even when the terrain was rocky. I had many firsts and dab less technical uphills compared to my fox. This is too good to be true, right?
    On the flats, I stomped on the pedals. I got very little feedback. Nomads are famous for this, and the shock did give me some of that, but not as much. The fox's can overcome that by switching the stable platform settings, but at the cost of traction in the rock piles.
    When I turned the thing downhill, this was where the shock is really supposed to perform. Nothing could beat my RC4... So I thought. The air was a little too high, Suomi took out 10 psi. The rebound was packing up, so I clicked that back by a click or two from the initial settings. All was good. The shock tracked better than any coil I had tried! Unbelievable. The new settings held their ground when doing the last few climbs. Simply put, this shock did it all. I was expecting a worse performance out of this shock tha the Dhx air. But I was completely wrong.

In the end, I simply couldn't believe it. The RS surpassed my expectations. I feel horrible, beause I had just bought an RC 4 a few months prior. I had signed up for the rock shox experience to test new forks, but the RS guys insisted I try the vivid air.

I ran all four shocks on my 2012 nomad just for fun. The best to worst performing shocks in my opinion are below.
    1. Vivid air
    2. RC 4 (the coil is awesome, but it's heavy'. I need a spring between the two they offer)
    3. Rp23
    4. DHX 5.0 air

I just sold my new rp23 and Dhx. I'm now thoroughly convinced that fox is a marketing machine and does well with marginally performing shocks.

I just recently (yesterday) took delivery on another vivid Air to replace my RC 4 on my Santa Cruz v10. I'll keep my RC 4's around for certain conditions. But this shock is the best one I've tested yet.

I've heard great things about the monarch, and still want to test out the cane creek double barrel
    FOX DHX Air 5.0 or Rock Shox Vivid air ?

Team Sanchez
    I ran both the Fox RP23 and RS Vivid air on my Carbon Nomad. The Vivid air was a huge improvement over the RP23 in terms of small bump and big hit performance, but in the chunk the nomad always felt like crap. The rear end just wouldn't track well or keep up in the deep chunk. This became super evident to me when halfway down porcupine rim I jumped on my buddy's DW 5-spot with Push'd Monarch RT3. That bike's rear end blew my nomad out of the water. I immediately sold the Nomad and got a Mojo HD 160 with a Monarch Plus. The mojo tracked so much better than the nomad. VPP is a huge load of hype. I recently got the monarch plus push'd, and it is now on par with my 5-spot experience. Super plush in the deep chunder. Pedals super well despite no propedal. Blows thru it's travel easier, but that is to be expected considering that fact that I told Push that I wanted to be as plush as possible.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon View Post
    I ran both the Fox RP23 and RS Vivid air on my Carbon Nomad. The Vivid air was a huge improvement over the RP23 in terms of small bump and big hit performance, but in the chunk the nomad always felt like crap. The rear end just wouldn't track well or keep up in the deep chunk. This became super evident to me when halfway down porcupine rim I jumped on my buddy's DW 5-spot with Push'd Monarch RT3. That bike's rear end blew my nomad out of the water. I immediately sold the Nomad and got a Mojo HD 160 with a Monarch Plus. The mojo tracked so much better than the nomad. VPP is a huge load of hype. I recently got the monarch plus push'd, and it is now on par with my 5-spot experience. Super plush in the deep chunder. Pedals super well despite no propedal. Blows thru it's travel easier, but that is to be expected considering that fact that I told Push that I wanted to be as plush as possible.
    Interesting to read. I just rode Porcupine last week on my HD with an RP23. The shock felt great on the drops and square edge stuff. It felt kinda crappy on the rocky chunder that is Porcupine. My body was feeling pretty twapped by the end of it (probably had nothing to do with the 5 days of riding in Fruita leading up to it ). Wouldn't mind changing the suspension around this year and either testing out the Vivid or Monarch.

mtbr member
    The RP23 works great as long as it is simple drops, ledges, etc. In chunk with fast repetitive hits the RP23 spikes after the shock heats up. It does not track nearly as well as the Monarch or Vivid in this type of riding.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The RP23 works great as long as it is simple drops, ledges, etc. In chunk with fast repetitive hits the RP23 spikes after the shock heats up. It does not track nearly as well as the Monarch or Vivid in this type of riding.
    What's the price/performance difference between the vivid air and monarch? Yes, I could do a Google search, but I'm on my phone. I'd also be curious what people have to say between the two.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Tech Tuesday - RockShox Vivid Air Tuning

Tech Tuesday - RockShox Vivid Air Tuning - Pinkbike.com

Real Life Comparison: Vivid Air and Vivid Coil

Real Life Comparison: Vivid Air and Vivid Coil - Features - Vital MTB
    Last edited by mbikerguy; 05-15-2012 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Lev, the Monarch Plus is a scaled down version of the Vivid in terms of damping but the Vivid Air is a linear shock, just like a coil spring. The Monarch Plus is a trail bike shock whereas the Vivid is more fr and dh for sure.

For setup on the Vivid Air, you have to set the air pressure, cycle the shock to equalize the negative spring then check it again. It's odd but easy to deal with. Don't try to set up sag without cycling the shock a few times. Yes, you can do this on the bike. After you have the sag set, start with the damping.

mk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    how can i sign up for the rockshox experience? i'm on a HD 160 with the rp23 kash and fox 36 talas, i've been trying to dial out the rear shock to be more 'plush' or take square edge hits better but haven't really got it yet, the RS experience sounds perfect for me

2012 Ride Experience | SRAM

the site here links me to a dead link

any ideas? i'm in the bay area/california

thanks

mtbr member
    Here is the link that has the schedule. No NorCal dates on there yet.

2012 Ride Experience | SRAM

You should email andyontheroad at sram dot com. Andy's got the other RockShox Ride Experience van out west. He's based in OR but doing OR, CA, WA, AZ events. I can't find my oh-fee-shul copy of the calendar that goes through the end of the year. I'll keep poking around for it. I mean, I have my schedule handy, just not his.

mk