mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Mojo HD: Front derailleur advice

Hi all,
    I have a recently acquired HD and am having a hard time setting up the front derailleur. I just bought a shimano direct mount M771. The back of the derailluer (spring pivot) hits the seat tube when set for the 22 tooth granny. if I adjust the set screw so it doesn't hit the seat tube, there's no way the chain will shift down to the small ring.

It looks like I need another front D that has more room behind it (a 10 speed perhaps?), or put 3 bb spacers on the drive side to move the crank further out. This seems like a hack and not really good for the bb shell.

I have an XT 9 speed crank and a full SRAM XO 9 speed drivetrain that works perfectly fine ( with the exception of the frame clearance issue). This "budget build" is beginning to nickle and dime me to death and I'm really not looking to drop for a whole 10 speed drivetrain.

Can anyone recommend a front D with enough clearance that can handle a 22/32 front setup?

If 2x9 setup on this frame is a proven no-go, I might ditch the front and consider a 30 t middle ring and a 12-36 cassette.

mtbr member
    i remember having this issue, eventually ended up grinding bit of the cage, ultimately got rid of it and never looked back
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

aka dan51
    2X9 works for sure. I converted my XT triple to 2X9 years ago and have been fine. 2 spacers on the drive side, 1 on the left.
    I don't recall having to grind anything down, but it was 2+ years ago I put on the direct mount der. I'll check tomorrow.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    I also converted my HD to 2x9 with shimano XT 3 speed crank and m771 direct mount front derailuer. I had no contact or clearance issues. Are you setting the height of the derailuer as if there was a large chainring? That's how I did mine, and just adjusted the limit screw so it wouldn't adjust past the middle ring. If you can't get it to work there is nothing wrong with taking a dremel to the derailuer, I've done it before.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I tried mounting the M771 at all kinds of heights. I have dremeled off the bottom pull arm, and a small piece of the back of the chain cage ( I didn't have to but wanted more clearance with the lower pivot link). Unfortunately, the piece I would need to dremel to bring the cage more inboard is the metal swing pivot itself. This would make the part inoperable.

When I look from the back of my frame, the seatpost flares out to left and right, almost as if an extra layer of carbon was added here. This is the part causing intererence.

i'll take some pics tonight. D-bug, it would be really helpful if you could tell me what Front D you're running.

I just priced out a 1x10 drivetrain, and did not like the total at all, so I'm hoping to make this work. I gave up on the 1x9 (11-36) idea when I saw Shimano makes the only 9-speed cassette with 36t, and that it destroys freehub bodies.

aka dan51
    I did have to cut something off mine. It was a top/bottom pull (I think) and the bottom pull part was hitting the frame when in the small ring position.
    Mojo HD: Front derailleur advice-img_1301.jpg

This one shows the approximate size/location of what I cut off.
    Red is outline of piece, yellow is the cut location.
    Mojo HD: Front derailleur advice-img_1302.jpg
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for posting the photos d-bug. I also cut off that down pull arm. Can you tell me if your front D is a 9or 10 speed model? It looks like my 9 speed model, but I can't get my cage even close to lining up with the 22t inner ring.

At this point, I wonder if my M771D is the wrong part. It doesn't specifically state " high mount" but wonder if I should be running a high mount 3x10 front d with the rest of my 9-speed drivetrain?

aka dan51
    Pretty sure mine is 9spd. I can't find a part number on it to clarify though.
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    just an update for anyone searching this in the future:
    I was able to grind down the back of the M771 derailluer to eek out a couple mm if inboard travel. This should give me some granny/rear combinations. I also talked with an Ibis rep who confirmed this frame is 3x9 compatible.

Unfortunately, I won't know until I get a reaplacement I9 12x142 axle. I was lucky enough to buy one that was made on a Friday afternoon, and not bored completely through. It allows the Maxle to go in half way.

Thanks to all for the help.