Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    683

    Mojo HD Direct mount mech help XTR

    Right I have ordered my Mojo HD 140 and I have seen the table of compatible mechs, it lists the FD-M981-D for the Mojo HD.

    However if only things were that simple! Shimano make 2 different styles of the XTR M981 D front mech, the FD-M981-D6A which is for chainstays with a angle between 66-69 deg and then the FD-M981-D6 (this one does not seem that widely available I dont think). Has anyone got any idea which one I should be buying or the box/receipt for the one they bought?

  2. #2
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Right I have ordered my Mojo HD 140 and I have seen the table of compatible mechs, it lists the FD-M981-D for the Mojo HD.

    However if only things were that simple! Shimano make 2 different styles of the XTR M981 D front mech, the FD-M981-D6A which is for chainstays with a angle between 66-69 deg and then the FD-M981-D6 (this one does not seem that widely available I dont think). Has anyone got any idea which one I should be buying or the box/receipt for the one they bought?

    Not sure where you found that, but Shimano makes the FD-M981 for a normal seatube mount and FD-M981-D (some variants are D6,etc.) which is for direct mount. Just order a FD-M981-D, anyplace online should have a picture of the product.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,266
    FDM981D6A is the one.

    Cheers!

    Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    49
    I am just finishing my Mojo HD build with a Shimano XTR M980 trail 3x10 crankset without the 42t ring (only 24/32). Which front derailleur do i need?
    Shimano XT Direct Mount "FD-M781-D 3x10" or "FD-M786-D 2x10"?

    Thanks,
    Martin

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    683
    I believe you would need the 3x10 one and limit it to only use the two inner rings.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,266
    Rick is correct.
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    49
    Thanks!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Rick is correct.
    H
    any idea what the biggest middle ring we can use on the hd with the xtr triple, but with a bash guard instead of the big ring, will the front mech clear the lower pivot if i run 24 36 bash with an xtr front mech?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cwkrause's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    101
    That is the setup I have (xtr triple FD, 24/36/bash on xtr cranks) on my HD and it works fine.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by cwkrause View Post
    That is the setup I have (xtr triple FD, 24/36/bash on xtr cranks) on my HD and it works fine.
    thanks for the reply, are you using a 3 speed direct mount front mech? did you have to modify it at all?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    49
    I just found out that there are two versions of xt 3x10 direct mount front mech:

    Shimano XT FD-M781-D6L Down-Swing 3x10 direct mount (dual pull)

    Shimano XT FD-M781-TD6L Down-Swing 3x10 direct mount (top pull)

    What's the difference? Exactly which one do i need?

    Thanks!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by martinzone View Post
    I just found out that there are two versions of xt 3x10 direct mount front mech:

    Shimano XT FD-M781-D6L Down-Swing 3x10 direct mount (dual pull)

    Shimano XT FD-M781-TD6L Down-Swing 3x10 direct mount (top pull)

    What's the difference? Exactly which one do i need?

    Thanks!
    Either one will work. The Top Pull will be a little cleaner and lighter weight.

    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    49
    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •