Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Mojo HD with a DB In-line review?

Looking for reviews from anyone who has thrown a Cane creek DB air inline on a mojo HD, specifically in 650b mode, 7.875x2" shock.
    Currently running the 8.5x2.5 bikeco shock and it is great, but wondering if this would be better.
    thanks

Team Chilidog!
    I'm interested too, but if I do it, it'll be with 26" wheels not 650b mode. I have to sell some other bike parts and a bike first. I also need to call Ibis and see if it fits the small HD.

What shock is the 8.5 x 2.5 bikeco shock?
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I'm interested too, but if I do it, it'll be with 26" wheels not 650b mode. I have to sell some other bike parts and a bike first. I also need to call Ibis and see if it fits the small HD.

What shock is the 8.5 x 2.5 bikeco shock?
    It's a custom tuned/valved marzochhi tst air.
    It's super plush, great small bump and mid travel support.
    In the short shock configuration the mojo should be a touch lower and slacker and the db inline looks to be lighter.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    It's a custom tuned/valved marzochhi tst air.
    It's super plush, great small bump and mid travel support.
    In the short shock configuration the mojo should be a touch lower and slacker and the db inline looks to be lighter.
    So yesterday I ordered my DBinline from the LBS. The shop owner rides an HDR 650B, but has also ridden the DBinline on it and is going to help me dial in the shock.

Once it comes in and gets installed, I'll post initial settings and feels. I plan on keeping my Monarch Plus as a backup shock, but heard really great things about the DBinline.

I called Ibis to confirm the DBinline fits a small HD, so I'm good to go.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    You know I ran a CCDBA and was able to tune out that last bit of suspension travel for my 160 mode 650B I figure I was getting about 151mm how I had it tuned. It felt natural enough to me. Perhaps it could be done with the inline shock as well?
    Pivot Mach 6
    Yeti SB95C
    1993 Brodie Expresso-For Sale
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    You know I ran a CCDBA and was able to tune out that last bit of suspension travel for my 160 mode 650B I figure I was getting about 151mm how I had it tuned. It felt natural enough to me. Perhaps it could be done with the inline shock as well?
    Hope so. I'll find out in a couple of weeks when mine comes in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have been running a CC inline on my small HD now for two weeks.
    Sag is set at 21mm as per the recommendation from Cane Creek. I am thinking of increasing it ever so slightly to maybe up to 25mm. I have been using the the base settings that the shock came with.
    HSC 2
    LSC 7
    HSR 2
    LSR 10
    My initial impressions are that it is over damped. But maybe it is because i am coming from a RP23 which seemed to offer no real damping.
    It feels harsh at low speeds and on small bumps, grip on off camber and flat corners is excellent. Which is somewhat of a surprise, considering how non responsive it feels.

High speed control is where this puppy comes into its own, it manages to maintain great composure whilst still using all the travel and not bottoming harshly. It seems to resist heat fade really well also. I am amazed at how well my HD now tracks at all speeds.

I will give it some more time at the current settings and try to ride it at places that i am familiar with to compare, but i am thinking if anything I will make some small changes to the low speed circuits.

In conclusion, after a brief time on the shock I can honestly say that it has transformed my suspension performance enough that I am no longer thinking of trying a new frame and will be staying on my HD for several more seasons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    nice review, Thanks!

Too Much Fun

Good job!

My CC Inline should be in tomorrow and I'm excited to compare it to the PUSH'd CTD Float on my HDR now...

Quote Originally Posted by squidonagixxer View Post
    High speed control is where this puppy comes into its own, it manages to maintain great composure whilst still using all the travel and not bottoming harshly. It seems to resist heat fade really well also. I am amazed at how well my HD now tracks at all speeds.
    ...and THAT is exactly what I'm hoping for too. I love my HDR650b, but there are times where the Float seems like it's just getting overwhelmed through the high-speed chunk. It feels great on the bigger hits etc, but the high speed stuff definitely ruffles it's feathers. First time I've had a PUSH tune that I didn't absolutely love. I don't fault them at all. It feels great much of the time.

In conclusion, after a brief time on the shock I can honestly say that it has transformed my suspension performance enough that I am no longer thinking of trying a new frame and will be staying on my HD for several more seasons.
    ...I like the sound of all of that!
    - -benja- -

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    My CC Inline should be in tomorrow and I'm excited to compare it to the PUSH'd CTD Float on my HDR now...

...and THAT is exactly what I'm hoping for too. I love my HDR650b, but there are times where the Float seems like it's just getting overwhelmed through the high-speed chunk. It feels great on the bigger hits etc, but the high speed stuff definitely ruffles it's feathers. First time I've had a PUSH tune that I didn't absolutely love. I don't fault them at all. It feels great much of the time.

...I like the sound of all of that!
    When it rains, it pours. Mine came in today. Mounted on the bike. Fits a small Mojo HD no issues. I did have to put it in with the controls facing downward so my shorts don't hook the air valve.

Initial setup:
    1.5 HSC (default is 2)
    5 LSC (default is 7
    2 HSR (default setting)
    10 LSR (default setting)
    165 PSI (based on my settings on my Monarch Plus)

Bouncing and rolling around the back yard, the initial things I noticed compared to the Monarch Plus are 1) much better mid-stroke support 2) it seems like a similar feel to the Metric.

There is much better mid-stroke that I'm wondering how much of the LSC I'll have to use in "climb mode". I was having to do that a lot with the Monarch Plus.

Initial easy test dirt tomorrow, will fine-tune the sag at that point.

Mojo HD with a DB In-line review?-photo-18-.jpg

Team Chilidog!
    I have been running a CC inline on my small HD now for two weeks.
    Sag is set at 21mm as per the recommendation from Cane Creek. I am thinking of increasing it ever so slightly to maybe up to 25mm. I have been using the the base settings that the shock came with.
    HSC 2
    LSC 7
    HSR 2
    LSR 10
    My initial impressions are that it is over damped. But maybe it is because i am coming from a RP23 which seemed to offer no real damping.
    It feels harsh at low speeds and on small bumps, grip on off camber and flat corners is excellent. Which is somewhat of a surprise, considering how non responsive it feels.
    squidonagixxer: did you install any volume reducers? I'm thinking of installing mine because of the bottom out issues, but I'll call CC tomorrow and see if I can get an answer first and see if it makes sense.

For anyone looking for how to install the volume reducers, instructions in this video here:
    Cane Creek DBinline Volume Spacer Installation - bturman - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    squidonagixxer: did you install any volume reducers? I'm thinking of installing mine because of the bottom out issues, but I'll call CC tomorrow and see if I can get an answer first and see if it makes sense.

For anyone looking for how to install the volume reducers, instructions in this video here:
    Cane Creek DBinline Volume Spacer Installation - bturman - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB
    Hey guys,

For anyone that is interested I have been tossing up whether to chuck a DB Inline or DB Air on my 26 HDR. As such I was in touch with Ibis and Scot was super helpful as always and advised they had done some earlier testing with the Inline on the HDR with the Cane Creek guys. He subsequently got them to email me the rough settings they arrived at. Here they are:

Sag 17mm
    1 large volume spacer
    HSC 3.0
    LSC 8
    HSR 2.25
    LSR 11

Cheers

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior01 View Post
    Hey guys,

For anyone that is interested I have been tossing up whether to chuck a DB Inline or DB Air on my 26 HDR. As such I was in touch with Ibis and Scot was super helpful as always and advised they had done some earlier testing with the Inline on the HDR with the Cane Creek guys. He subsequently got them to email me the rough settings they arrived at. Here they are:

Sag 17mm
    1 large volume spacer
    HSC 3.0
    LSC 8
    HSR 2.25
    LSR 11

Cheers
    So we're clear, these are for a 26" HDR using a DBinline right? The numbers for the DBair are very different than the DBinline. Either way, it sounds like it's a good idea to put in the large volume reducer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    So we're clear, these are for a 26" HDR using a DBinline right? The numbers for the DBair are very different than the DBinline. Either way, it sounds like it's a good idea to put in the large volume reducer.
    Hey mate,

Yeah they are the numbers they arrived at using the DB Inline for the 26 HDR. Take them for what they are I guess but can't hurt as a starting point.

The high speed numbers are very similar to what the base tune for the DB Air CS produces.

The low speed numbers are a bit different however also keeping in mind there are only 18 clicks on the inline as opposed to 25 on the Air CS.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the Inline tune using a large volume spacer.

So how did you come to choose the Inline over the Air CS Stripes? I'm just not sure which way to go. The Inline is 200 grams lighter and 200 bucks cheaper and according to some reports has a bit more sensitivity due to the use of a diaphragm rather than an IFP. So i'm leaning towards the Inline.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    @Stripes, yes I plan on running a volume reducer. As to what size I have no idea, just going to use good old trial and error. Hopefully I can find a good setup as I don't want to have to use anymore HSC to prevent it from bottoming out, I like the way the it feels now but want to go with more sag. Thus lowering the air pressure.
    BTW I am also on a small 26 HD. So glad we finally have a decent shock option for our frame.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior01 View Post
    Hey mate,

Yeah they are the numbers they arrived at using the DB Inline for the 26 HDR. Take them for what they are I guess but can't hurt as a starting point.

The high speed numbers are very similar to what the base tune for the DB Air CS produces.

The low speed numbers are a bit different however also keeping in mind there are only 18 clicks on the inline as opposed to 25 on the Air CS.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the Inline tune using a large volume spacer.

So how did you come to choose the Inline over the Air CS Stripes? I'm just not sure which way to go. The Inline is 200 grams lighter and 200 bucks cheaper and according to some reports has a bit more sensitivity due to the use of a diaphragm rather than an IFP. So i'm leaning towards the Inline.
    Cheers
    I have a small HD, so my options are rather limited. I've run both the Fox CTD and the Monarch Plus and they're both kinda meh. My husband is now running the CTD and happy with it, but that's wasn't my experience. Both the CTD and Monarch tend to wallow in the mid-stroke support, which is something the CCDBs have always had.

I ran a CCDBcoil on my Ventana for a while, and that was a great shock (even though it was heavy). I know how well their shocks can perform. So I'm good with the DBinline

Team Chilidog!

Initial shake down ride

Initial setup:
    1.5 HSC (default is 2)
    5 LSC (default is 7
    2 HSR (default setting)
    10 LSR (default setting)
    160 PSI (looks like about 20mm sag)
    Large (full) volume reducer

Overall, very very smooth. No power lost on climbing, even with the climbing switch all the way off. Other notes:
    - Climbing switch all the way enabled is really stiff, almost too stiff.
    - Landings are too harsh off small jumps
    - Chatter (like gravel) needs to be dialed in a bit more.
    - Didn't not bottom out the shock
    - Much better than the Monarch Plus on the bike.

Overall feel of the bike that's changed:
    - Bike is more responsive
    - Rear seems stiffer

To do:
    - Take out part of the volume reducer (maybe 3 of the "levels") to hopefully fix the landing issue
    - Test the shock with the climbing mode on 1/2 way setting. Even though it's infinite, it looks like there are 3 settings: on, off, and halfway.
    - Trail ride Saturday, see how it feels on rocks, roots, etc.

Talked to CC just now:
    - they confirmed that the harshness on landing is too many volume spacers in the rear shock. I'll take out 3 later today, leaving 2. Will test again on Saturday.
    Last edited by Stripes; 09-11-2014 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    I've run both the Fox CTD and the Monarch Plus and they're both kinda meh.
    Interesting. I switched from the stock CTD on my XL HD to a Monarch Plus and find it waaay better. Lots better on the mid-stroke in particular. Not surprised that you find the CC better though

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Hey Stripes. You can mount the shock with the CS up. Let all of the air out of the shock and you can rotate the air can to be in any position/orientation that you want it in.
    Pivot Mach 6
    Yeti SB95C
    1993 Brodie Expresso-For Sale
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Any riding impression updates?
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden View Post
    Any riding impression updates?
    Yeah, I kinda owe you that Sorry for the delay.

Took out 3 of the 5 levels of the volume reducers and the shock felt much better.

Rode it on a 16 mile ride on Saturday. It felt great on everything, even the climbs. I played around with the climb switch at various positions, but anything other than fully open felt harsh.

Trail consisted of roots, rocky sections, long climbs, and long descents. Good mix for testing the shock.

At one point of the ride I had to take air out of the rear tire because I was using tire pressure to compensate for the Monarch Plus--didn't need to do that for the DBinline.

Turns out that there was too much LSC compression enabled, and it's been backed off to 7 LSC (instead of the obscenely high it was set to), and it feels much better. It also means that the climb switch should actually work and not feel too harsh.

Turns out the 160 PSI in the shock was perfect. I'll ride it again tomorrow (possibly) and definitely Saturday and I should be able to give you updated settings.

Original settings:
    1.5 HSC (default is 2)
    11 LSC (default is suppose to be 7, but it looks like it was much higher right out of the factory)
    2 HSR (default setting)
    10 LSR (default setting)
    165 PSI (based on my settings on my Monarch Plus)
    Full 5 volume spacers

Current settings (changes in bold):
    1.5 HSC
    7 LSC, down from probably close to 11
    10 LSR
    2 HSR
    160 PSI, down from 165 PSI
    2 volume spacers

So out of all the settings, the changes from defaults from me are:
    1.5 HSC (original is 2)
    2 volume spacer

Also, had to adjust my X-Fusion metric to match more of the feel to the DBline:
    55psi
    4 HSC
    4 LSC
    rebound stayed the same (need to double check that)

Too Much Fun
    Stripes, have you been hitting any sizable drops with your HD/DBInline setup? Or anyone else?

I did an urban play ride last night and was doing some 2' to flat drops and thought I got some very mild rubbing on the seat tube (HDR650b - 27.5) with my Hans Dampf 2.25.

When I take all the air out of the shock it looks like I've got between 1/4 - 1/2" of space between the tire and the seat tube so wasn't expecting any rubbing. Would the rear end flex enough to rub?

DISCUSS.
    - -benja- -

Team Chilidog!
    Stripes, have you been hitting any sizable drops with your HD/DBInline setup? Or anyone else?

I did an urban play ride last night and was doing some 2' to flat drops and thought I got some very mild rubbing on the seat tube (HDR650b - 27.5) with my Hans Dampf 2.25.

When I take all the air out of the shock it looks like I've got between 1/4 - 1/2" of space between the tire and the seat tube so wasn't expecting any rubbing. Would the rear end flex enough to rub?

DISCUSS.
    Benja: are you running with any volume reducers? I think Ibis recommends the full set of reducers, but that didn't work for me with small jumps (opposite problem). The full thing (5) felt ridiculously harsh on small jumps.

I called CC and they said try between 2-3 reducers because otherwise the travel ramps up waaaaay too fast, and I'm doing great with 2. But now that you mention it, I think i felt a slight buzz after one of the jumps. Maybe I should increase it to 3.

How much PSI are you running? Maybe I should try increasing that to 165 lbs again and see if that changes it before increasing the spacers to 3.

I only do small launch jumps (maybe a foot high to flat), but I was told if I didn't run it with any reducers, I would blow right through the travel. From what I can tell, that's pretty accurate.

There seems to be a balance between feel and air pressure very much with this shock. I told CC about my issues running the LSC at 7 and not feeling like it was pedaling well, and they said to increase the PSI instead. Meh, LSC isn't a big change for the overall shock to me, so I upped it back to 11. I'm still going to increase the PSI to 165 from 160, as I think I like my suspension on this bike firmer than I liked it on the Ventana.

My current settings are listed below. Rider weight: 187 lbs + gear. HD with 26" wheels.

2 HSR (default setting)
    10 LSR (default setting)
    165 PSI (sag at 30%)
    1.5 HSC (default is 2)
    11 LSC (default is 7)
    Full 2 volume spacers.

I did try to run the LSC with only 7 clicks, but that made the bike too slow to pedal (yes, I'm a crappy pedaler), but it works great with 11.

Too Much Fun

Mojo HD with a DB In-line review?

I'm running full spacers and I'm pretty sure I was a bit under where I should have been with air pressure. Haven't done much besides set sag as I haven't had a proper ride yet, just playing around on it,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    - -benja- -

Team Chilidog!
    I'm running full spacers and I'm pretty sure I was a bit under where I should have been with air pressure. Haven't done much besides set sag as I haven't had a proper ride yet, just playing around on it,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The default setting except the LSC would probably be fine with me. I had no problem with the logs today with the rear shock (just the climbing). Fork was a different story. Gah, I hurt today from the high pressure in the fork.

I did a pedally ride today for 12-13 miles, and I found a few things out with my suspension, both fork and rear shock have some frustrations. And I absolutely hated both. I'm really hoping I just was having a bad day.

Fork (X-fusion Metric): too stiff. I can't get it right between too stiff and too soft. Going to see if taking 5psi off will help. Running 55 psi used to feel right, today it felt like a jackhammer. Tried running it with 50psi and that felt too soft. Gonna try it with 50psi again and see if that helps. Not sure if I should play with the HSC on the fork too.

Rear shock: OMG I felt like I couldn't pedal the bike at all--just felt like I was struggling. Not sure if it's the slow rear tire or if it's the LSC and LSR settings (11 LSC 10 LSR). I'll probably raise the LSC another 2-3 clicks and see if that will help my crappy pedaling legs. Everything else on the rear shock felt great with 165psi in the ack. Not sure if the rear shock felt like it was wallowing and if I need to give it a click or two of LSR too..

Next ride is Monday afternoon.. Will let you know then if it was just a bad day or if I can get things working right or not.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Stripes; 09-20-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast