mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Mojo HD and coil fork? opinions?

Hey guys,
    been running a coil on the rear of my HD and am frickin lovin it!
    now the next question...am thinking of running a coil on the front, but obviously have some concerns concerning efficency and front end weight- would be switching from a fox float 34...
    thoughts? who has done it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    34s main suck IMO.
    I have Zoche 55's and the new Vengence feel nice in either coil or air. New Pike though is insanely good by all accounts. Can't get them here though at mo

Team Chilidog!
    I'm running a 36 Van RC2 160mm in the front of my HD. You can actually special order them from Fox, but I converted by Float to a Van without any problems.

The other option I would be looking at is the Vengeance. They're 650B compatible as well as 26".
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I'm running a 36 Van RC2 160mm in the front of my HD. You can actually special order them from Fox, but I converted by Float to a Van without any problems.

The other option I would be looking at is the Vengeance. They're 650B compatible as well as 26".
    How do you find the van (might have access to a good deal on one)
    What is the ride height like? How does it ride? What is it like under pedalling?
    Thx mate

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom View Post
    How do you find the van (might have access to a good deal on one)
    What is the ride height like? How does it ride? What is it like under pedalling?
    Thx mate
    Love it. It's my favorite fork. It's very plush and it's not heavy (to me) at all. Absolutely not a fan of air forks.

Ride height is fine. The AtoC is 565mm AFAIK, which is fine. I don't have any issues wiht it under pedaling. Just make sure you enable some LSC.

However, it matches well with the Monarch Plus, and since I have a small frame, my shock options are rather limited.

aka dan51
    I've had a lyrik coil on mine for most of its life, and it's been great. Recently I got a vengeance hlr air and it's possibly better. I doubt I'll be putting the lyrik back on any tie soon. I think a vengeance hlr coil would be hard to beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I had a Lyrik coil on the front of my HD for the first year I owned it and loved it. I stumbled on a great deal on a Vengeance Air and decided to give it a try. I saved a tiny bit of weight going to an air fork, but if I had not stumbled on the Vengeance, I'd still have a coil fork. That being said, perhaps it's time to sell my Lyrik coil...hahaha.

Mtb Guide
    What DBug said, Im a big Pike fan but to match a coil shock is hard to beat another coil, that said if its a coil version of the Vengence Im running then it must be one hell of a fork, if pure perfromance is what you are after then imo/e nothing comes close.

When I put my Vector on the rear it was so smooth, pedals great, I can just let the bike have its head, the 34 was is no match!

Then I also put a Venegence HLR air ver on mine, wow, not only has it surpassed the 34, no contest btw, but now even my Vector feels like it has a inferiority complex yet I know its still working awesome!

The Veng is the smoothest yet best damped fork Ive ever been on, I can only imagine what the coil version is like!

If coil is your thing then youre probably not a weight weanie, go XF Veng. You wont be disapointed and may be very surprised by how bad other forks have actually been stock, esspecially if performance is top of your list.

Funny added bit more weight to the HD but Ive done more miles recently on bigger shock and fork than I did with the light setup and feels better, esp more XC, when things work right thats what makes the biggest difference to ride, not weight!

Also another option, Id also possibly consider the Metric. I tried to get one here but not yet available. I reckon that will be a killer fork, its also air!

Good luck, post what you do

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a marzocchi 55 rc3 coil on mine, it's loads better than the fix 36 talas 160mm fit fork I had on before.

Dissolved member
    I am another Lyrik (U-Turn) coil -> Vengeance HLR Air convert in this group. The Lyrik is sweet, plush, easy to dial in. Its only disadvantage for me - too little clearance for 650b tires. Other than that, what a great fork that is also very easy to service at home.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Love it. It's my favorite fork. It's very plush and it's not heavy (to me) at all. Absolutely not a fan of air forks.

Ride height is fine. The AtoC is 565mm AFAIK, which is fine. I don't have any issues wiht it under pedaling. Just make sure you enable some LSC.

However, it matches well with the Monarch Plus, and since I have a small frame, my shock options are rather limited.
    I really like a fork that 'stays up' in the travel, one of the few things I like about the 34
    How does the van respond in this regard?

Team Chilidog!
    I really like a fork that 'stays up' in the travel, one of the few things I like about the 34
    How does the van respond in this regard?
    I'm not sure what you mean by does the fork "stay up in the travel." I've always liked the plushness of the Van. Do you know what damper the 34 is running? I ran a 36 Float a few years ago with the RLC damper and that thing was crap. All the 36s now run the RC2, which is much better IMO.

Not sure how the new FIT cartridges work, but as a Float and as a Van (I changed the fork spring recently), but feel solid to me. However, the Float just didn't feel nearly as plush.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm not sure what you mean by does the fork "stay up in the travel." I've always liked the plushness of the Van. Do you know what damper the 34 is running? I ran a 36 Float a few years ago with the RLC damper and that thing was crap. All the 36s now run the RC2, which is much better IMO.

Not sure how the new FIT cartridges work, but as a Float and as a Van (I changed the fork spring recently), but feel solid to me. However, the Float just didn't feel nearly as plush.
    sorry, a bit of a vague description! I suppose I hate forks that dive, or have the tendency to over sag, my only worry about a coil fork is that I am kinda stuck with the pre issued springs, with an air fork I just add pressure (I lose small bump, but dont really care about that) but with a coil my options are obviously less...

Team Chilidog!
    sorry, a bit of a vague description! I suppose I hate forks that dive, or have the tendency to over sag, my only worry about a coil fork is that I am kinda stuck with the pre issued springs, with an air fork I just add pressure (I lose small bump, but dont really care about that) but with a coil my options are obviously less...
    So I checked my settings. I'm running 3 clicks of LSC and 2 clicks of HSC and 8 or 9 clicks of rebound. I don't get any dive that way, but note that I'm not trying anything particularly hard right now because I'm 10 weeks post-op from major surgery.

However, I don't get any dive on it, and I usually don't provided I have enough LSC, and the spring is set to the right size. I think my sag is between 25-30% on the fork, and that's perfect for the Mojo HD. I'm running more sag in the rear, which surprised me at how well that feels.

Mtb Guide

If its a 34 it will be the CTD Cartidge which is non adjustable, unless PUSH have a fix, you can add some fluid to try to make it more progressive in the air chamber, I added 20cc it helped resist dive but did not solve it, if I rode hard enough on trails that were steep enough to test any bike and rider then it got out of its depth pretty quick, that and the loss of small bump compliance in part due to also increased air pressure (spring rate) also to resist dive would lead often to a crash.

Same trails I'm pushing harder, but riding is almost to date relaxed, I havent been on the edge since getting off the dam Fox 34.

I was raising the recall issue with that fork a year ago and no one was listening, eg extended travel, importer, LBS couldnt understand it didnt want to know, we crammed in spacers to make it run at its intended travel.

Other than replacing the 13 Cartidge with a 14 which I havent ridden and was not offered as an upgrade either which I was willing to pay for, pretty much over anything Fox. It would be RS, XF, be interested to see what DVO bring out, we have a good importer here which has secured DVO.

Glad the 36 is working out for you still a good fork, still not convinced it dosent have the same inherent problems, I could never get mine to come close to what I have now, yet others still go well on them.

Mtb Guide
    Spring rate alone wont and is not a good way to resist diving either through brake forces terrain etc

A good way to test this is reduced spring rate, the Xfusion is the first f ork Ive ever ridden owned and I've had pretty much most out they're, not ridden a BOS or the new Pike on the same trails so cant directly compare!

But as I said reduce spring rate and see what happens to your dynamic geometry or ride height, LSC and HSC is also a bit of a crutch for a poor damper or factory setting ime/imo!

Again BOS have worked on this theory for years, the incremental adjustments are small but make a big difference.

With the XF Vengeance, it is the first fork Ive ever owned that on reducing spring rate, the ride height has not altered and this is without adjusting LSC or HSC though one click of rebound.

I followed XF spring rate chart for my weight, 85psi, felt nice but a little too stiff on small bumps, way better than the 34, but! so I dropped 5 psi, big difference, Ive kept going down 5psi on each successive ride until I hit 70psi, ride height has not altered yet small bump is bang on and the fork just feels amazing, no bob, almost feels like its not moving, yet it tracks the ground and takes the hits so well, so much so front wheel landings are becoming my new go to trick deliberately.

I now just have to be careful I don"t get overconfident, Im usually pretty confident anyway in trying out stuff, but now I have a fork and shock I can trust and when it goes to **** in a hurry lol, just ride it out.

If you think your fork is working how a properly damped fork should then try this experiment!

The coil uses the same HLR damper so it should be even more amazing!
    No way would I choose another coil over this, don't get fooled by shiny things, if you want coil Im assuming its for performance first, rest is secondary!

Test one if possible!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    my son rides a lyric coil 170 on his HD...don't think I could pry that thing out of his hands for anything. He'd come from a 180 float prior. he's light (125lbs) so that has something to do with it...it was really hard to properly tune the float for that weight.
    I'm on a float 160 (converted from talas) RC2 and dig that fork...would like to try a vengeance but fox forks have just treated me really well over the years so it's hard to switch out of something that's working.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    If its a 34 it will be the CTD Cartidge which is non adjustable, unless PUSH have a fix, you can add some fluid to try to make it more progressive in the air chamber, I added 20cc it helped resist dive but did not solve it, if I rode hard enough on trails that were steep enough to test any bike and rider then it got out of its depth pretty quick, that and the loss of small bump compliance in part due to also increased air pressure (spring rate) also to resist dive would lead often to a crash.

Same trails I'm pushing harder, but riding is almost to date relaxed, I havent been on the edge since getting off the dam Fox 34.

I was raising the recall issue with that fork a year ago and no one was listening, eg extended travel, importer, LBS couldnt understand it didnt want to know, we crammed in spacers to make it run at its intended travel.

Other than replacing the 13 Cartidge with a 14 which I havent ridden and was not offered as an upgrade either which I was willing to pay for, pretty much over anything Fox. It would be RS, XF, be interested to see what DVO bring out, we have a good importer here which has secured DVO.

Glad the 36 is working out for you still a good fork, still not convinced it dosent have the same inherent problems, I could never get mine to come close to what I have now, yet others still go well on them.
    The 36 coil has always felt much better than the 36 air has. Never liked air forks, no matter who the make is. 1st gen Pike, any Fork, any Xfusion. Not sure why--not a fan of the air forks. The Fox Van has always felt like butter to me. It's a solid fork with the coil, but only with the coil.

Glad XFusion is keeping the Vengeance with a coil version. I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to change forks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by riderup View Post
    my son rides a lyric coil 170 on his HD...don't think I could pry that thing out of his hands for anything. He'd come from a 180 float prior. he's light (125lbs) so that has something to do with it...it was really hard to properly tune the float for that weight.
    I'm on a float 160 (converted from talas) RC2 and dig that fork...would like to try a vengeance but fox forks have just treated me really well over the years so it's hard to switch out of something that's working.
    Interesting.

I have been running a Float 36 RC2 for around 10 months (180mm dropped to 160mm). I can't get the fork to feel quite as I want so I took the original solo air 170mm Lyrik RCs and had my LBS turn them into 170mm coil RC2s. I picked them up yesterday and will fit them this week to hopefully ride next weekend.

Weight wise, I'm double your son plus 15lb so as you might imagine, it's also tricky to get the fork dialled in. At my weight, strength and longevity is vital so the weight sacrifice of the coil should be offset by comfort, tuneability and a big set of quads.

I will give an update towards the end of the year once I've had a chance to get them dialled in on the tracks I ride regularly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    A little update on my last post as I've now been running the coil fork for a few months. One of the first things I noticed is the weight. Or lack of it. When throwing the bike onto the roof of the car, I really don't feel much difference. On the trail, it's the same.

There is also a night and day difference in feel from SBC, mid stroke and deep travel.

As you might imagine, descending is far more enjoyable and I find that I am attacking harder in the rough. Climbing however was surprising. In Sydney we don't have mountains (by any stretch of the imagination) and the trails I ride tend to be rocky with ledges, steps, ruts etc on climbs with a mostly gentle gradient. It is in this type of climbing terrain that I was most surprised with performance as they have made attacking rough, technical sections so much easier. I seem to carry momentum up them far more easily which I put down to improved traction / reduced resistance.

I don't know the spring rate but I assume it's the heaviest that RockShox do. My LBS knows me well and I said to make the coil suited to my weight (125kg RTR).

Setting wise I'm still playing however the rebound is probably 2 clicks from fully closed (slow by most standards but then I weight more an most riders). LSC and HSC are probably middle of the range but being experimented with.
    Last edited by my02; 03-02-2014 at 10:29 PM.

MPI
    mtbr member
    Marz 55 RC3 (Ti) with XFusion steel spring. Standard Ti is too "light" and air preload is bad. Love the fork. About 100g heavier than Ti.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives