mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Mojo HD with Bionicon V.02 chainguide

Anyone else running an HD with a bionicon v.02? I got my hands on one and installed it tonight, but didn't get a chance to ride it yet (or even test ride it). From what I've been reading around the forums, they want it mounted so that the black guide portion is in line with the flat portion of the rear tire. The problem I'm running into is that I can't it in there without the zip tie dragging against the rubber, so I moved it back.

They say that the chainguide has issues with chainstays that are very high and that it needs to be installed right next to the flat portion of the tire, will this guy really work for the HD?

Here's some install tips I found from another thread,
    1. the chain is a little too short and in a compression, especially in bad gear combo, it over-tightens simply rips it off.
    2. not aligned properly, often people mount it at whatever angle the chainstay is and not in line with chainrings 3. mounted to far forward or back, should be mounted approx. next to the smooth sidewall of the tire 4. If running a Shadow + derailleur the clutch should be off this causes excess tension with similar result as #1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HD with Bionicon V.02 chainguide-photo-1.jpg  

Mojo HD with Bionicon V.02 chainguide-photo-2.jpg  

Mojo HD with Bionicon V.02 chainguide-photo-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have it installed on my Mojo hd X9 2x10 and it works fine, shifting seems improved.
    The plastic parts don't seem as sturdy as I would have hoped for.
    I have no dragging issues either.
    Last edited by mbikerguy; 09-16-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Paste eater
    The sound of that thing would drive me batty. Not to mention the zip tie mounting system thingy is um, interesting...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbikerguy View Post
    I have it installed on my Mojo hd X9 2x10 and it works fine, shifting seems improved.
    The plastic parts don't seem as sturdy as I would have hoped for.
    I have no dragging issues either.
    hey mbikerguy, can you take a quick snap of where you have yours mounted on the rear chainstay? thanks.

i test rode it around the street and it's definitely alot quieter hopping curbs and what not and i can't really hear dragging through the v.02 either

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've been running one for a few months and it works pretty darn well. I haven't dropped my chain since installing it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    hy all,

I'm running the v.02 couple of months now...
    Up till now: second complete chainguide and several "mountings" to the chainstay !!

First I was enthusiastic but after all - I'm looking for a different solution for my HD.
    You can use that guide for XC, "light enduro" or somethime lake that.
    For rough terrain , (light) freeride or fast riding the chainstay-mounting thing (where the straps are fixed)
    is constructed too "light" (only a small -1mm- peace of plastic on each side for usage on an IBIS - without fixing that at RD-cable)
    and broke very fast (!!!) and without a 3. strap in the middle the chainguide will.....

3. strap: see it on the picture above - IT'S A SERIOUS RECOMMENDATION OF BIONICON,
    ... mounting system is build for only two (!!!) .... I use four straps now....

Have also serveral problems with dropped chain especially during riding fast.
    Some people in germany make the mounting out of aluminium

Ciao and excuse for my bad english

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by darnelli View Post
    hey mbikerguy, can you take a quick snap of where you have yours mounted on the rear chainstay? thanks.

i test rode it around the street and it's definitely alot quieter hopping curbs and what not and i can't really hear dragging through the v.02 either
    It's mounted in same area as yours, what size is your rear tire?

Guide is totally silent on my bike and much of the chain slap is gone.

the refurbished one
    mine works for over 6 months without problems.
    silent, save and not one chaindrop.

Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    have a look: some pro&con experiences

forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/bionicon-c-guide-804311-post9547090.html

Bionicon C-Guide - Mtbr Forums

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    thanks, i read that thread before purchasing

is my cguide positioned OK? i'm having trouble getting it next to the sidewall as the rear chainstay is a little curved there

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    aloha, that's my position.

I think, just beside/just after the rim is good.
    The position close to the tire is "dangerous", caused by vibration the guide can
    catched by the tire (knobs or so - depends also by the size)

btw: the side of the green strap is broken again.... 5. time or so ?!?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojo HD with Bionicon V.02 chainguide-2012-09-17-041%5B1%5D.jpg  

the refurbished one
    Quote Originally Posted by _hagen_ View Post
    ...The position close to the tire is "dangerous", caused by vibration the guide can
    catched by the tire (knobs or so - depends also by the size)...!
    what?
    the closer to the chainring the better it works.
    with tires from rubber queen 2.2, minion 2.5 and baron 2.5 no problems at all.
    there is no need it tensions the chain, it just has to "catch" it.
    Sokrates is dead, Galilei is dead, Newton is dead, Einstein is dead, Pantani is dead and i am feeling sick too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    hy,

this listed tires aren't "wide" or ? baron 2.5 (good tire) seams like a normal "2.3"....

btw: a friends v.02 is destroyed by a Schwalbe MuddyMary-Knobs.
    He heard sometimes "rubbing noise" riding a bumpy technical trail quickly -
    then a plastic"crack" and the v.02 was gone.
    So we replace the position a bit away from the tire.

But that's my opinion - with my style of riding

mtbr member
    I bought this a couple months ago, and have since ripped it off my bike 3 times. Each time, the plastic barrel thing that mounts to the swingarm is broken. Each time I broke it off, I added more zip ties, but it just doesn't help. I think the barrel thing needs to be made of metal in order to stand the pressure of getting knocked around by rocks, branches, and who knows what else.

It's really too bad, because it quieted my bike down a LOT and I never dropped a chain while it was on. But all in all, pretty disappointed in my $50 purchase. Just a word of warning that you might want to save your money for a different guide. For now, I've gone completely off the deep end and purchased a double XT crankset and a e13 dual chain guide. Yeah, that should do it...
    "Got everything you need?"

the refurbished one
    Quote Originally Posted by _hagen_ View Post
    hy,

this listed tires aren't "wide" or ? baron 2.5 (good tire) seams like a normal "2.3"....

btw: a friends v.02 is destroyed by a Schwalbe MuddyMary-Knobs.
    He heard sometimes "rubbing noise" riding a bumpy technical trail quickly -
    then a plastic"crack" and the v.02 was gone.
    So we replace the position a bit away from the tire.

But that's my opinion - with my style of riding
    with the chainstay that big on the HD i do not see how the guide would hit the tire.

in my opinion the broken guides are most because the chain tension is too big. besides any contact with rocks and so on i do not see any other possibility.

had one on two other bikes before and never broke one. none of my riding buddies either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I bought this a couple months ago, and have since ripped it off my bike 3 times. Each time, the plastic barrel thing that mounts to the swingarm is broken. Each time I broke it off, I added more zip ties, but it just doesn't help. I think the barrel thing needs to be made of metal in order to stand the pressure of getting knocked around by rocks, branches, and who knows what else.

It's really too bad, because it quieted my bike down a LOT and I never dropped a chain while it was on. But all in all, pretty disappointed in my $50 purchase. Just a word of warning that you might want to save your money for a different guide. For now, I've gone completely off the deep end and purchased a double XT crankset and a e13 dual chain guide. Yeah, that should do it...
    I had the same problem and it only happened on really rough trails. Normal riding, no problem at all, but hit a nasty trail & get that suspension moving & the guide broke on me. Yes, it work as advertised until it broke.

I now use a mixture of:bash guard, ibis mrp, stinger & Shadow plus XTR. I now have the perfect setup that is also gives me the quietest bike I've ever ridden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD