mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Mojo HD 650B - can all frames be converted?

Have an early HD (135mm x 12mm rear) and just tried my 650B wheels with Hans Damph tires. When I dropped all the air pressure from the shock, it just fouls the seat tube. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You have to run a 140mm setup in the back. Meaning shorter shock and flip chips.

mtbr member
    or shim the shock to prevent seat tube rub
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you want to run the Hans Dampf 650b tires you'll almost certainly need to shim the HD's shock, even in 140 mode. That is a whopper of a tire. The later model HD's with direct-mount FD have a bit more clearance at the seat tube but even then I don't think they'd fit safely without shimming the shock. I'm running a 650b'd HD160 with Nevegal 2.35's front and back and had to shim the shock 3/8" to prevent the tire hitting the seat-tube at bottom-out (I left a little buffer to account for frame flex on a hard bottom-out).

There's a review of the Nobby Nic 2.35 650b tire online and it shows barely any clearance in the rear yoke of the HD. FWIW there are plenty of folks happy with running the neo-moto 2.3 out back and I've been content with the Nevegal 2.35 front & back. Would love to be able to run the Hand Dampf but I just don't think it's in the cards on this frame...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for the advice. Am running in 140mm mode but did wonder about the Hans Damph tyres as they do look chunky.