Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mojo HD

8K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  Wernervdmerwe 
#1 ·
Has anybody spent any time on this bike aside from Brian Lopes, and written any reviews on it? This bike has a lot of potential to be my next bike, but I've never spent any time on an Ibis except a quick zip around the bike shop, and that was on a regular Mojo.

By the way what does HD stand for? Heavy duty?

Thanks.

#5 · (Edited)
Personally, I think Ibis should keep the Mojo SL as is, make the standard Mojo have a longer top tube so you can run a shorter stem (since the mojo is based off of a 100mm stem the top tube is kinda short. Lengthen the wheel base just a hair, slacken the HA out to 66/67 give it a maxle rear axle, more carbon in the rear swingarm, and seat dropper cable mounts. Then have the HD as the real beefy all mountain rig.

I'd love to have the HD but I don't really need a 160mm travel rear, I don't need a heavy 36mm fork, don't need super beef wheels etc etc. I like the lightweight of the SL and the 140mm travel feels perfect. I don't really ride places that have super chunk (like Northstar or ski lift type places) that warrant 160mm of travel (although manypeople do), and I like the flickablilty of the lighter weight SL and the efficiency of the suspension. I just wish it had a 10-15mm longer top tube, 10mm longer wheelbase, 1 degree slacker head tube and a maxle out back.

Right now the SL is just a bit too XC'ish and the HD is too overkill.

#7 ·
The new enduro comes with a 36 front fork, 66TA, I think a tapered Headtube, and ghey FSR. Its much more on par with the HD (except for the ghey FSR part :) ) I want a trail bike with geometry of an AM bike, but without the extra weight, and extra travel. I want something that rips single track, whips berms, handles on rails, and is efficient pedaling, and under 30 pounds, for the most part I can float most rough stuff, 160mm is nice for certain trails/sections but I make due with 140mm. My Mojo SL right now is as close as it gets, but I could feel it could have a few more improvements without sacrificing anything.

I'm guessing there are not enough other people who think the same way to sell a frame like that too, at least in the big picture. I'd bet most people who buy Mojo's are just doing xc riding and like the looks,carbon, extra travel, so the standard Mojo and SL are perfect for the majority of the market.

#8 ·
Your ideal bike sounds like Brandon Semenuk's part in NWD 10 where he swaps bikes for different terrain as he goes down the hill.
The new S-Works fork should be pretty close in weight to your new fork. I don't think I would want that fork but it's light for a 160/36 fork.
I haven't been on the new Enduro so no comment on how it rides. My only FSR reference is a non-Spec bike that stink bugged when I got on the brakes...

#9 ·
I'm sure the Enduro is pretty nice, reviews are good on it. I'm totally happy with my Ibis, guess I'm just rantin ;) My Ibis does all the things that I stated above and does them very well at that. I was just pipe dreamin on a few minor areas that I feel could be improved upon even greater.

Oh and I came from a stumpjumper with a Brain. It's a nice system but has absolutely nothing on a well tuned DW

#11 ·
Yody, it sounds to my that your ideal mojo might have the same downsides that you noted with the 150mm travel fork on the SL.... namely, weight biased more toward the rear wheel leading to more front end "push" in fast corners and lighter feeling, wandering front end on steep climbs. Thoughts?

#12 ·
doismellbacon said:
Yody, it sounds to my that your ideal mojo might have the same downsides that you noted with the 150mm travel fork on the SL.... namely, weight biased more toward the rear wheel leading to more front end "push" in fast corners and lighter feeling, wandering front end on steep climbs. Thoughts?
I'm running a 150 float on my mojo and I really like it. Having the front end higher feels excellent, in flat tuens weighting the frontend takes care of any geo issues, it does wander a bit on the climbs, whatever

#13 ·
scepticshock said:
Has anybody spent any time on this bike aside from Brian Lopes, and written any reviews on it? This bike has a lot of potential to be my next bike, but I've never spent any time on an Ibis except a quick zip around the bike shop, and that was on a regular Mojo.

By the way what does HD stand for? Heavy duty?

Thanks.
Yeah, I've ridden the HD quite a bit, and it's awesome. The first thing that jumped out at me was how light the bike felt pedaling in the woods. Just riding on a normal XC ride I don't feel like the bike is holding me back in any way, and you can't say that for many 160something travel bikes. I'm running a 36T single ring up front with an LG1+ guide and 11-34 in back, HIVE 15G cranks and nothing super light yet the whole bike (with flat pedals) weighs 26 and change lbs. Not bad if you ask me. All in all I've really enjoyed the bike. I'll be continuing to work on shock tunes over the coming months so with any luck the bike is just going to get better and better. I have some ideas :).

Sorry if it's not much of a review but I hope it helps.

#16 ·
_dw said:
Yeah, I've ridden the HD quite a bit, and it's awesome. The first thing that jumped out at me was how light the bike felt pedaling in the woods. Just riding on a normal XC ride I don't feel like the bike is holding me back in any way, and you can't say that for many 160something travel bikes. I'm running a 36T single ring up front with an LG1+ guide and 11-34 in back, HIVE 15G cranks and nothing super light yet the whole bike (with flat pedals) weighs 26 and change lbs. Not bad if you ask me. All in all I've really enjoyed the bike. I'll be continuing to work on shock tunes over the coming months so with any luck the bike is just going to get better and better. I have some ideas :).

Sorry if it's not much of a review but I hope it helps.
Lucky....

Now envy kicks in.... Well, I'll ride my blue SL tomorrow 34/26, 150mm, Iodines and HD pretend...

#18 ·
Dave,

You mention that you continue to work on the shock tunes. Do you recommend the Rp23 or the Dhx5 shock for say an epic trail machine / 180 lb rider? And secondly, how will your shock tuning effect the first run factory spec. with either shock? Specifically, it took a year or more for the Fox RP23 LowC/ LowRe spec to make it to the Fox factory spec on the standard Mojo.

#19 ·
Looking for a bike possibly more versatile than my Mojo with Lyrik u-turn fork and 650b wheels, I've done parking lot tests of the HD and Firebird to get a comparison feel of steering and suspension progression. I don't have a lot of trail experience with travel over 6 inches, only the SC Nomad, Intense 6.6, Felt Compulsion, IH 6Point, a prototype 2010 Cove G-Spot, and Yeti ASR 7.

I'm interested in a one-bike does all from long XC climbing and tight twisties through trees to desert rocky gnarl and ski park or shuttle downhills, maybe changing to DH wheels to add weight and more stability.

The Firebird was too floppy and slow handling for what I want to ride tight twisty XC singletrack, similar to the Yeti ASR 7 in handling. The suspension felt much like the Mojo except with more deep travel in reserve for very heavy compression landings and high speed hits. With XV RP23 shocks on both bikes, the HD feels much lighter and nearly as nimble handling as I set up my Mojo with my Lyrik set at 140mm travel. With my preferred Lyrik u-turn coil it could be lowered 10 to 20mm to fine tune tight XC trail and long climbs without floppy handling. I would get the longer 2010 Lyrik lowers to be able to u-turn up to 170mm travel for ski-park riding. My 650b wheel easily fits the HD and the Firebird appears to have plenty of clearance also. Although the travel is about 1/2 inch less than the Firebird the HD feels smoother, more linear and plush. Both are very stiff frames, the Firebird probably is slightly stiffer with the same wheels. The slacker fork geometry of the Firebird should be more stable at very high speeds.

Bottom line, the Firebird is a great heavy-duty AM/FR/DH-park bike not so good for XC. The HD the most versatile, a do-it-all XC/AM/FR/DH-park bike that should be plenty stable for expert riders at very high speeds.

#20 ·
derby said:
Bottom line, the Firebird is a great heavy-duty AM/FR/DH-park bike not so good for XC. The HD the most versatile, a do-it-all XC/AM/FR/DH-park bike that should be plenty stable for expert riders at very high speeds.
derby, how was it compared to SC Nomad ?
I own a Nomad (gen-1) which I refuse to let go coz I can't find another bike yet to suit my riding style, but Nomad is kind of too heavy to my liking for XC days (and to my 145lbs full gear weight).
I wonder the shock tune will be lightweight-rider friendly also

Seems I have found the one bike I always dream on.

#21 ·
c-wal said:
Let's hear the build!
My non-SL Mojo comes in at >33lbs. If I could get down to your HDs weight plus a small ring/fd/shifter/cable/housing I would be pretty happy...
I have a fix for you...I'll swap you the PUSH'd Vanilla for my PUSH'd rp23. Save yourself 1+ lb. ;)

BTW: Didn't ride this weekend but I'm heading to Waterdog today.

#22 ·
ddraewwg said:
I have a fix for you...I'll swap you the PUSH'd Vanilla for my PUSH'd rp23. Save yourself 1+ lb. ;)

BTW: Didn't ride this weekend but I'm heading to Waterdog today.
Yeah, it might be the coil, the 36, the flats, 2.5 DHFs (although they are SP), TA rear, GD, etc. -- but shouldn't it be lighter? :)

I did an exciting ride up the peak and it's completely dry... Things will be good this weekend.

#23 ·
softailteamrider said:
derby, how was it compared to SC Nomad ?
I own a Nomad (gen-1) which I refuse to let go coz I can't find another bike yet to suit my riding style, but Nomad is kind of too heavy to my liking for XC days (and to my 145lbs full gear weight).
I wonder the shock tune will be lightweight-rider friendly also

Seems I have found the one bike I always dream on.
How heavy is the nomad? I've been interested in this bike in a long time. Also considering the HD version, as soon as I sell my SL.

#24 ·
charlesinoc said:
How heavy is the nomad? I've been interested in this bike in a long time. Also considering the HD version, as soon as I sell my SL.
My 07 Nomad is 37 lbs and some changes, but that with coil spring front and rear (Fox Van 36, DHX5), and heavy wheelset and tires 2.5" upfront, 2.35" rear. It can go down easily to 31-32 lbs by changing the wheel/tires, handle bar/stem and seatpost (I got anchorweight Spanks, and GD), crankset.
The ride is great for me though, I will not trade this off with 09 Nomad people say the VPP2 tweaked the pedaling trait. I never had any problem with mid-stroke wallow of 07 Nomad, maybe my leightweight and DHX5 plays the role here. It's descending great, jumping awesome, uses most of the 6.5" travel (and actually I feel more than that). I only miss the lighter weight when hauling this beast on steep and long climbs and if I ride my XC epic days.

Said that my mind is steered to the Mojo HD when looking to the spec and geo. I wouldn't mind to lose 0.5" travel for a lighter and more flickable ride. And 6" travel with less than 30 lbs..(possible?). How can I resist..?

#25 ·
Comparing a Nomad was night and day for me. I've ridden Nomads on trail, but the HD only testing on parking lot so far. Every old or new Nomad I've borrowed or demoed has been over sprung or over damped for my interests in using deep sag and full travel as a more flow style rider. I've never had a well balanced feeling from the Nomad or any VPP except the new Tracer VP although the Tracer is as flexy as all other VPP's. My Mojo with Lopes link has less flex and a more precise handling feel than any VPP up to 6.6 inch travel I've ridden including the Nomads old and new. The cornering handling frame geometry of the Nomad is very similar to the HD. The HD wheel path is a little more rearward so should coast a little easier with less hangup. And the HD is rated for use up to 180mm fork so can be much slacker for DH and FR. Pedaling DWL floats up rough rocky trail with less kickback in the granny than all but the squatiest slowest pedaling low monopivots, while the new VPP feels closer to a middle ring monopivot compared to the major kickback and nearly unridable stall in the granny of the early VPPs. In my opinion, the base Mojo's rough trail surface braking power and pedaling efficiency is the best DW has done under 7 inch travel, I have never experienced more rear brake grip than my coil sprung Mojo, only the Firebird compares closely so far. The HD braking reactivity seems similar to the base Mojo perfectly allowing moderate and stable shock rise into more complaint higher traction negative travel, not at all stiffening or easy to skid like monopivots, VPP, and very early DWL braking geometry. Since you asked, these are just my opinions looking for maximum versatility and tuning range, from very soft and squishy to quick and firm, and I exaggerate somewhat when expressing subtle differences that not all riders notice or care about. Get a test ride of the HD for yourself when available. Warning, you will be spoiled! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#26 ·
derby said:
Comparing a Nomad was night and day for me........
......Get a test ride of the HD for yourself when available. Warning, you will be spoiled! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
derby, thanks... I can't agree more with Nomad pedal kickback in the granny esp when I am on #4 or #3 cogs and DHX Air was still on there. I guess I adjusted my pedaling habit to minimize the impact, and my light stroke and 26T ring may help a little bit. Certainly when I rode it back to back with my '04 5.7" HL Pushed 5Spot, pedal feedback was felt more obvious.
I think the HD will be as planted and tracking the ground as well on rough surface.

I have ridden a Mojo (and it's copycat quite extensively) and I am sold on dwL, no more test ride needed. ;) ..
I am ready to be spoiled..:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.