mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Mojo HD with 36/22 double crankset?

Hi guys,
    I'm considering buying Mojo HD, but I have a question. Does anyone run it with 36/22 double crankset?
    Official specs says that this setup is incompatible
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/images/upl...web%281%29.jpg

I'd like to use Shimano SLX 665 chainset with 22/36/bashring.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I run a 34/22 with Race Face bashring on my HD, just had to make minor adjustment to the front derailleur to keep it from rubbing in Big/ Big combo.
    Crankset is 3 ring Shimano XT with 34 tooth ring from Blackspire.

The Crow
    36/22 worked for almost two years on my HD

EDIT: Let me add, it was a RF SixC triple with 36/22 chainrings + bash. That could make a difference.
    Last edited by Iwan; 05-22-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: More details
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    boardguru, Iwan, thanks. What front derailleurs have you used?

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by boardguru View Post
    I run a 34/22 with Race Face bashring on my HD, just had to make minor adjustment to the front derailleur to keep it from rubbing in Big/ Big combo.
    Crankset is 3 ring Shimano XT with 34 tooth ring from Blackspire.
    I do the same thing and it works great. I also run a 26/36 on my regular mojo with no problems. Front der is whatever is recommended for a 3 ring shimano crank.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

The Crow
    Will double (get the pun?) check tonight and get back to you
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Shimano XT triple on mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Works on mine. SLX 9 speed triple direct mount front mech. Very slight rubbing in big/big but nothing to worry about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    get a problem solvers HDM mount adapter for your frame and a HDM front der...

I run a 36/22 xo setup and it's perfect.

I even think Ibis sells the adapter on their 'for sale' section

The Crow
    Quote Originally Posted by voidwanderer View Post
    boardguru, iwan, thanks. What front derailleurs have you used?
    sram x9
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i run a double xtr direct mount,works grat too

bike rider
    To the guys running a 22T, do you ever use first gear? My FR/AM bike has 26/36 rings and an 11-34 cassette. I could maybe see someone wanting a 24T chainring but can't imagine a 22T. It just seems like an unusably low first gear and then a big jump up to the big ring.
    Keep the Country country.

No dabs.
    I've run a 36/22 on a 9-speed 3-ring xtr with bash for over two years - over a year on the HD. Xtr front derailleur.

@ Lelandjt: I use that lowest gear all the time with the 34 in back. Definitely usable with many steeps here in SoCal. But then I relish climbing what most consider unclimbable.

mtbr member
    I ran the shimano 38/26 (which is really a tripple without the outer ring) with only minor issues using the direct mount double derailer. I now run bash/ 32/26 with direct mount tripple derailer with no issues. Switched to get back my 32 ring that I missed - a lot less shifting and the mojo hd was designed around a 32 ring with perfectly balance squat/antiquated. Also with current set up shifters worked best set to tripple? must be based on the derailer not number of Rings. If you go with 10 rear cogs with a 36 cog, you do not need a 22 ring. 24 will still give u a bigger granny then 3x9 with a 34 rear cog. I don't miss anything with the 26.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    I ran the shimano 38/26 (which is really a tripple without the outer ring) with only minor issues using the direct mount double derailer. I now run bash/ 32/26 with direct mount tripple derailer with no issues.
    i just built mine with that set up- xtr trail 38/26 and the FD-m986 double xtr deraileur. My LBS put a shim on the post where the direct mount connect to. The swing arm portion at the rear of the FD was hitting the seat tube so they had to move it. I am actually thinking if i should cut that entire portion out of the derailleur. Was this also your problem?

mtbr member
    I built my HD up with the exact setup you are wanting to use. First, the SLX M665 Crankset (22-36-Bash) does not work well with the HD. The chainline is 46.8mm causing the small ring to run very close to the lower link. Second, I have the direct mount version of the HD, and I had to run my derailleur as low as possible for the 22 tooth ring (shimano XT triple, double will not work). This caused my derailleur to hit the lower link and not allow the chain to shift to small ring. I had to run three spacers on the drive side to allow my front derailleur to shift to small ring. I rode the bike this way for two rides and my bottom bracket began creaking and making a lot of noise. Called Ibis, they told me not to run it with three spacers on drive side and that was probably causing the creaking. Got rid of the SLX and put on a Race Face Turbine 24-36-bash with normal chainline. All is good now. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MTMOJOHD View Post
    I built my HD up with the exact setup you are wanting to use. First, the SLX M665 Crankset (22-36-Bash) does not work well with the HD. The chainline is 46.8mm causing the small ring to run very close to the lower link. Second, I have the direct mount version of the HD, and I had to run my derailleur as low as possible for the 22 tooth ring (shimano XT triple, double will not work). This caused my derailleur to hit the lower link and not allow the chain to shift to small ring. I had to run three spacers on the drive side to allow my front derailleur to shift to small ring.
    when you say you had to run three spacers, was this applied to the back of the Front Derailleur direct mount plate?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by le_stat View Post
    when you say you had to run three spacers, was this applied to the back of the Front Derailleur direct mount plate?
    No, I had to run three spacers on the drive side of my bottom brackets to get my smallest ring far enough away from the lower suspension pivot. Basically I was just making my chainline a normal 50mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    MTMOJOHD, thanks a lot! Very useful info