mtbr member
    May 2011

Mojo HD with 34 Float 160 CTD

I am riding a 180 TALAS, which I spend most of my time in 140 mode and have had a 36 Float 160

I have been thinking of changing out to the 34 Float 160 to lighten things up and give the bike a quicker feel. I find I ride more XC/AM more than Freeride

Just wondering how people are liking this fork on the Mojo HD?

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    I am riding a 180 TALAS, which I spend most of my time in 140 mode and have had a 36 Float 160

I have been thinking of changing out to the 34 Float 160 to lighten things up and give the bike a quicker feel. I find I ride more XC/AM more than Freeride

Just wondering how people are liking this fork on the Mojo HD?
    For what you are asking the chassis is awesome, its light its stiff no issues theyre.

Problem is I hate the CTD funciton, the non adjustable or replaceable negative spring, even using the hardest compression setting and trail mode.

You can provide a more progressive feel by adding Fox fluid to the air chamber we did about 20cc to mine improved the midstroke support no end.

Origonally I used the same air pressure to set spring rate(correct sag for me) and it lacked a bit of traction off the top of the stoke and felt a bit harsh. but better than blowing through the midstroke, Ive dropped abput 5 psi in spring rate and that has helped but its still a compromise and I now use trail mode full time its about as good as I can get it.

Still would love to try XFusion or Id swing more to the new Pike than the Fox, I feel CTD is a backward step compared to 2012s compression adjusters on the 36 for example or 32s.

Chassis is great though.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks........I've been reading about the fork being too linear. I like a supportive fork with little brake dive as I like to brake hard into corners and hammer out.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Is there different factory settings for the compression dampening? I thought I saw a sticker saying firm, medium, etc. like the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I like the fork, but the CTD is not the best IMO.

I tend to leave it on trail soft.( medium soft). The Descend mode is good , but brake dive will eat the travel and and it won't change lines as crisply.

As an all day long fork. It's a good choice. But for big jumps and gnarly down hills it is not the best choice.

Mtb Guide
    Saidrick with fluid added to the air chamber mines great off jumps and drops, its good on the big stuff way better than stock for me no issue here.

The biggest problem I am still having is fast long trails with consecutive hits roots rocks drops, it still felt too divey for my liking and I lacked the traction on the front end it originally had, to be fair Im pushing this fork way harder now though too so I want more from it. I drift the front end more and at times can push the front tire more than before.

But I have no issue jumping this thing as hard as anything Ive owned, note Ive come off 36s, 40 on my DH rig, but Im generally not hucking to flat, I do boost stuff if its they're to hit too flat landing, most of our trails have some decent sized jumps but good trannys, clearing the gap is the priority not the landing.

Love the HD just an amazing frame, had a beauty ride today, lots of jumps flow, just awesome ride.

Canuck, not sure if you can get different tunes from the factory like you can the shock, with the new 40s they offer 4 different negative springs, I was told Fox do not offer different rate negative springs for the CTD 34s.

If you wanted this an another tune maybe PUSH can do something, I don't know if they offer CTD options yet. Not an option for me Push don't do international orders

No dabs.
    Absolutely loving my 34 over the dog of a 2011 Float 36 I had on the HD. Especially enjoyable is the ease of manualing the front wheel with the reduced weight. I don't really notice much loss of rigidity except for massively rocky terrain.

I've briefly ridden an XFusion on a Ripley, and it felt really, really good. Looks like the XFusion Slant at 160/130 is very comparable to the 34, and almost the same weightwise - might be worth a look.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo SD View Post
    Absolutely loving my 34 over the dog of a 2011 Float 36 I had on the HD. Especially enjoyable is the ease of manualing the front wheel with the reduced weight. I don't really notice much loss of rigidity except for massively rocky terrain.

Interesting...I originally ran the 2011 36 Float 160 as well and it wasn't very good. That's why I went to the 180/140 Talas, much happier. Probably will keep the 180, just want the lighter 34 for XC/AM which I ride 90% of the time.

Do you notice the lower axle to crown of the 34? Does the front end feel lower? Do you find the CTD better than the 2011 RLC?

No dabs.
    Interesting...I originally ran the 2011 36 Float 160 as well and it wasn't very good. That's why I went to the 180/140 Talas, much happier. Probably will keep the 180, just want the lighter 34 for XC/AM which I ride 90% of the time.

Do you notice the lower axle to crown of the 34? Does the front end feel lower? Do you find the CTD better than the 2011 RLC?
    I noticed the lower axle to crown but it is pretty slight with only a .3 degree difference. Big enough to have to adjust my seat angle though. I find I prefer it for the trails I ride most: a little snappier, front doesn't wash out quite as easily on swoopy trails on the flats, but still enough travel and rigidity to feel balanced on the HD. I think I prefer the CTD to the RLC, but just because I am more of a set-it-and-forget-it type with the RLC. Also, I would agree that the action of the fork is a bit too linear with some deep diving. But the small bump compliance is so much better than what I had with the last Float (which I'd bought as a Talas and converted to try and fix the stiction), so I don't mind.

I was going to get the Slant, but it wasn't available yet when I got the 34.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all the replies....

Still thinking of going this route. The 2014's have revised dampening, spring rate, and come in black now. Looks like they will be a couple months out still.

Also looking at the new Bronson and maybe rolling on two bikes. Keeping the HD with the 180 TALAS and having the Bronson for longer rides.

mtbr member
    What about the Pike? I rode a 34 yesterday after being on my Lyrik for a while and I was less than impressed. Super harsh with a ton of brake dive. I will have to give Robo my bike for a few days so he can see what he is missing!

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    What about the Pike? I rode a 34 yesterday after being on my Lyrik for a while and I was less than impressed. Super harsh with a ton of brake dive. I will have to give Robo my bike for a few days so he can see what he is missing!
    Id go Pike over 34 CTD even over 2014 mod, just dont trust Fox to get the tune right. Ive solved the mid-stroke diving issue, but have lost small bump compliance, didn't think it would bother me as Im more of an in the air person, still am, but Ive found myself in more rooty terrain as my HD just takes me everywhere.

Love to hear reviews on the Slant, but Im suspect about no compression adj just, RL and DLA?

mtbr member
    Mav just go for the Lyrik or Vengance. The minor weight difference is more than made up for when the trail turns downhill unless you are riding in 140 mode. After my ride on the 34 it will take a lot for me to get back on a Fox product. The single circuit dampers in the middle weight forks can't keep up with the abilities of the HD when really pushing it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That Pike is looking super promising.......I'm kind of getting sick of sending my Fox's in every 3 months for a new CSU.

Lightly salted
    That Pike is looking super promising.......I'm kind of getting sick of sending my Fox's in every 3 months for a new CSU.
    CSU?
    Im not real happy with my high maintance fox forks either, especially in the trail chatter/small bump. Probably will be going back to rockshox soon.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm on my 4 or 5th Crown Steerer due to creaking.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Mav just go for the Lyrik or Vengance. The minor weight difference is more than made up for when the trail turns downhill unless you are riding in 140 mode. After my ride on the 34 it will take a lot for me to get back on a Fox product. The single circuit dampers in the middle weight forks can't keep up with the abilities of the HD when really pushing it.
    I wont go for the Lyrik, not because I don't like it, but would go Pike if Rockshox.

But Im keen to run XFusion front and rear and just really want to try the brand, love everything I hear from you guys about them.

NZ is a Fox, then RS, then Zocchi country, very conservative we do have a NZ XFusion supplier, Im just trying to confirm the Vengeance HLR air is available and if the HLR air shock they supply me is dwl or can be a tuned just the way you guys order them.

Here we usually get very limited options from suppliers, but I do see a NZ online retailer selling the HLR air Vengence, my issue with them is nothing I have ever ordered from them has ever been in stock and usually have had to get refunded even though it says in stock ahh.

As soon as I hear back then It will be go time, cheers for the push lol.

Reason I wanted to here more about the Slant is I would replace my Fox 34 with one if the Veng/HLR air if I am impressed as much as I suspect!

I would like to have both 140 and 160/70 options not really interested in 650b but I do like the options the HD delivers!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just wondering if there were any HD owners out there that have the revised 2014 34 Float? If so, how are you liking it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Update on the fork.

Fox is offering new revised dampers for 2012/13 float CTD forks.
    The cost is $65 or $45 if you remove the damper.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well I ended up with a 2014 34 Float CTD Adjust and have to say I am quite happy with it. I had a 36 Float 160, a 36 Talas 180 and I think the 34 is my favorite.

I was a little concerned buying it because of the negative reaction people were having towards last years. Without riding a 2013 I can't really comment on the difference; but there seems to be enough dampening in Descend mode and I am running Trail with 2 out of 3 clicks.

• Running around 10PSI more than recommended for my weight of 190 pounds.
    • Notice the weight savings.
    • Really like the A2C on my HD.
    • Stifness is right up there with the 36 until you really push it.
    • It's not as plush on large jumps as the RC2 but very capable.
    • Match's the rear suspension nicely.
    • Lockout is quite handy.
    • Seems to be easier to flick around corners and jumps.

It's a good option for someone who wants to make their HD a very capable all rounder with a strong climbing ability.