mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Mojo HD 140 revisited...

Hey guys,
    so on the weekend I was going on a bikin trip and discovered that my 160 rc4 was leaking fluid...Oh no! no time to service, and I am leavin in an hour- and then I remembered I had some limbo chips and an old mojo (rp23) shock laying around- so I did a quick shock change and headed off...
    wow! I had forgotten how lively my 26 inch HD could be! the 140 shock (and keep in mind it was in pretty crap condition) made the bike more lively, and it cornered like a dream!
    I was running the bike with a 160 34 fork, and -1 angle set...
    so my questions are:
    1. has anyone else run the hd with a 160 fork and a 140 rear? I seem to remember a thread about this but can't find it...

2. what is the actual travel of the 140 rear (remember hans clarifying this somewhere but cant remember where)

3. what shock? thinkin cane creek db air could be cool...anyone used this in 140 mode?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ran my HD in 140 mode as an experiment. I used the pushed rp23 from my original mojo and had a set of 170 lyric rc2dh airs on the front. I found that this setup was better than the kashima rp23(160) that came on the frame. Mainly because the kashima would blow thru its travel too quickly. The 140 seemed to ramp up and not bottom out even on largish jumps and drops, 4-5 metre gaps and drops under 2 metres. However it could be overwhelmed by extended rock gardens. So I bought a CCDB air for the 160 and haven't looked back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by d3toid View Post
    I ran my HD in 140 mode as an experiment. I used the pushed rp23 from my original mojo and had a set of 170 lyric rc2dh airs on the front. I found that this setup was better than the kashima rp23(160) that came on the frame. Mainly because the kashima would blow thru its travel too quickly. The 140 seemed to ramp up and not bottom out even on largish jumps and drops, 4-5 metre gaps and drops under 2 metres. However it could be overwhelmed by extended rock gardens. So I bought a CCDB air for the 160 and haven't looked back.
    so are you running the ccdb in 140 mode?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The CCDB air is 160. 140 mode was nice for smoothish jump trails but it just couldn't keep up on "real" DH tracks like the Stromlo world cup track, pedally compared to other tracks, we just don't have any big hills downunder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Stromlo is my home track as well! know how you feel...although the bike trip I went on was up in Thredbo-some bigger hills there!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I broke my ankle in Jan doing the Centenary trail in a day and have only just got back on the mountain bike. So I didn't manage to get up to Thredbo or Buller like I usually do each Summer. And now all this rain is making it a bit hard to get out for a ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If you want to borrow my 8.5x2.5 kashima rp23 until you get your shock fixed give my a PM with your details and we can have a chat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I put on my old RP23 and 140 (130mm actual) mode limbo chips while my 160 mode X-Fusion Vector HLR air is out getting rebuilt, and have a 160mm Pike on the front end. I was thinking it would be fun to have a lower BB and slacker front end, but I absolutely hate the RP23......it just sucks sh%t so the experiment is a bust. No matter how much I futz with air I cannot get it to settle down....lively is a good way to describe it as there is a total lack of damping/compression or refinement (it acts like an uncontrolled pogo stick). Good thing about this episode is that I have learned to really appreciate the Vector now for it is so good, and cannot beat having LSC/HSC adjustability etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I was origonally going to get an HLR but the local distrib. couldn't tell me when they were going to get any in. Then a good deal came up on the CC. I really like having HSR to control landings on bigger jumps, has saved my ass a number of times.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rathbone View Post
    I put on my old RP23 and 140 (130mm actual) mode limbo chips while my 160 mode X-Fusion Vector HLR air is out getting rebuilt, and have a 160mm Pike on the front end. I was thinking it would be fun to have a lower BB and slacker front end, but I absolutely hate the RP23......it just sucks sh%t so the experiment is a bust. No matter how much I futz with air I cannot get it to settle down....lively is a good way to describe it as there is a total lack of damping/compression or refinement (it acts like an uncontrolled pogo stick). Good thing about this episode is that I have learned to really appreciate the Vector now for it is so good, and cannot beat having LSC/HSC adjustability etc.
    Personally, I have Vector HLR Coil, but I also can speak in favor of RP23, if it is properly tuned by a knowledgeable technician. It includes removing boostvalve and adding shims though...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Anyone got a perspective on the geometry of a 140 with a 160 fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianthom View Post
    Anyone got a perspective on the geometry of a 140 with a 160 fork?
    I've got a XF Sweep 160-130 on my HD, love the handling in the rough stuff but it does require a bit of style change when climbing gets really steep. If I don't drop the travel down via the DLA switch I need to get up on the nose of the saddle a bit to keep the front wheel from wandering. It was a small change from the 140 Velvet to be sure but well worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Picked up a cheap fox ctd...how easy is ito to change bushings from one shock to another?