tg
    mtbr member

Mojo HD 140 as a race rig

Is the HD 140 a good choice for xc racing(Colorado)? Rode the SLR today for a solid 3 hour throw down and found the top tube to be on the short side even on a XL frame. I was told the XL HD 140 has a longer top tube. Been on Turners for over 10 years and love the fit. Could the HD 140 be my next Race/trail do it all bike?Is it light enough to race? Thanks for the help.

Dropshot Champ!
    It really depends on the race class.

Around here, the expert (and even the sport lineup) is stacked with people that have ready to ride 18-21lb geared 29ers. And they're brutally fast. So no, it will never be on that level. But for a fantastic doitall bike, endurance racing, and a few xc races, it will do great.

I personally think the slr would be a better race rig than an hd, but both would work. You get more into enduro/superD events and either works...alot better.

In my opinion, the people who build up super insanely light xc mojos...probably won't race them anyways. Ever tried to lean over a stans crow tire? You kiss dirt often. Ever pop a jump on a stans crest wheel? Enjoy the walk home. Ever see a guy with a sweet 1x9/10 setup and his 36t climbing super steeps? Nevar. I think ibis showcased a 22ish? lb slr with a 1x10 setup. It looked doable, but definitely not cheap.

So yes, it is light enough to race...but it really depends on what racing you'll be doing and how light you're comfortable going.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I don't know about crests but I have on old set of stans ztr olympics that I used to put on my mojo c for racing. I could notice a bit more side ways flex while cornering but on a square hit they were very strong. After most 24 hour races I was usually to lazy to put the flows back on so the olympics would get ridden and I would forget that I shouldn't be doing 5-6 foot jumps. My olympics are straighter than my flows, mainly because the flows are now on an HD, which get used at lifted parks and shuttle runs at Stromlo.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If I was gonna spend 5k on an XC race bike, I certainly wouldn't spend it on an HD140. More likely a trek hifi or santa cruz highball. On the flip side, an HD140 is a good compromise if you want to race competitively and still have something that is fun to ride when you're out on a joy ride. I'm racing sport on an HD160 with a dropper post and 2.4 Minion DH tire. So either way, you'll be doing better than me!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I totally agree with redmr2_man. I use my SL for marathon races and Crafy bike Transalp and it's ok.You pay time on the ascend side but get it on the descend.so that it depends on how the downhill section is long and on your legs! I'd suggest to stay on the light side.My SL is 22lbs in a race setup. 24.5lbs for training and trail use.

mtbr member
    Well I recently rode a 100km MTB enduro race on my HD140. It ran beautifully in my mind and was a pretty good match for the event, but then I'm no elite wippet, just a weekend warrior. Almost all of the super fast eilte XC/marathon guys were rolling on 29'ers, either hardtails or duallies. The course wasn't a buffed XC racing course, and was pretty technical in some sections, hence even the uber fast/skilled guys running full squish.

There are obviously better, lighter, more purposed built XC/enduro racing bikes on the market (and I'd admit the SLR would be better suited than the HD, as long as it fits you) but for an all-round super stiff trail/AM bike that can also be raced at an amateur level, the HD works great!

As some suggested, perhaps swapping out some things for marathon races like lighter wheels (maybe a bigger 650B wheelset??), tires, bars, etc may assist you in making it a little more race worthy, whilst not compromising your 'normal' non-race build (all depending on your normal build of course).

I didn't bother swapping out anything myself, and just rode my HD140 with its normal trail setup [2.25 Maxxis Ardent LUST tires, 150mm Revelation RLT Ti 2pos Air, RP23, 26" Easton Haven wheelset, etc]. The weight in its current form is good enough in my mind, and I found it more than comfortable and efficient for the 100kms.

Of course, if i was serious about racing and doing heaps of enduro's/marathon events I'd consider looking at a more specific race bike...

Hope that helps,
    Cheers.

tg
    mtbr member
    Helps alot well said.......I found the TT on the XL SLR to be way to short.....bummer. HD wont be my race rig this year.I am going to stick with Turner.....they fit.