holding back the darkness

Mojo front shock pivot issues...

Anyone else experiencing problems with their pivots "loosening"? Just wondering if I'm all alone in the world.
    **** censorship

flow where ever you go
    I replaced the lower link that had two rough bearings (one of the smalls and one of the large ones)... but no... no problems with loosening.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just checked, mine are good.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member

Same here: no problem

Quote Originally Posted by 4212darren
    Just checked, mine are good.
    I am not really sure how pivot bolts (or any bolt) could "come loose" ... maybe if one does not torque them right and follows instructions (loctite, type of grease etc.).

The pivot bolts of my 5-spot came out of the factory so tight and locked (they seem to use a white "loctite" that I could not identify) that when I had to rebuild the bushings (don't ask ) I had a very hard time taking off the bolts. For a while I thought they were seized.

That is clear nuts (talk about quality control!), but some loctite light/medium blue (242/244/248) compound can probably fix all your problems.
    Last edited by Davide; 05-14-2007 at 08:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

just to be clear

Are we talking about the forward shock eye pin or the main pivot? Both?
    They are all normally secured with a bit of locktite or they will back out in use. We use blue 242.

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Thread.../dp/B0002KKTQI

It's not that hard to take apart but still keeps things in place pretty well. We use that or Nylon patches on everything except the rear shock eyelet bolt.

Hans

www.derbyrims.com
    Fox shock pivot bushings on most suspension bikes usually wear out in 6 months of frequent use, or less than 1000 miles of trail riding, more or less depending on environment.

My first set of Mojo pivot bushings held up longer than my previous bike, but there was much less rain and mud (which accelerates the shock pivot bushing wear) than normal this year in Nor Cal.

A temporary "fix" is to remove the aluminum bushing reducers and press them back in with a layer of thin plastic such as from plastic sandwich bags. This removes the sloppiness in the shock pivot for a few rides, but wears out quickly.

holding back the darkness
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    I am not really sure how pivot bolts (or any bolt) could "come loose" ... maybe if one does not torque them right and follows instructions (loctite, type of grease etc.).
    Yeah. Thanks. Check your Mojo owners manual and get back to me with those torque values.

I've been talking about the pin that goes thru the front of the shock. mine came a little loose and has since been re-loctited and is currently running smooth. Thanks to all for your replies! Thinking that I might buy a complete set of replacement parts just for the eventuality when they are needed. Thanks again!
    **** censorship