Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    20

    Mojo fram e sizes...

    Hi

    What frame size people have? I'm 192 cm (I guess that's 6'3" or so...) and I'm thinking about the xl, although l size might do the trick.... with stem + post

    Thanks

    Jussi

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesuri
    Hi

    What frame size people have? I'm 192 cm (I guess that's 6'3" or so...) and I'm thinking about the xl, although l size might do the trick.... with stem + post

    Thanks

    Jussi
    http://ibiscycles.com/mountain/geome...65548d907b4605
    I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam, a non-setback post, 100mm stem, and ride a large.

  3. #3
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,516

    I too wonder about sizing.

    I'm 5' 7 1/2" with a 31" inseam and am waiting for a small Mojo.

    A small was recommended by my LBS but I worry a medium would have been better. On paper, a .8" difference in ETT does not seem great but I am used to bikes closer to the medium's geometry. One of the folks at Ibis suggested I trust my LBS. I expect / hope that a setback seat post and a slightly long stem can provide a good fit and ride if needed.

    I will watch this thread for any small or medium riders to see how you get a good fit for your size.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MJ51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    I'm 5' 7 1/2" with a 31" inseam and am waiting for a small Mojo.

    A small was recommended by my LBS but I worry a medium would have been better. On paper, a .8" difference in ETT does not seem great but I am used to bikes closer to the medium's geometry. One of the folks at Ibis suggested I trust my LBS. I expect / hope that a setback seat post and a slightly long stem can provide a good fit and ride if needed.

    I will watch this thread for any small or medium riders to see how you get a good fit for your size.
    Hmmm, I'm 5'8", with 30" inseam, and ride a Med. with a 110mm stem. All my bikes have been Med. The Mojo fits really well, I've set it up with a zero setback post, and my saddle is pushed pretty far back. I'm thinking of switching to a Thomson layback to better support the saddle rails. I'm an XC/All mountain type of rider so I like a fairly efficient position, I don't like to be too upright.

    Interestingly, I've noticed on many of the Mojo pics, that riders using straight posts have their saddles pushed pretty far back.

  5. #5
    Trail Rider
    Reputation: Quattro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ51
    Hmmm, I'm 5'8", with 30" inseam, and ride a Med. with a 110mm stem. All my bikes have been Med. The Mojo fits really well, I've set it up with a zero setback post, and my saddle is pushed pretty far back. I'm thinking of switching to a Thomson layback to better support the saddle rails. I'm an XC/All mountain type of rider so I like a fairly efficient position, I don't like to be too upright.

    Interestingly, I've noticed on many of the Mojo pics, that riders using straight posts have their saddles pushed pretty far back.
    I'm considering ordering one also. I'm 5 ft 7 in. with a 30 in. inseam. I have a small Tracer but usually can fit the next size up in bikes also. I fit a med. Blur. I wanted to go with a medium, but I was worried about the TT length. It sounds like the medium would work for me.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tall Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    88
    Vesuri,

    I think that you're in XL territory.

  7. #7
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,516
    Tall Tom, What about us smaller guys wondering about fit? Small, medium, either? Too close to call perhaps.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tall Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    88

    More sizing info...

    No Short Cuts,

    Since it is somewhat reasonable to assume that most folks reading this forum are experienced riders, I like to suggest looking at your current bike set up when determining what size to choose. If you are happy with your position on your current bike, then match the ETT(effective top tube) length and stem to a corresponding Mojo size with a 100~120mm stem.

    We designed the Mojo for all around riding conditions and using a stem length in that range helps optimize that capability. However, I recently heard an argument for the use of a shorter stem for more aggressive descending and jumping that I thought was convincing. So take into consideration your riding style.

    If I was going to make a generalization about rider heights and sizing it would go something like this:

    5'2"~5'5" = Small (15")
    5'6"~5'9" = Medium (17")
    5'10"~6'1" = Large (19")
    6'2"~6'6" = X-Large (21")

    These recommedations are far from precise, particularly if you are at the extremes of any given size range. Also, the Small can be set up to fit someone shorter than 5'2" and the X-Large can be adapted to fir some one bigger than 6'6". Regardless, I hope these guidlines are somewhat helpful.

  9. #9
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,516

    Size guide should be helpful but I'm confused anyway...

    Thanks Tom, it is good to have this information. Your chart put's me solidly in the medium frame.

    My current bike's TT measurement is between the Mojo small and medium and that's with a 100mm stem.

    My shop said I "definitely" would be better on a small Mojo but I asked today about switching to a medium. They are willing to change to a medium but still think a small is the better fit.

    When I look closely at the numbers, it is easy to think that either a small or medium would work:

    I feel comfortable now on a bike with a 22.5" TT and a 100mm stem and setback post (actually straight post works too).

    That means a small Mojo with a 22" TT and a 110mm stem should work,
    or
    ............... a medium Mojo with a 22.8" TT and a 90mm stem.

    Both look reasonable to me. Now I must decide quick!

    Any feedback to help confuse or confirm my ideas are welcome.
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 10-27-2006 at 08:29 PM. Reason: changes and correction

  10. #10
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,516
    bumping to show changes I made in most recent post

  11. #11
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,788
    A shorter stem is quicker handling and better downhill and through rough technical.
    Last edited by derby; 10-29-2006 at 11:25 AM.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    20
    Ok - thanks for the info.

    One thing I really like about Ibis, and this forum, is that the manufacturer actually reads / replies on the issues discussed here! Talking about good customer service!... Might be happening on other manufacturer threads as well, but this is something I really appreciate.

    All the best for Ibis from, currently stormy, FInland!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MJ51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    bumping to show changes I made in most recent post
    I think I would go with a MED and shorter stem. Don't buy a stem yet, let the shop loan you a few cheapies in different lengths so you can fine tune. I think you have more flexibility in set-up with the Med. On the small you will be more limited.

    Like I said above, you and I are similar in size, and I ride a MED with 110mm stem and will likely be moving to a setback post.

  14. #14
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,516

    Fit calculators aren't helping much......

    With Tom putting me solidly on a medium (22.8"TT), and my shop solidly on a small (22"TT), and since I know I'm comfortable in the middle (22.5"TT), I tried a few fit calculators to break the tie.

    Here are some main measurements used: 31.5" inseam; 54" sternum; 67.5" height; 22" arms.

    I did my best to measure as each calculator asks and here are TT results with a 110mm stem in each case:

    Wrenchscience: 20" = small Mojo
    Zinn: 21.5" - 22.25" (intermediate - aggressive) = small Mojo
    CompetitiveCyclist: 22.4" - 22.8" = med. Mojo


    The medium would give me a shorter stem, but 100 or 110 on a small is not bad. The small would give me an easier time of dropping behind the seat on steep decents....

    So I'm driving myself mad over 0.8" of Top Tube length.
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 10-28-2006 at 11:24 PM.

  15. #15
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ51
    I think I would go with a MED and shorter stem. Don't buy a stem yet, let the shop loan you a few cheapies in different lengths so you can fine tune. I think you have more flexibility in set-up with the Med. On the small you will be more limited.

    Like I said above, you and I are similar in size, and I ride a MED with 110mm stem and will likely be moving to a setback post.
    Thanks for the input MJ51.

    It's true, we are close, but I think you have about 2" more torso length (1/2" based on taller overall height and 1.5" based on your shorter legs = longer torso). You could have longer arms as well.

    Based on what I show below (with the fit calculators) I'm close to convinced that my upper body fits in the middle of the two Mojos and would likely feel fine on either. I'm hoping.

  16. #16
    Trail Rider
    Reputation: Quattro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    915
    [quote=noshortcuts]Thanks for the input MJ51.

    It's true, we are close, but I think you have about 2" more torso length (1/2" based on taller overall height and 1.5" based on your shorter legs = longer torso). You could have longer arms as well.

    Based on what I show below (with the fit calculators) I'm close to convinced that my upper body fits in the middle of the two Mojos and would likely feel fine on either. I'm hoping.[/quote

    You can also adjust using different bars. My buddies medium blur fits me, and also feels cramped compared to my small Tracer. I always use flat Ti bars, but risers come in a many different angles and lengths. He is using a carbon riser and they angle back more than my flat bars.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MJ51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    Thanks for the input MJ51.

    It's true, we are close, but I think you have about 2" more torso length (1/2" based on taller overall height and 1.5" based on your shorter legs = longer torso). You could have longer arms as well.

    Based on what I show below (with the fit calculators) I'm close to convinced that my upper body fits in the middle of the two Mojos and would likely feel fine on either. I'm hoping.
    I feel your pain, it is a tough decision that you have to live with for a long while. Here is a radical approach that I have taken a few times, including the Mojo. I take a digital picture of my current ride (Rocky Mountain in my case), making sure the shot is pure profile (from the side like the manufacturers do). Load the pic into a photo editor like Photoshop. Using the known wheelbase (dropout to dropout) as a way to scale the images, you can lay a photo of the Mojo over top. Doing this can help you see the relative locations of the stem, bars and seat taking into account the geometry of the frame. In photoshop, you can make the top layer (Mojo) semi-transparent so you can see through it and compare it to your current ride. There is a profile of a medium Mojo on Chuck spew from the cover of Outside, you could use that.

    It is a bit complicated, but can help make an informed decision.

  18. #18
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,516

    might just give it a try..

    Quote Originally Posted by MJ51
    I feel your pain, it is a tough decision that you have to live with for a long while. Here is a radical approach that I have taken a few times, including the Mojo. I take a digital picture of my current ride (Rocky Mountain in my case), making sure the shot is pure profile (from the side like the manufacturers do). Load the pic into a photo editor like Photoshop. Using the known wheelbase (dropout to dropout) as a way to scale the images, you can lay a photo of the Mojo over top...............

    It is a bit complicated, but can help make an informed decision.
    then again I imagine it will end up giving me similar information........ that physically I can fit either since each Mojo is not radicly different (geometricly) from what I'm used to. If only I could photoshop a virtual ride on each size!, then once I beat them up and down a mountain once or twice I'd decide easily.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam, a non-setback post, 100mm stem, and ride a large.
    DanK: We're about the same height, have about the same inseam: I thought I wanted a large, but am debating going with a medium. Right now, I ride a 19" IH Azure. (23.5" TT, 11cm stem, 0-setback post, EC70 bars) I like the way it handles--for a XC bike. The bikes are nearly identical in terms of fitment. Assuming that stability on tech sections and downhills (and combinations of the two) would be greatly enhanced with the slacker HT and 10cm stem, I'm concerned about any negative effects during steep climbing. How do you like the handling with your setup?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by perioeci
    DanK: We're about the same height, have about the same inseam: I thought I wanted a large, but am debating going with a medium. Right now, I ride a 19" IH Azure. (23.5" TT, 11cm stem, 0-setback post, EC70 bars) I like the way it handles--for a XC bike. The bikes are nearly identical in terms of fitment. Assuming that stability on tech sections and downhills (and combinations of the two) would be greatly enhanced with the slacker HT and 10cm stem, I'm concerned about any negative effects during steep climbing. How do you like the handling with your setup?
    PM sent.

  21. #21
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,516

    Note about SMALL frames and medium riders

    So, I ended up going with a small frame even though Tall Tom's guidance pointed to someone my height on a medium. I think the medium would be fine but the small is feeling so good it is hard to imagine the medium as better. The main measure is the top tube and there is only 0.8" difference between the two. I knew I fit bikes with similar geometry that are inbetween the two Mojo sizes and decided a bit smaller was likely better than a bit bigger for MY body. I am very happy with the fit.

    Anyway, here's the note for anyone above 5'7" or with an inseam over 30" who goes for a small frame:

    1. You will likely be best off with a seatpost that is 400mm length. The seat tube length on the small is short (15.5"). My inseam is 31.5" and a 367mm post is just long enough for optimal reach to the 175mm cranks. With shorter cranks, I think I would need a 400mm post.
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 11-18-2006 at 09:25 AM.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MJ51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    So, I ended up going with a small frame even though Tall Tom's guidance pointed to someone my height on a medium. I think the medium would be fine but the small is feeling so good it is hard to imagine the medium as better. The main measure is the top tube and there is only 0.8" difference between the two. I knew I fit bikes with similar geometry that are inbetween the two Mojo sizes and decided a bit smaller was likely better than a bit bigger for MY body. I am very happy with the fit.

    Anyway, here's the note for anyone above 5'7" or with an inseam over 30" who goes for a small frame:

    1. You will likely be best off with a seatpost that is at least 367mm in length. The seat tube length on the small is short (15.5"). My inseam is 31.5" and a 367mm post is just long enough for optimal reach to the 175mm cranks. With shorter cranks, I think I would need a 400mm post.
    Pics? Did you end up with a seatpost with setback? I just switched to a layback post on my Med frame and it feels alot better. On the straight post I felt too "over the cranks". I know this is personal preference. I did notice that now that I have the bike really dialed in, the old rule of thumb still applies. My front axel is hidden by the bars when in normal riding position. This was a rule of thumb back in the early 90's and still seems to hold true for me today.

    If I could suggest something, go for the 400mm post. Although you might be within the insertion range specified on your current post, having so little inserted into the frame is very stressful on frames. I've cracked two AL frames at the toptube/seattube junction due to this. The longer the seat post is, inserted into the frame, the happier and stronger that frame will be.

  23. #23
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ51
    Pics? Did you end up with a seatpost with setback? I just switched to a layback post on my Med frame and it feels alot better. On the straight post I felt too "over the cranks". .........

    The longer the seat post is, inserted into the frame, the happier and stronger that frame will be.
    Here are pics while not yet finished: One carbon beauty of a Mojo coming together.... I have better pics now from my maiden voyage but not posted.

    I do have a layback and agree a 400mm would be a safer bet. With the layback and a 110mm stem and the handlebar height about 1" below the seat the bike feels perfectly fitted, balanced, and stable on all riding. By the way, the seat is not far back on the rails, so I think a straight post would also be workable for me with the seat to the rear of it's acceptable range.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MJ51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    Here are pics while not yet finished: One carbon beauty of a Mojo coming together.... I have better pics now from my maiden voyage but not posted.

    I do have a layback and agree a 400mm would be a safer bet. With the layback and a 110mm stem and the handlebar height about 1" below the seat the bike feels perfectly fitted, balanced, and stable on all riding. By the way, the seat is not far back on the rails, so I think a straight post would also be workable for me with the seat to the rear of it's acceptable range.
    Looks great! Same seatpost as mine. I hate the way my Thompson looks, the "elbow" in the shaft seems to be totally contradictory to the swooping curves of the frame, but heck, it fits and it works and it will last.

    The fork... you have guts my friend. It is tough to be one of the first to drop your cash on a newer product and hope it lives up to the hype. I hope it does. It looks great on the Mojo. I took a similar leap of faith with my I9 wheelset. So far no regrets.

    Great job, now ride like you stole it.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    92

    New question here. Does a layback seatpost affect suspension?

    I'm still trying to determine the correct frame size for myself, and this is an issue when bike stores just can't get stock to demo. I've tracked down an owner of a Medium frame (100mm stem, straight seat post) and found it too small. Of course that could be because my current bike (an 06 Giant Reign 2) has the same top-tube size, but runs a 110mm stem with a 35mm layback post. All up that's about 1.8" longer than the standard medium Mojo. My height incidently is 176cm (I think that's 5'9" and a half).

    My question is whether or not I should aim for a medium frame and put a 110mm stem and layback seat post to match my current bike, or go for a large frame? I may in fact have to still lengthen the cockpit I feel, but I wont know until the bike comes into the LBS in about 6 weeks.
    Since the mojo comes with a straight seatpost, one might assume that the suspension and overall handling is optimized as such. Can anyone comment on this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •