mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Mojo Fork Choices.......?

Well, I've done a lot of reading and now its time to decide on a fork for the Mojo as the frame will be here Thursday.

I'm coming from a 2006 Epic with a Fox F100 with lockout. We do a considerable amount of climbing so the idea of a fork you can lower the front on appeals to me. The build is not weenie, but its light with SLR wheels, XTR and XO components. Most of the riding I do is cross country, singletrack, fireroads, occasional rock garden and a little downhill. I don't do 4 ft drops or jumps.

Narrowed the choice to:

1 Fox 32 Talas MSRP $699 that I can get for just under $600.

2 Fox Vanilla 32 for under $450

3 Pace Fighter RC41 at $800.

Thought about a Fox 36 but I do not want to mess with the axle - it needs to use a quick release because I have SLR wheels and do not want to change the front hub. However, wanted something strong - I weigh 190# and I'm going to run 2.35 tires - probably Nevergal and Blue Groove combination.

Interested in the Pace, but the price is almost double choice #2 and doesn't have the reputation the Fox products have - couple people on the board have tried them and had good comments so far.

Questions for those of you that went the Pace Fighter route - did you consider the non-fighter version of the RC41? If so, why did you go the Fighter route?
    Why go the Pace route over the Fox besides its carbon?

Thanks,
    Alex
    "Nothing is free."

Ibis Mojo / Parlee Z5 / Colnago Master Zabel / Cannondale Tandem / Civia Loring w/bamboo fenders

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by B_Aero
    Questions for those of you that went the Pace Fighter route - did you consider the non-fighter version of the RC41? If so, why did you go the Fighter route?

Thanks,
    Alex
    The Fighter RC41 is 150mm and the RC41XCAm is 130mm. I wanted the longer travel. The Pace is incredibly stiff while also being the lightest 150mm fork that I know of.

your picks are good forks but make sure you understand there are big differences.

The Talas is an adjustable travel air fork. It seems most people find little use in adjusting travel on the Mojo, though some like it.

The Vanilla is not adjustable travel and is a spring fork.

The Pace is not adjustable travel (but has lock down with adjustable blow off) and is a air fork.

If you like spring forks, Pace makes one of those too. If you like air forks, maybe give the Fox Float a look. If you want adjustable travel, Pace also makes one of those.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Narrowed the choice to:

1 Fox 32 Talas MSRP $699 that I can get for just under $600.

2 Fox Vanilla 32 for under $450

3 Pace Fighter RC41 at $800.

Thought about a Fox 36 but I do not want to mess with the axle - it needs to use a quick release because I have SLR wheels and do not want to change the front hub. However, wanted something strong - I weigh 190# and I'm going to run 2.35 tires - probably Nevergal and Blue Groove combination.

Interested in the Pace, but the price is almost double choice #2 and doesn't have the reputation the Fox products have - couple people on the board have tried them and had good comments so far.

Thanks,
    Alex
    I am reaching the point of been quite disappointed with the Fox Float RLC: no matter what I do the fork seems to settle in a place where it gets at most 4" of travel. I put in lower density oil in the RL, I took out some of the Fox oil from the LL ... it seems to help for a while and then strangely enough the fork seems to increase compression dumping toward the end of the travel I have no idea why ...

So: my suggestion is to stay away from the Fox Float or Talas. I was happy with my Vanilla Fox/PUSH 130mm and I will convert my float to coil. The fork that might be worth waiting for is the new Marzocchi 55: 4.93 lbs w/ axle Adjustable 125mm-165mm travel on the fly 20mm quick release axle
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Foxes

If I understand correctly the RLC is the same as the Talas, but the Talas allows for adjustments in travel from 100mm to 140mm. The RLC has rebound, compression and lockout features. Both of these are air sprung.

Please correct me if I'm wrong above.

I have a friend with a 2006 130mm vanilla that I may try on the Mojo once I get the frame. He speaks very highly of the Vanilla's plushness and travel. Course he is coming off an F80, so that may be part of it.

Question on the Pace - what model is the 150mm air sprung with a regular quick release? Also there is the RC40 Fighter w/LC2 - is this a coil version of the RC41? Almost $300 cheaper....

Davide - do you know if the Marz 55 will require a different axle? I want to run my SLR wheels with this bike and don't want to switch out the front hub.

Thanks for the wealth of info!
    "Nothing is free."

Ibis Mojo / Parlee Z5 / Colnago Master Zabel / Cannondale Tandem / Civia Loring w/bamboo fenders

flow where ever you go

Question on the Pace - what model is the 150mm air sprung with a regular quick release? Also there is the RC40 Fighter w/LC2 - is this a coil version of the RC41? Almost $300 cheaper....

!
    RC41 Fighter comes in both thru axle and quick release versions. If it doesn't say "20mm" in the description, it's quick release.

Yes, the RC40 is the coil version of the RC41. The RC40 is also adjustable travel from 120-150mm. Prices on both have come down, but I don't think the RC40 was always that much lower. But your right, the price of the RC 40 Fighter is almost in the normal range for a good fork while the RC41 is still pricey.

mtbr member

Alternatively

if you get a baby blue Mojo, you can match it up with the new Manitou... which supposedly should weigh in at 3.3 lbs...

Trail Rider

Talas RLC here

Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    I am reaching the point of been quite disappointed with the Fox Float RLC: no matter what I do the fork seems to settle in a place where it gets at most 4" of travel. I put in lower density oil in the RL, I took out some of the Fox oil from the LL ... it seems to help for a while and then strangely enough the fork seems to increase compression dumping toward the end of the travel I have no idea why ...

So: my suggestion is to stay away from the Fox Float or Talas. I was happy with my Vanilla Fox/PUSH 130mm and I will convert my float to coil. The fork that might be worth waiting for is the new Marzocchi 55: 4.93 lbs w/ axle Adjustable 125mm-165mm travel on the fly 20mm quick release axle
    I got the full 5 in. of travel on my Talas. I set it up to sag at 30% and turn up the compression to one click above center. I'm very happy with the adjustments(travel for steep climbing). I had an ETA fork that had too little travel when dialed down(last bike). I can set the stem up higher for more comfort and better DH performance, and then dial down for steep climbs.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Guys,

Here is my input based on experience with fork choices on the Mojo.

My father and I both have Mojo's. He got the Marzocchi 700SL and I got the Pace 41 fighter. I had another Marz air fork last year on my 5.5 Intense and hated it (love thier coil forks though). This 700SL is not very nice at all. 130 MM is workable on this frame but it's got to be quality travel. The 700SL does not have good action at all. There is tons of stiction, even after a few hundred miles.

On the other hand, the Pace is one of the best forks I've ever tried, and I've had all brands. It's light, very very coil like and stiff. I'm extremely pleased with it. I thought that maybe 150 MM of travel might be too much but it works well with the frame. It's worth the price.

My father is getting rid of the Marz and just ordered the coil version of the Pace (40 fighter).

I like Fox Vanilla's along with most coil Marz forks but they are too progressive for me. The Pace is one of the most linear forks I've tried

Cheers

mtbr member

oi! 30%!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro
    I got the full 5 in. of travel on my Talas. I set it up to sag at 30% and turn up the compression to one click above center. I'm very happy with the adjustments(travel for steep climbing). I had an ETA fork that had too little travel when dialed down(last bike). I can set the stem up higher for more comfort and better DH performance, and then dial down for steep climbs.
    You mean 1.65" of sag?!?! I have not tried that! but it sill makes for a 4" travel fork that just does not seem right ... my Vanilla had full travel with a much more normal 10-15% of sag.

To answer B_aero: YES, unfortunately the Marz 55 will have a 20mm thru-axle

flow where ever you go

Down side of Pace in the USA

Now with two very favorable reviews of the Pace, let me temper it with one piece of reality.

Parts are easily available for servicing, but since it is such a rare fork, there are no DIY instructions. There are only two service centers in the USA (QBP and GarageWorks in Irvine, CA.). That means shipping the fork for service. Now that DTSwiss owns Pace forks, I think there will soon be more forks sold here and more shops authorized to work on them (I hope).

That said, the fork is incredible and shows no signs of needing service as yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

This week

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm going to try my friend's Vanilla 130 on the Mojo to see if I like the feel of a coil fork. If so, I will look at the new Vanilla fork and the Pace RC40. I think I'm going to want to lower the front end for climbing, but we'll see once I get the bike built.

Anyone here run bolt on axles to increase the strength / tortional rigidity on just regular 5" travel forks? If it works in 20mm, why wouldn't it work the same just by replacing the QR with something more sturdy?

-Alex
    "Nothing is free."

mtbr member

New Marzocchi XC 700 ATA

Davide - do you know if the Marz 55 will require a different axle? I want to run my SLR wheels with this bike and don't want to switch out the front hub.Singletr
    This has standard axle: it seems to be a direct competitor of the FOX FLOAT 140. Here is the description lifted from Singletrack ... I think my float might be on tits way out ...

Marzocchi XC 700 ATA It features 100mm to 140mm air sprung travel. The ATA (Air Travel Adjust) allows for 40mm of travel adjustment while one Schraeder valve at the top takes care of both postive and negative pressures. A second valve at the bottom of the fork controls the progression curve and bottom-out. On the top of the other leg is the TST Micro lever - this is a (thankfully) simplified version of the TST5 lever, which had five different compression settings. There's now a much simpler lever that changes the compression anywhere from light to full-lock. The forks are post mount, have 32mm nickel coated stanchions and weight 3.75lbs.

mtbr member
    Just to add to the mix, why not add the RS Revelation to your list. It is a 4lb 130mm fork that is very tunable (and I occasionally get full travel when I do something very bad) and can have adjustable travel. I just overhauled mine and it is simpler to maintain yourself than a Talas. The performance out of the box is the equivalent of a Pushed Talas in my opinion. And best of all, you can get it for around $400 online. Also, any competent shop can overhaul the fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

First ride impressions....

Got it built on Saturday and took it out for the inaugural ride on Sunday - 24 miles with just over 2000 feet of climbing.

Trail included fire road and single track, some switchbacks and logs, no drops or big jumps.

I'm impressed - it rides like a couch compared to the Epic, plus the seating position is a lot more laid back which I like. The seatpost lowered about an inch during the ride and when I went to tighten it the black plastic thingy broke.

The Vanilla front fork (130mm borrowed from a friend) sure rides well. It seems like a nice match for the RP23 and the bike. A little more travel and I think I might be there. Don't know if I'm going the Talas route - the Vanilla is sooo plush. Everyone that comments about the Vanilla and some that switch seem to regret it. Honestly I didn't feel like I needed to lower the front end - even on the 15% plus grades - and I have like 8 spacers on there.

I did notice some odd creaking when really hammering on the cranks. I think it maybe because I don't have the correct number of spacers on the XTR cranks and need one or two more links in the chain. I will address those and see if makes a difference.

Also need to watch the bb height - through a couple rocky areas it was close.

Best part was the climbing - for a bike with almost 6 inches of travel it should not climb this well. I didn't even use the pro-pedal - no need in my opinion. I set the sag to about 20% and off I went.

Overall I think this bike will be great for 90% of the riding we do - climbing, single track, bombing down the hills, etc... Not sure if it will be something I'd take to Downieville or not, we'll see (anyone here done this?)

-Alex
    "Nothing is free."