mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Mojo flex...what's going on?

So what's the deal with all the reports of "flexy" Mojos? ? I've put around a 1000 miles on my Mojo in the last year and have never felt anything I could identify as flex related to the frame. My bike has the Lopes link and I weigh in at around 175-180 dressed to ride. While no downhiller, I ride pretty aggressively and love flinging the bike into corners.

What baffles me is the reports of people on demo rides that feel the bike flex so much they think something is broken. I'm not doubting they feel the flex, but the reports seem so out of character with my experience I wonder if something else is going on. Could these reports be from riding bikes with some kind of frame related manufactures defect? Is it just bike set up? Or are some people just more sensitive to any type of flex?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ripn; 03-06-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Turn off the TV
    I think some people read the forums and read too much into it. I have had my bike for about 3 years and found the Lopes link to work better than the seperate links. I like my bike. Just had everything PUSHED and it's super plush now.

mtbr member
    Flex is relative. If you haven't ridden a similar full suspension bike with a stiffer rear end, you might not notice it since you don't have a reference point.

A lot of Mojo owners claimed that the bike wasn't flexy back when using the two piece upper link, but then upgraded to the one-piece link because it somehow improved the ride quality. So I think that some people aren't as sensitive to the flex, or don't realize what it feels like. If you like the bike, then don't worry what others are saying. I tend to point out the deficiencies so that Ibis will hopefully improve on the next generation of Mojo's.

MTB B'dos
    Well if the difference is the Lopes link is a 1 piece deal and the stock links are 2 piece then right there you have some flex issues Also YES, some people are way more attuned to how a bike/car/whatever rides/drives/feels than others - I am one and it can be annoying at times how easily you feel stuff slightly out of whack.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

The Crow
    Depends what bike you come from and the build. My SL (no LL) was build for AM use and I didn't notice any flex. Till I rode a Morewood Mbuzi. Alu 6" monster with Maxle rear. Sure the Mojo felt abit more "flexy", but that by no means mean that the bike has FLEX.

I suppose its the same when going from QR fork to TA just for the sake of it. Before the change you will most likely not notice any flex, till you fit a stiffer TA fork. Then when you go back you immediately notice the dif.

Ride your bikes - there are very bikes out there can roll with a Mojo. Even after years unchanged on the market its still a class leader.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Obviously some people coming from a stiffer huge pivots frame are gonna feel some flex!
    I had a DW linked Iron Horse MKIII which was very sturdy for a trail frame...it felt somewhat flexy too!
    Reason why it felt somewhat flexy? The bike that I used before the MKIII was an Orange 223 DH bike.....

That has a LOT to do with the new feeling of a....new....frame.

I've ridden my uncles Ibis SL and it feels super stiff! Lopes link and all it's a very sturdy bike! Not freeride stiffness but..overall a very solid frame!

Slothful dirt hippie
    I don't know what the heck is going on. I keep wondering if there's some difference in the frames or linkages that people are experiencing? I'm coming from Marin's last year of 3" single pivot to the Mojo, and with only maybe 100 miles tops on it so far my biggest 'problem' is wanting to hit bigger stuff than I ever dreamed possible. I've stood and hammered uphill, banked it hard into berms, and hit some stuff that knocked the wheel sideways at good speed downhill. So far it feels like piloting a rock-solid rocket ship no matter what I try.

Having said that... I'm about #150 and as a woman there's only so many watts I can crank out. I've got a #200+ friend with legs like a bull who hopped on, and at first glance it sure looked more noodly under him than it feels when I ride it. Of course the suspension fore and aft was set up for me, which definitely could have contributed to that impression, so.... who knows.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Doesnt ride Banshees
    I posted my findings on here a while back. The Mojo I rode was suuuper flexy. I was totally sold on everything about the bike until the test ride, which gave me cold feet and sent me the other direction. Alot of people replied their mojo frames are really stiff, which I found perplexing. Deep down I still want to believe in the bike, but it'd take another test frame to convert me. Even then I'd be concerned that I'd get one of the "flexy frames" instead of one of the "stiff frames." I have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept that carbon construction can vary so significantly from frame to frame though, which is the driving force behind my thinking that the frame and I just aren't a match. Oh well, someday I'll own a carbon bike, but for now its another year on my Trance X

Slothful dirt hippie
    Well... there's nothing stopping you from trying a different one, especially one that someone else of a similar size that didn't think it had the problem. Might be an interesting experiment actually.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

bike rider
    Most lightish wheels have enough flex to not be able to get the frame to flex. If someone thinks the Mojo is flexy they should swap to a FR rear wheel with bolt on axle and see if they can still feel the flex.
    This bike is designed to be built light and climbed a lot, not stiff and burly (that's why they made the HD). Some people who try the Mojo forget that and want it to be more FR feeling.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 03-17-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    Keep the Country country.

aka dan51
    It's possible the bike tested had a broken lower link.
    Busted lower pivot link
    That would cause some flex.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterDave
    Flex is relative.
    Yep. Before the lopes link came out, Derby swore up and down that the Mojo was plenty stiff and on part with anything else out there. When he finally got the link, he then started saying that finally AFTER getting the link, it was on part with everything else. If you don't have a good point of reference, you may not notice flex, and it may not be important. My foes was VERY stiff, but poor suspension. My turner is stiffer than most (not as much as the foes), but has good suspension, which makes it a good tradeoff for me. Some people are sensitive to this and can feel the difference in control, and some can not. No matter what, you need some kind of reference point.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    It's possible the bike tested had a broken lower link.
    Busted lower pivot link
    That would cause some flex.
    True.

It is possible that both observations are true. A frame with a bad main pivot will ride terribly. Of course it would be replaced at no charge even if after the 3 year warranty.

There has been a steady improvement in the construction over the years as well and the Lopes Link was also was a nice step forward.

The Lopes Link is a big change in feel compared to the separate links and most people like it better / more accurate steering / better acceleration...

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.