mtbr member
    Feb 2006

MoJo or Ellsworth Epiphany

Hey I'm looking at the epiphany or the mojo...Has anyone rode both? What have you found better? Strengths of each? Suspension system? Frame :Carbon vs Aluminum? Any availible info or input would help? I coming from a xcountry background but I ride more agressively but not quite freeride. I'm 5'5" 150-160#s. Thanks

www.derbyrims.com
    I replied to your first post in All Mountain forum to reach a different audience.

I'm sure if you ask in the Ellsworth forum you'll find a different perspective.

mtbr member
    I had a very brief 15 minute ride on each at the InterBike demo day with each of these bikes. Actually the Epiphany was at the top of my "want list" with the Titus Moto Lite in second and the Ibis a distant third. They all handled great on the singletrack, but where I was totally sold on the Ibis was it's amazing ability to climb efficiently while still remaining totally active. At first I thought the bike was set up too stiff in the rear due to the lack of bobbing, but standing up with a good bounce on the pedals proved me wrong. Must be that trick DW linkage. One anomaly I did notice on the Epiphany was my knees were occasionally bumping on the magnesium rocker arms.

BWT, I come from a similar riding background as you and am probably in the same catagory you describe riding today.

Needless to say I've got a Mojo in my shop that is slowly coming together. Can't wait!
    My Wanted List:

1. '87 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue (small)

mtbr member

Dave Weagle and IBIS: thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by filegiant
    I had a very brief 15 minute ride on each at the InterBike demo day with each of these bikes. Actually the Epiphany was at the top of my "want list" with the Titus Moto Lite in second and the Ibis a distant third. They all handled great on the singletrack, but where I was totally sold on the Ibis was it's amazing ability to climb efficiently while still remaining totally active. At first I thought the bike was set up too stiff in the rear due to the lack of bobbing, but standing up with a good bounce on the pedals proved me wrong. Must be that trick DW linkage.

BWT, I come from a similar riding background as you and am probably in the same catagory you describe riding today.

Needless to say I've got a Mojo in my shop that is slowly coming together. Can't wait!
    I cannot comment on the Ellsworth, but I own a Turner Horst 5-spot (2003) and I just finished to put together my Mojo last Fri. I went for a couple of short 30' rides on familiar trails and the performance is day and night.

Besides the fact that set up of the bike is non-existent compared to my other bike (I just decreased pressure to 140, the Rp3 came at 150 from the factory, checked the rebound, no propedal and off I went), the quality of the ride of the DW is something one must experience.

I might eventually get into details after I spend some real time on the bike but it is very easy to give a pre-review:
    • Superb Traction - climbing on wet or steps the rear is always planted on the ground +
    • Very controlled downhill - surefooted and smooth are words that come to mind +
    • Efficient - you just pedal and it moves forward like a HT, but .. it has 5.5" travel ++++
    • No brake-jack I can detect
    • Compliant - yes: all that and you are on top of a VERY plush bike, no compromise with small bump compliance +++
    • Light - with 180/160 disks, 2.4/2.25 tires and a Fox/PUSH Vanilla fork the bike comes in at an amazing 24.5 pounds, easy to do starting from a 5.6 pounds frame +

If you care about comparisons the pluses indicate a preliminary scoring in respect to my previous bike that is already considered a very good one (no minuses I can detect). What to say: after 15 years of full suspension MTB: FINALLY something that just works, no mess no fuss, I am sure I will fidget a bit (maybe trying a coil in the rear) but I must say (as a lot of people have been saying on these pages) that Dave Weagle really came up with a great suspension system and IBIS made a work of art that is just almost too beautiful: quite stunning and the care spent on the details of the frame is just amazing.
    Last edited by Davide; 02-27-2007 at 10:20 AM.