mtbr member

Mojo on downhill?

What caracter is Mojo and how far can you go with him on downhill?

braco

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Others would be able to better comment on this probably, but...

For me the frame design is really nice for fast and technical downhill. I am *REALLY* happy with the mojo downhill now that I have changed the rear shock from the Fox RP23 to a Fox Coil Shock. (I just went with a Rox Vanilla since I couldn't get a Roco TST in the size for the frame.

But I have not taken the mojo on any lift assisted stuff yet (I will out of curiosity, but I have a downhill rig I ride at places like Keystone and Whistler). I can say that when I turn it downhill on trails like Porcupine Rim I have never been wanting for more out of the mojo - it is my skills and confidence that is holding me back not the bike.

I think if you read reviews and ride reports a common theme is that it climbs technically as well as any of the other high end "cross country" bikes around, but once you turn it downhill it is just unfair to even compare the mojo to those rides.

I personally wanted a bike I could ride anywhere, but I didn't need it to be able to ride like my Intense M1 in downhill runs. But the more I ride it the more I plan on using it in Super-D this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Braco
    What caracter is Mojo and how far can you go with him on downhill?

braco
    I used to have a bike considered a good allmountain downhiller (Turner 5-spot 2003 with 5.3", i.e. 0.2" less, travel) and the Mojo by comparison is a better.

With identical components it feels more rigid in the rear in the turns (zero wobbling), it is more stable (when you choose a direction it keeps it with very little fuss), and at the same time it is more manuvrable. The rear suspension is wonderful downhill and with the rigid frame and great handling it makes for a bike that is VERY downhill capable.

Most of the Mojo/Dw-link stellar reputation is made out of the uphill performance, it is kind of a pity: this bike is at least as capable downhill.

I am not sure how far you can push it, certanly more then my limited skill would allow ... I am getting in trouble

mtbr member
    thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Good job!

It performs as good as any downhill specific bike that I know. When you leave the body armor crowd in your dust (on 8in. travel bikes), you know there is something special about it. I have sent three people to Calgary Cycle to buy one after they just had to find out how I seriously beat them down the mountain on a bike that had 3in. less travel, and weighed 10 - 15 lbs lighter! Maybe I should ask for commision!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    hmm, since you guys are talking bout Mojo on downhill, is it okay doing some jumps with a carbon bike? or cycle down the stairs with a carbon bike? Im not sure bout this though

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    hmm, since you guys are talking bout Mojo on downhill, is it okay doing some jumps with a carbon bike? or cycle down the stairs with a carbon bike? Im not sure bout this though
    On Mojo bikes there are some riders doing jumps and stunts. Im 200 lbs and regularly do 3 4 foot to near flat landing. The pictures in Mountain Bike Action magazine last year show a magazine rider logging some air time.

No one has reported here on MTBR of breaking any Mojo frame or part, nor damage other than scrapes and scuffs to the finish.

If your question is more general about carbon-fiber bikes, then like any frame material it depends on the bikes design quality. The Mojo can take very big hits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    cool, im soo getting a Mojo as soon as I start working, I can build it as a XCish bike that can handle stairs and jump abuse, sweet. Just what I wanted on my next bike list. A lightweight 5inch Trail Bike which weight is around 12kg and I want to try carbon

mtbr member
    The Mojo is a very adept downhilling machine. I found out today for the first time. It worked very well at the ski area. Better than I had originally anticipated. I'm stoked.